The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PGA Tour: WGC Bridgestone / Reno-Tahoe: Notes from the Ballwasher

+26
Skydriver
Redrage
super_realist
NedB-H
ralphjohn69
goldwolf
LadyPutt
Shotrock
JASON DAY RULES
Nay
venice1
prettyboytone
Sand
WillyGilly
SmithersJones
Davie
Lairdy
Maverick
hend085
sirbenson
princedracula
Eyetoldyouso
McLaren
John Cregan
EmmDee57
kwinigolfer
30 posters

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

PGA Tour: WGC Bridgestone / Reno-Tahoe: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 2 Empty PGA Tour: WGC Bridgestone / Reno-Tahoe: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 02 Aug 2011, 2:34 pm

First topic message reminder :

1).Scott Stallings, Who'd've thunk it? Nine months ago he was a struggling Nationwide Tour pro, 53rd on their moneylist and with nothing more than an exemption to the 2011 Nationwide Tour to look forward to. But an 11th place Q-School finish earned him a 2011 PGA Tour card where he promptly missed his first five cuts and was destined for a bottom placing in the Tour "reshuffle". But his Tour "mentor", Kenny Perry, secured him an invite into the Transitions Championship where he finished third, and the rest is history.

2).And what about Bob Estes, RoboPro of the 1990's, one of the slowest players on Tour and, even in the eyes of an otherwise complimentary pgatour.com article, a Tour "plodder"? A four-time Tour winner but with ZERO FedEx Cup points earned so far this season, Estes was in danger of losing his card. His 2012 remains uncertain, but at least he now has a lifeline.

3).While Bill Haas can look at another opportunity lost as he misses out in his second play-off this year. (Liked the fact that Estes's caddie come up to Haas at the play-off and told Billy he had caddied for his Dad!) Consolation for Haas is that he leap-frogged over Furyk, Toms and Van Pelt into 8th place in the Presidents Cup qualifying rankings, the top ten qualifying and Messrs Fowler and Woods well adrift.

4).Two events this week on the PGA Tour headlined by the "WGC Bridgestone Invitational", not that it's an invitational at all. Ross Fisher has sadly withdrawn due to an untimely family sickness but he'll hopefully be back for the PGA Championship. And Charlie Hoffman has a stomach problem (it's size?) and has yet to travel to Akron and Firestone Country Club.

5).The Firestone South Course has been stretched to 7,400 yards with Bert Way and Robert Trent Jones responsible for one of the Tour's most boring looking venues. Tiger Woods famously has won here seven times and he'll be trying (presumably) for number eight with childhood chum Bryon Bell on his bag. Bell is widely assumed to be one of the Tiger insiders facilitating the supply of waitresses to his mate's door, so suffice it to say he would not be caddying if Elin was still around. Rumours abound that Woods's new full-time caddie may be Brett Waldman, Camilo's caddie of years gone by and now most of his way through a disappointing Nationwide season; he's played 13 events so far, but with only $1,600+ in earnings you know he needs a proper job.

6).On the subject of golfing caddies, kudos here to Damon Green, Zach Johnson's bagman. After qualifying for the British Senior Open and making the 36-hole cut, Green outdid himself by finishing 13th and pocketing $52K at last week's US Senior Open; god knows he'll be working for Zach this week and next however.

7).And on the subject of the US Senior Open, winner Olin Browne became the fifth golfer to win on all three PGA Tour-sponsored Tours: Nationwide, PGA and Champions Tours, following Fergus, Hallberg, Lehman and Streck.

8).Dear George O'Grady,
If you want some good ideas for filling out your European Tour fields during late August and early September during FedEx Play-Off season, here are 15 ideas:
Messrs: Curtis, Cejka, Harrington, Clark, Els, Ames, Woods, Leonard, Cabrera, Oosthuizen, Casey, Weekley, Duval, Stenson and Daly.
Unless these guys have great results the next three tournaments, they'll be unemployed for five weeks as all are in positions lower than 125th in FedEx points, the threshhold necessary to qualify for event number one, The Barclays.

9).While the golfing galacticos are at Firestone, there's a perfectly good "opposite field" event in Nevada, at Jack Nicklaus's Montreux G&CC, as visually gorgeous as Firestone is unappealing. Brian Davis is the only Briton on hand but this has been a happy hunting ground for him, two top tens and $350K in three appearances, as he prepares for PGA Championship. (He's officially been added to the field, Jamie Donaldson too, but no Robert Rock, which is unfortunate.)

10).Lastly, the Nationwide Tour will be in Nebraska and Team GB's gang of four, Christian, Knox, Owen and Richardson will be hoping for a good result with one of the richer purses up for grabs. Especially as they were shut out last week in Utah (Knox and Owen didn't play) where Swedes Blixt and Lingmerth both enjoyed good results and paydays.

Last edited by kwinigolfer on Tue 02 Aug 2011, 2:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: WGC Bridgestone / Reno-Tahoe: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 2 Empty Re: PGA Tour: WGC Bridgestone / Reno-Tahoe: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by Sand Wed 03 Aug 2011, 11:22 pm

WillyGilly wrote:This might sound pathetic and overreactive but I'm genuinely starting to get worried about this boy. How in 6 months can you burn bridges with the PGA Tour say you're missing home etc blah blah and then change your mind completely back again. Something deeper going on?

Think he wanted to be on the european tour to be closer to his girlfriend but now they are finished maybe thinks nothing keeping him from the PGA tour. Might also be easier for him to see Wozanaki if hes over in the states and they are actually together that is.

Sand

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: WGC Bridgestone / Reno-Tahoe: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 2 Empty Re: PGA Tour: WGC Bridgestone / Reno-Tahoe: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by Lairdy Thu 04 Aug 2011, 9:17 am

kwinigolfer wrote:Weatherwise it's such a lovely day. Here anyway, even better in Reno.

Not bad in Akron and weather should be dry Thursday and Friday, chance of storms at the weekend. No forecast yet of any high winds.

No wind so Rory should be happy then? He's not quite fallen flat on his face yet but
Rory should recognise the difference between open and honest to naive and stupid.

Think this could be the week for Sergio! Probably still a bit delicate for the majors but at a place like this I think he could get his 1st WGC! Even though you always have to hole the important putts is there probably less emphasis on putting skills this week? Also, would be great to see Westwood receive a bit of that Stockton magic dust, even if it only seems to last a couple of weeks.

Lairdy

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 04 Aug 2011, 10:21 am

Yes, we see yet more odd behaviour from McIlroy as he pledges some sort of allegiance to the USA. Although it was only a matter of time before he crossed the pond again did he really need to make comments about buying a house and the lack of wind on the PGA tour.

I dont think discussing him on here helps but I am really starting to get sick of McIlroy and his numb skull comments. Speak your mind yes, but make sure you mind is worth sharing before that.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 04 Aug 2011, 11:13 am

Rory is crossing the threshhold where he can be forgiven youthful naivete! Perhaps he's hinting that he'll play the Viking Classic instead of The Open next year. That would learn him in a hurry.

I like Sergio a lot this week, Lairdy, Adam Scott too, just two to mention two once-promising yutes who've preceded Rory down the love-stricken road. I have them, and Westwood, on my v2 fantasy team which will now really put the mockers on them.

If I was Jose-Maria Olazabal, alarm bells would be clanging loud and clear right now with some of his best Ryder Cup wannabes destined to struggle big time to fulfil European Tour criteria. Casey, Laird, Poulter, Rose, McIlroy, McDowell etc.

For a moment there I thought the PGA Tour was going to relax their membership rules for players who had satisfied very specific criteria, such as winning a Major. But Rory's speculation yesterday could close the door on that, initiative shifting from Chubby back to Flinchem.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 04 Aug 2011, 11:24 am

Kwini

As always and in theory players should not have an issue meeting criteria for both tours what with Accenture, Cadillac, Bridgestone, HSBC and next year the tournament of hope. Then the four majors makes that 9 shared events. Although I have a feeling you will tell me the HSBC and Tournament of Hope do not have PGA tour status.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 04 Aug 2011, 11:27 am

They don't!!!! Not sure about the TOH, but HSBC just represents a green light for otherwise impoverished American pros to go and fill their pockets!

I think some guys are going to have trouble if they don't have Luke Donald's thoughtful approach to rest and scheduling.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Lairdy Thu 04 Aug 2011, 11:33 am

Suprised at McIlroy's comments given that spreading yourself thin next year makes RC qualifying tougher. He should qualify if he plays to his potential but skipping back and forth across the pond seems to stagnate(?) a lot of euro players. Maybe not stagnate but Rose, Poulter and Casey are some who are going about their seasons as if they are wading through treacle.

Speaking of ball strikers with so so putting (Adam etc.) it should be a good week for Laird as well. We are heading into that time of year when he has done well in the past...

Lairdy

Back to top Go down

Post by Lairdy Thu 04 Aug 2011, 11:48 am

Stories about Oosthuizen being involved in a car bump and subsequently treated for a bit of whiplash. He says he's ok and its not too serious but keep an eye on that for fantasy teams, wagers etc.

Lairdy

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 04 Aug 2011, 12:19 pm

"wading through treacle" is right. Casey, Poulter and Rose have won just $300K between them on the PGA Tour since the Masters nearly four months ago.
But they can all go and join Rory at Crans-Sur-Sierre for the first Ryder Cup qualifying tournament as their current form should ensure their FedEx Cup interest will have terminated.

Oosthuizen just wants to be back on the farm; doubt if he'll be on the PGA Tour next year, just doesn't seem interested - seems like his caddie was driving when they got hit?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by prettyboytone Thu 04 Aug 2011, 12:29 pm

Adam Scott carries my investment this week.

I was so tempted to do Tiger but then I slapped myself round the face and had a cold shower to snap me out of it and wake me up. 20/1 is a tasty price but I think i've backed him in each of his 'returns' and he has rarely given me a run for my money. Sod's law suggests he will romp this week...

prettyboytone

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 04 Aug 2011, 1:25 pm

A bit cloudy (hopefully not foggy) as Rory puts down his Florida Real-Estate guide, picks up his pre-round bacon buttie and heads out to the range.

Skies will clear and temps will reach eighty degrees later on and scoring conditions should be friendly.

First groups off in fifteen minutes and that will mark the return of Roary Sabbatini to Tour business following his two-month sabbatical. Rors off at 9.50 a.m. EDT.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Thu 04 Aug 2011, 1:52 pm

There you go.... we'll need to learn more about Mr. Bum, he started with a birdie!

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 04 Aug 2011, 1:54 pm

I know the weather is good but why else do golfers live in florida, if I had the chance I would go for somewhere like California or even NY. I would rather play NGLA, shinnicock, the black etc under an inch of snow than some of the dross in Florida.

Back to the tournament in hand and you have to think some of the natives to have found some form of late like Kim, Fowler, o’hair, Haas etc have a good chance this week.

If tiger gets a top ten it will be a miracle.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 04 Aug 2011, 2:12 pm

Why do golfers live in Florida?

No personal State income tax, good communications (lots of places for NetJets and MarquisJets to land) and the weather, which can be godawful just like anywhere else - a tropical storm devastating Haiti and on its way to the East Coast of FLA as we write!
Oh, and no personal State income tax.

A big irony of course is that one of the most weather-affected PGA Tour events, year in and year out, is the "Honda" at West Palm, players always pissing and moaning about the, guess what?, WIND!!!! Which is why it's a must miss for the top US golfers.

If I lived in Florida, I'd camp out on the west coast (Naples area, Sarasota area or Tampa / St.Pete) like our 606 buddy Straeh, avoid Orlando and Miami like the plague.

Bogey for Jae, a bit of a bummer. But Flinchem's favourite player is a birdie machine!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Thu 04 Aug 2011, 2:22 pm

I wonder what's the reason they put him (roary) first? To get him out of everybody's way as quickly as possible? But birdie machine he is indeed...

Hope Noren does well this week, have him in the FT again...

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Thu 04 Aug 2011, 2:30 pm

36 holes in total completed so far and more than 40% were birdies!! Easy?

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 04 Aug 2011, 2:34 pm

Who knows, pd? They hate him.

On a more positive note Charlie Hoffman was fit to go.

Let's not forget Reno, gorgeous morning out there and plenty to play for.
The winner gains entry into the PGA Championship, then it's close to a last gasp for most of them to reach the FedEx Play-Off series. Miss that and they've dug themselves a very deep hole in trying to secure their card for 2012 - they'll be idle or in Europe for five weeks and then the Fall Series scramble.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Thu 04 Aug 2011, 2:40 pm

Love shottracker... Lee started with a 304 yards drive 'to unknown' !
Is Billy still on his bag?

Can someone stop that man with the silly hat (can't see him but I'm pretty sure he has one) in front??!!
In the end I kept Goose in the FT as well and he's teeing off now. I'm shaking...

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Thu 04 Aug 2011, 3:14 pm

It seems to be playing easy a really low score is out there!!

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Thu 04 Aug 2011, 3:23 pm

DA, DA, DA,....
Rors - no, no, no...

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Thu 04 Aug 2011, 3:37 pm

So far Chubby is 3-over par overall... not good when you look at that leaderboard.

...make that 4-over now 🤦
Enjoying US golf Rory?

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 04 Aug 2011, 3:55 pm

Poor start overall for Team Europe (as well as Team Chubster as you say), plus two when birds are flying in all over the pace.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by venice1 Thu 04 Aug 2011, 4:02 pm

Rory, Charl, Quiros, Oosty, Karlsson, Sergio and Franny slow out of the gate. Thankfully it's not a quarterhorse race for these gents. I knew I should have picked D.A. Points in the fantasy league and good to see Thomas Bjorn off to a decent start. And who knows, Luke's form cycle might be entering the upswing phase and not a second too soon.

As much as I try not to like these WGC events, this is one we won't be able to take our eyes off of with all the heavy hitters entered and the PGA looming in the background. Also like the spread-out field despite the contrived pairings. Not a weak hole in the tee time starts.

kwini,
The Bombers are still bombing. The pitching staff is still patchy.

venice1

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Thu 04 Aug 2011, 4:20 pm

Chubby's major champs proudly occupying the top of the bottom of the LB. Dismal performance really...

But GMac doing really well out there.

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Thu 04 Aug 2011, 4:23 pm

GMac to -3 now ... and DA slipped with a couple of bogeys

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 04 Aug 2011, 4:26 pm

The course is fighting back after that torrid start. And at least Rory's beating Mahan.
And lots of red numbers in Reno.

venice,
The top three hitters were 8 for 8 until Teixera made an out last night! Another 5 for 5 for The Captain!! My lad just headed down to Fenway for tonight's game vs The Indians.
Stock market plunging. Woof.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Thu 04 Aug 2011, 4:28 pm

I actually had a small flutter on GMac this week. Not sure he's back to form yet but was amazed at the price available on him!

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 04 Aug 2011, 4:30 pm

Good luck, Davie, it takes a brave man . . . . and all that.
Occasional Sublime followed by injudicious doses of the Ridiculous since his Players' fiasco.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by EmmDee57 Thu 04 Aug 2011, 4:47 pm

I'm looking forward to getting home and watching this tonight. My e/w money is on Hanson so hopefully he'll do the business. Would be great if Tiger goes low tonight, might put the frighteners up some of the field.

EmmDee57

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 04 Aug 2011, 4:57 pm

Number One and Number Two are on the move.

EmmDee,
When Tiger was playing well, afternoon/morning starts were certainly his m.o. but this week I don't know. Difficult for me to believe his swing will hold up for 36 holes let alone 72, but he's certainly done stranger things.

Just about time GJ came on the air to extol Jason's Day, so far anyway.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by EmmDee57 Thu 04 Aug 2011, 5:18 pm

Right, off home to make dinner then settle down in front of the tv for the evening and no doubt get endless talk of Tiger from Rob Lee or David Livingstone and not much actual coverage.

Good to see young Rors bounce back from a bad start.

All my 6 Fantasy picks are out late, strange coincidence that but means I have even more interest in watching.

EmmDee57

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Thu 04 Aug 2011, 5:43 pm

Been away for 1-2 hours and the master of the swing is at it again... 2-under from 2-over!! I can go out for another hour if that helps, no problems!
Mind you, didn't help GMac (or Davie) at all... droping to +1 from -3 Shocked

Lee and Phil on a bit of a roll!

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Thu 04 Aug 2011, 6:09 pm

At least not all of the international Presidents cup team are doing badly. Where's GJ!!! ...and Mr Kim is on fire!
Thomas Bjorn continuing to show some great form...

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 04 Aug 2011, 6:26 pm

Good round for Lee, looks like he might have holed some of the putts that he's been missing. He'll take 67, and Bjorn will take 66.

Who invited K-t Kim to the party?

Mixed bag so far for Brian Davis in Reno, one par in his first 11 holes, having just 3-putted from inside 9 feet. How do pros do that? I don't even do that!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Thu 04 Aug 2011, 6:47 pm

C'mon Matteooooooooo!!
Mr. Tiger just about to start...

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Thu 04 Aug 2011, 7:17 pm

The good news is that Padraig is 1-under after 3, the bad news is he missed all 3 fairways so far...

Brilliant round from young Jason. And excellent starts by KtK and Freddie. But it's looking gloomy for Simon Dyson already...

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by EmmDee57 Thu 04 Aug 2011, 7:48 pm

Would be interesting if Woods & Scott get paired together at the weekend.....

EmmDee57

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Thu 04 Aug 2011, 7:53 pm

Shocker for Dyson who is playing so well

As far as the Sky coverage is concerned ... been watching for a bit in the pub when I stopped for a swifty on the way home from work, then just switched on at home. Tiger getting plenty of coverage as would be expected but nothing too OTT (yet)

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 04 Aug 2011, 7:57 pm

The afternoon GB&I guys faring poorly, Poulter, Clarke, Rose, Casey, Dyson, Laird, Harrington collectively 12 over par.

Galleries following Clarke and Woods don't seem that big, not what we're used to at all.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by EmmDee57 Thu 04 Aug 2011, 8:05 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:The afternoon GB&I guys faring poorly, Poulter, Clarke, Rose, Casey, Dyson, Laird, Harrington collectively 12 over par.

Galleries following Clarke and Woods don't seem that big, not what we're used to at all.

Kwini, Lairdy is -1, he's doing ok Smile

EmmDee57

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 04 Aug 2011, 8:08 pm

Yup, Laird just birdied; had a weird looking double, otherwise he's been playing well. Maybe we'll see him? Nah.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Nay Thu 04 Aug 2011, 8:09 pm

Great shot by Clarke

Nay

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Thu 04 Aug 2011, 8:10 pm

Ace DC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 04 Aug 2011, 8:19 pm

Good job DC holed that; the only thing so far to get Woods to crack a smile.

GB&I still +11, including a suitable Casey for treatment. What's wrong with him? Turf toe can't be the answer.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Thu 04 Aug 2011, 8:23 pm

A "turf toe"!? What's that???? Headscratch
Aparently that's what's wrong with Casey according to one of GC's pundits...

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by EmmDee57 Thu 04 Aug 2011, 8:26 pm

I hope Notah Begay III has a good tournament over in Reno

EmmDee57

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Thu 04 Aug 2011, 8:35 pm

I am surprised by the fact they are showing so much of Harrington today....This is coming from a fan too....Strange as he is playing so poorly.

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 04 Aug 2011, 8:47 pm

benson,
Sky must have their own cameras, we haven't seen him at all.

Brian Davis canned six birdies today in Reno, and spoiled it all with seven bogeys. NBIII just left the stalls.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Thu 04 Aug 2011, 8:51 pm

Who would've thought the top 2 Europeans will be Bjorn and Larrazabal!? Great round Pablo is putting together!!

Tiger finally with his first birdie and a second possible at the next hole. That will cheer a few people up...

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by EmmDee57 Thu 04 Aug 2011, 9:05 pm

LAIRD -4 now!! Very Happy

EmmDee57

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next