The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Styles of Play

2 posters

Go down

Styles of Play Empty Styles of Play

Post by emack2 Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:58 am

When I wrote my thesis on The effects of styles of play on the relevant Bok and All Blacks stats post 1949
some one asked me to elucidate.After 1950 the All Blacks played in the more restricted style of forward
orientated Rugby.
The Boks up to this point played Strong set piece Rugby,based around Lineout and Scrum,tactical kicking
defence,goalkicking.In 1951-2 they toured Europe changed there style to the NH style running game my
relatives told me once about the "Murray field Masscre" beating Scotland 44-0 eight tries to nil.THIS was
just before my time just,but they lost a test to the Wallabies in 1953,Lions twice in 1955,and 3 to All Blacks
1956,then lost and drew with France in 1958,abadoning this style and reverting 1960-1 successfully being
unbeaten.In Europe in all 5 tests and 3 wins and a draw versus the Lions 1961-2.
The All Blacks post 1949,used the set piece either from the scrum,to create a passing or dribbling rush
they attacked or defended in the main as a pack,8 as one.It was said you could put a blanket over them to
cover the whole pack.
The lineout was used to create a Static Ruck[Maul] or a Dynamic Ruck[2-3-2 or 3-3-2 loose scrum]they
attacked from second phase.Ruck being either fed back to backs or held and driven[dribbling /driving rush]
In defence backrow and cover defence,plus man to man marking it was considered impossible to score
tries direct off first phase ball..
All Blacks sides post 1956 great packs,efficent rather than brilliant backs and the Goal kicker.This was a very
successful formula.During 1950/60`s Tiny Hill,Tiny White,Colin Meads,and Peter hilton-Jones started as flankers
then moved to lock.Ken Gray[Prop]Brian Lochore[8],Kelvin Tremain[Flank] from 1950-69 they lost a single
very close series to Boks 2-1-1.
For much of his time 1956-64 Don Clarke was the main attacking weapon,and was used as a super fly half to
gain territory by his huge punting,as well as goal kicking.
Drop/penalty goals were the order of the day,tries often scored by forwards or backs from second phase.
In 1965 Mick Williment took over D.Bs kicking duties.In this period the Vic Cavanaghs[jr and snr] Otago game
based on the Ruck,backs like Ron Elvidge or Ian Macrae deliberately used ploys to set up rucks.
From 1966-69 Freddie Allen,with the aid Vic Saxton[Kiwis Skipper 1945-6 NZRFU Forces side] turned to a more
Counter attacking style carried on by John Mitchell.In the 1970`s many of the 60s greats went and thestyle loosened
up a bit ,with corresponding losses.
To illlustrate this to great players Kelvin Tremain[Flanker]and Bryan Williams[ Wing ]played 38 tests each both
scored 9 tries.
Both made over 130 first class matches,William playing one more than Tremain ,Tremain scored over 130 tries
Williams ,scored just one more than him.
When you talk about great All Black flankers Tremain is seldom mentioned he was with Colin Meads his great friend
the best forward of his generation of All Blacks.I was priveleged to see them both in 1963-4 and 1967.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Styles of Play Empty Re: Styles of Play

Post by Taylorman Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:15 am

Tremain kirky and nathan were always regarded as the top flankers in my day.
Only jones and mccaw since able to fit into that level. Tremain of the 3 usually considered the better of the 3.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down