The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I am taking the upset, Fish beats Nadal today

+7
sportslover
noleisthebest
Danny_1982
lydian
time please
Positively 4th Street
socal1976
11 posters

Go down

I am taking the upset, Fish beats Nadal today Empty I am taking the upset, Fish beats Nadal today

Post by socal1976 Fri 19 Aug 2011, 8:03 am

I think Fish matches up well with Nadal despite never having beat him. Not old fish who was heavy and lacked confidence. But the lighter better moving Fish has the weapons on this quick court to beat Rafa. To me Rafa hasn't looked good at all in his recent hardcourt matches and fish is the in form guy. I look for him to beat Rafa in 2 sets. I know that Fish of the past hasn't had success, but this is a different fish. He is having a great hardcourt campaign, Nadal is tired coming off a long match and the courts are playing quick. I think Fish wins 7-6, 6-3.Mardy also has a good back hand return that should be able to answer Nadal's wide kick serves.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

I am taking the upset, Fish beats Nadal today Empty Re: I am taking the upset, Fish beats Nadal today

Post by Positively 4th Street Fri 19 Aug 2011, 9:36 am

Nadal went on to play doubles last night too I believe. Wouldn't be surprised to see Fish beat him.

Positively 4th Street

Back to top Go down

I am taking the upset, Fish beats Nadal today Empty Re: I am taking the upset, Fish beats Nadal today

Post by time please Fri 19 Aug 2011, 9:56 am

Fish had a good tournament last year as well, and lost a closely fought final to Fed.

I don't know what to say about Nadal - but I never think it is wise to count him out until the last point! Smile

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Fri 19 Aug 2011, 10:03 am

Nadal is a funny one, he can have awful matches and be sublime the next. But we all know he's not been in form for ages now...and who knows what the match yesterday took out of him after 3hr 38mins. You feel Fish has the upper hand but you never know with Nadal...so agree with TP.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Fri 19 Aug 2011, 10:51 am

Yeah, I can't help thinking back to the Fench where Nadal was awful up until the quarters but found his form in time to win the title. Admittedly that is far easier for him to do on clay than it is on hard, but he can never be discounted.

I'm hoping he does grind through because I'd like to see Murray v Nadal in the semis. I think they both need a big win to regain a bit of belief, so it'd be interesting to see who would come through that one.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Fri 19 Aug 2011, 12:49 pm

Wow, haven't times changed.....who would've dared predict a Fish win this time last year....still, going for Rafa, too good a player to lose to Fish in the quarters. If it was the first round, maybe.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by sportslover Fri 19 Aug 2011, 3:07 pm

Cant see Mardy beating Rafa even though he is at the top of HIS game just now.

Rafa in Three.

sportslover

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Fri 19 Aug 2011, 3:17 pm

I'll opt for Rafa Nadal in straight sets.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Fri 19 Aug 2011, 8:18 pm

You guys can start calling me nostrafreakingdamus! Even predicted the straight sets. Nadal has definetly had his confidence dented. If Verdasco didn't choke repeatedly in his match against Nadal he probably beats him. This is what good health and a loss of 30 pounds can do for a man. The murray match up will be interesting because in the past Fish's aggressiveness and Mardy has an underrated return as well especially off his backhand has given Andy problems in the past.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by sportslover Fri 19 Aug 2011, 8:34 pm

Hard to believe that Mardy at 29yrs has never won anything higher than a 250.

On his display this week he is capable of beating anyone.

Has he and Novak had some sort of pack with the devil

Can't believe it's all down to diet with both.

Anybody have a copy of their diets Very Happy

sportslover

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremy_Kyle Fri 19 Aug 2011, 8:35 pm

sportslover wrote:Cant see Mardy beating Rafa even though he is at the top of HIS game just now.

Rafa in Three.

My favourite tennis pundit strikes again!

Boo, it's good to have you ( and Muzza) back! Hug

Any further deep reflexion on the Fed - Berdych match? Wink
Jeremy_Kyle
Jeremy_Kyle

Back to top Go down

Post by sportslover Fri 19 Aug 2011, 8:45 pm

Jeremy_Kyle wrote:
sportslover wrote:Cant see Mardy beating Rafa even though he is at the top of HIS game just now.

Rafa in Three.

My favourite tennis pundit strikes again!

Boo, it's good to have you ( and Muzza) back! Hug

Any further deep reflexion on the Fed - Berdych match? Wink

Going for Fish to win the USO

Near Zero (250's) to A Hero (Slam) Laugh

sportslover

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Fri 19 Aug 2011, 8:55 pm

Lol i picked Rafa in 3 sets, i went with the logic that his 3 and half hour epic yesterday would've toughened him up for this tournament, how far wrong i was. Nadal never looks like he's gonna win against top 10 players these days (unless they are fellow Spaniards Whistle .)
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Fri 19 Aug 2011, 9:19 pm

Mardy Fish is playing great, more power to him. I really hope that he makes Shanghai, I always liked him more than Roddick whose game I found completely unwatchable.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Fri 19 Aug 2011, 9:31 pm

Mardy Fish won, beat Nadal 6-3 6-4. No, I'm not taking the Fish.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Fri 19 Aug 2011, 10:46 pm

clap well done Mardy and clap well done Berdych steam mad furious I just knew Fed was going to find a way to lose that one - only second top tenner Berdych has managed to beat this year, and it had to be the Fed 🤦

Back to Rafa though, pretty sure he will be ok at USO - isn't Uncle Toni back from hols then? Wish I could feel as sanguine about Roger's chances Crying or Very sad

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by Positively 4th Street Fri 19 Aug 2011, 11:10 pm

time please wrote: clap well done Mardy and clap well done Berdych steam mad furious I just knew Fed was going to find a way to lose that one - only second top tenner Berdych has managed to beat this year, and it had to be the Fed 🤦

Back to Rafa though, pretty sure he will be ok at USO - isn't Uncle Toni back from hols then? Wish I could feel as sanguine about Roger's chances Crying or Very sad

Nadal always seems to struggle when Uncle Toni isn't in town. Not got a good record at Cincinatti either so the omens weren't good. Think, and hope, he'll be a different beast in New York.

As for Federer, I keep thinking he's going to string it together for a few matches and then it doesn't happen. I truly hope it does again though. He needs some fire, maybe someone will dismiss his chances and get him riled before New York.

Positively 4th Street

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Fri 19 Aug 2011, 11:32 pm

I think that taut match with ferdasco took alot of him mentally and physically. He really made a mistake playing doubles as well last night, when I heard that and looked at the two players forms there was no doubt fish was going to be the winner.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down