The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Andre Ward: 'I don't feel that I'm getting my just due or respect'

+7
Steffan
Super D Boon
88Chris05
AlexHuckerby
Mind the windows Tino.
BALTIMORA
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
11 posters

Go down

Andre Ward: 'I don't feel that I'm getting my just due or respect' Empty Andre Ward: 'I don't feel that I'm getting my just due or respect'

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Tue 2 Aug 2011 - 13:14

Here is a link with a Q&A session with Andre Ward.

I read the first half of this article and could read no more. The guy is a plank and I can't take him serious.

If he wants the respect he craves then he needs to earn it by impressing the Boxing World. Something I feel he hasn't done. If anything, his dirty tactics and boring style make him unbearable to watch.

I have followed the Super 6 since it started and have watched most of the fights live. All bar Wards.

He needs to win this fight in style either Ko'ing Carl or battering him, and his style and record (and Frochs recent form & Chin) suggest he ain't gonna do this on 29th Oct.

Heres the link!

http://ringtv.craveonline.com/blog/168331-ward-i-dont-feel-that-im-getting-my-just-do-or-respect

Thoughts on Wards comments would be great to hear!

Cheers

DeeMcK
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Andre Ward: 'I don't feel that I'm getting my just due or respect' Empty Re: Andre Ward: 'I don't feel that I'm getting my just due or respect'

Post by BALTIMORA Tue 2 Aug 2011 - 13:23

I don't care for him either. Yes, he has skills and a bit of speed, but while he's allowed the favour of the ref and hometown judges he'll no doubt continue to display the same dull, foul-filled style he's shown thus far.

He had the gall to complain that Bika was rough in their fight, a fight that was certainly closer than the 120-108 scorecard suggests.

The simple fact he calls himself 'Son Of God' is proof enough for me that the guy isn't playing with a full deck.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Andre Ward: 'I don't feel that I'm getting my just due or respect' Empty Re: Andre Ward: 'I don't feel that I'm getting my just due or respect'

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 2 Aug 2011 - 13:29

It always rankles with me the "Son of God" business. Whatever you believe, it is a little arrogant and smug to wear it on your shorts in my opinion.

I remember before the first Holyfield v Lewis fight and Evander was rattling on about knocking Lennox out in the third round because God had told him it would be. Lewis just questioned why God was only in Evander's corner and not his.

As for his style, yes it is pretty ugly sometimes, but so far it has been mighty effective for him. He obviously has skills, and he has made an impact in a short career, but he is a rough son of a gun that is for sure. I feel he will nick the win over Froch as well, unless Carl really ups his workrate.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Tue 2 Aug 2011 - 13:31

Exactly Balti,

I don't think he is anything special. Granted he digs out a win but at a cost that has fans questioning his performances.

He mentions the travelling topic saying how he has been to Greece, London, Ireland etc. Yes as an amature, like 99.9% of boxers do when they are in the unpaid ranks.

But his unwillingness to do is as a pro will hang over him especially when hes getting handed ridiculous hometown decisions.

Do we honestly see him going to Canada to fight Buté (who is just as bad) or travel to England to face Froch in a rematch if one comes up.

I feel that he is the next stay at home fighter of our generation. Surprised the Super 6 final isnt in his kitchen.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 2 Aug 2011 - 13:35

Wanna get more respect? Stop headbutting!

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Tue 2 Aug 2011 - 13:45

Seems to be getting enough recognition from where I'm standing; The Ring have him in the pound for pound top ten, which is probably a little generous, and as far as I'm concerned his relatively low fan base is befitting a fighter of such an ugly style, so he can't have any complaints there.

Personally, I don't think he comes across all that badly in that interview, at least no more than most other fighters would. I think it's clear that he does respect Froch and the threat he carries at least, hopefully this will bring out the best in him, as there is considerable talent there.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Tue 2 Aug 2011 - 13:46

As a pro he's travelled to St Lucia and the Cayman Islands, and about half a dozen different states in America. Admittedly, Froch has only fought in three foreign countries, but it's been more than three fights.

I can't shake the feeling that Showtime have Ward all set up to be their next US boxing 'star'. I mean, the Bika fight was utterly pointless. Suppose Ward had lost: we'd have been left with only one belt in the Super Six. The only conclusion I can draw is that Ward was NEVER going to lose against Bika.

For a boxer who supposedly has all this amazing talent (yes, I know he won an Olympic gold) I wonder why he continues to maul, hug and butt his opponents to grind out a win.

Finally, on the 'S.O.G.' thing; I find it a little too pious and smug for my liking, as well as being far too close to the stereotype of self-righteous Americans and their view on religion.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 2 Aug 2011 - 13:51

BALTIMORA wrote:As a pro he's travelled to St Lucia and the Cayman Islands, and about half a dozen different states in America. Admittedly, Froch has only fought in three foreign countries, but it's been more than three fights.

I can't shake the feeling that Showtime have Ward all set up to be their next US boxing 'star'. I mean, the Bika fight was utterly pointless. Suppose Ward had lost: we'd have been left with only one belt in the Super Six. The only conclusion I can draw is that Ward was NEVER going to lose against Bika.

For a boxer who supposedly has all this amazing talent (yes, I know he won an Olympic gold) I wonder why he continues to maul, hug and butt his opponents to grind out a win.

Finally, on the 'S.O.G.' thing; I find it a little too pious and smug for my liking, as well as being far too close to the stereotype of self-righteous Americans and their view on religion.

Any examples spring to mind Balti? Can't think of any myself.....

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 2 Aug 2011 - 13:51

Ward is a respectful guy generally to be fair to him, but in terms of real personality oh my goodness is he dull and the whole Son of God thing is absolutely ludicrous. His style is by far one of the most boring things to watch, I actually am not joking when I say I prefer watching Audley, I find him THAT dull.
At least Audley doesn't grab hold and butt and do the most annoying frustrating things, I watched his fight against Green, the only thing that happens is Ward leaning on him on the ropes and digging his head into him and popping a few shots and doesn't allow Green to land a thing. No doubt it is effective thus far, but not exactly going to set the world alight with this. Hope to god Froch pulls this one out of the hat and doesn't allow Ward to do his thing, hopefully he can put him into territory where he's never been before and really make him war it out and fight, just needs to stay away from the inside and really up the work rate.
Froch has said he knows how to beat Ward and has a bit of a master plan, let's only hope he puts on the show he did against Abraham!

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Tue 2 Aug 2011 - 13:53

Haven't read the interview (as it'll probably be as boring as his style) but am glad he feels the way he does.

The victory of Kessler although impressive was against a poor version of the Dane and let's be honest, anywhere else and his tactics would have resulted in DQ. The referee was a sack of human waste.

I can't help feeling sorry for Froch in that he's a lamb to the slaughter in this one. Andre Ward is SUPPOSED TO win the competition and any close rounds are going the way of the "Son of Goat".

As much as I can't stand Froch I kinda hope he fights his heart out and takes out the trash but got a feeling he'll come up a bit short in a damn fine effort.

Last edited by Super D Boon on Tue 2 Aug 2011 - 13:56; edited 1 time in total

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Tue 2 Aug 2011 - 13:54

Ward isnt interesting to watch. Not sure on him as a personality. As long as beats Froch il be happy though. I dont care what he does after that

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 2 Aug 2011 - 13:54

BALTIMORA wrote:As a pro he's travelled to St Lucia and the Cayman Islands, and about half a dozen different states in America. Admittedly, Froch has only fought in three foreign countries, but it's been more than three fights.

Only thing I can see the Bika fight being is just a bit of a stay active fight really with a tough fight coming up, all I can assume as yes it was mainly just a pointless very boring fight.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 2 Aug 2011 - 13:56

Steffan wrote:Ward isnt interesting to watch. Not sure on him as a personality. As long as beats Froch il be happy though. I dont care what he does after that

Typical Calslappy lover!
Only kidding Steffan Hug

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Tue 2 Aug 2011 - 13:57

Tino, I wouldn't even know where to start. Certainly I can't think of any I've had any contact with. Definitely not over the internet. ABSOLUTELY not on here. Just watch any of the Fox News presenters, that ought to do the trick.

As for Ward...he's yet to really awe me.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Tue 2 Aug 2011 - 14:02

Alex-I know the Bika fight was just a stay-busy fight but the fact his belt was on the line made a mockery of the other boxers who'd signed up for the Super Six. Supposing Bika had landed a big money shot from out of nowhere, what would've happened? We'd now have a final with one competitor who'd lost his belt and really didn't deserve his place in the final.

I know Bika was never going to win, but in boxing nothing's ever 100% guaranteed, and the scorecard which gave Ward every round highlighted the favouritism Ward receives at home.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 2 Aug 2011 - 14:08

Oh no mate completely 100% agree with you, the fight was mostly pointless and using the belt was just a selling tool and a relatively risky one at that, silly fight considering he could have severely messed up the Super Six Tournament.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Tue 2 Aug 2011 - 14:13

AlexHuckerby wrote:Oh no mate completely 100% agree with you, the fight was mostly pointless and using the belt was just a selling tool and a relatively risky one at that, silly fight considering he could have severely messed up the Super Six Tournament.

See, this is the thing; I'm very cynical of there ever having been any risk there. I really feel that Ward-despite not needing it-has had everything on his side. If I'm not mistaken there have been a few instances of his fights raising concerns over the judges and their nationalities.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 2 Aug 2011 - 14:15

He has had a few rounds more than he should have but really can't compare him to the really bad guys just yet anyway... Sven Ottke anyone?

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Tue 2 Aug 2011 - 14:15

silly fight considering he could have severely messed up the Super Six Tournament.
----------

Man they would have done whatever to keep the belt with Ward. Even if he was sparked the ref and judges would have propped him up, forced on him smelling salts and Bika would be held back by bouncers until Ward came round again. Andre Ward is America's answer to Sven Ottke.

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 2 Aug 2011 - 14:17

Super D Boon wrote:silly fight considering he could have severely messed up the Super Six Tournament.
----------

Man they would have done whatever to keep the belt with Ward. Even if he was sparked the ref and judges would have propped him up, forced on him smelling salts and Bika would be held back by bouncers until Ward came round again. Andre Ward is America's answer to Sven Ottke.

Cintron style!!

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Tue 2 Aug 2011 - 14:21

AlexHuckerby wrote:
Super D Boon wrote:silly fight considering he could have severely messed up the Super Six Tournament.
----------

Cintron style!!

Either that or Bika would have been disqualified for a legitimate knock out. The ref would claim that a red gloved left hook was actually a flying headbutt!

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Tue 2 Aug 2011 - 16:10

Andre Ward truely makes my blood boil, he's a REAL stay at home fighter! He's made a big deal about "travelling East" to fight Froch, who apparently has an advantage because he's fought in Atlantic city?

Give me a break...

Also, when I read he waas keeping a close eye on the judges and officials it made me wonder if he meant "I want an official that will allow me to box with my elbows and head". They guy is worse than Bradley AND Khan put together. His only decent shots come from his big silly looking bonce!

It makes me wonder how he did so well as an amateur seeing as they wear head guards?

Steffan, despite your natural hate for Froch, surely you don't want this chode to win? Froch might have called out the chosen one a few times, but it doesn't warrant him losing to a dirty fighter like Ward.

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Tue 2 Aug 2011 - 16:18

Steffan, despite your natural hate for Froch, surely you don't want this chode to win? Froch might have called out the chosen one a few times, but it doesn't warrant him losing to a dirty fighter like Ward.

------------

Can't stand Froch because he didn't just call out the chosen one but he bitched liked a Paris Hilton fangirl about the chosen one!

Really hard one for me as to which of the two I can't stand the most. Would be nice to stop the silly comparisons with Calzaghe as Froch is a league below in terms of talent and legacy but to see Ward concussed would be a pleasing sight as well.

Hmmmmm............... Headscratch

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Tue 2 Aug 2011 - 16:34

I used to hate Froch, I'm talking like... if I saw him in the street, I'd shout some verbal at him and run away hoping he didn't hit me-hate.

But I have to give him his (as the SOGGY one says) his "just dos"... He has entered super-6 and fought a long hard string of fighters.

He talks too much about being a warrior and how powerful and in shape he is, he's almost a self-help advert for Spartans. But in reflection, he just went about promoting himself the wrong way.

He was in the shadow of Calzaghe, and it hurt his feelings, what better way to promote yourself a little but to call out a big name? What he didn't quite realise however is that Joe Calzaghe was at this point being called "the Greatest British boxer ever" and was loved and revered by many in the sport for accomplishing a decent run of wins over future ATGs and keeping his "0".

When you read what they actually say about each other now, it's quite friendly. After joining the Super 6, Froch congratulated Calzaghe on his accomplishments as a dancer and Calzaghe had apparently given Froch tips on how to handle Kessler... which worked perfectly.

In truth, I bet they are great friends who spend time discussing the finer things in life, such as Carl Frochs newly instated hard standing and kitchen, over a few biscuits and a nice pot of tea.

I'll support Froch against Andre Ward, because I'd love to see the dirty S.O.B get a right ol' slap.

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Tue 2 Aug 2011 - 16:45

After joining the Super 6, Froch congratulated Calzaghe on his accomplishments as a dancer and Calzaghe had apparently given Froch tips on how to handle Kessler... which worked perfectly.

Laugh very good!

What is a "hard standing"? Headscratch

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Tue 2 Aug 2011 - 16:59

School Project wrote:I used to hate Froch, I'm talking like... if I saw him in the street, I'd shout some verbal at him and run away hoping he didn't hit me-hate.

But I have to give him his (as the SOGGY one says) his "just dos"... He has entered super-6 and fought a long hard string of fighters.

He talks too much about being a warrior and how powerful and in shape he is, he's almost a self-help advert for Spartans. But in reflection, he just went about promoting himself the wrong way.

He was in the shadow of Calzaghe, and it hurt his feelings, what better way to promote yourself a little but to call out a big name? What he didn't quite realise however is that Joe Calzaghe was at this point being called "the Greatest British boxer ever" and was loved and revered by many in the sport for accomplishing a decent run of wins over future ATGs and keeping his "0".

When you read what they actually say about each other now, it's quite friendly. After joining the Super 6, Froch congratulated Calzaghe on his accomplishments as a dancer and Calzaghe had apparently given Froch tips on how to handle Kessler... which worked perfectly.

In truth, I bet they are great friends who spend time discussing the finer things in life, such as Carl Frochs newly instated hard standing and kitchen, over a few biscuits and a nice pot of tea.

I'll support Froch against Andre Ward, because I'd love to see the dirty S.O.B get a right ol' slap.

Yea I heard this on the Steve Bunce podcast just before the Johnson fight. A bit of a kiss they both had over the phone with Calzaghe telling Froch that he was one of his biggest fans.

awwwwwwwwwwwww heart
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Tue 2 Aug 2011 - 17:23

See, I'm not making this stuff up!

Steffan, if the Lord Joe Calzaghe can forgive... I think we all can. As a humble Welshman myself I consider myself British first. And when it comes for Froch vs. Ward, I'll be cheering for the Brit.

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Tue 2 Aug 2011 - 17:35

You would think Ward had been given a hometown decision in all of his fights judging by some comments here. Hes won every fight as far as I scored them and has shown willingness to take on the best in the division. Looks like a good fighter to me who can fight effectively on the outside and inside. I think his all round game is better than Frochs so if he employs the right tactics I think he should win the Super 6. Not a hype job or manufactured champ in my view.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Tue 2 Aug 2011 - 17:50

manos de piedra wrote:You would think Ward had been given a hometown decision in all of his fights judging by some comments here. Hes won every fight as far as I scored them and has shown willingness to take on the best in the division. Looks like a good fighter to me who can fight effectively on the outside and inside. I think his all round game is better than Frochs so if he employs the right tactics I think he should win the Super 6. Not a hype job or manufactured champ in my view.

It's not the fact he won that rankles, it's the fact he's had nothing but home fights, and has been allowed to go unpunished for some pretty poor 'tactics'. Given that his winning methods seem to rely largely on some tactics of dubious legality, I'd say there is certainly an element of hype around him.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Tue 2 Aug 2011 - 17:53

It's not that he hasn't clearly won the fights Manos, it's the fact that every fighter in the tournament has moved to different locations and he has sat comfortably in Oakland in every one of his fights... he thought he was travelling when he had to drive down the road into Carson for his fight against Abraham!

It's also the nature of HOW he fights that gets my back up.

Step 1: Leap in when punching.
Step 2: Land punch - If failed, use head or elbow.
Step 3: Leap out before getting hit/anyone notices foul.

TECHNICALLY, he has good speed, foot movement and head movement. The only thing he remembered for on here at the moment is how he uses the speed of his head when leaping into his punches.

Not a hype job no, but not a classy operator either.

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Tue 2 Aug 2011 - 17:54

haha, got there first Balti!

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Tue 2 Aug 2011 - 17:59

School Project wrote:haha, got there first Balti!

Shows the general concensus though, and that people aren't simply dismissing him out of hand.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Tue 2 Aug 2011 - 18:46

Hes had it his own way with the venues so far alright but I dont think its had a major bearing on any of his results to be honest. None of his fights have been close. You might make an argument he could have had a point taken against Kessler, but it wouldnt have really changed the outcome.

I hope Froch wins, but I suspect Ward will be too good and too much of an all rounder. I think if he opts to try to beat Froch to the punch from the outside and shut down range in close then Froch will struggle to get to grips with the fight.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Tue 2 Aug 2011 - 18:52

School Project wrote:See, I'm not making this stuff up!

Steffan, if the Lord Joe Calzaghe can forgive... I think we all can. As a humble Welshman myself I consider myself British first. And when it comes for Froch vs. Ward, I'll be cheering for the Brit.

Thats up to you Uncle Taff...

All im gonna say on the matter

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Tue 2 Aug 2011 - 19:29

Uncle Taff? Surely not a Ali - Frazier reference... haha. I'm all for Queen and country my dear boy. By the way... you owe me a beer still!

Also Super D, I missed your post. A hard standing is a place to stick your car, its not quite a drive way and has no roof.

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Tue 2 Aug 2011 - 19:43

School Project wrote:Uncle Taff? Surely not a Ali - Frazier reference... haha. I'm all for Queen and country my dear boy. By the way... you owe me a beer still!

Also Super D, I missed your post. A hard standing is a place to stick your car, its not quite a drive way and has no roof.

Between a forecourt and a carport?

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Tue 2 Aug 2011 - 19:50

BALTIMORA wrote:
School Project wrote:Uncle Taff? Surely not a Ali - Frazier reference... haha. I'm all for Queen and country my dear boy. By the way... you owe me a beer still!

Between a forecourt and a carport?

Again Balti, you're spot on...

Spoiler:

This is a perfect example of a well executed Hard-Standing, Carl Froch has one too. He also fitted a decent Moben style kitchen after winning his fight against Pascal. He discusses it in his interview with the BBC after the Pascal fight... I BELIEVE he installed the Hard-Standing after the Taylor fight.

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Tue 2 Aug 2011 - 19:57

i call that a drive. or if im in highclass company, a driveway

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Tue 2 Aug 2011 - 20:57

School Project wrote:I'm all for Queen and country my dear boy. By the way... you owe me a beer still!

Il be more than happy to buy you that beer. What day does your master Lord Tudor let you out on dear boy?

And watch out for those Irish and Argentinians now. Apparently they are claiming parts of their land actually belong to them and not us...I mean have you ever heard anything so silly?

Anyway best I toddle along back down that coal mine otherwise dear old Mrs Thatcher wont be pleased...

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Tue 2 Aug 2011 - 21:02

You fellas all okay ?

Looks like playful banter to me, and if it is I'll keep my nose out.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Tue 2 Aug 2011 - 21:09

Im only bantering Windy. Dont worry me and you are still singing from the same song sheet

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Tue 2 Aug 2011 - 21:15

It certainly looked as though everything was in good spirits, mate. Good to see everybody taking the Mick in a positive manner.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Tue 2 Aug 2011 - 21:28

Yeah Windy, it's all good in the hood.

Steffan and I were discussing the importance of national spirit in a humorous way.

Did you also check out the beautiful example of a hard-standing I posted?

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Tue 2 Aug 2011 - 21:30

I did, mate. Just the sort of thing I'd go for.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Tue 2 Aug 2011 - 21:47

What specifically are the defining differences between a drive and a hard standing?

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Tue 2 Aug 2011 - 21:49

BALTIMORA wrote:What specifically are the defining differences between a drive and a hard standing?

You can enjoy both on your own, but the second is best enjoyed with a willing woman.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down