The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RIP Rick Rypien

2 posters

Go down

RIP Rick Rypien Empty RIP Rick Rypien

Post by calamity jane Wed 17 Aug - 0:31

Only three months after the death of Derek Boogaard, comes the news that another NHL enforcer has died at a tragically young age.

This time it's Rick Rypien, formerly of the Vancouver Canucks, but who was to start the new season with the Winnipeg Jets. Only 27 years old and had been battling depression for some time.

He was best known for being a fighter, but this goal is an absolute beauty https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhhOqo-GvZo&feature=related

RIP Ripper

calamity jane

Back to top Go down

RIP Rick Rypien Empty Re: RIP Rick Rypien

Post by HHealer Fri 19 Aug - 17:00

Very sad, Jane.
I know there has been no official word on his death other than the police report of a "sudden and non-suspicious" death but depression can be a terrible affliction and can have a deadly outcome for the person affected if not treated compleatly and properly.
I know both Boogaard and Rypien were in the NHL's 'substance abuse and behavioural health program', but I wonder if this programme extends to the off season? I wonder if players on the programme have someone to call in the off season if they feel the need to, 24 hours a day?
Gary Bettman has said the programme needs to be reviewed, so these questions may be answered, I hope he reviews and makes some positive changes soon.

HHealer

Back to top Go down