The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Indy car protest to be heard

Go down

Indy car protest to be heard  Empty Indy car protest to be heard

Post by Fernando Wed 17 Aug 2011, 7:47 pm

IndyCar has confirmed that it will hear protests next week filed by Newman/Haas and Ganassi following Ryan Hunter-Reay's controversial victory in the Indy 225 at New Hampshire last weekend.

Oriol Servia and Scott Dixon both passed erstwhile leader Hunter-Reay on the final restart of the rain-interrupted event, only for the race to go back immediately back to yellow as several cars lost purchase on the cold and damp surface. It was never restarted.

The result of the race was then declared on the basis of positions held prior to the final restart.

IndyCar, the IndyCar Series' governing body, said in a statement that the hearing will take place at Indianapolis on August 22, after both teams filed an official protest no less than 30 minutes after the race was halted.

"Andretti Autosport has been invited to participate in the hearing because of its #28 car's interest in the outcome of the protests," the statement added.

"In his role as Senior Official and pursuant to Rule 12.4, Brian Barnhart has elected to select individuals to resolve the protest. The individuals will be announced at a later date."

Barnhard said: "Given my role in Race Control, I feel that it is in everyone's best interest to have an independent panel hear the protests. I believe a panel will help maintain a fair hearing."

The under-fire Barnhart, IndyCar's race director, came in for more criticism by teams over the issue and, particularly Penske's Will Power, for allowing the race to go back to green conditions so soon after rain had dampened the track.

source: autosport

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down