The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

And What Are You Having...........?

+8
Maverick
beninho
drive4show
Noshankingtonite
oldshanker
oldparwin
kwinigolfer
Doon the Water
12 posters

Go down

And What Are You Having...........? Empty And What Are You Having...........?

Post by Doon the Water Mon 01 Aug 2011, 6:48 pm

What golfer [dead or alive] would you like to meet in your local pub for a drink and a blether.

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

And What Are You Having...........? Empty Re: And What Are You Having...........?

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 01 Aug 2011, 7:04 pm

The story goes that when Darren Clarke won the 2003 WGC at Firestone he flew by himself that evening to the Boston area for his next event. He fancied a drink and pitched up at a local R.I. tavern where, unrecognised, he downed a few Ale s reflecting upon fame, the fickle nature of life (especially to him) and celebrity.
I would like to have shared a few drinks with him that night, sure the conversation would have been way more than extremely interesting.

So DC.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

And What Are You Having...........? Empty Re: And What Are You Having...........?

Post by oldparwin Mon 01 Aug 2011, 7:10 pm

Would not mind sitting in the Bay Hill clubhouse listening to Arnie telling his tales about his golfing triumphs/failures, and then after a hearty breakfast going out to play 18 holes with him and his pals. Yahoo

oldparwin

Back to top Go down

Post by oldshanker Mon 01 Aug 2011, 7:51 pm

In his heyday, he knew how to throw a party..... 'Champagne' Tony Lema. He also was a very fine golfer and died tragically young - 32 I believe.
oldshanker
oldshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by Noshankingtonite Mon 01 Aug 2011, 8:05 pm

Walter Hagen to hear some of his stories (and if I possible) to be transported back in time and cop off with one his women hangers on. Although not a pro golfer, hanging out with Deano and the other Rat Packers would have been pretty Cool too for the same reasons..... RedWine randy
Noshankingtonite
Noshankingtonite

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Mon 01 Aug 2011, 9:51 pm

Seve. End of. No competition.

When I was learning the game, he was the one I imagined I was, playing miraculous recoveries, amazing up and downs, piercing irons into greens.

And one of the most passionate golfers of my generation. More charisma in his wedge than the rest of the tour put together.

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Tue 02 Aug 2011, 8:29 am

Tiger.

Think of the stories he has got. Also get to act as his wingman and pick off the castoffs.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Tue 02 Aug 2011, 9:04 am

i think the Tiger reasoning is a good one, as there'd be plenty to share around Whistle

However i'd probably go for Ben Hogan to learn from the man how he dedicated himself to rebuilding his game after the accident

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Tue 02 Aug 2011, 9:31 am

I think I would go for Babe Zaharias.
She packed a lot into her short life, and had a joy for life.
Played basketball, baseball and starred at athletics
Norwegian immigrant to USA
Two gold medals and a silver at the 1932 Olympics
Great golf record
First female to play in a mens Pro event
Diagnosed with colon cancer she played golf to the end, even won two womens events shortly before her intimely death

I met her husband who was a wrestler he was quite a guy.

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Tue 02 Aug 2011, 10:25 am

Has to be Lee Trevino for me.
Obviously a great golfer but in addition self taught (never had a coach), left school at 14, served in the US Marine Corps, grew up in a mexican family living in the US, worked his way up as a club pro, lots of skin game stories and would be funny as hell!
I can't think of any golfer i'd rather have a beer with!
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Wed 03 Aug 2011, 10:51 am

I did see Ernie Els in a bar called Raquels just outside of Orlando airport in 2007...I was going to go over for a quick chat but he was enjoying the company of a couple of lap dancers at the time!

BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Wed 03 Aug 2011, 10:57 am

BlueCoverman wrote:I did see Ernie Els in a bar called Raquels just outside of Orlando airport in 2007...I was going to go over for a quick chat but he was enjoying the company of a couple of lap dancers at the time!

Allegedly! thumbsup Laugh
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Wed 03 Aug 2011, 12:42 pm

It was indeed the big man himself...very late on the Sunday night of the Arnold Palmer Invitational at Bay Hill

BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Wed 03 Aug 2011, 12:44 pm

BlueCoverman wrote:I did see Ernie Els in a bar called Raquels just outside of Orlando airport in 2007...I was going to go over for a quick chat but he was enjoying the company of a couple of lap dancers at the time!

He's a top bloke, you should have gone over. He would probably have paid for a dance for you Wink

Alledgedly Whistle

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Wed 03 Aug 2011, 12:50 pm

He is a top bloke agreed d4s...but I was getting in enough trouble without any of his help! Very Happy

BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Wed 03 Aug 2011, 1:11 pm

BlueCoverman wrote:He is a top bloke agreed d4s...but I was getting in enough trouble without any of his help! Very Happy

Just for your own protection, would you like to amend that to "I was allegedly getting in enough trouble without any of his help" ??

Whistle

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Wed 03 Aug 2011, 1:27 pm

".....without any of his alleged help" Whistle
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Wed 03 Aug 2011, 3:43 pm

Probably Hagen, Palmer or Trevino for me.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Wed 03 Aug 2011, 3:47 pm

I forgot about trevino I could share some stories with him, i think sod the what am i having and arrange a poker night. Me, Trevino, Darren Clarke and Hagen share some beers and few hands of cards, be some serious stories coming out of that night and get ernie to bring his alleged dancing friends

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Wed 03 Aug 2011, 3:52 pm

Maverick wrote:I forgot about trevino I could share some stories with him, i think sod the what am i having and arrange a poker night. Me, Trevino, Darren Clarke and Hagen share some beers and few hands of cards, be some serious stories coming out of that night and get ernie to bring his alleged dancing friends

And invites to all 606v2 members obviously?? Hug
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Wed 03 Aug 2011, 3:58 pm

MPB i think thats a a given.

v2 guys, my place, poker with the above players plus ernies dancing ladies and when they get bored Tiger can swoop in with his little black book.

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Wed 03 Aug 2011, 4:22 pm

I'm there
Whatever the date, wherever the venue.........
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Wed 03 Aug 2011, 4:36 pm

Trevino would annoy the hell out of me. Rent a joke and really not that funny. The Jimmy Tarbuck of golf.
Think Id have a few pints with Lukey D, seems like a very nice chap and might even ask the odd question about your own life.
I had a few beers with Billy Connolly once, he certainly had a few tales to tell but anyones voice gets a bit dull after a while when they are banging on about themselves.
My best ever celeb chat was when I went to watch TVAM, think it was that anyway, when Jimmy Greaves was on. My missus at the time worked there and we sat down to have breakfast after with the Jimmy and the guests for that day who just happened to be George Best and Madness. Madness was all top blokes but without a drink in him George was not a very interesting man.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Wed 03 Aug 2011, 4:47 pm

Harsh Digs, that one iron joke is a classic!

"The older I get the better I used to be!"

Come on!
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Wed 03 Aug 2011, 4:47 pm

If your going for Lukey D it has to be wine then and not beer. Doesn't he have his own Vineyards and label of wine

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Wed 03 Aug 2011, 5:14 pm

Diggers: Have to disagree with you on Super Mex. I'm sure he'd be a laugh and I wouldn't mind picking his golfing brain either. Maybe over tequila or margeritas though rather than beer.

Maverick wrote:v2 guys, my place, poker with the above players plus ernies dancing ladies and when they get bored Tiger can swoop in with his little black book

Sounds like fun!
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Noshankingtonite Wed 03 Aug 2011, 9:30 pm

Yahoo
Maverick wrote:v2 guys, my place, poker with the above players plus ernies dancing ladies and when they get bored Tiger can swoop in with his little black book

It goes without saying that Megan 'The Fox' and any other young babes you happen to invite will be there too Bubbly

Last edited by Noshankingtonite on Wed 03 Aug 2011, 9:34 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)
Noshankingtonite
Noshankingtonite

Back to top Go down

Post by Noshankingtonite Wed 03 Aug 2011, 9:32 pm

PS - I may have to reconsider bringing Deano along - that is competition I definitely could do without thumbsdown
Noshankingtonite
Noshankingtonite

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Wed 03 Aug 2011, 9:35 pm

Jings this is worrying, I'm agreeing with Diggers again.
With Trevino it was all a mask to hide his nerves, same as Zoellor.
Trevino seems to be a bit of a recluse nowadays.

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Wed 03 Aug 2011, 10:10 pm

Diggers wrote:Trevino would annoy the hell out of me. Rent a joke and really not that funny. The Jimmy Tarbuck of golf.
Think Id have a few pints with Lukey D, seems like a very nice chap and might even ask the odd question about your own life.
I had a few beers with Billy Connolly once, he certainly had a few tales to tell but anyones voice gets a bit dull after a while when they are banging on about themselves.
My best ever celeb chat was when I went to watch TVAM, think it was that anyway, when Jimmy Greaves was on. My missus at the time worked there and we sat down to have breakfast after with the Jimmy and the guests for that day who just happened to be George Best and Madness. Madness was all top blokes but without a drink in him George was not a very interesting man.

Jimmy is well into his golf these days and now part owns The Notleys Golf Club in Essex

BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Thu 04 Aug 2011, 10:44 am

Doon the Water wrote:With Trevino it was all a mask to hide his nerves, same as Zoellor.

And?
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Thu 04 Aug 2011, 11:10 am

I always thought that Trevino should have won more. He tightened up a bit when he was in the lead.

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum