The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Leaked Welsh team from reliable source

+30
mpc28
TycroesOsprey
RubyGuby
glamorganalun
redrugbyexile
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
deadfred
Impossible Standards
formerly known as Sam
nottins_jones
Taffineastbourne
Glas a du
irnbrew
BlueNote
flyhalffactory
Smirnoffpriest
offload
Seagultaf
Cumbrian
bedfordwelsh
screamingaddabs
tomathy
munkian
Luckless Pedestrian
ScarletSpiderman
Effervescing Elephant
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
maestegmafia
beshocked
wrfc1980
34 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Leaked Welsh team from reliable source Empty Leaked Welsh team from reliable source

Post by wrfc1980 Wed 03 Aug 2011, 12:08 pm

This will be the Welsh team to play England on Saturday - its from a reliable source who has access to the Welsh training squad. As a English supporter I would be very dissapointed to loose to this Welsh team. There is potential to score tries for the Welsh for sure however there are many liabilities when it comes to defence. Priestland, Stoddard, Henson and Hook are all likely to miss a tackle or 3! Roll on Saturday, I for one can't wait! Haven't been able to get a leaked England team however Sharples and Manu Tualagi are almost certain to start.

15. Priestland
14. Stoddard
13. Henson
12. Roberts
11. North
10. Hook
9. Williams
1. Geth
2. Bennett
3. Mitchell
4. Jughead
5. Charteris
6. Warburton
7. Turnbull
8. Faletau

wrfc1980

Back to top Go down

Leaked Welsh team from reliable source Empty Re: Leaked Welsh team from reliable source

Post by beshocked Wed 03 Aug 2011, 12:14 pm

If I was Welsh I would be disappointed with that side. Particularly the centres,backrow,front row,2nd row and back three.

At least Gatland has got the halfbacks right!

If I was Welsh I would have wanted.

15.Priestland
14.Halfpenny (if injured then ickle Shane)
13.Davies
12.Roberts
11.North
10.Hook
9.Williams

1.Jenkins
2.Anyone but Bennett
3.A. Jones
4.A.Jones
5.Charteris
6.Lydiate
7.Warburton
8.Delve

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Leaked Welsh team from reliable source Empty Re: Leaked Welsh team from reliable source

Post by maestegmafia Wed 03 Aug 2011, 12:35 pm

An interesting selection...

Glad to see Priestland, Williams, Henson, Hook a strong scrum and a youthful backrow.

not sure about Henson at 13 with Roberts at 12, but i do like the experimental nature of the team.

It is definitely a selection picked to give fringe selections for the RWC squad a chance.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Wed 03 Aug 2011, 12:36 pm

Surely thats leeked?

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Effervescing Elephant Wed 03 Aug 2011, 12:37 pm

I think for a first warm up away it's about right. Would expect a more conventional selection for the return though.

And also 'leeked'... Genius! Very Happy
Effervescing Elephant
Effervescing Elephant

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Wed 03 Aug 2011, 12:39 pm

How ironic that Henson has been put at 13. He looked very ill at ease in his appearances for Saracens in that position.

maestegmafia fair enough if you are optimistic. Best to be that way.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Wed 03 Aug 2011, 12:40 pm

Looking at that maybe Henson will stop moaning about being played at 13 for Saracens now. Interesting that he and Roberts arent the other way around.
Hook Henson Roberts is potentialy a very good combination, and also a potential car crash involving a truck load of manure.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Wed 03 Aug 2011, 12:44 pm

To be honest if that is the side then I will be impressed, as it does look like running rugby is the aim there.

I would hope that the bench has Jon Davies, Steve Jones, and Burns on it though as I have a feeling that they may well be needed.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by wrfc1980 Wed 03 Aug 2011, 12:48 pm

It could be a cracking game as England have been playing some nice attacking free flowing rugby of late, add to that an exciting looking Welsh team (albeit once that could leak tries) and some young up and comming youngsters such as Sharples, Tualagi, Foden, Ashton etc and we could be in for a humdinger! This will be a high scoring game so am going for a prediction of England 32 Wales 24.

wrfc1980

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 03 Aug 2011, 12:48 pm

Henson at 13?

Maybe put there so we have a stronger defender like Roberts in the 9,10,12 area.

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Wed 03 Aug 2011, 12:51 pm

Carpe Diem wrote:I think for a first warm up away it's about right. Would expect a more conventional selection for the return though.

Seeing as the World Cup is in New Zealand, wouldn't it have been better for Gatland to play what he sees as his first XV for the away fixture of the two against England?

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Wed 03 Aug 2011, 12:54 pm

Tuilagi is a rumoured start for England, lets see in Henson can pick up and dump him.....

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Wed 03 Aug 2011, 12:57 pm

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:Tuilagi is a rumoured start for England, lets see in Henson can pick up and dump him.....

I reckon he could
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by tomathy Wed 03 Aug 2011, 12:59 pm

I reckon he couldn't
tomathy
tomathy

Back to top Go down

Post by Effervescing Elephant Wed 03 Aug 2011, 1:03 pm

luckless_pedestrian wrote:
Carpe Diem wrote:I think for a first warm up away it's about right. Would expect a more conventional selection for the return though.

Seeing as the World Cup is in New Zealand, wouldn't it have been better for Gatland to play what he sees as his first XV for the away fixture of the two against England?

I only say that as it might be perceived less painful to lose away (if that is what happens) and win at home with your 'proper' team. But i can see it from the other side of the coin as well. Should be a cracking game anyway.
Effervescing Elephant
Effervescing Elephant

Back to top Go down

Post by screamingaddabs Wed 03 Aug 2011, 1:05 pm

tomathy wrote:I reckon he couldn't
I reckon he *might* if Tuilagi got man and ball like Tait did. I reckon Manu and the support would probably recycle possession and continue the attack too (like Tait did...)

Last edited by screamingaddabs on Wed 03 Aug 2011, 1:05 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : changed could to might)
screamingaddabs
screamingaddabs

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed 03 Aug 2011, 1:10 pm

Even though we all knew it would happen but BENNETT ARRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHH.

Not a problem with Mitchell staring as I thought he had a very good AI and him and Jones are coming back from injury so both need gametime.

2nd row - Not problem with that

Back row - Would have preferd Delve at No8 but hopefully saving him for home game.

Halfbacks - Great some speed n flair

Centres - Henson at 13 is weird one but we all knew he would play

Back 3 - Priestland at XV worries me would have liked to see Halfpenny given a run out.

These three games (well first two) are to try these things out I am hoping to see our 1st team against the Pumas
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Wed 03 Aug 2011, 1:24 pm

I love how nobody has questioned the veracity of this article, you're a trusting lot! Very Happy

I'd be quite surprised if Sharples starts for England. It would mean dropping the beloved Cueto (Surely there is no way Ashton can be dropped?) and Johnson has seemed very disinclined to do this.
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Seagultaf Wed 03 Aug 2011, 1:32 pm

Not a bad pack, although concerns about Charteris and playing 2 open side flankers.

Backs though are pretty much all second (or third) choice. Could be a long afternoon for Wales fans!

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

Post by tomathy Wed 03 Aug 2011, 1:36 pm

screamingaddabs wrote:
tomathy wrote:I reckon he couldn't
I reckon he *might* if Tuilagi got man and ball like Tait did. I reckon Manu and the support would probably recycle possession and continue the attack too (like Tait did...)

I agree there probably is some hypothetical scenario in which henson could knock tuilagi backwards. I don't think it likely.
tomathy
tomathy

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Wed 03 Aug 2011, 1:37 pm

Would be nice to know the bench too.

We'll find out the actual team tomorrow
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Wed 03 Aug 2011, 1:44 pm

IF that's the team and England play their first choice pack we'll have a very long day! Do you think England are a better team now than when they lost the final in 2007? - I do. I still have nightmares about GJ's team in that Twickenham farce. Hope I'm wrong.

offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Wed 03 Aug 2011, 1:47 pm

If that is the team I'm worried by Bennett, he's a liability.

It's strange that Henson is 13 (I knew he'd be in, so no problem - but expected him at 12), and Warbs at 6 instead of 7, i know it's been said that we'll play left/right flankers instead of the more traditional 6/7, but surely Turnbull is used to playing 6.

Glad Priestland is in there - he needs exposure. Otherwise it looks a decent team but would rather the (relative) experience of Delve than Faletau to offset Turnbulls inexperience.

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Wed 03 Aug 2011, 1:51 pm

Well thats what the Welsh posters wanted

Henson/ Hook/Williams.............. fast distribution from Williams allowing Hook acres of space to create opportunities for the centres

So no excuses now if you don't produce fast open rugby..... especially as Tindall has indicated that England will play a much more expansive game this campaign

flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Wed 03 Aug 2011, 1:53 pm

http://thecoalfaceblog.com/wales-train-for-free-at-the-millenium-stadium/

Good photos from training session and poshibly an insite to what the team might be.
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueNote Wed 03 Aug 2011, 1:54 pm

I hate to be pessimisstic, but it looks like a car crash in the making if that is the team. Nothing very much like it has played for Wales before, but they'll probably be up against established units. It's a team that could potentially be a good team, but is very unlikely to be in time for Saturday. Also, it's obvious what that team will be doing when it has the ball, and England will be waiting for it.
I also have a feeling Craig Mitchell may be found out a bit in this one in the scrum.
Hope I'm wrong!

BlueNote

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Wed 03 Aug 2011, 1:57 pm

Mitchell seemed to hold his own during the 6 Nations
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by irnbrew Wed 03 Aug 2011, 1:59 pm

I will not believe Gatland will put that team out as i have said on previous threads he will play his best 15 the time for big changes have gone and until i hear it tomorrow from Gatland i will reserve judgment but i do not think i have misjudged Gatland by that much roll on tomorrow

irnbrew

Back to top Go down

Post by Seagultaf Wed 03 Aug 2011, 2:00 pm

munkian

That looks a much stronger team. My only concern is front row. Not sure why Bevington is in the squad ahead of Iestyn and Duncan who are clearly better players. Bennett, I supose with the best 3 props out must play.

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Wed 03 Aug 2011, 2:04 pm

Williams at scrum half, is that Shane or Lloyd?
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 03 Aug 2011, 2:10 pm

flyhalffactory wrote:Well thats what the Welsh posters wanted

Henson/ Hook/Williams.............. fast distribution from Williams allowing Hook acres of space to create opportunities for the centres

So no excuses now if you don't produce fast open rugby..... especially as Tindall has indicated that England will play a much more expansive game this campaign

That's not what I wanted at all. I don't think playing Williams and Hook at 9 and 10 together is good at all. I'd rather it be Williams/Jones, or Knoyle/Hook. Williams and Hook together are too lightweight for me, and I'd rather Henson was no where near the side at all.

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Wed 03 Aug 2011, 2:18 pm

Pleased to see Charteris in the side.At last Gatland is not picking on reputation as AWJ has been well down over the last couple of seasons and Brad Davies isnt what he promised.Just watch the tackling that Charteris puts in!

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Wed 03 Aug 2011, 2:21 pm

Me to rugbydreamer - but lots of people on here have been saying Williams and Hook will speed up play give lightening quick ball so Hook can dance through players and put Henson into space - and Henson will run intelligent runs and angles.

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Wed 03 Aug 2011, 2:22 pm

PS Glas Du I like that you're from Ammanford (or should that be Rhydaman) and have a sheep icon...

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Wed 03 Aug 2011, 2:24 pm

Nae bothar Priest.

Braveheart
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Wed 03 Aug 2011, 2:27 pm

rugbydreamer/smirnoff

Well lets just say certain posters have advocated that that the only way you will win games is with Hook at 10, and he will have no excuse as Williams will provide him with quick ball, thus providing Henson with opportunity after opportunity to show his talent.

And England will play an expansive game as well.
So no excuses now boys and girls

So it will put the argument to bed one way or another

Be careful what you wish for!!!
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 03 Aug 2011, 2:27 pm

Smirnoffpriest wrote:Me to rugbydreamer - but lots of people on here have been saying Williams and Hook will speed up play give lightening quick ball so Hook can dance through players and put Henson into space - and Henson will run intelligent runs and angles.

They could indeed speed up play, but one is very inexperienced, and the other doesn't consistently cope well under pressure. Plus we aren't even guaranteed quick ball unless our forwards start making the hard yards and actually bother to protect the ball at the breakdown! (see France match for the utter failure in this area). Think it's a gamble to pick both of them together. Hope they prove me wrong though.

Back to top Go down

Post by nottins_jones Wed 03 Aug 2011, 2:33 pm

Quite a weak side to be fair, players just coming back in from injury in the front row (geth andMitchell) then there's Bennet... I only hope England put out an experimental side too. The backline can score a lot of tries but not if the forwards can't provide them with ball. I can see Foden causing us trouble (if he starts) down the wings with only Henson covering.
nottins_jones
nottins_jones

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed 03 Aug 2011, 2:34 pm

I agree there probably is some hypothetical scenario in which henson could knock tuilagi backwards. I don't think it likely..

Maybe if Manu is standing a bit worse for ware at the bar afterwards...

Manu is quite short and there's a lot to lift, could be very awkward to get your shoulder underneath his chest in order to drive him back and grab the legs.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Impossible Standards Wed 03 Aug 2011, 2:38 pm

I hope thats not the team that runs out on saturday. Warburton at 6? Henson at 13? oh dear.... it could be a looooong afternoon if so. Crying or Very sad Also as much as I'd like to see toby get a run out if Turnbull is in the backrow I would want Delve in there for his experience.
Impossible Standards
Impossible Standards

Back to top Go down

Post by nottins_jones Wed 03 Aug 2011, 2:41 pm

flyhalffactory wrote:rugbydreamer/smirnoff

Well lets just say certain posters have advocated that that the only way you will win games is with Hook at 10, and he will have no excuse as Williams will provide him with quick ball, thus providing Henson with opportunity after opportunity to show his talent.

And England will play an expansive game as well.
So no excuses now boys and girls

So it will put the argument to bed one way or another

Be careful what you wish for!!!

Regardless of the result I'm sure you'll be telling us how Knoyle and Jones are the best halfbacks in the NH and how there should of been more Scarlets involved... Doh
nottins_jones
nottins_jones

Back to top Go down

Post by tomathy Wed 03 Aug 2011, 2:43 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:
I agree there probably is some hypothetical scenario in which henson could knock tuilagi backwards. I don't think it likely..

Maybe if Manu is standing a bit worse for ware at the bar afterwards...

Manu is quite short and there's a lot to lift, could be very awkward to get your shoulder underneath his chest in order to drive him back and grab the legs.

according to wiki he's very slightly taller than henson at 6ft1.

he's not exactly skinny though of course.
tomathy
tomathy

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Wed 03 Aug 2011, 2:52 pm

I think the word is stocky, for a tallish guy he has a low centre of gravity. Just like Tait wanst light (for a centre at that time) , but he was slight and lacked physicality.
With Manu if he were given a suicide pass like that I half suspect he wouldnt bother to even try and catch and just charge shoulder first at the oncoming defender instead.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Wed 03 Aug 2011, 2:55 pm

Nottings - I don't think FHF is a Scarlets fan.

Rugbydreamer - I share your worries and don't agree with the consenus - I was just saying that's what (some) people want.

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Wed 03 Aug 2011, 3:05 pm

Nottings - FHF is an Edinburgh fan.

And I can understand where he is coming from, as there have been numerous calls for Hook to be first choice fly half, and numerous excusses (that wouldn't have held up for any other fly half) if he has a bad game. Personally I think that IF this is the team, and IF they are allowed to play running rugby there should be no excusses for any of the players as they are IMO all meant to be the 'best' running rugby players we have.

As for the Warburton/Turnbull 6/7 issue, i really don't see it as a problem, both are good when carrying the ball, and not bad in the line, as a blindside should be, and also both are fast and good at gaining turnovers, which is what a good openside should do. So is purely just a shirt number.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 03 Aug 2011, 3:08 pm

Smirnoffpriest wrote:Nottings - I don't think FHF is a Scarlets fan.

Rugbydreamer - I share your worries and don't agree with the consenus - I was just saying that's what (some) people want.

Ah yeah I know, just adding my two cents on why I don't necessarily think what they want is going to be a success Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Wed 03 Aug 2011, 3:09 pm

SS - how confident are you if that is the team to face England (obviously without being able to see the England line up)?

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Wed 03 Aug 2011, 3:13 pm

Smirnoff - personally I am pretty confident that if there is lose ball that Warburton or Turnbull will get hold of it. And I am also pretty confident that our back three will attack from anywhere if it is on. However I am also very weary that the middle of the feild will take a pounding all day long, and that Williams/Hook will be just looking to get the ball away and let someone else worry about being smashed in the tackle.

It all comes down to IF that is the team, and more importantly IF they are going to be allowed (by Gats) to play their natural style or if they are going to be sticking to the New Welsh Way (pointless kicking, type writer rugby).
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Wed 03 Aug 2011, 3:16 pm

I thought Turnbull was nursing a back injury and Tupuric was impressing the coaches ? Headscratch

munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Wed 03 Aug 2011, 3:16 pm

McCusker is nursing the back injury
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next