The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Have Arsenal lost the fight?

+5
Smirnoffpriest
Soldier_Of_Fortune
Grizzly
Cheesehead United
Crimey
9 posters

Go down

Have Arsenal lost the fight? Empty Have Arsenal lost the fight?

Post by Crimey Thu 11 Aug 2011, 12:17 pm

Arsenal midfielders Cesc Fabregas and Samir Nasri are both close to finalising moves away from the club. Fabregas is on the verge of signing for European champions Barcelona for a fee believed to be about £35m.

BBC Sport also understands that Nasri is set to move to Manchester City with the clubs close to agreeing a fee between £22m and £24m.

According to a senior Arsenal source, all the funds generated by Fabregas's sale will be reinvested in new players. The Gunners have been linked with Scott Dann, Phil Jagielka and Gary Cahill. Gunners boss Arsene Wenger looks intent on strengthening his defence and reports have suggested centre-backs Dann of Birmingham, Everton's Jagielka and Cahill of Bolton could be targets.

Fabregas, 24, would be unable to feature for Barcelona in the Champions League if he plays a part in Arsenal's match with Udinese on Tuesday, motivating both clubs to complete a deal before that game. BBC Sport understands a fee of £30m, plus over £5m of additional performance-related payments, is close to being reached for Fabregas.

Nasri's value to Arsenal would decrease to zero if he is allowed to run down the final year of a contract he signed with the club on joining from Marseille in July 2008. But manager Arsene Wenger suggested in July that he would prefer to let the France international leave for free next summer rather than sell. Wenger also claimed that the departure of both players would send the wrong message to their own players and their rivals.

"If we lose Fabregas and Nasri - you cannot convince people you are ambitious after that," he said. It is believed that, if Fabregas is sold, the Spaniard will be due £4m in compensation - £1m for each year of his contract he did not complete - but may be prepared to forego that payment in order to facilitate a deal. Negotiations have been conducted by Barcelona's vice-president Josep Maria Bartomeu and is believed to be a final take-it-or-leave-it offer, leaving Arsenal having to sell one of the major assets or keep a player who has his heart set on a move.

The transfer fee is significantly less than the £40m that Arsenal had been holding out for and suggests that the Gunners felt they had no choice but to sell a player who wanted to leave. Fabregas, who has 58 caps for Spain, joined Arsenal from the Catalan giants in 2003 and, since making his name in north London, has been persistently linked with a return to his boyhood club. Barcelona made their first formal offer for Fabregas in June 2010.

source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/14482418.stm

For all the talk of how you need to have players who want to be at the club and the money being reinvested, Arsenal's squad wil be significantly weaker without Fabregas and Nasri, their two main creative forces. It also sends the wrong message to their other top players who other clubs could become interested in, because it now seems they may be on a sinking ship, selling Nasri to one of their main Premier League rivals could also be a huge mistake as he helps City get above them in the league again.

Bad news for Arsenal IMO.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Have Arsenal lost the fight? Empty Re: Have Arsenal lost the fight?

Post by Guest Thu 11 Aug 2011, 12:19 pm

With that £50m Wenger seriously needs to start reinvesting in some already established players. Rumour about Scott Dann being in talks is a start, but they will need to bring in another attacking midfielder and might look to bring in a striker to partner RVP. Can't just sell those two and not bring anyone in.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cheesehead United Thu 11 Aug 2011, 12:23 pm

If they don't replace them with top quality players, there will be riots in London (again).

Cheesehead United

Back to top Go down

Post by Grizzly Thu 11 Aug 2011, 12:30 pm

'Bad news for Arsenal IMO.'

Agreed.
But Cescs reasons for wanting out are well known, Nasri said months ago that he thought he should be on more money, got offered new deal worth £90k a week then said it wasn't about money, then said it was about winning things and appeares to have chosen City over Utd as it's been widely reported that he has agreed personal terms at £160k a week ?
Do I want him at my club ? Probably not

Grizzly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 11 Aug 2011, 12:32 pm

Grizzly, do you think Wenger will put out the money to bring in some new players now? Off the top of my head I'd say you could do with a LB, CB (Depending on how you rate Djourou), CM and possibly another striker.

Back to top Go down

Post by Grizzly Thu 11 Aug 2011, 12:37 pm

I do Churchill, I don't think you get to this late stage (of the transfer window) without having a plan B.
I always wonder why things aren't sorted in July when everyone is on holiday and there's no disruption to clubs pre-season and season plans.
I think we'll get Jagielka or Cahill but not both, and I think he'll be looking at a playmaker now - of course the trouble is that when Wenger picks up the phone the other end and doubling whatever number they think their player is valued at given Arsenals desperation.
Personally I'd like to see the transfer window close 31 July

Grizzly

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Thu 11 Aug 2011, 12:38 pm

This is good news for Liverpool, if they can get these deals done ASAP, they must sign a marquee player in the mold of Mata or I dont think too many Gunner fans will be happy.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Grizzly Thu 11 Aug 2011, 12:51 pm

SOF - marquee players are not Wengers style, I really don't see him spending stupid money - when Liverpool panicked they got raped by Newcastle over Carroll when the better forward had already been signed in a more structured way for a little more than half the money, the clock can dictate the price in some situations, that and of course the passport....

Grizzly

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Thu 11 Aug 2011, 1:01 pm

Grizzly wrote:SOF - marquee players are not Wengers style, I really don't see him spending stupid money - when Liverpool panicked they got raped by Newcastle over Carroll when the better forward had already been signed in a more structured way for a little more than half the money, the clock can dictate the price in some situations, that and of course the passport....

NOt to concerned about the amout we paid. He obviously wanted Carroll and Newcastle didnt want to sell but knew we had £50mill in the bank over Torres. I was glad that Liverpool are spending money again and going after there number 1 targets after about 4 years of balancing the books. Its a long term investment and am please with what I have seen so far.

I can remember Wenger back in the day buying the likes of Henry, Pires, Reyes, Wiltord and even Arshavin more recently. You need player that can slot right in now and also need a little metal in your team, which I havent seen for a while. Plus whats the deal of not buying a GK again! Especially after seeing Given go for a mesley £3.5mill which is probably signing of the season so far.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Grizzly Thu 11 Aug 2011, 2:11 pm

GK now not an issue, Chesney probably came in a season too soon last year but he did well and now has that experience - I agree Given was a mistake 3/4 years ago, as was not buying Shwartzer for peanuts a year ago.

None of those players you mention were marquees signings at the time, they were all considered huge risks in fact, and none of these cost more than Chelsea/City would pay for an average squad player.

As for Carroll, I agree the jury is still out and it's not possible to decide if he is a bust yet, but £35m was way over the odds, he may well turn out to be a star and worth every penny but the only reason Liverpool were forced to pay that much for him was because the world knew they had £50m burning a hole in the pocket, if Torres had gone for nearer £30m (which I think was closer his real valuation) then Carroll couldn't possibly have been £35m.
Market gone mad IMO !

Grizzly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 11 Aug 2011, 2:16 pm

Liverpool get some of the money they overpaid for Carroll on being able to underpay for Enrique. Both of them for £40m sounds like a good deal for Newcastle and fair deal for Liverpool.

I think improving the defence is key this summer and adding a midfielder that can battle it in the midfield, or orchestrate attacking moves from the middle is very important as well for Arsenal.

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Thu 11 Aug 2011, 5:57 pm

If both of these go (and I hope to hell that we don't loose Nasri), then it could be interesting if Wenger goes for Parker and then looks to play Ramsey/Wilshire in the play maker role. Or goes 2 upfront and buys another striker.

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Thu 11 Aug 2011, 10:50 pm

Come on Arsenal fans. When your two star players go, do you really think Wenger will buy anyone? It's not his style. He'll be snapping up the 3 year old Dutch kid and then claim he needs 20 years to develop. I fear for Arsenal this season if Wenger doesn't buy anyone. You'll be struggling to get in the Europa League.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Fri 12 Aug 2011, 9:26 am

He'll need to act soon and sign stars. I know it isn't his style, but he comes across as a stubborn captain intent on going down with his ship. He seems unable to muster the strength to sign anyone that could be considered 'world class'.

They need two midfielders and another forward for me, but who knows what plan B entails.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by AberdeenSteve Fri 12 Aug 2011, 10:25 am

Good luck to Fabregas actually getting into the Barcelona team.

If Wenger doesn't replace Nasri and Fabregas with similar calibre of players then it could be a long season ahead for Arsenal fans.

AberdeenSteve

Back to top Go down

Post by GG Fri 12 Aug 2011, 1:07 pm

Sad

GG

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down