The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Danny Welbeck picked ahead of Darren Bent and the rest of the England squad

3 posters

Go down

Danny Welbeck picked ahead of Darren Bent and the rest of the England squad Empty Danny Welbeck picked ahead of Darren Bent and the rest of the England squad

Post by Crimey Sun 07 Aug 2011, 8:59 am

England squad to play Netherlands on 10 August:

Goalkeepers: Robert Green, Joe Hart, David Stockdale
Defenders: Leighton Baines, Gary Cahill, Ashley Cole, Rio Ferdinand, Phil Jagielka, Joleon Lescott, Micah Richards, John Terry, Kyle Walker
Midfielders: Gareth Barry, Michael Carrick, Stewart Downing, Adam Johnson, Frank Lampard, James Milner, Scott Parker, Jack Wilshere, Ashley Young
Forwards: Andy Carroll, Peter Crouch, Wayne Rooney, Danny Welbeck

Manchester United striker Danny Welbeck has been named in England's 25-man squad for the friendly with Netherlands next Wednesday. The 20-year-old is selected ahead of Aston Villa's Darren Bent and Tottenham's Jermain Defoe as Fabio Capello's fourth striking option. Welbeck made his international debut against Ghana in March after impressing on loan at Sunderland.

Arsenal's Jack Wilshere is also included despite an ankle injury.

Welbeck scored six goals in 26 league appearances for the Black Cats last season, and was part of the England Under-21 squad at this summer's European Championships. While Defoe struggled for form last season with Spurs, Bent's omission is more of a surprise. The 27-year-old was the top-scoring Englishman in the Premier League last season with 17 goals for Sunderland and Aston Villa, but was part of the England side that struggled to a 2-2 draw at home to Switzerland in June.

Arsene Wenger, Wilshere's club manager at the Emirates, had warned that if the midfielder failed to play against Benfica on Saturday he would "certainly" not play against the Dutch. After having a scan on his injured ankle, Wilshere did not feature in the pre-season friendly, but has been selected by Capello regardless.

Manchester United's Phil Jones did not make the squad despite reports he had been included on Friday. Liverpool's Glen Johnson has been forced out by injury however, after he limped out of the Merseysiders' 2-0 friendly win over Valencia. Tottenham's Kyle Walker and Manchester City's Micah Richards may deputise in his absence, while centre-back Phil Jagielka has been deployed in the position on the last two occasions Johnson has been missing.

Richards only won his first cap under Capello in November and claimed a fortnight ago that he may have to wait for the manager's departure in the wake of Euro 2012 to resume his international career.

Following draws against Ghana and Switzerland at Wembley, England will be hoping to secure their first win since March against the Dutch. Capello's side, who are level at the top of Group G with Montenegro, play European Championship qualifiers against Bulgaria and Wales on 2 September and 6 September respectively.

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/

Although this is just a friendly I do think that's a pretty weird decision, like it or not but Darren Bent is probably the best goalscorer England has at the moment and to leave him out and put in Welbeck who did only fairly well at Sunderland and has no international experience. Bent's biggest criticism is that he isn't 'international class', I think that's unfair on Bent to be honest 10 caps and 3 goals is by no means a bad record, and he's only going to get better for England if he plays more games, I can even understand if we don't want Bent to be our main striker as Capello seems keen on using Rooney and Carroll, but at the end of the day surely we'd all feel more confident if we were a goal behind and we had Darren Bent to call on, I certainly would rather put Bent on at that point ahead of Crouch or Welbeck.

Obviously there are some positives in picking Welbeck, he's young so we're getting them into the squad early, but at the end of the day Euro 2012 is just a year away now, and I can't see Welbeck scoring more goals than Bent this year, I can't even see him getting too long of a period in the first XI unless United have some serious injury problems so it doesn't make sense to get Welbeck ready for the team when we could have Bent in there instead.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Danny Welbeck picked ahead of Darren Bent and the rest of the England squad Empty Re: Danny Welbeck picked ahead of Darren Bent and the rest of the England squad

Post by Guest Sun 07 Aug 2011, 10:12 am

It's strange, part of me is glad that Capello is picking Wellbeck and Sturridge, but both are behind 3 other strikers at their club to get in to the team. I'd hope their managers would loan them out for this season again.

Wenger won't be impressed if Wilshere plays and damages himself, seeing as he didn't play a couple of nights ago due to injury. Although I must admit if Fabregas and Wilshere weren't fit for the opening day I'd be quite happy Very Happy

I'm happy Richards has got a call up as I thought he had a good season last season. It'll be nice if Walker and Richards continue their form and can give Capello a real head ache as to who should be our main RB throughout qualification.

What concerns me is the lack of fresh midfielders breaking through; Carrick, Barry, Lampard and Gerrard will all be 30+ by the time 2012 Euros comes along. I'm not saying stop playing them because they are getting old, but for friendlies that will actually be quite competitive I'd like to see Capello experiment with younger options. Another concern is in the goalkeeping position. Only Joe Hart will play Premier League football out of the three chosen. With Ben Foster 'retiring' himself from international football, I'm struggling to think of an English goalkeeper in the Premier League that will play 30+ league games this season.

My team that I'd like to see play would look something like:
Code:
              Hart

Walker Jagielka Terry A.Cole

Milner, Wilshere

Downing    Rooney      Young

Carroll

Back to top Go down

Danny Welbeck picked ahead of Darren Bent and the rest of the England squad Empty Re: Danny Welbeck picked ahead of Darren Bent and the rest of the England squad

Post by Crimey Sun 07 Aug 2011, 10:30 am

I don't think Green and Stockdale are bad options for back up to Hart, I think if Hart was to get an injury before the tournament ruling him out Foster or Robinson would probably come out of retirement as long as he is definetly going to be our No.1.

I can understand him trying to prepare for the future with Welbeck and Sturridge but at the end of the day those players should be establishing themselves at a club level before they can get into the international squad, I think I'd be more confident with Defoe and Bent on the bench than Welbeck and Sturridge.

I'm fairly certain SAF has said Welbeck WON'T be going on loan this year, but I can't see him getting many games to be honest, he's got to get past Rooney, Berbatov and Hernandez, and I even think if it came down to a big game Fergie might even pick Owen ahead of Welbeck.

Sturridge has probably a better chance at getting games as I assume Chelsea will probably stick with a three man strike-force, but he'll still struggle for starts to be honest, I can't see him staying at Chelsea to be honest, especially if they do get Lukaku I reckon he'll sign for somebody different permamently next summer.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 07 Aug 2011, 10:40 am

Chelsea have already got Lukaku, confirmed last night. Depends whether Chelsea go for one natural striker with two attacking wingers, or throw two strikers out wide. I'm half-expecting not to see Berbatov at Old Trafford by the time the window closes, but if he does then Wellbeck will have to hope for injuries.

I'm happy for them to be back up, but if Hart was to get injured at a major tournament I wouldn't feel quite as confident with a Championship keeper in between the sticks.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 07 Aug 2011, 11:04 am

strange that wellbeck is in the squad to be honest.

Back to top Go down

Post by AberdeenSteve Sun 07 Aug 2011, 11:06 am

It's a friendly, should you really be stressing too much? He is experimenting. Would you rather Welbeck came in for Carroll or Rooney?

AberdeenSteve

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sun 07 Aug 2011, 11:52 am

A friendly for an international side are more important than friendlies for club sides. If Darren Bent is being kept out of the side altogether here, I think it shows a lack of confidence in him from Capello, but I think Bent needs more international games so he can replicate his club form for England. He's our best goal scorer and I think it makes no sense giving Welbeck the international squad experience when most likely he won't have played enough games this year to warrant a place in the Euro finals.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sun 07 Aug 2011, 12:02 pm

Turns out Darren Bent is injured. Laugh

Aston Villa striker Darren Bent on Twitter: "Gutted I had to pull out of the England squad, the shoulder has been bothering me and wanna make sure I'm fully fit for the big KO next week"

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 08 Aug 2011, 1:24 pm

Carrick and Wilshere withdraw, Cleverley drafted in.

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Mon 08 Aug 2011, 1:28 pm

Based on his Charity Shield performance most likely then. Fair enough.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 08 Aug 2011, 1:28 pm

Or his form for Wigan last season as well? I'm half-expecting Welbeck to be withdrawn as well.

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Mon 08 Aug 2011, 1:41 pm

Lets hope Bent is fit foe saturday.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down