The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Leinster - 2011/2012 Season

+6
greybeard
thebandwagonsociety
the-goon
MBTGOG
D24tress
Welshmushroom
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Leinster - 2011/2012 Season Empty Leinster - 2011/2012 Season

Post by Welshmushroom Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:25 am

A review looking at Leinster's chances in the new season. Last season they didn’t do themselves justice in the League but given their HC cup run the last 2 years it’s not totally unexpected. In fairness to them though they did well and last season Munster just took the league by storm on the back of some very good second string performances and Leinster still managed to reach the playoffs.

New players this season:-
Sean Cronin – Hooker
Jamie Hagan – Prop
Steven Sykes – Lock
Damien Browne – Lock
Matt Berquist – Fly Half
Fion Carr – Wing
Nathan White - Prop

With Hines heading to France they have hedged their bets by bringing in Browne and Sykes. Browne provides some real bulk and grunt (in the Style of Hines). I don’t know much about Sykes but they must be looking at him as a predominant lineout caller to possibly rest Cullen at times. Cronin and Carr are probably the best of the signings in terms of performances from last season (although I am surprised they only offered Carr a single year contract). Most of these signings will likely feature in the Rabbo heavily this year. With it being a WC year I’m guessing we may not see the starting 15 lineup often due to the enforced rest periods. If we do see them its likely to be during home fixtures. Leinsters Fans will create another strong atmosphere at home and I don't see them giving many points away at home. That said reaching the top 4 will be how they fair away.

Here’s my guess at the side most likely to feature in the league for them this year:-

1. van der Merwe
2. Strauss
3. Hagan
4. Browne
5. Cullen
6. McLaughlin / Ruddock
7. Jennings
8. Heaslip / McLaughlin

9. Reddan
10. Berquist
11. Carr
12. D’arcy / McFadden
13. McFadden / O’Malley
14. Horgan
15. Nacewa

So looking at the key players for them Jennings and Cullen have never really been favoured by Ireland. Both give Leinster great leadership and experience. I’ve always been a big fan of Jennings and he is just a workhorse at the breakdown. I would imagine Berquist will place himself into the starting spot more often than not in the Rabbo. One thing is for sure though as they are going to be solid in Defence and the pack will stand up well. Leinster seem to be going from strength to strength in what was considered their weakest area a few seasons ago. In the backs I expect Carr to show up very well again this year and it’s the genuine pace they have in the backline coupled with some power as well which will make them to hot to handle for most of the Rabbo teams.

Prediction – I’m totally torn on this one. Statistics suggest they will walk into the top 4 this year again and with a full compliment of players available they will challenge in the playoffs. That said with it being a World Cup year and most of the star names not featuring heavily (except at home), the key question becomes “Will the away side pick up enough points to bag a top 4 spot?” My logic here is that I do expect them to fair very well in the HC this year and get out of their group without to much fuss. Throw in the 6 Nations and I just don’t see O’Driscoll and co to feature to often. This could leave them a little thin on the ground and might cost them a top 4 spot. That said the signings appear to be astute and I think the second string will be good enough to make the top 4, just. I don’t think they will win the league though as I could see them slide in at 3rd or 4th post this year and Home advantage could be crucial in the Semi Final Playoffs. Prediction – 4th.

I'd like to hear from Leinster fans on this one....

More Irish sides to follow this week.....

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Leinster - 2011/2012 Season Empty Re: Leinster - 2011/2012 Season

Post by Welshmushroom Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:54 am

On a side note - I think David Kearney may be finished at this level (with Leinster anyway) as I cant see him doing well against Fitzy, Shaggy, Carr & Nacewa (when they play him on the wing).

Hagan could end up with some International exposure if he does well this year. Should be a real contest though as Looseheads in the Rabbo are of a real high standard. Its a duel I expect him to do well in with a couple of Caps at the end of it for him too.

For me though I'm really looking forward to seeing how McFadden develops this year. Looks like he has a good balance of pace and power.

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by D24tress Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:28 pm

I'd expect are backrow to feature

mclaughlin
ryan
rudduck

alot this year, we two strong front row players in each position
Second row is up in the air this year, but if either sykes or browne can get going we should pick up where we left off.
I know this is a bit wierd to say but i would nearly forfeit the hcup this year in favour of giving some of the young backs exposure
Conway macken and omalley

D24tress

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:53 pm

They may get a shot to field some prospects in the HC - With the following in their Group:

Bath
Glasgow
Montpellier

No disrespect to the other sides in there but I think Leinster have to much for all of them. Glasgow just dont have a good enough squad. Montpellier have a history of of favouring the French Top 14 so I wouldnt expect to see the star names out to many times. Bath made some good signings in the off season but how quick they gel against the champions remains to be seen. Cant see past Leinster and they got to be happy with that group (as there are 3 really bad groups by my count). So if they can do really well it may give them an oppertunity to rotate some youngsters into some of those games.

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:55 pm

Welshmushroom wrote:They may get a shot to field some prospects in the HC - With the following in their Group:

Bath
Glasgow
Montpellier

No disrespect to the other sides in there but I think Leinster have to much for all of them. Glasgow just dont have a good enough squad. Montpellier have a history of of favouring the French Top 14 so I wouldnt expect to see the star names out to many times. Bath made some good signings in the off season but how quick they gel against the champions remains to be seen. Cant see past Leinster and they got to be happy with that group (as there are 3 really bad groups by my count). So if they can do really well it may give them an oppertunity to rotate some youngsters into some of those games.

To be fair, Montpellier have never been in the H Cup, so we can't make any assumptions how they will treat it.

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:05 pm

Fair point - I based it on the Challenge cup appearances.

But looking at the squad they have anyway I dont see them as a major threat. Sure they have some good players with the likes of Trinh-Duc, Privat, Ouedraogo, Martin & Nagusa. They will graft but I believe Racing had a better squad and Leinster still beat them comfortably last year. Unless Leinster have a bad day in the office I dont see any upsets in this group.

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by the-goon Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:13 pm

Well with the WC squad announced today here is what I guess will be our starting team during the WC (not accounting for injury call ups).

1. VD Merve
2. Strauss
3. Hagan
4. Skykes
5. Toner
6. McLaughlin/ Ryan
7. Jennings/ Ryan
8. Ruddock
9. Cooney/ Willis
10. Berquist
11. Fitz/ Carr
12. Macken/ Sheriden (Perhaps Nacewa has he can play here and there is more cover in the Back 3.)
13. O'Malley
14. Horgan/ Carr
15. Nacewa/Kearney/ Conway/ Fitz

16. Harris-Wright
17. MrGrath
18. White
19. Browne
20. McLaughlin/ Ryan
21. Cooney/ Willis
22. Madigen
23. Macken/ Sheriden/ Carr/Kearney/ Conway

To me that's still a good team and we should be able keep the points ticking over when the big boys are at the WC/on rest periods.

Rabo play offs are a minimum requirement and a home semi final should be the target and winning the HC with a minimum of the semi finals should be the goals this year.

A side target should be slowly phasing out the older players and estblishing good replacements from within.

the-goon

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:49 pm

Yep 13 players included for the WC makes them one of the hardest hit in the Rabbo. I noticed Fitzy wasnt included so I am assuming he's injured and wont be available for Leinster either?

I'm not convinced though the fixture list is going to help them.

Ospreys (Away) 2 Sep
Dragons (Home) 9 Sep
Warriors (Home) 17 Sep
Scarlets (Away) 24 Sep
Aironi (Home) 1 Oct
Connacht (Home) 8 Oct

I expect them to win both games in Oct but start of season could go very wrong for them. I dont see them winning away against the Ospreys with the side you posted above. I also dont see them beating the Scarlets away with that side. That makes the Dragon home crucial and a must win game in my eyes as you dont wanna lose 3 games out of 4 in the opening month. That said given that the Dragons have lost their best 5 players I cannot honestly see us winning that second game so its possible Leinster after 8 matches could be 6 out of 8 which they would be happy with I would imagine.

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by thebandwagonsociety Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:19 pm

Browne is brought in primarily to replace Trevor Hogan who was forced to retire due to injury early on last season. Sykes is set up as the replacement for Hines.

I'm not totally sure, but I think Leinster lost 3-4 games at the start of last season and are always slow starters, so a 4-2 or 3-3 start would be my semi-honest expectation for Leinster to start the season. They don't travel to Wales and get results without the international players on the field, but they don't do badly defending home turf with the extended squad selection.

With all the internationals away with RWC, Leinster still have a very strong backrow, good second row (Toner's lineout ability offsetting woeful carrying ability for during the rwc games). Front row has VDM and Strauss who could be first choice and Hagan who should be solid against non-international/elite standard opposition.

Scrum half will be inexperienced by the looks of it. Berquist seems a competent outhalf and someone who knows Schmidt and his way to play for many years. Centres will be young, but O'Malley held his own in the HC when needed last year and has a season experience under his belt. Macken and Sheridan have a great chance to prove themselves. The back 3 will have Nacewa, Fitz and maybe Horgan (though he is aging so will be used sparingly) so good strength remaining there for the start of the Pro12.

Tempted to get to the Saints game on Friday, make a great weekend of sport. Don't know about the quality of game but Leinster v Saints, Ireland v England and Dublin v Donegal should all have good intensity and hard (but honest) hits.

thebandwagonsociety

Back to top Go down

Post by greybeard Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:46 pm

Willis has plenty of experience at scrum half, his problem is he has also plenty of experience getting injured. In fact he was supposed to be retiring before joining up with us. (If I remember correctly, he only has a short term contract to cover the RWC

But if he can stay healthy then we shouldn't be too worried at SH

greybeard

Back to top Go down

Post by the-goon Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:48 pm

I wouldn't be worried about the away games in Wales at all. The Ospreys are in the same positions regarding WC call ups, the Scarlets have also lost their best players (but not as many) so all the teams are in the same boat. The best team we can field still has 6 intenationals and 2 project players. The first 6 games are all winable but tough. They will be strange games as all team will have a different feel to them, very interesting tho.

the-goon

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:18 pm

I know what your saying but I have some question marks on some of the Leinster youngsters. Ospreys will likely field a side as follows:-

1. D. Jones
2. S. Baldwin / M. Davies
3. C. Griffiths / C. Cross
4. I. Gough
5. I. Evans / J. Goode
6. J. Thomas
7. J. Bearman / J. Tipuric
8. M. Allen
9. R. Webb
10. D. Biggar
11. R. Fussell
12. A. Bishop
13. A. Beck
14. K. Phillips
15. B. Davies

For me given that the Ospreys would be at Home as well I would put them as clear favourites for that match. The backline looks more dangerous than the Leinster team and the main area I see them dominate is the Back Row where a combination of J. Thomas/J. Bearman/M. Allen/J. Tipuric should be to strong for leinster on the day. Front 5 look evenly matched though.

Looking forward at the Scarlets likely lineup against Leinster:-
1. I. Thomas
2. E. Phillips
3. R. Thomas
4. L .Reed
5. D. Day / D. Welch
6. R. McCusker
7. J. Turnbull
8. B. Morgan
9. G. Davies
10. A. Thomas
11. D. Newton / L. Rees / L. Williams
12. R. Gomer-Davies / N. Reynolds
13. G. Maule
14. A. Fenby
15. D. Evans

Thats pretty much a first team Scarlets backrow. Rhys Thomas played realy well at tighthead at the end of the season so I can actually see the tight 5 doing a number on Leinster. The big questions mark for them is if E. Phillips at Hooker can hack it.

Also Aled Thomas at 10 can be unpredictable so not sure if he would control the game well enough. Probably a tight game as I have question marks on the Scarlets backline in scoring tries.

I do think Leinster have a better squad than most though so I dont see the Scottish or Italians giving them many problems.

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by the-goon Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:21 pm

The back row, front row and back 3 are Leinster's strengths in this team. The 2nd row is average and the halves and centres will be talented but inexperienced.

Our backrow are all capped by Ireland (McLaughlin, Jennings, Rudduck) and I would rate as better than the Ospreys but not the Scarlets. All good players but that's how I see it. Not much between either.

I'd say our front row is the strongest out of all three, VDM and Strauss would be at the WC if they were Irish and Hagan has several season in the ML with Connacht and has done very well.

Our 2nd row would be weakest out of the 3, Sykes is an unknown and Toner isn't that good.

Our back 3 is easily the best of the lot. Fitz, Nacewa, Horgan is basically 1st choice and played a big part of making Leinster the best team in Europe. No question about that, 2 lions and ERC player of the year nominee. And that's not including Conway who has a big future, will push his way into the 1st team within 2 years.

Our halves and centres are weaker than both I'd say, we have some very talented youngsters but its mainly potential rather than ability and senior experience. That's where the Welsh teams would get the most joy from, but if the we can gain parity here I think we are stronger elsewhere to win the matches.

Its impossible to tell really, as we don't know who will be selected to play but I can't wait to watch these games, rugby in the mornings and evenings, HEAVEN!!

the-goon

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:00 pm

Indeed Smile Going to be nice to have a beer at night watching the Pro 12 and wake up early to watch some World Cup stuff.....Althogh from a Welsh perspective I think the Samoa game is on at 4am in the morning on a Sunday so that might not be ideal....

Either way, lots and lots of Rugby to watch Smile

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by the-goon Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:55 pm

Don't go to bed! Simples. Even as an Irish fan, i'll be up one way or an other to watch that game! Could very well be a belter!

the-goon

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:30 pm

On a side note I noticed Leinster have Leo Auva'a registered in the Rabbo. Now I'm not sure if he played last season or if he is new? Anyone know anything about him? He seems to be a hell of a lump tipping the scales at almost 20 stones at No 8.

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:22 pm

Welshmushroom wrote:On a side note I noticed Leinster have Leo Auva'a registered in the Rabbo. Now I'm not sure if he played last season or if he is new? Anyone know anything about him? He seems to be a hell of a lump tipping the scales at almost 20 stones at No 8.

Singed from Old Belvedere this season, was a key player in them winning the AIL cup this year. Massive fella, not sure he has what it takes to become anything more than a squad player. If he's as good as Stephen Keogh I'll be over the moon! Just shows there's more than 1 route into the team.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:11 am

I have to say I think our squad looks fantastic.
Really seems like we have the depth in all positions to fight a battle on two fronts (HCup and Pro 12).

I thinkn our front row and backrow are going to be pivotal in our success in the World Cup period. Also don't under estimate our midfield. Berquist is a good player and O'Malley could be destined for internatinoal caps in a few years, he is a great player and a linebreaker in the centre. When you add into that our very experienced back 3 coming into the line I think our backs are in good nick.

1 option not explored here is the idea of Kev McL being used at lock with Dominic Ryan coming in at 6. I think this would further strengthen our pack.

I expect the same as last year tbh challenge in the semi-final/final of both competitions and win one.

Our overall squad is much better than it was last year IMO.

good article.

pete (buachaill on eirne)

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:26 am

While I was disappointed for Luke Fitzgerald I think he’s going to be a huge boost to Leinster this season. We’ll have a back 3 of Luke, Carr and Nacewa (and Horgan and Dave Kearney when they return from injury) for the start of the year, that’s pretty much the HC winning back 3. The midfield is a little thin but O’Malley was impressive any time he got a chance last year and Macken will be champing at the bit given his unfortunate injury in his first senior start last year. Berquist looks like he could be a very able deputy to Sexton but we’ve also got McKinley and Madigan on the books and they won’t want to be left behind, fantastic to have such competition for places. We’re losing two SHs to the world cup squad, so Willis and Cooney will have to earn their crust there, can’t help but think Paul O’Donaghue is kicking himself he made the move west.

The backrow is class, Ruddock Jennings and McLaughlin are all internations and Dom Ryan will be keen to get as much gametime as possible with O’Brien and Heaslip away. I think the signing of Browne and Sykes tells me that Schmidt doesn’t want to continue with the “locky to lock” campaign and I don’t blame him, it never took off as we’d all hoped. Skyes is pretty highly regarded in the Super15 and Schmidt does not strike me as the type to pick up journeymen so I’m hoping he can fill the vacuum Hines left and become our second row inforcer.
The first choice front row will have to start pretty much every game until the WC is over if we’re going to remain strong there. Hagan will relish the chance to become a regular starter with Mike Ross away, Hank the Tank and Mighty Strauss will are HC standard forwards, so if we can stay injury free there we’ll be grand.

I’ve a good feeling about the start of the season. I could see us winning 4 or 5 out of the first 6 games.
COME ON LEINSTER!

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by D24tress Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:38 am

I agree completely mick

I think we are in one of the strongest positions

When 13 players are missing and some of the younger lads still might not have a chance to get much game time you know you have a huge squad,

It took healy a while last year to get back in the starting lineup
and i can see that again with a few of the lads coming back.

Also in losing 13 players we still have plenty of leadership

jennings
shaggy
isa
ruddock (future captain in my eyes)
Strauss

The future is bright
the future is blue

D24tress

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:47 am

I think the coaching is also going to be extremely benfitial for the youngsters in the team. When Horgan or Keanrey are back we may even end up putting Fitz or Nacewa in at 12. Could prove something useful.

I can see us doing very well this year I have to say. Glad we made some very good signings.

Also very glad we will have so many leaders still in the team, Jennings, Horgan and Ruddock

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:50 am

Sorry didn't see your post re Leadership D24. OK

We have an embarressing amount of talent in the back 3 no Pro12 squad probably has that strength in depth in that area.

Could Isa or Luke or Shaggy move to 12 when Kearney is back?

realistically we have Fitz, Horgan, Nacewa, Conway, Kearney and Carr trying to fill 3 starting spots.

12, 4 and 9 seem to be our weakest positions so may as well move a back 3 player in there no???

Back to top Go down

Post by greybeard Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:52 am

We started last season poorly, but I put that down to a new coach finding his way. I expect to see a much better Leinster from week 1 this time round.

Looking forward to it. The new signings will all be starting, save for maybe Browne. He is the only hire I would have put down as a 'panic buy' due to the need for second row cover. I see we've done it again with the part time contract given to Gannon. I don't rate either of them.

greybeard

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:53 am

There’s also the young winger who scored a cracking try against the rebels, Darren Hudson.
Not that I would take MUCH from a preseason friendly but he was given a start because of his impressive form in training. Schmidt has form picking players like that, I wouldn’t be surprised to see him in the mix at the start of the season.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:55 am

Is Gannon another lock?

When is the game lads?

Fitz or Isa to 12 for a bit?

Back to top Go down

Post by D24tress Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:55 am

How would you say carr feels about fitzy being left out

We have alot of good backs who are realistically playing to stay at the club, cause the numbers just dont add up and someone will have to make way soon.

Who do you think our outstanding player of this period will be.

I think it is easy to say isa, but i think berquiest could really do us a job

D24tress

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:03 am

I think someone like Ruddock could really shine in the first few months.

I think Carr was wishing he was still with Connacht when Fitz got left out, although Carr was probably in better form that Fitz last season.

When does the team for the Northampton game get announced and is the game Fri or Sat?

So phsyched for the Rabbo 12 now!!!!
COME ON!

Back to top Go down

Post by greybeard Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:04 am

D24tress wrote:How would you say carr feels about fitzy being left out

I doubt he'll care. Or at least I'd hope not. He was getting gametime at Connacht but moved for the challenge. He always knew it was going to be a tough time fighting for a place at Leinster, compared to walking into the team at Connacht.

If he was the kind of guy to worry about competition for a place I'd say he'd have stayed where he was. He'll really have to raise his game now, which can only be a good thing for us, and for him, he might finally end up on Deccies radar.

greybeard

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:12 am

We (Ireland & Leinster) seem to have a lot of back 3 depth.

Think McFadden now has to be considered as a centre rather than wing due to the amount of other wingers we have.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:14 am

pete (buachaill on eirne) wrote:Is Gannon another lock?

When is the game lads?

Fitz or Isa to 12 for a bit?

I would be pretty keen to see Isa start at 12. He didnt work at an outhalf for us but given the way JS has the team set up he could be an excellent foil for Sexton.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:16 am

So who would move to 15?

Dave kearney? Conway? Fitz?

Back to top Go down

Post by greybeard Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:20 am

pete (buachaill on eirne) wrote:So who would move to 15?

Maybe even Carr. Attacking from deep gives him plenty to time to spot the gaps. He prefers FB. But to be honest I think he's a better winger than a FB.

greybeard

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:23 am

pete (buachaill on eirne) wrote:So who would move to 15?

Well at the start of the season I would keep Isa at 15. But when the troops return I would look at moving things around.

Also, don’t forget that Ian McKinley covers fullback too (started there against the Rebels).

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:26 am

I think having Isa at 15 for the beginning of the season would be smart too just to have someone clever and assured at the back who is completely dependable.

For the first few league games I think Fitz should go to 12 so our midfield looks a bit more experienced. Bring on Macken and Sherrif at times of course but also play Conway, kearney, Carr, horgan and Isa in the back 3. May as well use as many of our international class players as possible.

Back to top Go down

Post by D24tress Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:32 am

Has anyone seen this nathan white
Is he just cover for VDM, from looking at him on youtube he is a tighthead and another nz prop we have signed that loves to brawl
hopefully not another clint

D24tress

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:33 am

D24tress wrote:Has anyone seen this nathan white
Is he just cover for VDM, from looking at him on youtube he is a tighthead and another nz prop we have signed that loves to brawl
hopefully not another clint

That's all i know of him too. Is he on a temp contract or here for a season?

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:35 am

Oh Clint was a useless waste of space you were!!!!

Don't know anything about White, but Schmidt seems pretty good with his signings doesn't he? Appears well though out and smart

Back to top Go down

Post by D24tress Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:39 am

temp contract i remember reading,
I presume feek had some impact in his signing so i can only hope and assume he can scrummage

We only really have jack mcgrath as an academy prop in the squad
He might get a run out or two as we only have
vdm hagan and white

D24tress

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:47 am

pete (buachaill on eirne) wrote:Oh Clint was a useless waste of space you were!!!!

Don't know anything about White, but Schmidt seems pretty good with his signings doesn't he? Appears well though out and smart

Didn't Schmidt sign Clint though? for the most part i agree, he makes smart signings but Clint was a useless lump. And he kept losing consciousness, which is not a good trait in any rugby player.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:50 am

Leinster's backs would match anyone's during the RWC period. They look light on options in the frontrow and the second row is only decent but their backrow is probably better than most.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by greybeard Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:57 am

Being light on front row options isn't really that big a deal, though. Hagan is a young lad and a workhorse, he must have started every single Connacht match last season. He is more than up to starting every game for the next few months until RWC players come home and reintegrate. So on that score I'm not overly worried about the lack of depth.

greybeard

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:59 am

We’re not too bad in the front row T.
VDM, Strauss, Hagan
With a bench of McGrath, White and JHW.

Bench isn’t as strong as we’d like, but it’s not too bad, the first choice is pretty good.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by D24tress Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:08 pm

Mick if one of those props gets injured we are looking at academy or AIL players though

D24tress

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:09 pm

Can anyone tell me anything about Browne?

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:12 pm

D24 - we have Simon Shawe too. I didn't expect much of him last season but to be fair he played in the HC and never let us down. A very useful squad player.

Pete - Browe was with Connacht, moved to Northampton and we got him from Brive. He was a first team player in the Top14 and is a bit of a bruiser. That's all i really know of him. Realistically he's the replacement for Trevor Hogan who was never replaced midseason so i expect him to be around the squad at the start of the season but if he's not up to the standard we won't be relying on him.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by D24tress Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:14 pm

He is a bit like ed o'donaghue
Who we still have in our squad actually, same standard i mean

D24tress

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:15 pm

D24tress wrote:He is a bit like ed o'donaghue
Who we still have in our squad actually, same standard i mean

Forgot all about him. I'm sure most of us have...

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:16 pm

Right well realistically one if not two of Toner, O'Donoghue and Browne are gonna have to step up a fair bit.

Or else McL will have to be made into a proper lock

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:20 pm

We'll be fine with Toner and Sykes i'd say. Sykes played in the same second row as Johann Muller and was seen as the bruiser to his technician. Toner is a poor enough carrier and doesn't get much work done at ruck time, but he's a good lineout operator. It would be a nice balance. And should get us through 6/8 league matches if things gel from the start.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by D24tress Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:23 pm

So in the pack we have

VWM and white
Strauss and JHW
Hagan and mcgrath/shawe

Toner and o'donaghue
Sykes and browne

Mclaughlin
jennings and ryan
ruddock and new leo

Not a bad bunch of forwards to choose from in my eyes
add to that sherrif and paul ryan who have come up from the academy

Dare i say it but including the lads we have in the world cup i think it is the strongest squad of forwards we have ever had

D24tress

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next