The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NZ v Australia heading for the biggest crowd in 55 years

+13
welshjohn369
Biltong
Rob B
PerryGee
Pal Joey
boomeranga
aucklandlaurie
doctor_grey
emack2
Pot Hale
Taylorman
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
chewed_mintie
17 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

NZ v Australia heading for the biggest crowd in 55 years Empty NZ v Australia heading for the biggest crowd in 55 years

Post by chewed_mintie Thu 04 Aug 2011, 6:27 pm

Everything is set for a classic this Saturday and it seems that Aucklanders (or dorklanders as they are known - no offence aucklandlaurie!) are coming out in their droves to test the new (or tarted up) facilities at the grand old lady, Eden Park.

Ticket sales are now well beyond 50,000 and with a capacity of 61,000 there is a chance of a sellout, taking into account the usual walk-up crowd (yes, we have walk up crowds even for tests in NZ). The crowd would come close to the 61,240 who turned up for the test in the epic 1956 NZ v SA series.

The stage is set for an intriguing glimpse of what could be the WC final in a few weeks time....one thing's for sure, there'll be no shadow boxing this weekend. I think NZ will turn up in the same manner they did for the Springboks at the same ground last year and we all know how that one turned out....

NZ by 15-20

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/all-blacks/5390867/Wallabies-coach-predicts-epic-encounter

chewed_mintie

Back to top Go down

NZ v Australia heading for the biggest crowd in 55 years Empty Re: NZ v Australia heading for the biggest crowd in 55 years

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu 04 Aug 2011, 7:07 pm

clap

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

NZ v Australia heading for the biggest crowd in 55 years Empty Re: NZ v Australia heading for the biggest crowd in 55 years

Post by Taylorman Thu 04 Aug 2011, 7:54 pm

15-20 is a bold prediction given the number of players returning from no rugby for weeks.
Even if they have been getting the maximum benefits and balance of rest vs prep for test match rugby in my opinion nothing beats the actual thing and that makes this selection a risk.
Surprised so many are starting in such a big test. Still think oz are largely predictable and will continue to try for high pace moves wherever they can.

The oz team are genuinely confident again thouh i dont see thats its foundation is there yet, making it just talk.
Theyve dismissed history at eden park citing the usual cliche 'its on the day', where since 86 presumably some of the matches were 'on the day also'. Fair enough but somehw i dont think its that easy.
Abs are capable of winning 15-20 but that will depend on the usual things- intensity, breakdowns, set play but perhaps more importantly the ability for oz to dazzle vs the abs shutting them down.
I'll take a punt and and go with your prediction.
Abs by 17 though id be happy with 1.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Thu 04 Aug 2011, 8:08 pm

50,000? Wow! That's a big crowd for NZ.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by chewed_mintie Thu 04 Aug 2011, 9:02 pm

Pot Hale - I think it is key to remember that if NZ put its eggs all in one basket like the British countries and build one ground to hold 70,000 plus where the national team would play all its games then I do believe that we'd fill it every time. However, we share our games out, because the AB's belong to the country, not Auckland (for example).

What would I do if I won EuroMillions? give the AB's and England a healthy wedge to play a game at Old Trafford in November....try and kick some life into the sport in the north....maybe the British countries, especially England (I know Scotland and Wales play some smaller nations at small grounds) should spread the gospel a little more.....

chewed_mintie

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Thu 04 Aug 2011, 10:18 pm

This could be a great game or a great letdown,2009 France beat the All Blacks narrowly First match of the season.This was an injury weakened side,3-0 defeat to Boks.
Media were all over them Coaches must go,players past etc.what followed
like night followed day.
Vengance at Marseiile ,and Eden Park 2010,that is the nearest parallel I can bring.
BOTH sides know what the other side has,neither seems to have a plan B.If
the All Blacks stick to structured Rugby they will create enough chances to win.
If they get drawn into a game of sevens Oz will win,they are younger and quicker.
This is the key game pre RWC,an All Black win,Bledisloe locked away for another season.
Three Ns Boks would need to win both Home legs with a bonus point to win it.
Of all the teams in the world they could shut the Wallabies down,and squeeze out a win.
Don`t think they could do that with the All Blacks don`t say the y would`nt win but think they would concede a bonus point to ABs.
The other scenario 3Ns title on the line for the last match of the season,seems likely Toeva, Dagg,Kahui,Woodcock,and possibly Boric will travel for away leg.
From a RWC point of view if you hope to win it NZ`s posture is like 2006 ,not sure what his best side is but suppose GH knows.
One match at a time,on Home form All Blacks victory by 10 or less.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Thu 04 Aug 2011, 11:22 pm

Not really sure I care who wins this one. I do care this is a sell out, since that will send a strong positive message about the commerical viability of this RWC.

Regarding who wins: I remember the Tri-Nations in 2003 just prior to that RWC. The ABs put 50 points on Aus in one match. Then lost to the Wallabies in the RWC semi-finals. So I am not sure what meaning the match has vis-a-vis the RWC. But should be good viewing, none the less.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Thu 04 Aug 2011, 11:26 pm

Morning folks:

Pot Hale........... i saw your 50,000 comment above,it caused me to count 7 New Zealand cities that have hosted All black International test matches in the past three years, we in new zealand have to work very hard to make rugby succesful in New Zealand,what may work for you guys in Ireland may not neccessarily work down here.
i wont be on 606 to morrow evening,just nipping out to have a look at a rugby game over in the Sandringham area..... the surface at eden park is apparently like Augusta..

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by boomeranga Fri 05 Aug 2011, 12:24 am

What is the increase in capacity since the redevelopment?

boomeranga

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Fri 05 Aug 2011, 12:42 am

chewed_mintie wrote: because the AB's belong to the country, not Auckland.

Ay...when did that change?

Laurie, Thought you were looking after things up there? Erm

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Fri 05 Aug 2011, 12:52 am

boomeranga wrote:What is the increase in capacity since the redevelopment?

47,500 up to 50,000... then another 10,000 temporary seats.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by PerryGee Fri 05 Aug 2011, 1:37 am

I think that the Wallabies can edge this one. The first draft players (not those who played against an awesome Samoa) are in dazzling form and seem to play with a vibrancy and energy that I haven't seen before. As in previous campaigns, I think that the All Blacks may have peaked too soon and Australia are coming intoa very rich vein of form.

Whatever the result, I think this one is gonna be a cracker.

Australia by 5.

PerryGee

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Fri 05 Aug 2011, 2:49 am

Perhaps PerryGee. Agree with the being a cracker.

I think there's a little more confidence in this Oz side than substance.

They have been allowed a little too much latitude than I think they'll get Saturday and quite frankly I cannot see this AB side being beaten.

It is far too strong across the board and regardless of Deans finding confidence from who knows where he could come to...(another- 2nd for the year so far...) embarrassing thump on Saturday.

The fact that it is at Eden Park is another factor. Regardless of what anyone says, it is currently the toughest venue in the world to win an international rugby test against the AB's by number of wins/ losses. One, in 34 matches since the last Oz win.

I think Saturday we'll see why that is. Way too much confidence in the Oz camp.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Fri 05 Aug 2011, 2:58 am

Boomer
thefigures that linebreaker gave are what was on our news the other night, temporary seating will be ripped out and shipped off to london,after the WC for Olympic duties.
So yes it maxs out this weekend at just over 60,000.
Mintie/taylorman
Hey i'd love Auckland to own the the All Blacks, be a big improvement on some of the thick cretans that run around and call themselves the Blues.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Fri 05 Aug 2011, 3:08 am

taylorman
these Australians will not be intimidated by any Eden Park history, when Sekope Kepu was a kid he used to go to the park and support the Blues ,a young guy like that is going to just relish the opportunity to play on it.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob B Fri 05 Aug 2011, 3:10 am

Taylorman,
I recall a very similar post from you before the SR final....

Rob B

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob B Fri 05 Aug 2011, 3:18 am

The last time these sides played last year in NZ the score was 20 -10. It was 17-10 at half time; 3-0 in the second half. Is NZ a batter side than last year? Not all. They are rolling out the same faces - I say in all likelihood they will be hard to beat but I have seen nothing to suggest they are better than last year - they are probably on the wane which is why they have to be so careful in managing their older players this year. Cannot see the basis for these 15-20 point margins being predicted.

Rob B

Back to top Go down

Post by boomeranga Fri 05 Aug 2011, 3:24 am

Thanks Lb and Laurie. 50000 sounds like a practical enough permanent size.

I took a virtual tour of it the other day. I understand it has been contentious, but it looks good to me.

boomeranga

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Fri 05 Aug 2011, 3:42 am

in terms of facilities Iprefer Suncorp or even SFS, but the playing surface at eden Park is in another world.
reality is Auckland cant justify anything bigger than 50k, we could never get the turnover (as in the rquired number of events over say 20k) to cover costs. When I look at NRL games at Homebush I'm guessing something must be being subsidised,and thats with Sydneys population..

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Fri 05 Aug 2011, 4:01 am

Rob B wrote:Taylorman,

Yes I got that wrong. It was close and the Reds were too good that day.

I also said 35 point win over the Boks and got that wrong by a conversion.

In terms of AB scores I've actually been very close in most results re the difference over the past year- largely on 606 but obviously you cant pick them all.

To me its simple- let Oz run the ball with time and space and pay the price. Dominate the exchanges- scrums, lineouts and breakdowns- all 3 a likely scenario, shut down the amount of time and space around Genia and Cooper and the result will be a convincing win. I figure the latter is more likely.

17/18 points is realistic I reckon.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob B Fri 05 Aug 2011, 5:48 am

Taylorman wrote:
Rob B wrote:Taylorman,

Yes I got that wrong. It was close and the Reds were too good that day.

I also said 35 point win over the Boks and got that wrong by a conversion.

In terms of AB scores I've actually been very close in most results re the difference over the past year- largely on 606 but obviously you cant pick them all.

To me its simple- let Oz run the ball with time and space and pay the price. Dominate the exchanges- scrums, lineouts and breakdowns- all 3 a likely scenario, shut down the amount of time and space around Genia and Cooper and the result will be a convincing win. I figure the latter is more likely.

17/18 points is realistic I reckon.

Too much focus on shutting Genia and Cooper down will have its downsides, as we saw with the Crusaders. Crusaders did a farly good job niggly Genia which had an impact. Though I would say impossible to do so for 80 mins which is what they will seek to do. Genia will still get his opportunities despite the atention on him - it is inevitable. And with all that focus on shutting them down often that impacts on the potentcy of the attack. Crusaders didn't score enough points as a result- 13 was not enough to beat the Reds and 13 will not be enough to beat W. A large part of the shutting down strategy will also rely on slwoing down the ball, joining from the sdie and lying in the way of the attacking ruck - let's hope Joubert has the courage to referee that aspect of play (some don't) which will have a big impact on the success of the shutting down strategy.

Rob B

Back to top Go down

Post by PerryGee Fri 05 Aug 2011, 6:03 am

Taylorman, the Aussies have never been a nation with less than it's fair share of confidence. As a neutral, I believe that there is real substance behind this confidence, just look at the SXV campaign by the Reds and pretty much the whole back line for the boys in Green and Gold.

I also believe that Australia had their embarrassing thump a few weeks ago against Samoa.

This is not to dismiss NZ in any way as to do so is very perilous. But I have a feeling that the Wallabies are hitting their straps at the right time and NZ may be a little overcooked. I think that the energy that they young tyros are bringing in is a massive boost for the Australian chances in this World Cup.

PerryGee

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Fri 05 Aug 2011, 6:40 am

This match has been overanalysed to death,Crusaders are not the All Blacks,Reds not Australia.
Both teams want to forget the other and play there own games ,both sides it wil be get Carter/Cooper.
They all know what both teams can do,what they can`t,both sides are scoring points.
Read some papers Wallabies have best backline in the world,just give them the ball.Then its a matter of how many points they win by.
Well the all Blacks have the odd back who can play too.
IF the Ref does indeed take a close look at the breakdown,then HOPEFULLY he will do it to both sides.
Pocock wil be as vulnerable as McCaw ,and if he looks at the scrum OZ could be in trouble too.
History may mean nothing,BUT Eden Park hoodoo or not,Australia have won 12 matches in NZ since 1903,,3 since 1996.
For all the comparisons you make about Reds versus Crusaders perhaps the key one is Both there wins were at HOME.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri 05 Aug 2011, 6:50 am

I heard last night on RE-Union that the Wallabies are confident about their chances in New Zealand, well confidence it might be, I personally think it is bravado, or perhaps just mind games.

They know because their their recent history vs New Zealand in New Zealand, they need to win this one, if they want to take any real confidence into the RWC and beating NZ in a possible final.

Somehow, I doubt that will happen tomorrow.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob B Fri 05 Aug 2011, 6:57 am

I just wonder where the crime is in being confident. Being over-confident - that's another issue and I have heard nothing to indicate that. Even Hansen throwing a tantrum because "the Wallabies are not in awe of us; they probably don't even respect us!) Goodness me. Maybe the W team should be lining up outside the ABs dressing room before the game getting their autographs in order to gain absolution from having confidence.

Rob B

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri 05 Aug 2011, 7:20 am

Rob B wrote:I just wonder where the crime is in being confident. Being over-confident - that's another issue and I have heard nothing to indicate that. Even Hansen throwing a tantrum because "the Wallabies are not in awe of us; they probably don't even respect us!) Goodness me. Maybe the W team should be lining up outside the ABs dressing room before the game getting their autographs in order to gain absolution from having confidence.

Rob, I don't think it is a crime, I often watch Re-Union, and what I have learnt over the years is that the New Zealand media ( when you read between the lines) and in particular, Tony the guy hosting it, that New Zealand HAS to be the best.

Last night ( we see the show a few days later than they get it), I was listening to Richard Loe, Murray Mexted and Tony.

They have a knack of talking up the performance of the All Blacks to an extent where they rarely are objective in their points of view.

Firstly two of the tries the All Blacks scored, Richie McCaw had a hand in subtly blocking defenders, but not a word spoken. I am not saying the All Blacks wouldn't have scored anyway, that is how easy it was out there for them.

Some of those tries almost any team with fast backs would have scored. Many times the defensive organisation was so poor that when the All Blacks went from left to right or from atacking right to left, there were a few props and perhaps another tight forward as the defensive line.

South Africa was so poor in that match, most team could have beaten them.

One thing is for sure, although you can't really call them overly bias, they sure do like to find that silver lining around every cloud.

It was very hard indeed for them to admit that it was a poor Bok team, but rather focused on the Brilliance of All Black rugby. Ultimately it is very hard for them to admit someone else is ever better.

Classic example are the Crusaders, Reds round robin match and the error ridden match the referee had, they don't complain about it as such, they merely state facts, and then in the end, almost as if to make it all sound objective, Tony provides his summation on how this effects rugby as a whole.

I love watching this program for one reason only, they won't compliment the springboks, but they do compliment talent, and it is an outside look into our talent.

Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by welshjohn369 Fri 05 Aug 2011, 7:30 am

I certainly agree, I really hate listening to the NZ commentators. What I hear is even when the opposition take the lead they are still all AB focussed, it's only when the last 20 comes and the AB's are still losing that the HUGE excuses come in.

I think it is a kiwi mentality to think that it was the Kiwi team that was not at its best rather than the opposition smashing them. We also have all the other excuses too....poisoned milo, silly English refs etc etc ......(...add excuse here).

Still I will be in the Platinum seats at Eden Park tomorrow in my Neath All Black Jersey. $160 for a ticket....more than 80 quid in UK now what would be the cost of the best ticket at HQ tomorrow?
welshjohn369
welshjohn369

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Fri 05 Aug 2011, 7:34 am

No crime in being overconfident Rob but if the 'Team that can now beat any team in the world on a regular basis' get thrashed tomorrow, where does that leave that confidence. Probably where it was before the match. In the clouds.

All this talk has sucked in the Oz rugby public that greatness is on the horizon when its looking as fragile as ever. The Oz public were screaming blue murder with Samoa and with a none too convincing win over a poor SA2 all that faith has been restored all of a sudden with Deans once again shouting from the rooftops.

As with last year... the Crusaders are not the All Blacks....like the Boks found out last year at Eden Park-came here with confidence and got run over by a truck.

And if they win. The thats great. It means I'm very wrong but it also means this AB team is in turmoil because it doesnt get much better than this. And for that reason I cant see it.

GH is fully aware of the stakes here and like Samoa, I don't think Deans has a clue.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Fri 05 Aug 2011, 7:40 am

Biltong you were saying the same defensive lapses were there against Oz and I agree, SA 2 were horrible. So were both Oz and NZ in dispatching them.

But it was a weird situation for both teams. Same jerseys, different players.

Deans now has the same team, GH has injected 6 or 7 fresh starting players. I dont think he would have done this if he didnt think they could hack it.

But one thing for sure is the intensity will go up threefold tomorrow and it will be who handles it better.

Despite all that. Some teams get a right bomb up their &^$^ when they lose. We dont seem to get those losses when we need them at World cup time- we seem to get that bomb at knockout. So theres good in a loss tomorrow- the next team that goes out will be seething...

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by chewed_mintie Fri 05 Aug 2011, 7:40 am

Welshjohn, I called you out on this last week; do you not think with the addition of Justin Marshall, there is an improvement in impartiality? I think he's over critical of NZ play and tells it like it is.

In terms of pricing, best seats in Twickers could go for more than £80 quid easily.

chewed_mintie

Back to top Go down

Post by welshjohn369 Fri 05 Aug 2011, 7:41 am

I hope all that scaffolding stands up to KFC fed kiwis at Eden Park Laugh
welshjohn369
welshjohn369

Back to top Go down

Post by welshjohn369 Fri 05 Aug 2011, 7:49 am

chewed_mintie wrote:Welshjohn, I called you out on this last week; do you not think with the addition of Justin Marshall, there is an improvement in impartiality? I think he's over critical of NZ play and tells it like it is.

In terms of pricing, best seats in Twickers could go for more than £80 quid easily.

Justin as an AB was an arrogant oaf to be honest, he thought he was better than the rest and I saw him walk past little kids asking for his autograph. My honest opinion is get guys like Anton Oliver when he returns to NZ, get some real old boys like Pinetrees up there, the Goings and lads who can accept NZ defeat with genuine respect to the opposition. I think I am yet to hear a NZ commentator or media in general turn around and say "The opposition beat us fair and square". I think many would embrace the AB's if this happened. Kamo ain't too bad either, unless he is in Whangarei commentating, but I can handle that Hug
welshjohn369
welshjohn369

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Fri 05 Aug 2011, 7:49 am

We get the same sort of thing with the Oz League commentators. Although we've stolen some pretty good silverware from under them lately there's not a lot of credit going the way of the Kiwis.

I quite like Marshall and I think his NH experience has given some impartiality. It happens with all sports. Fact is its a NZ programme for NZers following their own teams. If the commentators started ramping up the Boks more viewers would wonder whats going on. True some are worse than others but true objectivity from all participants would be boring as it wouldnt allow the personalities to come out- show their true skins

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri 05 Aug 2011, 7:52 am

Taylorman, I agree with you.

The difference between SA and their depth vs the All Blacks and their depth is totally different approaches.

When you look at the foundation of any rugby team, it starts with the forwards.

Graham Henry will not do a PDV on his team. John Smit had 103 caps and his front row props zero. Take Danie Rossouw out and the rest of the pack had something like 10 caps between them.

Yes Henry experiments ( and that is the keyword) with Thompson at 8.

Did you honestly think SA would stand any chance in controlling tight phases and break downs.

Never mate.

Game lost.

Now we get to the backs, and see how far this loss will be.

A backline assesses what is in front of them and then attack those weaknesses. Well there were so many apparent weaknesses in our backline it looked like a school's thirds team who never seen a coach in their life.

Go look in particular what NZ did on the day, they simply went left, then right, eventually the Bok defense was so scattered that the back line was on one side and the forwards on the other. Easy meat.

One thing I have to say that frustrated me to no end, and a captain like John Smit with his experience should have learn't how to deal with this.

The Australian and New Zealand teams, has a very subtle borderline way of blocking defenders in a manner where the referee allows play to continue.

If you look at one of the All Black tries. Richie McCaw stand in the SA backline and runs a blocking line all the way staying just in front of Ashley Johnson I think it was. Nothing illegal about it. Then in the first try the All Blacks scored, once again Richie is clearly behind our side of the last feet of the ruck, taking out our players, the ball comes out, Nonu runs into our defender drifting to the outside, and easy peasy overlap, try.

Now the way I see it, SA needs to learn from this, and be aware of these players and their tactics, make sure the referee knows about it, talk to the man. Otherwise as in the assie game, when a guy runs interference on your line of attack, stop trhowing your damn hands in the air, tackle the toffee out of the guy, every time he does it, until he stops.

Last edited by biltongbek on Fri 05 Aug 2011, 7:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by chewed_mintie Fri 05 Aug 2011, 7:55 am

I think Keith Quinn gets forgotten a bit these days but he is far an away the best....

Yes, Marshall was/is arrogant, strangely he has a great reputation in Wales for punditry, due to his 'telling it like it is' attitude on ScrumV

chewed_mintie

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Fri 05 Aug 2011, 8:00 am

yeah I did notice McCaw was often in odd places.As though he was controlling the space that the ball carrier wanted to move into. I think even Jane had to run around him on the way to his try.

Looking for a BIG match from Owen Franks tomorrow. I think of all of them a man with a mission. Keven M as well. Hes so valuable in that breakdown area keeping the momentum going. Depth is certainly there now. Also not underestimating the leadership/ decision makers in key positions.

Henry will have sorted something for Cooper- I just have no idea what that will be...

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by welshjohn369 Fri 05 Aug 2011, 8:02 am

Maybe I am an old oh dear and still long for the elderly Scottich Gentleman from Hawick to return, there has been not better world wide. A totally impartial gentleman who knew all there was to know about rugby.

In all honesty these days every country has theur commentators and they are of course partial to their own country.

Maybe as a young lad I was brought up on said Scottish legend and never quite got used to any other commentator.

In truth I guess NZ, SA and Wales would be the worst at commentary seeing it is our National game but JI of england takes the gold laughing
welshjohn369
welshjohn369

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob B Fri 05 Aug 2011, 8:03 am

Taylorman wrote:No crime in being overconfident Rob but if the 'Team that can now beat any team in the world on a regular basis' get thrashed tomorrow, where does that leave that confidence. Probably where it was before the match. In the clouds.

All this talk has sucked in the Oz rugby public that greatness is on the horizon when its looking as fragile as ever. The Oz public were screaming blue murder with Samoa and with a none too convincing win over a poor SA2 all that faith has been restored all of a sudden with Deans once again shouting from the rooftops.

As with last year... the Crusaders are not the All Blacks....like the Boks found out last year at Eden Park-came here with confidence and got run over by a truck.

And if they win. The thats great. It means I'm very wrong but it also means this AB team is in turmoil because it doesnt get much better than this. And for that reason I cant see it.

GH is fully aware of the stakes here and like Samoa, I don't think Deans has a clue.

they were up 33-6 after an hour and subbed 6 players - hard to see why the win is not seen as convincing with a 39-20 scoreline with 2 soft tries from SA at the end. the game was well and truly done and dusted.

Turmoil for the ABs if they lose - I agree. They will be calling in the psychiatrists big time. For Oz, can't see any turmoil - they will simply turn up and have a crack next time. Not a lot to lose for them tomorrow IMO.

Rob B

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri 05 Aug 2011, 8:10 am

Taylorman wrote:Henry will have sorted something for Cooper- I just have no idea what that will be...

This is a simple way of looking at it, but the way you deal with Cooper is to start with Genia, I am sure the loose trio will hunt Genia all night ling and McCaw will most likely be the foil for Cooper.

Other than that if you llok at why Cooper was so effective against SA, we had Morne Steyn at his best not a great defender, but he was far too hesitant when Cooper got the ball, add to that Wynand olivier who also sat back and both of them waited to see what Cooper was going to do, that alone got him over the gainline, and then it was all over.

You need a guy that does not hesitate, go in for the tckle, commit one way or the other, if you aim for left, he can only go right, have a second guy there for that. But to stand off and wait, is suicide. You tackle the toffee out oof hima a few times in the first half, and his confidence will be broken.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by chewed_mintie Fri 05 Aug 2011, 8:15 am

Agree about McLaren, I remember he came out to commentate the Nz v Scotland series in 1996 on TVNZ, he was brilliant with his descriptions. There are none finer than he, bless his soul. Quinny is the best we can put up to him but even he stands in that shadow.

Anyway, onto the rugby. I am in a peculiar spot. Flying to Toulouse tonight and staying out in the wop-wops, no coverage available so am hoping I might pick up a link online, if only IPhone supported flash I'd be fine but will have to pray it is on Justin.tv. Enough of that, whatever the situation this won't be a damp squib, we're in for a cracker.

chewed_mintie

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri 05 Aug 2011, 8:16 am

Remeber Stephen Larkham? He had the same ability to put doubt in the defence, this is the way you deal with that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OblFcmKuUMg

Ok, there was already advantage played by the referee, but look at the commitment, no hesitancy.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Fri 05 Aug 2011, 8:21 am

Yea Rob I think both teams didn't scrub up well against the SA side. Both should have scored more. The difference tomorrow is Deans hasn't added anything where the AB's is clearly stronger than last week provided the fresh guys front.

AB's wont need psyches if they lose. The psyche will be there in the form of the big 'L' shape and I reckon a loss would be good for them in terms of the world cup.

Sometimes only a loss can give you the focus you need.

My only gripe through all this is I think the confidence out of the coach, camp and support in general is misplaced. But hey, who would be running around saying' we have a chance'... not a lot in that either.

In saying that, if Oz get rolled tomorrow then the WCup will again take on the usual pattern of years gone by, releasing the choking dragon from its pen. Where it goes nobody knows.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Fri 05 Aug 2011, 8:26 am

Yes Biltong, robbing Cooper and Genia of time and space is key. Its more the broken play when Cooper drops back. Will he be given the ball- at all or even deliberately in the hope of nailing him, and his confidence.

GH is one to deal with a situation, full on, not cover it off as risk mitigation I'm guessing he'll have something deliberate, perhaps to set him up. Who knows...

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Fri 05 Aug 2011, 10:38 am

chewed_mintie wrote:Agree about McLaren, I remember he came out to commentate the Nz v Scotland series in 1996 on TVNZ, he was brilliant with his descriptions. There are none finer than he, bless his soul. Quinny is the best we can put up to him but even he stands in that shadow.

Anyway, onto the rugby. I am in a peculiar spot. Flying to Toulouse tonight and staying out in the wop-wops, no coverage available so am hoping I might pick up a link online, if only IPhone supported flash I'd be fine but will have to pray it is on Justin.tv. Enough of that, whatever the situation this won't be a damp squib, we're in for a cracker.
Really mintie? There's a bunch of us (KiwiRedDevil, hugh1986, Rava, & myself) passing thru Toulouse airport late this afternoon on our way to a birthday party out in the boonies - not going to the same gig, are you?

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreyGhost Fri 05 Aug 2011, 10:41 am

chewed_mintie wrote:
What would I do if I won EuroMillions? give the AB's and England a healthy wedge to play a game at Old Trafford in November....try and kick some life into the sport in the north....

Oh no, not this idea again. We all know how this turns out.

The All Blacks win, and England do a lap of honour for "not losing by too much", the English newspapers claim it as moral victory.

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Fri 05 Aug 2011, 10:42 am

Broken Record

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreyGhost Fri 05 Aug 2011, 10:55 am

Pot Hale wrote:50,000? Wow! That's a big crowd for NZ.

Yeah. Have to agree. New Zealand/Auckland typically missed a trick. The usual infighting ensued and we've ended up with a rag-tag Eden park with the same old transport issues, the same old local resident issues and yet another incremental and motley collection of compromised stands around a not-quite rugby pitch and not-quite cricket pitch. All at the cost of millions of wasted dollars.

The description of the rattling and uncomfortable temporary stands just fill me with despair. The fact that the money plowed into the disasterous trains/station that will never work is frustrating. Someone has pocketed a mint in that little scam.

It's symptomatic of the small minded and self important petty parochial bureaucratic squabbling that goes on between the little big-men of the various councils of the Auckland region. The same bunch of clowns that led to a central city power strike a decade ago that took almost 6 months to resolve because anybody who knew anything about the electricity infrastructure had been sacked and the buildings containing the vaults with the plans had all been mothballed.

Getting along to Eden Park is a pain in the bum. Not in comparison with getting to some national stadiums (for example Twickenham, another suburban transport bound destination), but in comparison to the ease of achieving anything else in NZ. When you get there you don't find an international standard experience. But you do find an international standard expense. In fact in local cost of living terms it's around twice as expensive as showing up to most European national stadiums to watch a game. Who really wants to be paying that much to end up climbing rickety scaffolding to sit on a too-small riveted down plastic seat teetering above the distant pitch, squinting at the action with a howling gale buffeting stinging rain into your face after a 30 minute hike through Mt Eden? Just over 55,000 people, apparently. Little wonder.

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Post by chewed_mintie Fri 05 Aug 2011, 11:17 am

ASBO - probably just a coincidence mate, I'm heading up to the Averyon, about 80 min north of Toulouse where the wife and small blacks are staying. God bless south west France, possibly my favourite place on earth.

Having said that if the party is in my vicinity, please disclose the details!

chewed_mintie

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Fri 05 Aug 2011, 11:38 am

We're headed about 120k northwest, near Nerac and the wonderfully named, Condom!! You'd be more than welcome!

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 05 Aug 2011, 11:45 am

give the AB's and England a healthy wedge to play a game at Old Trafford in November

There's no reason (other than the RFU lining their pockets) that England couldn't take the AIs on the road. There's plenty of big stadiums around the country and with Welford Rd soon to be upping it's capacity again (re-development of the Crumbie next summer) there are plenty of options. You could open the AIs with a big test at Twickers play the smaller test (e.g. Samoa) at Welford Rd and then another big test at Old Trafford before returning to Twickers for the last game. 2 at HQ one in the midlands and one up north. Sorted.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next