The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

McGeechan qualifying for Scotland

+6
fa0019
screamingaddabs
nottins_jones
funnyExiledScot
Cymroglan
tomathy
10 posters

Go down

McGeechan qualifying for Scotland Empty McGeechan qualifying for Scotland

Post by tomathy Sun 14 Aug 2011, 6:35 pm

Not trying a wind-up here or anything. Just genuinely wondering - since McGeechan was born in Yorkshire and has a Yorkshire accent - does anyone know what his Scottish connection is? Does he have Scottish parents or did he live there for a while? Wikipedia makes no mention.
tomathy
tomathy

Back to top Go down

McGeechan qualifying for Scotland Empty Re: McGeechan qualifying for Scotland

Post by Cymroglan Sun 14 Aug 2011, 6:42 pm

And McGeechan is a solid Yorkshire name. Very Happy

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Sun 14 Aug 2011, 8:10 pm

His father was Scottish, thus the Scottish name.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by nottins_jones Sun 14 Aug 2011, 8:36 pm

It's an Irish name. Very Happy
nottins_jones
nottins_jones

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 15 Aug 2011, 11:23 am

Well let's agree that its a celtic name.....

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by screamingaddabs Mon 15 Aug 2011, 3:30 pm

According to a book I read about the 1990 England Scotland game McGeechan's dad was an incredibly passionate Scotsman. Basically there was no way that Ian was playing for anyone other than Scotland if his dad had anything to do with it and obviously after playing he then went into coaching.
screamingaddabs
screamingaddabs

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 15 Aug 2011, 3:34 pm

His Dad was from Govan and a big Glasgow Rangers fan. Actually I don't think his Dad ever saw him play for Scotland, I think he passed away whilst Sir Ian was having his initial trials, but I suspect there formed a pretty emotional connection to Scotland at that stage which he couldn't turn away from, despite having been born and raised in Yorkshire.

I'm Scottish (although my wife is English) and live in London. If ever a child of mine even came close to being good enough to play international sport, it would be made abundantly clear by his father that selecting England was not an option.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Mon 15 Aug 2011, 3:39 pm

Doesn't really matter though.. on the fact he was a starting centre for the lions 74 series victory in SA he could have walked into the England squad.

If he did so because it was easier to get test honours it may have been different but its clearly not the reason.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Mon 15 Aug 2011, 3:42 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:I'm Scottish (although my wife is English) and live in London. If ever a child of mine even came close to being good enough to play international sport, it would be made abundantly clear by his father that selecting England was not an option.

Well that's nice isn't it.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by tomathy Mon 15 Aug 2011, 3:42 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:I'm Scottish (although my wife is English) and live in London. If ever a child of mine even came close to being good enough to play international sport, it would be made abundantly clear by his father that selecting England was not an option.

are you serious?
tomathy
tomathy

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 15 Aug 2011, 4:02 pm

Of course I'm not being serious! I can't pretend though that I'd wouldn't prefer him/her to represent Scotland, as I'm sure was the case with Geech.

I assure you though that this is a very hypothetical scenario. I have a very limited knowledge of genetics, but given I never went further than 3rd XV rugby at school and my wife struggles to connect raquet and ball when playing tennis, I'd suggest that it isn't a decision our children will have to make - unless England are still scratching around for a 12 at that stage.....

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by PenfroPete Mon 15 Aug 2011, 4:04 pm

FunnyExiledScot – reminds me of my friend from Swansea. Swansea City had made the final of the Auto-Windscreens Leyland-Daf Mickey Mouse Donald Duck Trophy Cup Shield at Wembley in 1994. They were debating how to get up to London when his wife (also Welsh), 7 months pregnant at the time, pipes up that she’ll drive and the lads van have a few beers. My mate quickly slaps her down (figuratively speaking) stating that he is not taking any chance that his son (they already knew the gender of the baby) would be born “over there”

Last edited by PenfroPete on Mon 15 Aug 2011, 4:06 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Crazy fonts today !!!)
PenfroPete
PenfroPete

Back to top Go down

Post by tomathy Mon 15 Aug 2011, 4:09 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:Of course I'm not being serious! I can't pretend though that I'd wouldn't prefer him/her to represent Scotland, as I'm sure was the case with Geech.

I assure you though that this is a very hypothetical scenario. I have a very limited knowledge of genetics, but given I never went further than 3rd XV rugby at school and my wife struggles to connect raquet and ball when playing tennis, I'd suggest that it isn't a decision our children will have to make - unless England are still scratching around for a 12 at that stage.....

not unlikely
tomathy
tomathy

Back to top Go down

Post by PenfroPete Mon 15 Aug 2011, 4:09 pm

FunnyExiledScot – reminds me of my friend from Swansea. Swansea City had made the final of the Auto-Windscreens Leyland-Daf Mickey Mouse Donald Duck Trophy Cup Shield at Wembley in 1994. They were debating how to get up to London when his wife (also Welsh), 7 months pregnant at the time, pipes up that she’ll drive and the lads can have a few beers. My mate quickly slaps her down (figuratively speaking) stating that he is not taking any chance that his son (they already knew the gender of the baby) would be born “over there”
PenfroPete
PenfroPete

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 15 Aug 2011, 4:27 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:I assure you though that this is a very hypothetical scenario. I have a very limited knowledge of genetics, but given I never went further than 3rd XV rugby at school and my wife struggles to connect raquet and ball when playing tennis, I'd suggest that it isn't a decision our children will have to make - unless England are still scratching around for a 12 at that stage.....

Well I'm no expert in genetics either but by the sounds of that your offspring could probably do at least as well as Shontayne Hape.... Whistle
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Mon 15 Aug 2011, 4:57 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:His Dad was from Govan and a big Glasgow Rangers fan. Actually I don't think his Dad ever saw him play for Scotland, I think he passed away whilst Sir Ian was having his initial trials, but I suspect there formed a pretty emotional connection to Scotland at that stage which he couldn't turn away from, despite having been born and raised in Yorkshire.

I'm Scottish (although my wife is English) and live in London. If ever a child of mine even came close to being good enough to play international sport, it would be made abundantly clear by his father that selecting England was not an option.

+1 (x3)

Laugh

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Mon 15 Aug 2011, 5:11 pm

roddersm wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:I assure you though that this is a very hypothetical scenario. I have a very limited knowledge of genetics, but given I never went further than 3rd XV rugby at school and my wife struggles to connect raquet and ball when playing tennis, I'd suggest that it isn't a decision our children will have to make - unless England are still scratching around for a 12 at that stage.....

Well I'm no expert in genetics either but by the sounds of that your offspring could probably do at least as well as Shontayne Hape.... Whistle

At least

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down