The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What will the make up of your Nation's squad look like, and what will be most effective?

+2
Jenifer McLadyboy
dummy_switch_pop
6 posters

Go down

What will the make up of your Nation's squad look like, and what will be most effective? Empty What will the make up of your Nation's squad look like, and what will be most effective?

Post by dummy_switch_pop Wed 17 Aug 2011, 8:49 pm

Iv'e been pondering what Wales' backs-forwards ratio will look like and within that how many of each position.

This Wikipedia article gives details of what everyones squads looked like last time round..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_Rugby_World_Cup_squads

Here is an overview of the Fowards:Backs ration

SA: 17:13 -Winners
FR: 17:13 - Semi-Finalists

ENG 16:14 Finalists
NZ: 16:14 Quarter Finalists

WAL: 16:14 Lost in Group
ARG: 18:12 Semi-Finalists (3rd place)
SCO 17:13 Quarter Finals

It seems to me that a greater number forwards suits better for the demands of a WC. Of the 4 Semi Finalists in 2007, 3 teams had greater than 17 forwards as oppose to 16. Argentina, a massive surprise package (for most) had 18 forwards in their squad. On the other end of the scale, NZ with 16, favourites, failed miserably.

I understand other factors determine on success/failure at WC's, but focusing on Squad breakdown, what would you like to see your team take with them, and how important is it to deal with the physical demands of International Rugby?

dummy_switch_pop

Back to top Go down

What will the make up of your Nation's squad look like, and what will be most effective? Empty Re: What will the make up of your Nation's squad look like, and what will be most effective?

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Wed 17 Aug 2011, 9:35 pm

With the 5th prop options in the Ireland squad, and the fact that Bowe, Bod, Darce and Kearney, in the backs, have varying kinds of knocks. I would take the risk and go 16/14

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

What will the make up of your Nation's squad look like, and what will be most effective? Empty Re: What will the make up of your Nation's squad look like, and what will be most effective?

Post by gavstar Wed 17 Aug 2011, 9:41 pm

my break down is.... props 4, hookers 3, second row 4, back row 5
scrum half 2, outside half 3, centres 4, wings 3, fullbacks 2

outside half big call for 3 instead of another forward, but this is with the idea that Hook covers 10 to 15( going centre if we need to replace a wing in a game.) He must be our cover.

We may be mulched up front, so i'm relying on the backs. Dumb philosophy,
who knows!!

gavstar

Back to top Go down

Post by ML Wed 17 Aug 2011, 10:11 pm

Surely the ratio of men to girls depends entirely on the type of game you want to play?

It is no surprise to me that Argentina opted for extra forwards and Wales opted for a greater number of backs for instance.

ML

Back to top Go down

Post by B91212 Wed 17 Aug 2011, 10:57 pm

I would go 16/14, with 4 props, 3 hookers, 3 or 4 second row and 5 or 6 back row. In the backs I would go 3 scrum half's, 2 fly halves, 4 centers, 3 or 4 wingers and 1 or 2 full backs.

I base this on the fact that injury replacements can (and will) be called up during the tournament itself, so the chances are the teams will have cover for the one game they will have to play without the injured player. One thing I would do (and I'm not sure how practical it is) would be to have a few non squad members such as Wilson and Hodgson on a paid for "relaxing" holiday during the WC in Australia. That way if you need to call someone up they are only a short flight away and their body clocks are already in the correct timezone.

B91212

Back to top Go down

Post by scoi Thu 18 Aug 2011, 1:43 pm

I think it depends on the versatility of your players. My welsh squad has:
5 props, 2 coming back from injury so 5 to be safe
3 hookers, just in case one goes down
3 second rows, cover from back rowers
6 back rows, 1 to cover second row
2 scrum halfs, Shane as very much emergency cover but may make it 3 losing a winger
3 Outside half, (2 can play elsewhere amongst the backs)
3 centres, covered by others
4 wings, maybe 3
1 fullback, not much choice here but 4 others have some experience here

17/13 split for me

scoi

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down