The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

US Open Final Tennis Needs

+9
time please
socal1976
Danny_1982
Josiah Maiestas
carrieg4
sportslover
lydian
legendkillar
hawkeye
13 posters

Go down

US Open Final Tennis Needs Empty US Open Final Tennis Needs

Post by hawkeye Tue 23 Aug 2011 - 8:54

So far 2011 has hardly been a vintage year as far as great and memorable matches go. Federer Djokovic and Federer Nadal at the French to me being the exceptions. What tennis needs is a great US Open final to catch a few headlines, gain and re-gain some fans and keep the die hard fans happy.

So no rain during final weekend and no dark horses... unless they are of the Becker "a star is born variety" aged under 20 and putting out a few top seeds in spectacular fashion. Also please no injuries or retirements.

The best final for tennis (although it might not be popular here) would be Federer Nadal. It is the one that would pull in the most viewers. It would be an historical event not just in tennis but in sport as a whole. Federer was closer than he's ever been to Nadal at the French. These players know how to play each other and both thrive under pressure. I'm sure the occasion would bring out the best in them. This is the final I would like to see so very nervous about the draw... No way should this match up be in the semi's.

Second best Nadal Djokovic followed by Federer Djokovic.

I have my favourite but any of these match ups has the potential to be the US Open final that tennis needs.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

US Open Final Tennis Needs Empty Re: US Open Final Tennis Needs

Post by legendkillar Tue 23 Aug 2011 - 8:56

Tennis does not 'need' another Federer or Nadal GS final.

It needs new blood. Not the tried and tested stuff.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Tue 23 Aug 2011 - 9:13

legendkillar

Tennis has never had a Nadal Federer US Open final.

Most viewers want to see the stars. They are the best because when they have been tried and tested they have passed. They have not only passed but passed with flying colours and in a spectacular way. The best match ups will always occur when two such players meet. With Nadal and Federer we have the chance to see two of the best players ever meet. Thats what most viewers (me included) want to watch.

As far as new blood goes I did list it as a possability. But only of the Becker "a star is born variety" aged under 20 and putting out a few top seeds in spectacular fashion.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Tue 23 Aug 2011 - 9:25

I think its a fair poinr the OP makes - it would be great to see one last Federer-Nadal final as it will probably be the last slam final, or even ATP final they compete in.

Yes tennis needs new blood, but it also feeds off the stuff of legend - quite literally.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by sportslover Tue 23 Aug 2011 - 9:29

hawkeye wrote:legendkillar

Tennis has never had a Nadal Federer US Open final.

Most viewers want to see the stars. They are the best because when they have been tried and tested they have passed. They have not only passed but passed with flying colours and in a spectacular way. The best match ups will always occur when two such players meet. With Nadal and Federer we have the chance to see two of the best players ever meet. Thats what most viewers (me included) want to watch.

As far as new blood goes I did list it as a possability. But only of the Becker "a star is born variety" aged under 20 and putting out a few top seeds in spectacular fashion.

As for stars vmp it would be a shame for a falling one like Roger to yet again get beat in a final by Rafa.

Im sure his fans would like to remember him when he was at the top of his game and winning them.

sportslover

Back to top Go down

Post by carrieg4 Tue 23 Aug 2011 - 9:47

Tennis needs the players who win their first 6 matches in the final. It's sport not b****y X Factor!

carrieg4

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Tue 23 Aug 2011 - 10:09

Whilst Nadal and Federer have not played in the US Open Final together, I see that it is not reason alone for them to be in the final. On current form I wouldn't want to see them in a final.

The final should be for the players who find the best for in the tournament. An unknown quantity below 20 is a bit harsh. If Fish was to win it for example, I don't think it would dampen it considering he would be a 'national' champion.

I want to see the best performances win the title.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Tue 23 Aug 2011 - 10:15

carrieg4

Tennis has a very good chance of getting what it needs. In fact I would say odds on!

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Tue 23 Aug 2011 - 10:55

carrieg4 wrote:Tennis needs the players who win their first 6 matches in the final. It's sport not b****y X Factor!

Tennis and X-Factor BOTH need the revenue TV brings it to sustain as a major SPORT....
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by carrieg4 Tue 23 Aug 2011 - 11:04

lydian wrote:
carrieg4 wrote:Tennis needs the players who win their first 6 matches in the final. It's sport not b****y X Factor!

Tennis and X-Factor BOTH need the revenue TV brings it to sustain as a major SPORT....

True and a good final will bring that in no matter who is in it. Yahoo

carrieg4

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Tue 23 Aug 2011 - 12:30

Nadal fans would prefer that wouldn't they? Afterall Nadal lives off his head 2 head v Fed in the slams. I hope this isn't the final as it would bring too much gloating from Nadfans and frankly would be a 1 sided final.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Tue 23 Aug 2011 - 12:36

I wouldn't mind seeing Djokovic-Tsonga final as they have a very close h2h (5-4 Tsonga) and if Tsonga serves like we all know he can we could see 5 sets classic on our hands.

Nadal-Davydenko final could also be fun to see Cool
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Tue 23 Aug 2011 - 13:09

All matches between the top 4 have potential to be fantastic or anti-climactic. I don't see why Nadal v Federer should be any different.

Personally, I'd rather see any of Djokovic, Murray, Nadal, Del Potro in the final than Federer. Nothing against Fed, just my preference.

I'd like to see Murray v Djokovic actually. That could potentially be great, if Murray turned up this time.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Tue 23 Aug 2011 - 13:36

carrieg4 wrote:
lydian wrote:

True and a good final will bring that in no matter who is in it. Yahoo

No it doesn't work like that.

Maybe hardcore tennis fans would be happy with excellent play from a couple of players outside the top three. For example Ferrer Verdasco at last years US Open. High quality tennis over 5 sets, lots of twists and turns, topped off with one of the best match points ever(?). But how many watched or cared? Even a player putting on a fantastic performance against one of the top three is not really appreciated. The Nadal Verdasco semi at the AO is widely acknowledged by many tennis fans to be one of the best matches in recent years. But will never be remembered in the same way as a match featuring 2 of the top three. Chances are higher that the top three will be able to play well in a final. The last thing tennis needs is another damp squid.

The problem womens tennis has at the moment is that they don't have what the ATP has. Big names that are consistant. Anyone hoping for a Fish Tsonga final or something similar only has to look at the WTA to see how entertained people would be by that. (No dis-respect meant to Fish or Tsonga... or indeed the WTA as womens tennis can be great)

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Tue 23 Aug 2011 - 13:55

Federer Djokovic final would be also interesting, seeing that Federer is the only 1 this season to defeat a fit Djokovic.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Tue 23 Aug 2011 - 17:19

Exactly, whoever wins their first six matches in a row deserves it. Unfortunately, this whole fascination for Fed Nadal finals is why Novak continually gets Roger put into his draw and frankly this odd streak of 5 straight grandslams with Roger in his half is starting to tarnish the credibility of these events. It is certainly providing a rational basis to question the integrity of the tournament organizers.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 23 Aug 2011 - 17:29

Who on earth would want to see Nadal beat up Federer in yet another final.

This one's been done to death and we all know the outcome.

Nadal with blisters, bad foot, bad knees, no confidence, all combined would still beat THIS Federer with relative ease.

Fed 05-06 vs any version of Nadal on HC's - now that would be a different story.

But this Fed, with the shaky BH, UE machine FH, slower movement, low confidence, and then throw in the perpetual match-up issues - forget it, it would be a humiliating beatdown.

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Tue 23 Aug 2011 - 17:58

emancipator wrote:Who on earth would want to see Nadal beat up Federer in yet another final.

This one's been done to death and we all know the outcome.

Nadal with blisters, bad foot, bad knees, no confidence, all combined would still beat THIS Federer with relative ease.

Fed 05-06 vs any version of Nadal on HC's - now that would be a different story.

But this Fed, with the shaky BH, UE machine FH, slower movement, low confidence, and then throw in the perpetual match-up issues - forget it, it would be a humiliating beatdown.

I think it would be a lot closer than you think. Federer just needs a little more motivation now that he's won everything. Look what happened when he was written off before his match with Djokovic in the FO semi. He played Nadal closer than ever in the FO final. Facing Nadal on the fastest hard court GS would be a huge match for him. I'm sure it would bring out the best in both players. If they met in the final it would be a big thing... not just for tennis but for sport as a whole.

Nadal Djokovic and Federer Djokovic could also be great finals. However these players have already met in a US Open final and they don't have the same history as Nadal Federer.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by carrieg4 Tue 23 Aug 2011 - 18:21

The point is that times change. I have no doubt that, if internet forums had been around, posters would have been confidently posting that no-one wanted to watch finals that did not contain Borg / Laver / Sampras / Perry etc etc. Tennis was around and popular long before any of us were around and will still be there long after we are all dead. The players change but, as long as the tennis is good, the game survives. Hence my previous statement. It is not x factor, we just need a good final!!!

carrieg4

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Tue 23 Aug 2011 - 18:41

Yes, we really haven't had a close grandslam final for some time. The last one I remember was 2009 US open. 2010 USO final was pretty competive eventhough Nadal just barreled over Djoko in the last set. But we need a real 5 set war final with high quality tennis.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Tue 23 Aug 2011 - 19:03

This years FO, last years US Open were both high quality and if you want a 5 set war final with high quality tennis 2009 AO. What they all have in common is they all featured 2 of the top 3. Hence my reasoning that one of these match ups is the US Open final that tennis needs.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by carrieg4 Tue 23 Aug 2011 - 19:23

hawkeye wrote:This years FO, last years US Open were both high quality and if you want a 5 set war final with high quality tennis 2009 AO. What they all have in common is they all featured 2 of the top 3. Hence my reasoning that one of these match ups is the US Open final that tennis needs.

Hmm still think you are missing the point about the transient nature of tennis. An existing player could suddenly step up their game or an unknown could come completely out of left field. That is what makes the game great, not just the top three.

carrieg4

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Tue 23 Aug 2011 - 20:05

This years french open final was just way too predictable. In the USO final at least Nole won the second set to tie things up and didn't get blown out till the end of set 3. Neither match would I categorize as a classic, the RG final I wouldn't even classify as a good match.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Tue 23 Aug 2011 - 20:53

Without doubt I would like to see Djokovic in the final. Maybe against someone with a red hot streak.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Tue 23 Aug 2011 - 21:44

I agree a red hot streak would also be fun. But only of the "Becker" variety and not the one hit wonder "Fish" type. (again no dis-respect to Fish...)

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Tue 23 Aug 2011 - 22:49

the last thing I want is to see a Fedal final - I just couldn't bear to see Rafa beat up Fed here. Would love to have seen them meet from 2005 to poss 2009 here - sure it would have been close with Fed most likely coming out on top certainly in the first three years, but even if Rafa had beaten Fed on this turf then it would have been okay (just) because Fed was in his prime and therefore a more even fight - now it would be one way traffic and just rather sad - but perhaps that is just my perspective as a Fed fan primarily.

I'd love to see Fed in the final - just not facing Rafa. I'd like to see at least one of the top four in the final.

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by Positively 4th Street Tue 23 Aug 2011 - 23:39

time please wrote:the last thing I want is to see a Fedal final - I just couldn't bear to see Rafa beat up Fed here. Would love to have seen them meet from 2005 to poss 2009 here - sure it would have been close with Fed most likely coming out on top certainly in the first three years, but even if Rafa had beaten Fed on this turf then it would have been okay (just) because Fed was in his prime and therefore a more even fight - now it would be one way traffic and just rather sad - but perhaps that is just my perspective as a Fed fan primarily.

I'd love to see Fed in the final - just not facing Rafa. I'd like to see at least one of the top four in the final.

I can absolutely understand that. As a Nadal fan I would like to see it, which stems from that scenario giving Nadal a good chance I guess. Also, since I view Federer as the maestro it is always adds an extra lustre if Nadal topples him. Even now for me. I know their head-to-head is in Nadal's favour but I never view it as a gimmie that Nadal will win, I always fear Federer's brilliance and lots of their matches have been tight. Appreciate Fed fans may view this very differently though. Would like to see him bag #17 at some stage. As for his future, if he can reconcile himself with being a danger man but not the man then I feel it's his prerogative to carry on. The concern is whether he can maintain form all the way through a tournament, semis and quarters won't burnish his legacy but one glorious run just might be possible.

Positively 4th Street

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Tue 23 Aug 2011 - 23:47

Hi Positively - it is a great shame for tennis that they didn't meet on US soil earlier, but now - no sofa would be big enough for me Very Happy

Fed may have one more glorious run left in him, but I think Lady Luck needs to be firmly on his side and a few dark horses toppling the other top guys over 5 sets now. Still he amazed me at WTF last year, so never say never!

It's great that he is still loving the game - think he might need to be pushed off court in his zimmer frame at some point!

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by Positively 4th Street Tue 23 Aug 2011 - 23:58

time please wrote:Hi Positively - it is a great shame for tennis that they didn't meet on US soil earlier, but now - no sofa would be big enough for me Very Happy

Fed may have one more glorious run left in him, but I think Lady Luck needs to be firmly on his side and a few dark horses toppling the other top guys over 5 sets now. Still he amazed me at WTF last year, so never say never!

It's great that he is still loving the game - think he might need to be pushed off court in his zimmer frame at some point!

Hi tp,

I agree with your earlier post in that Nadal would have been up against it in NYC against Federer in years gone by. Certainly 2005-2007. Less sure about 2008, given what had happened earlier that year at RG and SW19.

Hope Federer does have a last hurrah somewhere along the line, it will be a sad day when he leaves a court for the final time whatever happens between now and then. My favourite match of the year was his French Open semi vs Djokovic. Just a simple case of doing that 7 times in succession...

Positively 4th Street

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Wed 24 Aug 2011 - 0:07

Roger is too much of a "brand" now to get the hunger that he and Nadal used to have. Federer would need to get out of his contract with Nike/Gilette in order to find the hunger he used to have. Too much security!
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Wed 24 Aug 2011 - 10:56

Positively 4th Street wrote:
time please wrote:Hi Positively - it is a great shame for tennis that they didn't meet on US soil earlier, but now - no sofa would be big enough for me Very Happy

Hi tp,

I agree with your earlier post in that Nadal would have been up against it in NYC against Federer in years gone by. Certainly 2005-2007. Less sure about 2008, given what had happened earlier that year at RG and SW19.

Hope Federer does have a last hurrah somewhere along the line, it will be a sad day when he leaves a court for the final time whatever happens between now and then. My favourite match of the year was his French Open semi vs Djokovic. Just a simple case of doing that 7 times in succession...

Yeah, I think 2008 might have been Rafa's too - I think the US Open mended a bit of Fed's heart Smile Tennis will be the poorer when they both leave the court, not only because of the quality of play, but because they have brought crowds back to tennis and made it popular in the way that Connors/Borg/McEnroe did.

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Wed 24 Aug 2011 - 11:11

time please wrote:Yeah, I think 2008 might have been Rafa's too - I think the US Open mended a bit of Fed's heart Smile Tennis will be the poorer when they both leave the court, not only because of the quality of play, but because they have brought crowds back to tennis and made it popular in the way that Connors/Borg/McEnroe did.

Honestly when these 2 are gone we're gonna have a WTA MKII as there will be no strong rivalries anymore. I don't even think about when Federer will retire anymore, he is The BEatles of tennis whereby empty seats do not exist in his matches. Roddick is another 1 who will be a big loss when he retires, very popular despite his poor play these days...

Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Wed 24 Aug 2011 - 17:45

Certainly, can't replace a player of Fed's quality he is once in a generation type of champion. However, the sport goes through this sort of thing every time a great leaves the game and invariably new stars eventually find away to capture the imagination with their accomplishments.

Personally, i haven't much enjoyed Fed and Nadal matchups because for the most part they fall into the same pattern of play. Nadal hitting 20 straight cross court forehands to feds backhand till it breaks down. Fed could still beat him I think if the conditions and his serve are right. But frankly, the rivalry is not the same as it was 3 or 4 years ago. Right now I prefer the Novak/Rafa rivalry and the FEd/Novak rivalry over the Rafa/Roger rivalry. Too one sided and predictable.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by teassoc Wed 24 Aug 2011 - 18:24

I much prefer to see new players coming through. Nothing worse than Nadal - Federer again. Maybe Murray will come through as he seems the freshest at the moment of the top 4 and is coming in on a high.

It may be that Federer doesn't even reach the semis. Depends what kind of draw he gets.

(He's got a lot of points to defend the rest of the year so potentially we may see him slipping to number 4 if he isn't top of his game. I can't see him winning the WTF this time round.)

Not even sure about Nadal who seems much more vulnerable these days or even Djokovich, who might now be paying physically as well as mentally for all those games he's played winning tournaments, particularly if his shoulder is still a problem.

Berdych could be a tough draw for one of the top seeds if he's recovered in time. Maybe even Del Potro as an outsider, but he's still to recover his old form. Fish is the other 'form' guy most will want to avoid.

teassoc

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Wed 24 Aug 2011 - 18:29

Good post teassoc, can't disagree with any of the things you say. For tennis to move on after Fedal it needs new players to take the baton and start doing amazing things themselves. So far Djokovic has done that lets see if Murray can truely join the fray. Federer Nadal finals have been great don't get me wrong, but I almost didn't watch the RG final. From start to finnish there was never a doubt as to the end result, I think even Roger knew it.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Wed 14 Sep 2011 - 15:09

Just remembered this. Nadal Djokovic was my second choice. Was this final good for tennis? At least it made me forget about the rain...

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Wed 14 Sep 2011 - 15:14

Murray isn't a "new player", he's 24. So is Djokovic; he hasn't come through, he's been around and now Roger and Rafa are in decline and he's improved he's in charge.

There is no new players; the obsession with fitness has destroyed that.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Leff Wed 14 Sep 2011 - 16:04

Attendance has been excellent at the US Open this year. The first match I watched was Djoko vs Davydenko on the first Saturday. There was an announcement during the match that the total attendance (number of ticket-holders that entered the village) was about 84K, the highest ever in the Open history. It was a boring match and in the next few days, I watched a few more matches that weren't thrilling (Ivanovic vs Stevens, Murray vs Lopez, Zvonareva vs that German woman, etc), but there were many matches that were not star-studded contests, but produced entertaining tennis nevertheless. Matches involving Fish and Isner were well attended.

I think tennis today is in a healthy state, especially men's tennis. IMO, tennis is in a better state than golf or cricket today.

Leff

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Wed 14 Sep 2011 - 17:38

Tennis outside the states is thriving. It is growing in popularity in europe, south america, and asia. I am here in the middle east and watch tennis on the arab satellite stations and after football they cover tennis the most, which is refreshing. Being from the states I am used having tennis ranked behind every other sport and slightly ahead of hot dog eating contests and lumberjacking contests. I am not kidding they actually show that crap regularly on Espn in the US. Globally it is strong but it is dying in popularity in the states at least as TV sport as a spectator sport it remains strong.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Leff Wed 14 Sep 2011 - 18:22

The US Open still draws huge attendance.

Leff

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down