The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2011 unworthy season?

+3
The Special Juan
Critical_mass
liverbnz
7 posters

Go down

2011 unworthy season? Empty 2011 unworthy season?

Post by Guest Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:15 pm

Seb Vettel wins 6 out of the first 8 races and manages to spin off at Canada on the last lap of the race in wet conditions that could have made that record 7 wins out 8 in 2011. The Red Bull piloted by the young german seemed untouchable and void of any mistakes. People labelled him the next schumacher, maybe even the best talent ever seen. How times have changed. This season reminds me remarkably that of 2009 when Jenson Button achieved what nobody thought he ever would do and win a world title. My main point is that the FIA clearly disliked the fact that the sport was turning into a procession once again, therefore making the decision to ban the off throttle blown exhaust gases and alter engine mapping. Between Valencia & Silverstone something extremely fishy happened and although the FIA and the teams decided to go back to original settings, the Red Bull suddenly lost its performance and aura. Now Vettel although has extended his lead in the drivers title has been unable to win the past 3 races. To lose half a second on its rivals, the sudden drop in performance reminds me of 2009 when the Brawn with its double diffuser suddenly was caught by Mclaren & Ferrari and the then points leader Button was halted in his charge and failed to win another race. The same story is repeating itself this season. Are we going to witness once again a wounded, limping driver using his early points advantage to secure the title? Vettel has proved in recent races he has many issues including overtaking and racing in wet, changeable conditions. You may disagree but I thought the 2009 season was a joke AND to see Button win the title just took the spark out of the special feeling that past formula 1 world champions gave. Throughtout that 2009 season especially the first half of the season Button, like Vettel hardly had to deal with the competition and rarely had to deal with wheel to wheel battles with other great drivers. Unlike Hamilton or past WDC, great duels and wheel to wheel combat is what a true formula 1 world champion must go through in order to be remembered as a great. Vettel in becoming a 2x WDC just doesnt seem at all right in any way shape or form. Ok he has driver superbly out in front but then any of the drivers in a dominant car could achieve this feat. Is this season another unworthy season like 2009 where a driver is simply given the world title thanks to a weak teammate and a world beater of a car? I mean do we blame the FIA when a driver of 6 wins out of 8 suddenly fails to win another race (which is possible) throughout the remainder of the season.

Back to top Go down

2011 unworthy season? Empty Re: 2011 unworthy season?

Post by liverbnz Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:10 am

I don't think it's similar no and it was Red Bull that caught up with Brawn, not Mclaren and Ferrari. I think we'll see Vettel win a few more races this season, most likely the street races that remain.

As for the weak team-mate, give it a bit of perspective. Webber is in a yard where he's always been seen as 2nd dog, some would say which has cost him a WDC. Webber has had reliaility problems at nearly every race this year (most prominently gearbox and KERS), as well as poor pit calls from his team (something I find slightly suspicious), and Vettel has been much better on the Pirellis than Mark. Webber really struggles towards the end of his stint of the tyres, something that he's gonna have to improve on. His starts have also unquestionabley cost him big this year. I think he's managed to maintain his position once from the start all season. Not good enough.

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:32 am

perspective - Yer but 10' Vettel lost a possible 75 points thanks to mechanical issues. For Mark Webber to not win for almost a year in the most dominant car in formula 1 for 2 seasons is embarrasing. I agree the boot is on the other foot in terms of mechanical issues this year.

Back to top Go down

Post by liverbnz Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:04 pm

He should be performing better no doubt. His starts have been a big issue. Strange thing is, he doesn't think they are.

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:59 pm

Whats to say the 2012 Red Bull wont be a world beater of a car again? For the good of f1 as an entertainment sport and spectacle for the fans, surely mark webber has to move on? I mean my personal dream would be for Kimi to come back and replace Mark, I would love to see young Vettel's face. Love him or hate him, Kimi Raikkonen was fast, aggressive and seeing him race in a fast car alongside a Lewis Hamilton makes me drool at the prospect. Mark Webber's chance was 10' and he blew it, if it wasnt for the mysterious broken shoulder or collarbone story could he have been more competitive? He needs replacing, no1 can defend him this season. I dont care about the mechanical issues or faulty KERS, Vettel had more issues last season with blown engines than Mark has had with a dysfunctional KERS.

Back to top Go down

Post by Critical_mass Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:33 pm

No it was mclaren and ferrari but mainly mclaren who caught up to the Brawn, it wasnt RB - just to correct you liverbnz.

This season certainly has a few parallels to 2009 and i agree John its looking like the 2009 scenario is being played out again. But to be truthful banning the blown exhausts mid season would have underminded the whole season more, they should have jsut said we're banning it as of 2012. The daft fools decided to ban it for one race then reintroduce it. Why do a U turn instead of just saying we'll ban if as of 2012. Indeed something is fish, its almost as if they saw that RB suffered immensely from the change and decided to reintroduce it - albeit with only 10% of the gases allowed to be used.

but ever since that change its looked as if Seb is struggling, he wasnt in for in germany and same again in hungary, i dont think the rest of the races will be as easy for him compared to the first half of the season. IMO shows alot of his wins is down to the car, he still has talent but the car has been emphasing his talent.

Also for those that say "well lewis only one the WDC by one point, where button won with x amount of extra points, so he must be a better driver". Well no the opposite is true. Lewis had Alonso, Massa and Kimi all winning racing and challenging consistantly and thats not taking into account any penalitise the stewards gave any of them. Yet he still came out on top.

Where as Button had no challenges not even realyl from his team mate Barrichello, not until the second part of the season that is, which he didnt win another race and by that point had a decent cushion of points to still take the WDC.

Im hoping next season its a more even playing field in regards to car performance, i dont mind RB being fast or THE fastest aslong as the other teams are challenging, i dont want anotehr repeat of 2009 where one car dominates completely.

Critical_mass

Back to top Go down

Post by liverbnz Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:54 pm

Critical Mass - It was the Red Bull that caught up with Brawn and had the fastest package at the end of the year. Red Bull won 5 races following Button's last win, which is more than Ferrari and McLaren managed together. Red Bull ended up with more constructor points than both of Ferrari and McLaren put together and it was their 2 drivers who were in contention for the WDC come the last few races. Red Bull closed the gap more than any other team - just to correct you.

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:57 pm

You obviously are anti-Button, I'm just going to say that.

What's wrong with a driver taking advantage of having the fastest car? Do you want him to not go as fast as he can?

After this break, the RB's gonna come back stronger and better which is a shame because I was enjoying this mini McLaren run. I can hate Vettel because of his arrogance, but I can't hate the car. They have Brains in their team, Newey, and are obviously paying him much more than anyone else could.

As for Mark... well I'll give him another chance to prove himself next year because of this tyre situation and if he doesn't manage much then punt him and replace with the mighty Pedro de la Rosa(!)
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:46 pm

anti button too right. the guy became world champion on the back of ross brawn's brilliance with regards to the loophole of the double diffuser brawn created. Button is an average driver and suddenly after that season he was propelled into being some kind of god. button was suddenly referred to as being world class. the bbc of course were all over his achievement like a tramp on chips. brundle's love for JB is also annoying, how many time has he stated 'his smooth driving and ballet like flow over the tarmac bullcrap!' button is an average driver who got extremely lucky. In dry conditions he cannot match vettel, alonso or hamilton. FACT! I find JB so boring to watch, his conservative style is like watching paint dry. Another thing which annoys me is that formula 1 is a conserving your tyres world championship nowadays instead of pure racing. If Button was making the rules for f1 he would make sure tyre conservation was written on every page (its the only way he can compete). Another thing which annoys me are his excuses after qualifying. 'oh the tyres had no grip' or 'yer in q2 it was great but in q3 i suddenly had loads of oversteer blah blah!!'. Also his radio message in hungary after he won, 'great win before the break, lets come back and win them all'.........I mean seriously this guy is delusional and his fans are even worse. The fact that wet conditions level the playing field play to his advantage but to label him the new professor is embarrasing! I could go on!

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:51 pm

2011 has been a largely brilliant season, so far.

If John thinks this season has been poor, he obviously isn't old enough to remember Schumacher's years with Ferrari. Now those WERE boring!

What about 2009 when Jenson Button dominated the first half of the season? I don't remember hearing too many complaints then (apart from the usual whingers who looked for any excuse to belittle him).

dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by Critical_mass Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:29 am

I agree with john to be honest and yes schumacher years were dull - i even stopped watching F1 cos of it. Again 2009 season was dull also, well until the last part of the season.

Critical_mass

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:57 am

As a Brit, I support Hamilton and Button equally so I enjoyed the early part of 2009, and the year as a whole.

Ok, Button never has, and never will be, as fast as Alonso and Hamilton but you could say the same about Vettel. He has the fastest car by a mile but isn't winning every race (which Button did until RB and McLaren caught Brawn up). Button also isn't the most exciting driver to watch, but he gets the strategy right so he's always there or there abouts in relation to a podium place at the end of the race (haha that rhymes).

Also, he looks like Chris Martin which is funny. Ever notice that whenever he wins they always play a Coldplay song as a backing track.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Critical_mass Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:24 pm

no never noticed the cold play music but do agree he looks like chris martin haha.

I would be VERY interested to know how many times these "brilliant strategy calls" have been him and not his team, who incidentalyl seem to fck lewis race up with poor strategy calls. Im not convinced they're all his own doing.

Look at hungary for example, commentators praising button for the well called strategy, when in fact it was a fluke - Looking like it was going to rain again after lewis spun. Lewis and button faught to be the driver in front so they could pit first. Lewis got in front and went into the pits, now after the race Button admitted that he had been called to stack behind lewis in the pits, he chose not to do this (which is fair enough) and went for another lap. It was pure luck that the rain didnt actualyl fall and he stayed out. But the BBC are all going on as if Button chose to ride out the weather... BS.

Mclaren need to get Lewis' strategy right!

Critical_mass

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:28 pm

Hmm.

If john and critical_mass were footy fans I assume they'd switch off the TV or leave the stadium if their team was getting beat 3-0 at half time...

There is a hell of a lot more to F1 than just the overall standings. Fine, Vettel won 5 of the first 6 races, but this season has still been one of the most open in ages. Of course the standings don't reflect that, but thats a consequence of the new points system. In the old days when only the top 6 were awarded points, things would have been a lot closer.

There has been more drama and on-track action (the lack of which is what so many people were complaining about previously) than there's ever been, since I started watching.

The title race may be a foregone conclusion (unless Vettel's dip in fortunes continues for a few more races) but there will still be plenty to enjoy every race weekend.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by Critical_mass Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:30 pm

No not at all DW, i continued to watch the 2009 season, the 2nd part of the season that year did improve.

But yes i did get tired of it beign Schumacher every race, for years - or most races anyway.

Critical_mass

Back to top Go down

Post by Belgarion of Riva Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:52 am

I find it amusing the excuses people provide for Button when he doesn't perform.

The same people do not provide excuses for other drivers when they do not perform. Instead the knives are out. Similar with the BBC team.

Button's an Ok driver and if you play the percentages game, he is more than likely going to bring the car home because he doesn't push or try risky overtakes. For all his flaws though, he's a much better driver than our current world champion, aka the lapper/the finger.

Our world champion who can't win a race where overtaking is required but wants to lead from the front with no challenge, then scream into the radio saying, that's what i'm talking about. Wow, not racing anyone is an achievement, something to brag about. What a guy furious

I hope the FIA ban all diffusers and flexi wings and we'll see what the lapper can do.

Imagine this scenario; when the record books are written, the lapper will be compared to Senna, Schumi, Prost and Alonso. Disgusting

Belgarion of Riva

Back to top Go down

Post by Critical_mass Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:24 pm

yeah and that comparison would be an insult!

Nail on head there mate ^^

Critical_mass

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandro Ciambella Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:41 am

Belgarion of Riva wrote:IButton's an Ok driver and if you play the percentages game, he is more than likely going to bring the car home because he doesn't push or try risky overtakes.

Bonjourno!

Brazil 2009? Did Jenson Button MBE risk everything to come through a packed grid to become "World Drivers Champion Jenson Button MBE"!?

Jenson Button MBE can be awesome on his day. Take Canada 2011, last to first. Were there many risky overtakes? Plenty! I dont get people like you who assume World Driver Champion Jenson Button MBE waits for all the cars to fall off the track to win a GP. Its disrespectful of the talent that he clearly has.

Forza Alonso!
Alessandro Ciambella
Alessandro Ciambella

Back to top Go down

Post by monty junior Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:56 am

I would say in terms of success per attempted overtake Button must be the highest in the field. He really know's how to position his car, even when he was driving those rubbish Honda's i was really impressed, he's not brash but gets the job done most of the time.

monty junior

Back to top Go down

Post by Critical_mass Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:02 pm

What? ^^ lol you talking abotu the same person?

JB has his moments, but thats it. Allesandro, JB didnt go last to first. He drove a good steady race and picked up the pieces after Vettel almost fell off the track.. thats it.

Critical_mass

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandro Ciambella Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:43 pm

Bonjourno!

World Driver Champion Jenson Button MBE made 27 overtakes during the Canadian Grand Prix. He also set the fastest lap. Me made a total of 34 passes including the 1st lap and pitstops.

Vettel cracked under the immense pressure applied on him by the Frome Fox.

Didnt go last to first? You best read this. The article is called "How Button went from last to first in 30 laps" It starts from lap 40! :-

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2011/06/13/2011-canadian-grand-prix-analysis/

A good steady race? Do really you believe that!?

Forza Alonso!
Alessandro Ciambella
Alessandro Ciambella

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:54 pm

I get so angry and frustrated. The amount of times i have been replied to from a button fan stating the brazilian grand prix and his astonishing performance is getting extremely old and boring. When someone slates button for his conservative and mind-numbingly boring style and lack of overtaking ability the same old story comes out. Yes he won a unworthy title which propelled him from being an average driver into now what some people believe a 'world class' driver. I mean please, listen to yourselves - delusional beings! One performance going through a field of inferior cars in a brawn is hardly exceptional, the MAIN fact is that hamilton on that same day outperformed button but that somehow gets lost in translation, funny isnt it? One performance against Hamilton's multiple world class overtaking performances says it all. wake up its getting embarrasing now!

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandro Ciambella Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:14 pm

Bonjourno!

Yes, Hamilton has to try and be a world class overtaker because his qualifying performances are often so poor that he places extra pressure on himself to come through the grid.

I can name more than 2 races where World Driver Champion Jenson Button MBE has lit up the circuit with his exciting, instictive driving. Obviously there would be a few races from before 2007. Yes there was F1 before 2007!

Hamilton has never come from last to first inside 30 laps though has he? The great over taker has never achieved 27 over takes in a race has he? You want excitement, you come and see the Frome Fox or Fernando!

You want crash bang wallop... go to the garage next door!!

Forza Alonso!
Alessandro Ciambella
Alessandro Ciambella

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:17 pm

what??? your an embarrasment! you make no point and have no answers other than brazil. and your quote 'Hamilton has to try and be a world class overtaker because his qualifying performances are often so poor'....Well lets look at buttons magnificant qualifying shall we?...........i thought not!

Back to top Go down

Post by Critical_mass Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:35 pm

Since when has Hamilton beingvs poor qualifier. its button whos the poor qualifier

Critical_mass

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down