The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

your pre-shot routine

+10
Bob_the_Job
Maverick
JDandfries
Mercurio
Lairdy
MustPuttBetter
Diggers
super_realist
kwinigolfer
barragan
14 posters

Go down

your pre-shot routine Empty your pre-shot routine

Post by barragan Thu 18 Aug 2011, 1:54 pm

do you have one, do you stick to it? i've recently been thinking about the need / or not for a practice swing during the pre-shot routine. i tend to have the odd swing while i'm waiting for someone else to play [without distracting them of course], but my pre-shot routine involves positioning the clubhead square to the target, setting up my feet, adjusting my left shoulder forward [i tend to open my shoulders up a bit] and finally adjusting my grip until it feels right - then swing. i am relying on my alignment and set up to result in a good shot and simply trusting that i have the swing without needing to practice it on the course - not sure how sound that philosophy is - any suggestions? interested to hear what your own bread and butter pre-shot routines involve.

barragan

Back to top Go down

your pre-shot routine Empty Re: your pre-shot routine

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 18 Aug 2011, 2:06 pm

My pre-shot routine is all about alignment, making sure I have a short-range target in the direction of the shot I plan to play.

Like ban_bam my practice swing looseners are done while preparing. Get behind the ball, confirm my targets and go. Try to play quickly, try not to play too quickly which is a bane of my game.

Same routine right through the bag except more time spent on what's going to happen when the ball hits the deck on short-game shots.

Same with putting except have one practice stroke away from the ball, reconfirm my putter head alignment and go.

See, that's why my handicap is so high. Now you know!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 18 Aug 2011, 2:12 pm

Ban, the most important part of a pre shot routine for me is the need for alignment, whether this is off the tee, rough, fairway, bunker, chipping and putting I'e always got a line/target in mind. This target is virtually never the pin as the further away I look and the smaller the Target the more my brain focussed on it. So it might part of a cloud, building tree etc and I then line it up with something immediately in front of the ball, then I know its lined up. I don't need to have a practice swing. I just think of the Target and keeping it smooth. Keeping my mind clear of all other clutter has really helped my game this year.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Thu 18 Aug 2011, 2:13 pm

Mine is take three perfect practise swings then walk up to the ball. Then I proceed to think think about all the worst things that could happen and proceed to do one of those things using a swing that in no way resembles my practise swing. Sad

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Thu 18 Aug 2011, 2:25 pm

I generally like to have however many practise swings it takes until i get it right. The right feel, the right shape, nice and smooth etc.
So we're normally talking 40 or 50 practises, and then i hit thumbsup
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by Lairdy Thu 18 Aug 2011, 2:29 pm

Mines is two practice swings standing behind the ball and facing the target. All I look for in those practice swings is the feeling I want through the ball. Swing thoughts usually kept to weight transfer or flat left wrist at impact. Then line up a mark in front of the ball to the target and line up using that mark, check I am square, check target tracing line back to target mark then go. For Tee shots I just use one practice swing from behind the ball, then get over the ball. Short game shots I will take an additional two practice swings when I'm over the ball to better feel the weight of the shot. Bunker shots I line up and get over the ball, take a back swing, then bring the club back down, then a full practice swing feeling the desired follow through, then hit. Might seem odd that I change the routine slightly for tee shots, full shots and short game shots but for me they have all became habit, they all have purpose and I believe in it.

Putting is a little different. I removed practice strokes over the ball a while ago and its helped my putting a lot. I line up, address the ball with both feet together and the ball in the middle of my left foot, check the line, then spread the feet, check line from ball to cup and back then go. Thinking about adding a practice stroke away from the ball as a loosener, will never go back to having one over the ball though.

Lairdy

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Thu 18 Aug 2011, 2:46 pm

Lairdy wrote: will never go back to having one over the ball though.

Why, what happened??
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurio Thu 18 Aug 2011, 2:54 pm

1. The starting point of my routine is to stand about 3 to 4 yards behind the ball.
2. Pick an object in the distance and follow that line back to something about 4 to 6 feet in front of the ball.
3. Align club to target
4. Align feet to club.
5. Get the right (loose) grip pressure, i.e. ensure I can feel the weight of the club head.
6. Swing (with no practice swings).

I do practice strokes for chips and putts, though.

Mercurio

Back to top Go down

Post by Lairdy Thu 18 Aug 2011, 2:58 pm

MustPuttBetter wrote:
Lairdy wrote: will never go back to having one over the ball though.
Why, what happened??
Broke an ankle. Well, no it was worse than that! Had what were probably the yips when I started playing seriously a few years ago. Some research and subsequent change of putter sort of saw me over that but the change that made me a better and more confident putter was forgetting about practice strokes at the ball. I worked on my putting to the extent where my pace and touch was quite good but I still struggled with alignment. So taking out the practice storke and setting up once, over the ball gives me a better chance of hitting the ball on line IMO. It was just too easy to loose the line in moving that 3 inches between practice position and the ball!

Lairdy

Back to top Go down

Post by JDandfries Thu 18 Aug 2011, 2:58 pm

Simple for me as I dont like to dwell over the ball.

After teeing ball up, or assesing the lie, I will take one practise swing next to the ball, take two/three steps back, visulise the shot shape and where I want it to land, then set up and hit it

JDandfries

Back to top Go down

Post by Lairdy Thu 18 Aug 2011, 3:09 pm

I used to have a routine that had no practice swings over or behind the ball. It was a success to begin with but eventually I just became too rigid over the ball and ultimately too many swing thoughts came into my head. A while ago I was a bit lost with it all and decided just to go out on the course and find some confidence. After a bit of hacking around I decided to forget my then routine and just try and find some feel with my swing and had a bit of success with it. So now I have those 2 x practice swings behind the ball trying to get a feel for how things are. When you go from clubs like, Driver, short iron, long iron, med iron through a round then I think it can only help. Just my reasoning and I'm sure its not for everyone.

Lairdy

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Thu 18 Aug 2011, 3:22 pm

Pre-Shot routine:

Full Shots One practice swing that focus's on nothing but tempo.
Pick a small target to aim at where I want the ball to land. Step up to ball keeping this target insight aim there and pull trigger no swing thoughts..

Pitching and chipping: Practice length of swing for the shot, pick spot on green where i want to land the ball, setup slighty open to target. One last check at target. Pull trigger.

Putting, read line of putt, three practice strokes, all looking at line from behind ball. Address ball look at hole make putt.

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Thu 18 Aug 2011, 3:24 pm

Fair enough Lairdy

I tend to have two practise putting strokes whilst looking at the hole. Then the putters goes behind the ball, one look and hit. In honesty i probably start my putting stroke whilst still looking at the hole!
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurio Thu 18 Aug 2011, 3:33 pm

Recently, I've started to look at putts from behind the hole. I've found it invaluable for getting a better read as opposed to just just looking from behind the ball. My putting lines are now better, but I still haven't been making enough putts.

However, I read something the other day from a Tour Pro (I forget who) who said you really need to focus on making the putt to make the putts. Don't just think of an area to aim for - see the exact line.

I must admit, I've never really done that. I subconsciously think "just get the speed right and let's see where the ball ends it up".

It mentally hurts me to concentrate so much, but I'm now convinced that's what I need to do to improve my putting stats.

Cue 40-odd putts on Saturday - heh.

Mercurio

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 18 Aug 2011, 3:37 pm

It seems no-one incorporates a pre-shot snort in their routines.

A quick shot or two is certainly an essential ingredient in my pre-round routine when it's bitterly cold, while I have to take great care in managing the cold Heinie's from the drinks cart in hot weather.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Thu 18 Aug 2011, 3:49 pm

Ha ha, good attitude Kwini
I have been known to take a small flask of brandy on really cold days!
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 18 Aug 2011, 3:57 pm

Yes, I sometimes grab a small bottle of a concoction called Yukon Jack, the most effective anti-freeze I know . . . . .

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Thu 18 Aug 2011, 4:09 pm

Kwini, i've just looked it up and assume you are referring to the Canadian whisky rather than the japanese superhero? I can't imagine you carrying him around a golf course.......
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 18 Aug 2011, 4:12 pm

MPB thumbsup

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob_the_Job Thu 18 Aug 2011, 4:15 pm

My pre-shot routine changes. For the first shot it's:

1. Get stuck in traffic
2. Arrive 30 seconds before tee-off time
3. Mutter under breath
4. Take driver and tee the ball up
5. Knock the mother-loving snot out of it
6. Feel significantly better

After that it's:
1. pick a target line or point nearby that I want the ball to go "through"
2. take a few loosening swings while staring at that point
3. put the club head behind the ball and set my feet
4. swing before the demons in my head have time to tell me I'm going to screw up
Bob_the_Job
Bob_the_Job

Back to top Go down

Post by Lairdy Thu 18 Aug 2011, 4:33 pm

Mercurio wrote:Recently, I've started to look at putts from behind the hole. I've found it invaluable for getting a better read as opposed to just just looking from behind the ball. My putting lines are now better, but I still haven't been making enough putts.

However, I read something the other day from a Tour Pro (I forget who) who said you really need to focus on making the putt to make the putts. Don't just think of an area to aim for - see the exact line.

I must admit, I've never really done that. I subconsciously think "just get the speed right and let's see where the ball ends it up".

It mentally hurts me to concentrate so much, but I'm now convinced that's what I need to do to improve my putting stats.

Cue 40-odd putts on Saturday - heh.

I read the following tip and it seems to help whenever I need to read a putt from behind the ball - when viewing a putt from behind the hole remember that the ball will be slowing down as it moves nearer the hole. If you are used to reading putts from behind the ball your mind can get a little confused when you go behind the hole and the nearest part of the putt to you is now the slowest part.

Also, I always look for the line of a putt. If its not that serious a game and I'm struggling to see the line I will adopt the 'somewhere about there' method and I often make a poor stroke. I start at the hole and think about where the putt will enter the hole because unless its a straight putt it wont be the 6o'clock part of the hole thats nearest the ball - then work out the high point of break, then where I need to aim to hit that high point. Once I have all that sorted its sort of joining up the dots to see the line.

PS I think you've got to be geeky enough about putting to enjoy it.... Laugh

Lairdy

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Thu 18 Aug 2011, 4:37 pm

geeky putters anonymous anyone??!!

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by Lairdy Thu 18 Aug 2011, 4:50 pm

Oh yes! Do we all know what the ZBL is??

Lairdy

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob_the_Job Thu 18 Aug 2011, 4:53 pm

Ze Ball's Lost?
Zero Break Line?
Zen Ball Location.. think it's in the cup and it will be?
Bob_the_Job
Bob_the_Job

Back to top Go down

Post by Noshankingtonite Thu 18 Aug 2011, 9:34 pm

Bob_the_Job wrote:My pre-shot routine changes. For the first shot it's:

1. Get stuck in traffic
2. Arrive 30 seconds before tee-off time
3. Mutter under breath
4. Take driver and tee the ball up
5. Knock the mother-loving snot out of it
6. Feel significantly better

After that it's:
1. pick a target line or point nearby that I want the ball to go "through"
2. take a few loosening swings while staring at that point
3. put the club head behind the ball and set my feet
4. swing before the demons in my head have time to tell me I'm going to screw up

Bob: That sounds very familiar - exactly wot happened to me at the recent 606v2 meet at Old Fold Manor, where I arrived just in time to tee off only to be greeted by LJ and the Ringer both smugly rubbing their bellies having consumed an achingly beautiful bacon buttie Sad which the rest of them happily taunted me with the remainder of the day! It was almost as bad as getting the BFH on Bullseye Crying or Very sad
Noshankingtonite
Noshankingtonite

Back to top Go down

Post by Noshankingtonite Thu 18 Aug 2011, 9:38 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:It seems no-one incorporates a pre-shot snort in their routines.

A quick shot or two is certainly an essential ingredient in my pre-round routine when it's bitterly cold, while I have to take great care in managing the cold Heinie's from the drinks cart in hot weather.

I have found ridding my guts of excessive wind (Sumo Stylee) can help on pre-shot routines when a long drive is required. Not always a winner in those mixed 4-ball events though it has to be said Kwini. Run
Noshankingtonite
Noshankingtonite

Back to top Go down

Post by dr_peeps Fri 19 Aug 2011, 12:51 am

flick the fag, then 1 practice swing, before an almighty lunge at the ball !!, honest but some rythm may hel my game but i hate hold ups !!

dr_peeps

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Fri 19 Aug 2011, 10:00 am

Stand behind ball, pick a point on ground maybe 20 feet ahead in line with my target, visualise shot and focus on rhythm, approach ball and set clubface on my intermediate target, right foot into place, left foot in next, brief pause, relax, hit it.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by hend085 Fri 19 Aug 2011, 11:35 am

i have a couple of loosners swings perpindicular to the target while looking down the line of the hole (assuming thats where im aiming Smile and then walk straight into the shot and hit it pretty quick. (only real thing im consicously thinking about is ball position relative to my feet)
pretty confident that i'll hit it well when im loose so the longer i stand over the ball the more likely i am to stiffen up with the demons!

hend085

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down