The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Different flight with driver cf. other clubs?

+2
Lairdy
navyblueshorts
6 posters

Go down

Different flight with driver cf. other clubs? Empty Different flight with driver cf. other clubs?

Post by navyblueshorts Fri 05 Aug 2011, 9:59 am

Does anyone out there have a different flight (deliberate or otherwise) with their driver compared to all the other clubs in their bag? I tend to hit a small draw most of the time but have a real struggle hitting a reliable one with these modern 460cc drivers. I do hit a really nice consistent fade with my current driver which I'm trying to convince myself is fine even though I draw everything else!

Anyone else do this kind of thing? Do any pros do this?
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Different flight with driver cf. other clubs? Empty Re: Different flight with driver cf. other clubs?

Post by Lairdy Fri 05 Aug 2011, 10:27 am

I think McDowell does that nbs... sure I read an article on skysports in the lead up to the masters where he said as much.

I had it for a while there but being mid season I went back to hitting a fade with the irons to match the driver. It seems to have settled my game now. I would think that if someone is comfortable hitting draws with irons but not the driver it could be down to a set up issue like ball position or something. I like to have the ball quite far forward when hitting driver as I just dont feel comfortable with the ball further back.

Lairdy

Back to top Go down

Different flight with driver cf. other clubs? Empty Re: Different flight with driver cf. other clubs?

Post by navyblueshorts Fri 05 Aug 2011, 10:37 am

Lairdy wrote:I would think that if someone is comfortable hitting draws with irons but not the driver it could be down to a set up issue like ball position or something. I like to have the ball quite far forward when hitting driver as I just dont feel comfortable with the ball further back.

Yea. I get a more consistent draw with the ball further back but I don't like the feel of it at all. Maybe I'll have to experiment with a fade throughout my game (again!) or stick with this current oddity.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by SetupDeterminesTheMotion Fri 05 Aug 2011, 11:21 am

GMac is a drawer of the ball with his driver. If you check his setup, it will always go left, gentle draw or wild hook.
SetupDeterminesTheMotion
SetupDeterminesTheMotion

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Fri 05 Aug 2011, 11:25 am

When actually able to play I like to shape the ball as much as possible but for a stock shot I would say I go for the draw with the Driver. With my irons I always prefer to play a soft cut shot to get the ball to stop quicker especially with the short irons.

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Lairdy Fri 05 Aug 2011, 1:01 pm

nbs - shafts might have something to do with it as well. If you have a relatively stiffer shaft in your driver compared to the irons it could cause the difference in shot shapes.

Lairdy

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Fri 05 Aug 2011, 1:33 pm

Lairdy wrote:nbs - shafts might have something to do with it as well. If you have a relatively stiffer shaft in your driver compared to the irons it could cause the difference in shot shapes.

Yeah. Wondered about that as well but I think it's me (isn't it always?) as my current driver (Ping Rapture V2 w/ Blueboard 63S @ 44.5") behaves the same as a couple of others I've been alternating recently. I can hit a big hook with the Rapture if I really try but basically it wants to go straight/fade....which is a problem if I set up for my standard draw. My irons have the TT DGS300s in them so I don't think it's that they're much less stiff. The Blueboard is ~3.6* torque and rumour has it they tend to play a little softer than stated flex cf. other shafts.

May have to learn to love a fade I think....at least it'll take the left side out of the course from the tee.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Lairdy Fri 05 Aug 2011, 1:45 pm

navyblueshorts wrote:
Lairdy wrote:nbs - shafts might have something to do with it as well. If you have a relatively stiffer shaft in your driver compared to the irons it could cause the difference in shot shapes.

Yeah. Wondered about that as well but I think it's me (isn't it always?) as my current driver (Ping Rapture V2 w/ Blueboard 63S @ 44.5") behaves the same as a couple of others I've been alternating recently. I can hit a big hook with the Rapture if I really try but basically it wants to go straight/fade....which is a problem if I set up for my standard draw. My irons have the TT DGS300s in them so I don't think it's that they're much less stiff. The Blueboard is ~3.6* torque and rumour has it they tend to play a little softer than stated flex cf. other shafts.

May have to learn to love a fade I think....at least it'll take the left side out of the course from the tee.

No expert in shafts by any means but it doesnt sound like its an equipment thing for you. It might be for me with my stiff driver shaft and regular flex irons but I am probably on the cusp of stiff for my irons so I dont like to think my driver shaft is too stiff. I think I struggle to hit draws with the driver because I have a slightly open driver face plus when I try and hit draw with the driver I take the club to the inside too quickly on the way back and get stuck on the way down. I tend to find I can hit it long enough with a fade anyway.

Lairdy

Back to top Go down

Post by Yadsendew Fri 05 Aug 2011, 2:00 pm

I tend to draw err, now let's be honest, hook my Irons and Woods but every now and again I'll push fade my driver usually with disastrous consequence (about one in ten). Strangely, it tends to happen on the same holes but not consistently. This suggests it's a 'head' thing....not the club head but my thick head. It's probably a commitment issue but even odder is that I do it more so with my three wood and that indeed may be to do with a combination of the smaller club head and lack of commitment.

I've dropped from 12 to 9.6 over the Summer (never been down to single figures) so I'm not going to change things!). So essentially Navy, I haven't a clue why the odd shot goes exactly the wrong way Shocked

The shafts in my Irons are regular and the Woods are stiff. Being the daft old fart that I am I would love to understand why the odd shot goes pear shaped (opposite to where it normally goes) without me consciously changing my routine Erm

Yadsendew

Back to top Go down

Post by cornwell74 Fri 05 Aug 2011, 10:07 pm

For me, as the club gets longer, the fade gets stronger. I can happily hit a consistent 5 yard draw with my seven iron all day, when I try to draw the driver best I can manage is a flat hook. My best driver strike is a cut.

This happened after I took a lesson (with the pro that I've been with for 3 years) who thought that I was getting lazy/flat on the backswing and made my swingplane more upright. Bring on the fade. More consistent though.

I think that it threw out my timing a bit. I've just had to live with it this season but not being able to hit what used to be my stock draw with a driver is frustrating.

Stiff shafts in all my clubs but maybe the Voodoo Serrano in the G15 is a bit less whippy than the TT XP S300s in the irons.

So yes, I do have a different flight with my driver.

cornwell74

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down