The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Help me.........

+5
super_realist
McLaren
drive4show
navyblueshorts
tarka
9 posters

Go down

Help me......... Empty Help me.........

Post by tarka Mon 15 Aug 2011, 9:54 pm

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewitem?itemId=180710589769&index=13&nav=SEARCH&nid=21029596102

Want these clubs and bag and I am in negotiations to buy them, what is a fair price to pay?

Please don't bid against me, I will find out! But please tell me if I am missing the point, would really appreciate it

I will be retro-fitted afterwards

tarka

Back to top Go down

Help me......... Empty Re: Help me.........

Post by navyblueshorts Mon 15 Aug 2011, 10:18 pm

Depends what you want to risk and to spend. If you're retro fitted and they recommend >£150 in new shafts etc, is that OK? Can you find someone who'll retro fit you if you turn up with these irons which you haven't bought from them?

Personally, I wouldn't bite without a lot of checks being ticked off. The seller has zero feedback. Can you pick them up in person and pay on collection? What proof do you have that they're genuine? Serial #s? Is it worth you spending big on some boutique irons with cachet? You could probably get some custom Mizuno MP-53s for less than you'll end up paying here.

Finally, Honma Beres are used by a lot of Chinese businessmen who can't hit it further than the ladies tee(!) so I wouldn't be keen on the bag but I guess you can re-sell that if you wanted.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Mon 15 Aug 2011, 10:30 pm

To be honest, I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole. As Navy says, you are paying a lot of money for designer clubs that are actually not that great. Do you want good clubs in your bag that will help you play to the best of your abilities or do you want an overpriced designer label?

Save your money, get custom fitted for a set of Titleists, Mizunos, Pings, Callaways or Taylormades and you'll end up playing better golf.

thumbsup

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 15 Aug 2011, 11:19 pm

If you showed them to me I would assume they were howsen's or something from those chav sports stores. Those are one ugly set of clubs.

If I had that money to burn on a set of clubs a custom fitted set of Mizuno's would be going into the bag.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 16 Aug 2011, 7:34 am

Those irons look like they are from 1986. I've got an old set of Wilson mandrella from 1999 that look more modern (and they look rubbish too). I'd avoid these like the plague.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue 16 Aug 2011, 10:54 am

drive4show wrote:...As Navy says, you are paying a lot of money for designer clubs that are actually not that great...

I wouldn't say they aren't great irons; Vega make fantastic clubs but they don't have a big profile. They aren't my style (the VM-01 or VM-02s on the other hand....) but I wouldn't doubt the quality IF they're genuine etc etc etc. I'd get rid of the Honma bag ASAP though.

super_realist wrote:Those irons look like they are from 1986. I've got an old set of Wilson mandrella from 1999 that look more modern (and they look rubbish too). I'd avoid these like the plague.

So, you only go for the tacky modern-looking irons with lots of colours and wizzy bangy things on them? Plenty of modern irons look cack unless you're looking down on them at address and that's the important thing.

McLaren wrote:If you showed them to me I would assume they were howsen's or something from those chav sports stores. Those are one ugly set of clubs.

If I had that money to burn on a set of clubs a custom fitted set of Mizuno's would be going into the bag.

Ah. So it's all pretty pretty looks with questionable function or a big 'name' and hang the function for you then eh Mac? I have some Honma Beres irons for sale if you're interested.... Wink
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by JDandfries Tue 16 Aug 2011, 10:58 am

Rubbish, dont bother

JDandfries

Back to top Go down

Post by tarka Tue 16 Aug 2011, 12:43 pm

I got a bit excited about these irons last night.

I bought a vega wedge before i went on holiday and have to say it is absolutely first class. Shot my best ever round on sunday night (play of 22) and scored 88 on par 71 course, which I was delighted with, considering I started with a 6 and a 7 on the first two holes. Started using the vega 56deg wedge from about 110 yards in or so and I had 5 up and downs from this distance, which is unheard of for me.

I think vega wedge was brilliant so I thought that the irons would be good too, granted I don't think they look particularly great, but the lovely blades they do are waaay out of my league

tarka

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Tue 16 Aug 2011, 1:03 pm

tarka

110 yards with a 56 wedge....how many shredded wheat do you have for breakfast?? Shocked

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by tarka Tue 16 Aug 2011, 1:12 pm

maybe 90 - 110 yards d4s..... got a bit carried away there, but I'll say one thing, I was trying to strike down on the ball, compress it and take a divot afterwards and it was going really high, one bounce and checking. It is a low spinning wedge for players who spin the ball a lot (I don't but the price was right, found this out after) just fing it a hell of a lot easier to use than cleveland wedges I have CG15 and my standard callaway x18r SW

tarka

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Tue 16 Aug 2011, 1:14 pm

drive4show wrote:tarka

110 yards with a 56 wedge....how many shredded wheat do you have for breakfast?? Shocked

Same amount as me by sounds of it. That'd be weetabix though for me not a shreaded wheat fan.

I have the new adams wedges and flat out i'd say my yardage with my 56 is 115. But what I don't see the point in hitting wedges flat out as it increases spin meaning losing a touch of control when the ball lands.

As for the clubs on view, not a fan i'd avoid but personal preference with anything

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Tue 16 Aug 2011, 1:16 pm

The problem that I find with my wedges is the harder I hit them, the higher they go. I seem to have a max distance for each club and nothing makes the ball go any further.

Found the answer though....... take more club Wink

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Tue 16 Aug 2011, 1:17 pm

drive4show wrote:tarka

Drive, how far do you hit a 56 wedge? I hit mine 100 yards, but that is with a slightly choked down swing... full swing would prob be 110 yards, but I prefer a 3/4 PW from that distance.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by tarka Tue 16 Aug 2011, 1:23 pm

I have been hitting a lot of pw 3/4 and even 3/4 7 iron from a bit further out but this approach had let me down the last couple or rounds prior to sunday evening so I thought I would try summink different. I thinned my 50 deg cleveland wedge probably 180 yards so been reluctant to use these wedges!

tarka

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Tue 16 Aug 2011, 1:25 pm

ray

I carry a std MP60 PW and Cleveland 53 and 60 wedges, they go about 115, 100 and 70 yards respectively.

I'm not long but don't don't consider myself to be short either.

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Tue 16 Aug 2011, 1:27 pm

drive4show wrote:The problem that I find with my wedges is the harder I hit them, the higher they go. I seem to have a max distance for each club and nothing makes the ball go any further.

Found the answer though....... take more club Wink

That's due to the harder you hit the more spin you impart, resulting in a higher ball flight, with any sort of wind it's going to hamper you. Best bet is always club up, choke down as you are doing and then you get the results you want.

I've long been an advocate of it's now how far you hit it, it's where you hit it. Doesn't matter if say for example we played I hit a 9 iron and you hit a 7iron, long as the result is what you want it to be. I think in golf get to encapsulated in manhood measuring I can hit a 9iron this far, so what I can hit one this far... Distance is irrelevant results are important Hug

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 16 Aug 2011, 1:31 pm

I have no idea how far my SW(56) could go as I have never hit it more than 75%. Would doubt it would be over 100 yards consistently. I find full on wedges have such an upredictable yardage.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 16 Aug 2011, 1:33 pm

mav

"Distance is irrelevant results are important "

That is something we should all apply to our game. I also hate to sound like the old tradionalists agian but in the early days it was about the shots you hit not the distance you could hit it.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by tarka Tue 16 Aug 2011, 1:34 pm

N.B.
I am not buying the vega irons.
I emailed the guy asking where he got them and if reciepts were able to be provided but he said he was gifted the clubs and bag after leaving his job after 15 years service (bit like that HSBC ad where the younger Japanese lad was presented with a bag and clubs buy the older guy; message: bank with us and retire early, the older lad bought shares in bank of scotland I think so he won't be able to retire untill he is 113)

The bag I think is uber-cool but I believe it is fake as the only places that seem to sell it are these ridiculous websites where ou can get an r11 driver for 125.99, scotty putter for 74.99 etc

got a bad feeling so will pass on these clubs, I just want something different from the masses at the club and the wierder the better

tarka

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Tue 16 Aug 2011, 1:36 pm

McLaren wrote:mav

"Distance is irrelevant results are important "

That is something we should all apply to our game. I also hate to sound like the old tradionalists agian but in the early days it was about the shots you hit not the distance you could hit it.

It's something I was always taught by my old man before I got serious about the game as a youth. The last time I hit a full sandwedge would be about 15 years ago. Never hit any short irons at more than 80% control is more important than power.

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Tue 16 Aug 2011, 1:39 pm

tarka wrote:I just want something different from the masses at the club and the wierder the better

How about these then? Not things of beauty but they do work if you want something a bit different. And for sensible money as well!

http://www.golfbidder.co.uk/models/518/Ping__Iron_Set_ISI_K.html

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by tarka Tue 16 Aug 2011, 1:43 pm

drive4show wrote:
tarka wrote:I just want something different from the masses at the club and the wierder the better

How about these then? Not things of beauty but they do work if you want something a bit different. And for sensible money as well!

http://www.golfbidder.co.uk/models/518/Ping__Iron_Set_ISI_K.html

D4S, no offence mate as I love your posts, but those are the worst clubs I have ever seen. Has the previous owner reversed over them? They make me sick just looking at them

they are probably great

tarka

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Tue 16 Aug 2011, 1:44 pm

D4S

Those are a blast from the past. I remember my old man having a blue spot set of those 2-SW. Used to sit really well behind the ball. Good price too

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Tue 16 Aug 2011, 1:44 pm

well you did say the weirder the better!! Laugh

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Tue 16 Aug 2011, 1:48 pm

tarka

joking aside, I used to have a set of those Pings, they aint things of beauty but they are one of the easiest, most forgiving clubs you'll ever come across. For your handicap you could do a lot worse (sorry, not trying to sound condescending but for higher handicaps they are brilliant)

thumbsup

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Tue 16 Aug 2011, 1:52 pm

Pings are a good club for all levels they've always been a good club for Amateurs to use and the way they develop they always will be

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by tarka Tue 16 Aug 2011, 1:57 pm

Maverick wrote:Pings are a good club for all levels they've always been a good club for Amateurs to use and the way they develop they always will be

mav,
do you mean the irons drvelop, the player develops, or the ping company develops?

side point: Do you remember the Maverick brand chocolate bars, they were disgusting

tarka

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Tue 16 Aug 2011, 2:09 pm

tarka wrote:
Maverick wrote:Pings are a good club for all levels they've always been a good club for Amateurs to use and the way they develop they always will be

mav,
do you mean the irons drvelop, the player develops, or the ping company develops?

side point: Do you remember the Maverick brand chocolate bars, they were disgusting

I mean the manufacturer the brand is developing more and more and always puts out good stuff for all players.

No idea about those choccy bars

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by tarka Tue 16 Aug 2011, 2:11 pm

Maverick wrote:
tarka wrote:

mav,

I mean the manufacturer the brand is developing more and more and always puts out good stuff for all players.

No idea about those choccy bars

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maverick_%28chocolate%29
and as it explicitly states they are NOT biscuits

tarka

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Tue 16 Aug 2011, 2:18 pm

Still don't remember them but sounds like a biscuit

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by tarka Tue 16 Aug 2011, 2:19 pm

Maverick wrote:Still don't remember them but sounds like a biscuit

popular misconception

tarka

Back to top Go down

Post by dr_peeps Tue 16 Aug 2011, 2:22 pm

I don't know another 22 handicap that would be this worried about high spin or indeed the loft of there wedge. seriously if your getting up and down from 100yds that often then the rest of your game must be in bits, no offence i just don't know what else to say. I would have said the higher handicap would be best served using fairly standard equiptment until they are hitting the ball consistently enough for yardages to even matter.

dr_peeps

Back to top Go down

Post by tarka Tue 16 Aug 2011, 2:42 pm

dr_peeps wrote:I don't know another 22 handicap that would be this worried about high spin or indeed the loft of there wedge. seriously if your getting up and down from 100yds that often then the rest of your game must be in bits, no offence i just don't know what else to say. I would have said the higher handicap would be best served using fairly standard equiptment until they are hitting the ball consistently enough for yardages to even matter.

peeps, some days I could beat almost any player in the club and hit any shot in the world, but alas the 22 h/c indicates that I have problems with decision making, complete breakdowns and wild holes. My putting, wedges, driving and iron play have all been brilliant, but never on the same day. played with two pros on Thursday, 31 pts on links course which I was quite pleased about, hitting the ball long and straight, went round with the same ball, OOb only once but it was remarked by my friends that my putting and chipping were a disgrace. I am far too inconcistent but my handicap will come down over time, i am as guilty as any in thinking that fancy clubs are quick fixes

tarka

Back to top Go down

Post by dr_peeps Tue 16 Aug 2011, 3:14 pm

Well good luck Tarka, when you find the answer please let me know haha !! your game sounds a lot like mine actualy. Im currently playing off 8 but can duff it with the best of them, normally due to hangovers & double vision. My golf is a miracle in itself my current clubs total less than £200 including the bag !!, Aberdonian what can i say !!

dr_peeps

Back to top Go down

Post by tarka Tue 16 Aug 2011, 3:22 pm

Fit like ma loon, went to Uni in Aberdeen, you lot are as tight as two shytes in a bottle

tarka

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum