The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Skys english Bias

+31
ruggerbyplayer
LondonWelsh99
LordDowlais
XR
nathan
Cymroglan
dummy_switch_pop
Totallybiasedscarlet
ML
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
geoff998rugby
Liam
Trevor Brennan Rugby Tour
englandglory4ever
english warrior
munkian
mckay1402
Turkster
Super D Boon
cabbagesandbrussels
Luckless Pedestrian
HammerofThunor
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
beshocked
welshy824
nottins
nottins_jones
Coleman
RubyGuby
Shifty
welsh-matfield
35 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Skys english Bias - Page 2 Empty Skys english Bias

Post by welsh-matfield Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:39 pm

First topic message reminder :

Dont get me wrong i can understand Sky is a fee paying terrestrial network with probably 10 times the amount of customers in england than in wales but covering the commentators box with english roses is kinda step to far!!!! i mean come on, really?.

welsh-matfield

Back to top Go down

Skys english Bias - Page 2 Empty Re: Skys english Bias

Post by Trevor Brennan Rugby Tour Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:43 am

Here's a question why should SKY be objective? Its not like BBC who are a public company.

http://www.trevorbrennanrugbytours.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:44 am

luckless_pedestrian wrote:Erm, Wales is still a principality.

thumbsup Fair enough but its a Principality with a good defense thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:50 am

Well according to wikipedia we're a country, and we all know how correct wikipedia is, so there we go. End of, Fact and all of that Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:07 am

Brennan - I'm not interested in Objectivity, it would just be nice to discuss Wales without Quinnell having to intervene after 5 minutes with the suggestion of "shall we mention Wales" thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:13 pm

RubyGuby wrote:Brennan - I'm not interested in Objectivity, it would just be nice to discuss Wales without Quinnell having to intervene after 5 minutes with the suggestion of "shall we mention Wales" thumbsup

Tough

Regarding Wales itself, I thought it stopped being a Principality in 1999. No idea why I think that.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:24 pm

englandglory4ever wrote:English bias. Wow. I had to listen to the match while driving and could only find BBC Radio Wales. The commentators were Phil Bennett, I think, and someone he kept calling Garr. Now if you really want to hear bias in spades then you should try and get a copy of the radio programme.

Well what do you expect when it's bbc radio WALES. seriously? that really is stupidity there, surely 5 live would have been a better option then?. Sky has always had an English bias anyone who isn't english can see that. With the likes of stuart barnes, dewi "I'm not welsh honest" morris wearing his rose tinted glasses it's a constant bias view on what a wonderful team England are, when all the majority of BRITISH people want is a 50/50 call, half the build up on England, half the build up on wales, half analysis on england, half on wales, it's not rocket science.

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:35 pm

martyr_94 wrote:
englandglory4ever wrote:English bias. Wow. I had to listen to the match while driving and could only find BBC Radio Wales. The commentators were Phil Bennett, I think, and someone he kept calling Garr. Now if you really want to hear bias in spades then you should try and get a copy of the radio programme.

Well what do you expect when it's bbc radio WALES. seriously? that really is stupidity there, surely 5 live would have been a better option then?. Sky has always had an English bias anyone who isn't english can see that. With the likes of stuart barnes, dewi "I'm not welsh honest" morris wearing his rose tinted glasses it's a constant bias view on what a wonderful team England are, when all the majority of BRITISH people want is a 50/50 call, half the build up on England, half the build up on wales, half analysis on england, half on wales, it's not rocket science.

Do you watch it often then? They spend more time slagging England off than praising them. They spend more time slating individual players than praising others.

The Sky sport rugby programmes are primarily aimed at English rugby fans (not all rugby viewers are English but most are). Rugby programmes in wales are primarily aimed at Welsh rugby fans (not all rugby viewers in Wales are Welsh but most are).

given that most of what they talk about is tosh why would anyone be interested in what they have to say anyway? The only interesting bits are the interveiws and they're generally accross the board.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:40 pm

luckless_pedestrian wrote:Erm, Wales is still a principality.

Ok, so England got beaten by a small principality rather than a small country, thats sound's a lot better laughing
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:55 pm

The bias on Welsh TV is brilliant - it is so so bias it is funny.

Puts the English to shame by some margin.

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:22 pm

HammerofThunor wrote:
martyr_94 wrote:

Do you watch it often then? They spend more time slagging England off than praising them. They spend more time slating individual players than praising others.

The Sky sport rugby programmes are primarily aimed at English rugby fans (not all rugby viewers are English but most are). Rugby programmes in wales are primarily aimed at Welsh rugby fans (not all rugby viewers in Wales are Welsh but most are).

given that most of what they talk about is tosh why would anyone be interested in what they have to say anyway? The only interesting bits are the interveiws and they're generally accross the board.

I do watch it often considering i live in Wales and watch scrum v everytime it's on and yes it is biased being on WELSH TV and the point of it to review welsh teams. Sky however, is British (BSkyB) therefore should provide a balanced view on things. The rugby club I have no rpoblem with because that is the english version of scrum V almost, however during internationals and heiniken cup games there is no question of english bias, such as the tigers-ospery's game where the tigers were being stuffed and you could hear a pin drop in the commentary gantry and in the studio, but my word the decibells rise when any sort of english onslaught came from the world class Billy Twelvetrees came into the game, where is he now by the way?

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:24 pm

martyr_94 wrote:
HammerofThunor wrote:
martyr_94 wrote:

I do watch it often considering i live in Wales and watch scrum v everytime it's on and yes it is biased being on WELSH TV and the point of it to review welsh teams. Sky however, is British (BSkyB) therefore should provide a balanced view on things. The rugby club I have no rpoblem with because that is the english version of scrum V almost, however during internationals and heiniken cup games there is no question of english bias, such as the tigers-ospery's game where the tigers were being stuffed and you could hear a pin drop in the commentary gantry and in the studio, but my word the decibells rise when any sort of english onslaught came from the world class Billy Twelvetrees came into the game, where is he now by the way?

Still being hyped up by the welsh on the internet when they are busy adjusting the chips on their shoulders.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:44 pm

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:
martyr_94 wrote:
HammerofThunor wrote:
martyr_94 wrote:

Still being hyped up by the welsh on the internet when they are busy adjusting the chips on their shoulders.

halted you it seems with my last message Cool just seems like sour grapes to me that an over hyped england side couldn't break down a fantastic welsh defence and were indeed lucky to beat wales at hq without wilko, so i hope you recover from yet another stuffing in Ireland and let's hope the "could they reach a third world cup final" are well and firmly squashed. and before you say, no i don't think wales have a chance at the world cup.

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by english warrior Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:04 pm

Wales is a 'principality' for the simple reason that it has a Prince, i.e Prince charles as its head of state. Ergo, Wales IS, irepeat IS a 'Principality' and therefore not a nation. Simple really, if you have a bit of the old Grey matter! steam

english warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:57 pm

martyr_94 wrote:
martyr_94 wrote:
HammerofThunor wrote:
martyr_94 wrote:

halted you it seems with my last message Cool just seems like sour grapes to me that an over hyped england side couldn't break down a fantastic welsh defence and were indeed lucky to beat wales at hq without wilko, so i hope you recover from yet another stuffing in Ireland and let's hope the "could they reach a third world cup final" are well and firmly squashed. and before you say, no i don't think wales have a chance at the world cup.

Halted me?
Its the first time posted on ths thread, so I thought Id go in with a response as stupid and banal as the rest of this drivel.
You just happened to b the eperson that posted ahead of me so I responded to the last sentance of what you wrote, the only bit I bothered to read.

Im not sure if that means you won at the internet or not

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by ML Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:39 pm

SafeAsMilk wrote:
It's impossible to be TOO English Wink
laughing

Fortunately that is a sentiment shared amongst some of the English and almost nobody else on the entire planet!

ML

Back to top Go down

Post by ML Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:43 pm

english warrior wrote:Wales is a 'principality' for the simple reason that it has a Prince, i.e Prince charles as its head of state. Ergo, Wales IS, irepeat IS a 'Principality' and therefore not a nation. Simple really, if you have a bit of the old Grey matter! steam

A bit of the "old Grey matter"?

You are obviously short of it yourself! Prince Charles is NOT "head of state" - no Prince of Wales ever has been. Our "head of state" as you put it, is the same as yours.

Here is a thought for the day for you:

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt." Abraham Lincoln

ML

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:55 pm

Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life
Cecil Rhodes

Where's the tongue-in-cheek emoticon when you need it? Laugh

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:58 pm

martyr_94 wrote:
HammerofThunor wrote:
martyr_94 wrote:

Actually BSkyB is a commercial company and they can do what they want. If you don't like it don't subscribe. Not hard

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:00 pm

martyr_94 wrote:
martyr_94 wrote:
HammerofThunor wrote:
martyr_94 wrote:

Halted me?
Its the first time posted on ths thread, so I thought Id go in with a response as stupid and banal as the rest of this drivel.
You just happened to b the eperson that posted ahead of me so I responded to the last sentance of what you wrote, the only bit I bothered to read.

Im not sure if that means you won at the internet or not

sorry,

didn't realise I should have read it first and i'm happy to hold my hands up. I've read so many of these threads like these u just go with the flow.

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by Totallybiasedscarlet Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:31 pm

Prince of Wales is an English title given by an english monarch. Wales was illegally subjugated at the command of a dodgy aristocrat of french-norman descent who had our true royals butchered in his conquest.

Just like his ancestor butchered the english monarchy some 200 years previously.

However it never fails to make me laugh when I remember that the indigenous Welsh and English are genetically identical. The english are just brits who have forgotten how to speak british laughing

Also does anyone remember Quinell putting Morris in his place?

Morris: "It's pronounced Daoie Scott."

Quinnell: "No. It's pronounced Dewi, Dewi."

I laughed my shinny metal donkey off!!!! Yahoo
Totallybiasedscarlet
Totallybiasedscarlet

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_switch_pop Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:06 pm

Couldn't help but love the Quinnell-Greenwood pre-match interviews.

Greenwood is probably the best pundit around and Quinells passion and hand movement just gets you so excited you want to put on a shirt and run on the field yourself.

dummy_switch_pop

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:10 pm

dummy_switch_pop wrote:Couldn't help but love the Quinnell-Greenwood pre-match interviews.

Greenwood is probably the best pundit around and Quinells passion and hand movement just gets you so excited you want to put on a shirt and run on the field yourself.

And for that very reason I would love to see Scott involved with the Welsh squad he certainly would motivate them.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:40 pm

Have to agree with the Greenwood/Quinnell comments. Two likeable, knowledgeable, enthusiastic blokes.

Also, two of my favourite players ever and respected by both sets of fans, so ideal for the Wales/England games. Or any games come to think of it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:48 pm

SafeAsMilk wrote:Have to agree with the Greenwood/Quinnell comments. Two likeable, knowledgeable, enthusiastic blokes.

Also, two of my favourite players ever and respected by both sets of fans, so ideal for the Wales/England games. Or any games come to think of it.

+1

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:10 am

welshy824 wrote:it was incredibly biased (going back on topic) i found it funny that the english front row were being applauded for basically illegally pushing while the commentators criticised wales for collapsing due to the illegal pushing, but i was glad i just got to see the match- i would have settled for desmond tutu giving commentary (actually saying that, it would incredibly fun to listen to)

it's only illegal pushing if the ref says so and the ref didnt so raspberry

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by XR Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:14 am

yeah, greenwood & quinnell not only know what they're talking about but it's their enthusiasm they show for the game. Not the depressed, miopic stuart barnes where if there isn't 45 tries in a game then it's 'dour'.

XR

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:14 am

Scott Quinell and Will Greenwood, have actually achieved things in their respective career's and were arguably the best players in their respective positions in world rugby, if not defo the best in the NH at the height of there career's, so for me they will always command respect. Add to this I have actually met Scott Quinell whilst out shopping and he was very polite and respectful and took ten minutes of his own time to talk and have pictures taken. Also, although I have never met Will Greenwood, he always comes across as a very well mannered individual and like the true greats never harps on about how "HE" did things when he was playing. They are both very knowledgeable about rugby and I have never here'd any of them put another side/player down in their post/pre match analysis on sky. There are however a lot of other commentators/pundits who I have no time for what so ever because they always think they know better than the coaches but if you asked them would never go anywhere near a coaching role if they were asked. Just to add I also think Sean Fitzpatrick can be put in the same bracket as the two aforementioned pundits on this post.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by englandglory4ever Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:39 pm

martyr_94 wrote:

Sorry mate but you miss the point. The BBC run programmes both on TV and Radio for all the UK constituent parts except specifically for England. You think its absolutely fine for BBC Wales to demonstrate extreme bias towards Wales but no doubt would moan if the 'BBC' show any bias whatsoever how small towards England. The BSkyB programming is irrelevant as they are a private company and can do what the hell they like. Its a free world out there still, I think? You can switch off or cancel your subs if you want. I'm sure you won't be missed.

englandglory4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:49 pm

Regional variations for BBC One

Cambridgeshire
Channel Islands
East
East Midlands
HD
London
North East & Cumbria
North West
Northern Ireland
Oxfordshire
Scotland
South
South East
South West
Wales
West
West Midlands
Yorks & Lincs
Yorkshire

englandglory4ever As you see from the above list there are numerous regional variations that are even at county level in England so I don't see how you could think you are missing out.
BSkyB should stick to covering premiership games they do that well but when it comes to internationals they really don't have a clue.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by englandglory4ever Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:35 am

Cymroglan, I live in the South East and I can assure you that BBC SE does not transmit any rugby programmes whatsoever. You should stick with BBC Wales if you want to hear blatant welsh bias all the time.

englandglory4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:41 am

The fact that your region does not broadcast rugby is their choice but it would be great if they did.
BBC being bias within it's own region is not a problem it's to be expected,
But sky is not regional it covers all of the UK.
As I said before Sky do not have a clue how to cover international rugby.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by nottins Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:46 am

Sky is a private company. They can broadcast whatever and however they want to. If you don't like the product, then don't watch it.

nottins

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:51 am

I pay for a Sky subscription so I'm fully entitled to have a opinion about it.
As I said before Sky are fine with covering domestic games but are useless at covering internationals.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:54 am

If you don't like what Sky broadcast, don't subscribe. As others have said they have no responsibility provide equal coverage. They are interested in their largest market and will aim chiefly at that.

It's simple economics folks.

Cyrmo, of course you are allowed an opinion and you can cancel your subscription if you think it's a poor deal.

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:55 am

'If you don't like it don't watch it' is a throw away response.

It's the same as if you don't like our country go elsewhere that Daily Mail readers trot out Rolling Eyes
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:58 am

munkian wrote:'If you don't like it don't watch it' is a throw away response.
Send a petition to Sky then. Or just grumble about it on here Laugh

munkian wrote:It's the same as if you don't like our country go elsewhere that Daily Mail readers trot out Rolling Eyes
Riiiiiight. Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:01 pm

I just think its a shame England went with Sky in the first place, I much rather the BBC pundits.
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by nottins Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:03 pm

munkian wrote:'If you don't like it don't watch it' is a throw away response.

It's the same as if you don't like our country go elsewhere that Daily Mail readers trot out Rolling Eyes

🤦

I used to have a subscription to several magazines. After a few years I didn't like the content any more so I cancelled the subscriptions. I'm not quite sure how that has got to do with Daily Mail readers Rolling Eyes

nottins

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:04 pm

But are you as a rugby fan happy with the coverage?do you not want the studio pundits to talk about the opposition.
You know about your own side are you not interested in the panel talking about the opposition.
That goes for BBC Wales also I'm a rugby fan that's interested in the game I don't want to know what George North had for breakfast I want rugby facts about both sides.
Telling people to cancel their subscription is a poor response what we need is a better coverage of the sport we all love and we need to let them know thats what we want..
They need to stop thinking that rugby fans are stupid.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by nottins Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:07 pm

As has been said before:

As others have said they have no responsibility provide equal coverage. They are interested in their largest market and will aim chiefly at that.

It's simple economics folks.

nottins

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:39 pm

Totallybiasedscarlet wrote:Prince of Wales is an English title given by an english monarch. Wales was illegally subjugated at the command of a dodgy aristocrat of french-norman descent who had our true royals butchered in his conquest.

I'm not 100% sure, but as far as my history goes Wales basically merged into England in Laws in the Wales Acts 1535 and 1542. Henry VIII of England, who came from the Welsh Tudor dynasty, His dad King Henry VII was born in Pembroke, Wales.
The English actually did the Welsh people a big favour because it gave Welsh peasants the same right as the English had in law and made us citizens.
The problem was Wales was basically supposed to not exist anymore, and we were to become English, but the Welsh wanted to stay Welsh.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonWelsh99 Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:20 pm

I don't think it's that bad. Dewi Moris is Welsh and Stuart Barnes learnt his trade in Newport! They can't get over the fact that since 03 England have declined. Wales is recognised as a country due to the Welsh Language Act of 1967 which basicaly overided the act of 1545. (I agree with above before the 16th century the Welsh had no rights and were either serfs of the crown, or the remaint of the Norman barons in the "Marches" of Wales. )

As this is act only applies to Wales it means that Wales is recognised by parliment as a seperate country to England.

LondonWelsh99

Back to top Go down

Post by ruggerbyplayer Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:45 pm

I'm just glad the Ireland vs. England match is on Sky Sports. The BBC almost outdo RTE with their abysmal coverage of rugby. Hopefully the 6 Nations will be given to Sky in the very, very near future.

From fuzzy camera shots to Guscott's miserable drawling, from Inverdale's incessant awkwardness to Moore's perpetual grumpiness and from rampant tokenism (i.e. Sonja Mclaughlan) to gratuitous updates of the Royal Family (the horse, the hooray henry racist et al.), I am sick of the Six Nations coverage on the BBC.

Rant over.

ruggerbyplayer

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:04 pm

Dewi seems to have forgotten he is Welsh. Quinell actually had to tell him how to pronounce his own name after a match laughing
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:30 pm

I don't care we won end of,
suck on that Barnes and co,
if England lose to Ireland on Saturday they go into they world cup ranked 7th maybe 8th just above Scotland at 7th or as the lowest ranked home nation at 8th so i think they need every bit of bias they can get kiss

Back to top Go down

Post by nottins Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:51 pm

England cannot go into the RWC ranked 8th in the IRB rankings. If they lose by 1-15 points, they will stay in 5th place.

nottins

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:32 pm

englandglory4ever wrote:Cymroglan, I live in the South East and I can assure you that BBC SE does not transmit any rugby programmes whatsoever. You should stick with BBC Wales if you want to hear blatant welsh bias all the time.
Bias or balance?I too live in SE England and long for any Rugby coverage.Radio5live are as bad if not worse than Sky with their Anglo-centric slant.Shameful.

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:54 pm

WOW nottins can i have what you are smoking please, so England won't lose points in an international game. Erm

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:58 pm

If Ireland beat England then England will drop below Wales. At the moment its:

5 England
6 Wales
7 Ireland

an Irish win will see Eng amd Ire swap places with Wales staying in 6th thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by nottins Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:59 pm

viewtothegym wrote:WOW nottins can i have what you are smoking please, so England won't lose points in an international game. Erm

Not smoking anything. Reread what I typed and please point out where I said, "England won't lose points in an international game."

nottins

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next