The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fiji v Tonga- Teams

+3
greybeard
Notch
MBTGOG
7 posters

Go down

Fiji v Tonga- Teams Empty Fiji v Tonga- Teams

Post by MBTGOG Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:47 pm

1. Campese Maafu, 2. Sunia Koto, 3. Deacon Manu (capt), 4. Rupeni Nasiga, 5. Wame Lewaravu, 6. Dominiko Waqaniburotu, 7. Malakai Ravulo, 8. Sisa Koyamaibole, 9. Vitori Buatava, 10. Waisea Luveniyali, 11. Adriu Delai, 12. Seremaia Bai (v-capt), 13. Albert Vulivuli, 14. Vereniki Goneva, 15. Kini Murimurivalu, Reserves - 16. Viliame Veikoso, 17. Waisea Daveta, 18. Jovilisi Domolailai, 19. Masi Matadigo, 20. Waisale Vatuvoka, 21. Ravai Fatiaki, 22. Iliesa Keresoni.

1 'Alisona Taumalolo
2 'Aleki Lutui (Captain)
3 Halani Aulika
4 Tukulua Lokotui
5 Paino Hehea
6 Sione Kalamafoni
7 Sione Vaiomo'unga
8 Viliami Ma'afu
9 Taniela Moa
10 Samisoni Fisilau
11 Fetu'u Vainikolo
12 Andrew Ma'ilei
13 Sukanaivalu Hufanga
14 William Helu
15 Viliame 'Iongi.

Reserves

16 Ephraim Taukafa
17 Tonga Lea'aetoa
18 Sione Timani
19 Samiu Vahafolau
20 Tomasi Palu
21 Siale Piutau
22 Vungakoto Lilo

Last edited by MBTGOG on Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:09 pm; edited 2 times in total

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Fiji v Tonga- Teams Empty Re: Fiji v Tonga- Teams

Post by Notch Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:58 pm

How are Fiji doing in terms of getting all their players together from clubs and so on?

There are a few of their bigger names there I see but it's fairly weakened no?

When is the Tonga side announced?
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:02 pm

Got it. Will edit it into the original article.

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:06 pm

For Fiji, Jone Qovu, Josh Matavesi, Sereli Naqelevuki and Caucau have turned down call ups. Jerry Yanyunatawa, a prop for the Brumbies also turned down the opportunity and Henry Speight.

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:07 pm

Ah, the Connacht man will join up with them after the World Cup. I'll be interested to see how he goes for them. Is Iongi the fullback the guy who was in such good form during the Churchill Cup on the wing?
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:08 pm

MBTGOG wrote:For Fiji, Jone Qovu, Josh Matavesi, Sereli Naqelevuki and Caucau have turned down call ups. Jerry Yanyunatawa, a prop for the Brumbies also turned down the opportunity and Henry Speight.

That is a shame. Surprised no Nagusa, after a pretty decent season with Montpellier. I was hoping he'd make the grade for them.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by greybeard Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:09 pm

MBTGOG wrote:For Fiji, Jone Qovu, Josh Matavesi, Sereli Naqelevuki and Caucau have turned down call ups. Jerry Yanyunatawa, a prop for the Brumbies also turned down the opportunity and Henry Speight.

That's really sad to read. Fiji would be a really tough proposition if they could get everyone to accept call ups.

greybeard

Back to top Go down

Post by screamingaddabs Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:10 pm

Turned down the opportunity? Why?

Are the Army/Navy linked guys playing? My knowledge of Fijian rugby is limited so I don't know who the forces linked players are.
screamingaddabs
screamingaddabs

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:11 pm

Notch wrote:

That is a shame. Surprised no Nagusa, after a pretty decent season with Montpellier. I was hoping he'd make the grade for them.

Still in the reckoning Notch, just not in this squad. They still have to shave 5 from their squad for the world cup. Back three is a very competitive area even without the players who pulled out.

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:12 pm

True that. They've never struggled for wingers! And I think Goneva certainly did a lot better for them when I watched them earlier in the summer.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:13 pm

screamingaddabs wrote:

Turned down the opportunity? Why?

Are the Army/Navy linked guys playing? My knowledge of Fijian rugby is limited so I don't know who the forces linked players are.

Matavesi said to focus on his club career, Qovu has a child on the way. I'm guessing the ARU had a say in why Yanyunatawa and Speight didn't accept the call up.

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:16 pm

The Tongan team is very interesting. Fisilau is a scrum half by trade but it seems that with little depth behind Morath, Maka is looking for possible back ups.

Iongi has stormed into the reckoning and given their options on the wing, full back could be the position he has during the World Cup.

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by screamingaddabs Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:18 pm

To me, one of those reasons is acceptable (new kid is obviously the most important thing in a father's life). "Focus on his club career"? Over playing in a world cup? I realise for some players this is the most they will ever expect to get paid and careers are short but I find it astounding anyone would give up the chance to play in a world cup.

It's also disappointing the ARU won't release players. Their club season is over now isn't it? Are the Aussies hoping to convince them to play for Australia?
screamingaddabs
screamingaddabs

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:24 pm

It's also disappointing the ARU won't release players.

They might make it unofficially known that contracts will only be handed out to non-international players. Which is highly unethical and I don't see why they would need to. The next Super 15 is someway off. No Union or club can withold a player from internationall duty during an international window.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:38 pm

They do incentivise players to stay with their club. It's not an issue with big test nations, but when your alternative is to go back to a relatively poor country like Fiji if your contract overseas isn't renewed its a difficult choice.

They want to make a good life for themselves and provide for their families. Getting a good waged job playing rugby in Australia, France or England can provide your family with opportunities they wouldn't have at home.

So nearly blackmail. And not an easy problem for the IRB to solve, even if the will is there. I'm not sure it is.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:08 pm

Munsty

My knowledge of some of these players is not great, but I presume from looking at the teams that Fiji will start as favourites in this one?
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:06 pm

Maybe Pete, but there last meeting did end up in a 45-21 loss for Fiji. It depends on how the halves work for Tonga for me personally.

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:48 pm

Is Campese Maafu the one whose brother plays for Australia? I'm sure I saw them pack down against each other last summer or am dreaming that???
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:57 pm

LDCPete wrote:Is Campese Maafu the one whose brother plays for Australia? I'm sure I saw them pack down against each other last summer or am dreaming that???

That's right. Really interesting watching that. Must have been a proud mum in the crowd somewhere.

I do think Tonga will dominate the scrum in this match though.

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:49 pm

For all the fuss made about Fiji players not going to the world cup, the ones who aren't going are easily replaceable. Personally I think it's an issue with Fiji itself, because Tonga and Samoa aren't having these issues.
You can say what you want about Caucau but he was tricked into playing for Fiji so to say he's Fijian is unfair really.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:54 pm

AlynDavies wrote:For all the fuss made about Fiji players not going to the world cup, the ones who aren't going are easily replaceable. Personally I think it's an issue with Fiji itself, because Tonga and Samoa aren't having these issues.
You can say what you want about Caucau but he was tricked into playing for Fiji so to say he's Fijian is unfair really.

Are you mistaking Caucau for Nacewa? Caucau is certainly Fijian. Grew up there and moved to New Zealand to play I think when he was around 20 or so, so he's definitely Fijian.

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:55 pm

When was Caucau tricked into playing for Fiji? I know that Nacewa has said that he was, but hadn't heard that Caucau was as well.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:29 pm

Looking at Fiji in the Pacific Nations Cup and especially against New Zealand, I wouldn't be very happy to be a Fiji fan right now. Their confidence looks shot to pieces, and their set piece abysmal.
They look a poor side at the moment.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:49 pm

I know people might not agree with me but I thought Fiji showed a lot of promise against New Zealand and showed in that game they could still be pushing for that second spot in Group D. They let in some easy scores but who doesn't in New Zealand.

The match schedule suits them in the World Cup as they have always been a team that have taken their time to build up momentum. With Namibia up first, even struggling, you'd still think they'd win that game. South Africa next, they are unlikely to win but it's a game where they can build towards the next one, which is the big one against Samoa, then it's Wales last.

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:12 am

http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,3551_7098060,00.html

Fiji 27-12 Tonga

Villiami Iongi got both of Tongas tries in defeat. He is on fire at the moment! I really hope he's one of those unheralded players who flies under the radar and lights up the World Cup group stages- the way Ngwenya made a name for himself for the USA when he finished off that great try against the Boks etc.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:54 am

He's a very exciting player alright. Could be quite sought after post World Cup.

Good win for Fiji.

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down