The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Floyd 'Money' Mayweather is coming to Primetime!

+19
Michaels, Sean
Adam D
School Project
trottb
Waingro
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
coxy0001
Mind the windows Tino.
Sugar Floyd Louis
Fists of Fury
The Galveston Giant
TRUSSMAN66
BALTIMORA
Imperial Ghosty
Lumbering_Jack
Rowley
Union Cane
Scottrf
Primetime
23 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Floyd 'Money' Mayweather is coming to Primetime! Empty Floyd 'Money' Mayweather is coming to Primetime!

Post by Primetime Tue 23 Aug 2011, 4:56 pm

Floyd ‘Money’ Mayweather Is Coming To Primetime

WBC Welterweight Title
When: 17th September Live from the MGM Grand Garden Arena, Las Vegas
What: Floyd Mayweather Jr vs Victor Ortiz
Where: All on Primetime: Sky channel 480, Virgin Media ‘On Demand’ and online at Primetime Website

Primetime’s Summer of Championship boxing continues this September with the world’s biggest boxing name headlining an action packed card of title fights from the MGM Grand Garden Arena. Following on from the dramatic unification fight between Amir Khan and Zab Judah, Primetime returns to Las Vegas for the most anticipated fight card of the year!

Floyd ‘Money’ Mayweather has long been regarded as the pound for pound greatest fighter in the world today. With 10 world titles to his name in 5 weight divisions, including the lineal championship in both the Lightweight and Welterweight divisions, his no.1 pound for pound status has only been challenged by his recent inactivity in the ring.

Mayweather turned professional at 19 following a controversial semi final defeat in the Atlanta Olympics and has fought 41 times in the professional ranks, winning all 41 bouts with 25 wins coming by way of KO. His record includes a string of famous names such as Jose Luis Castillo, Arturo Gatti, Zab Judah, Oscar De La Hoya, Ricky Hatton, Juan Manuel Marquez and ‘Sugar’ Shane Mosely.

After Amir Khan’s decisive victory over Zab Judah, shown exclusively on Primetime, Golden Boy Promotions have publicly stated their desire to have their British charge face Mayweather Jr in a marquee event late in 2012. Mayweather has long pronounced his affection for British boxing fans and has stated his desire to fight in the famous Wembley stadium for his British fans in what would likely be a record breaking British boxing event. Before that he first has to shake off the ring rust and get past a dangerous ‘Vicious’ Victor Ortiz.

‘Vicious’ Victor Ortiz poses a big threat to Mayweather’s unbeaten record, in previous fights Mayweather has struggled to work out strong south paws and was troubled by De La Hoya’s strong left hand. Coupled with a 16 month layoff Ortiz has a golden opportunity to end Mayweather’s unbeaten streak and claim a famous victory.

Ortiz is coming off a dramatic victory to claim the WBC Welterweight title from the previously undefeated Andre Berto in a bout that is already a fight of the year contender. Ortiz has a crowd pleasing, aggressive South Paw style and has the distinction of having sent every opponent he has faced to the canvas at some point in his fights.

Despite being right handed, Ortiz fights in a south paw stance giving him genuine knock out power in both hands that has lead him to titles in both the Light Welterweight and Welterweight divisions. He also brings a 10 year age advantage to the ring against ‘Money’ Mayweather as he looks to firmly establish himself in the pound for pound rankings.

This mouth watering main event is backed up by an unrivalled undercard featuring another 2 World title fights. Mexican sensation Saul Alvarez will be defending his WBC Light Middleweight title against Alfonso Gomez live from the Staples Centre in Los Angeles and Erik Morales aims to add another world title to his record of 7 titles in 5 weight classes by capturing the vacant WBC Light Welterweight title against Lucas Matthyse. Also fighting on the Pay Per View are unbeaten Light Welterweight Jessie Vargas and Josesito Lopez making this the boxing event of the year!

British fighter Anthony Crolla will be fighting the Mexican Pipino Cuevas Jr in a contest to be shown Free To View on Primetime in the lead in to the Pay Per View broadcast.

Floyd ‘Money’ Mayweather vs ‘Vicious’ Victor Ortiz promises to be the best value Pay Per View event of the year and you can catch all the action exclusively on Primetime!

You can order the card for only £14.95 by calling 08712004444*, visiting Primetime Website or Virgin Media customers can purchase using the ‘On Demand’ menu. Customers on Sky must register the first time they use Primetime and once registered can purchase using the ‘box office’ menu.

Primetime

Back to top Go down

Floyd 'Money' Mayweather is coming to Primetime! Empty Re: Floyd 'Money' Mayweather is coming to Primetime!

Post by Scottrf Tue 23 Aug 2011, 4:56 pm

In before Jeff.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Floyd 'Money' Mayweather is coming to Primetime! Empty Re: Floyd 'Money' Mayweather is coming to Primetime!

Post by Union Cane Tue 23 Aug 2011, 4:57 pm

Can I be the first to say "T-shirt"
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 23 Aug 2011, 4:58 pm

Scottrf wrote:In before Jeff.

I'm warming up Scott, am trying to decide where to start, although on reflection it may be "unrivalled undercard" that wins out.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Tue 23 Aug 2011, 4:59 pm

Great, you're back to sell us a fight in the least subtle way ever.

I for one will not be buying. I've seen higher quality pictures from a 10 year old camcorder. Can't wait for you to clog the boards up with your repetitive, boring guff.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Tue 23 Aug 2011, 4:59 pm

rowley wrote:
Scottrf wrote:In before Jeff.

I'm warming up Scott, am trying to decide where to start, although on reflection it may be "unrivalled undercard" that wins out.
I think the undercard looks alright.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 23 Aug 2011, 5:00 pm

So do I but am not sure it falls into the realms of unrivalled.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Tue 23 Aug 2011, 5:02 pm

Morales has 7 world titles in 5 weight classes? Since when?

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Tue 23 Aug 2011, 5:03 pm

Perhaps it is unrivalled on 17th September.

Having said that though, isn't Tyson Fury fighting that night?
Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Tue 23 Aug 2011, 5:04 pm

Since that tinpot outfit primetime wrote it.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Tue 23 Aug 2011, 5:08 pm

This must surely rival the unrivalled undercard...

Junior Witter SC Stephen Haughian 10x3
Ryan Greene SC Willie Thompson 8x3
Kid Galahad SC TBA 6x3
Phill Fury SC TBA 6x3
Tommy Tolan SC Phillip Townley 6x3
Kevin O'Hara SC TBA 6x3
Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Tue 23 Aug 2011, 5:14 pm

re the 'global announcement' about the rising cost of running this forum: How about some ad revenues from Primetime (the broadcaster, not the forum member)? You know, as opposed to the freebie ad that this 'thread' constitutes.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Tue 23 Aug 2011, 5:17 pm

alma wrote:Kid Galahad? Wasn't that an Elvis film?

"Kid Galahad is a 1962 musical film starring Elvis Presley as a boxer."

Also...

"Kid Galahad is a 1937 prizefighter film starring Edward G. Robinson, Bette Davis, and Humphrey Bogart."

Ashamed to say I haven't seen either.

Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Tue 23 Aug 2011, 5:20 pm

http://boxrec.com/list_bouts.php?human_id=509429&cat=boxer

He's 8-0-0, I'm sure I've seen him once or twice, he thinks he's the next Naz.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Tue 23 Aug 2011, 5:22 pm

How's that for a bit of rememberage.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/606/A56914617
Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Tue 23 Aug 2011, 5:22 pm

BALTIMORA wrote:re the 'global announcement' about the rising cost of running this forum: How about some ad revenues from Primetime (the broadcaster, not the forum member)? You know, as opposed to the freebie ad that this 'thread' constitutes.

I agree with this full heartedly

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Tue 23 Aug 2011, 5:23 pm

Johnny Nelson loves him but I think that's because he's from Sheffield.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 23 Aug 2011, 5:30 pm

Shame I was hoping it would be on a decent channel with good presenters and analysers like SKY....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Tue 23 Aug 2011, 5:48 pm

Although this is certainly good news for Primetime, surely you must understand that this is not good for the British fans.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 23 Aug 2011, 5:52 pm

Since when did the fans count..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Tue 23 Aug 2011, 5:59 pm

A rich man once said: "F*** the fans."

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Tue 23 Aug 2011, 6:03 pm

Absolutely excellent news for Primetime, a real coup on their part, but as you say Galvy not something that British fans would have wanted - we are reluctant to fork out PPV money on our own fighters, let alone two foreigners.

However, this is Money Mayweather we are talking about, and as far as PPV's go, this one has a good undercard and Mayweather in the main event, so we have certainly paid for worse.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 23 Aug 2011, 6:36 pm

It's your job to sell primetime now is it Fisty??

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Tue 23 Aug 2011, 6:40 pm

Haha, certainly not mate, but when you look at it from their point of view they must be laughing all the way to the bank. For a relatively new organisation to get boxings #1 PPV man early doors is some coup.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Tue 23 Aug 2011, 6:42 pm

Then again they're not going to have had any competition for the fight, Sky would have been willing to put it on I imagine but definitely not on PPV, then outside of the die hard fans who like Mayweather no one is going to be interested in paying for a fight in the middle of the night on a channel with no exposure.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Floyd Louis Tue 23 Aug 2011, 9:04 pm

Primetime..... I have a question. Huge Floyd fan here so will pay, however when I have watched ppvs on Sky Boxoffice before, I record and it deletes them from my sky planner. This will be my first time watching a ppv on Primetime, does your channel allow one to record the PPV?? (after paying of course).

Sugar Floyd Louis

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 23 Aug 2011, 9:05 pm

Awesome, Primetime is back to "engage" with the fans. I am positively moist with excitment at your inevitable follow up thread to discuss how the event and the broadcast goes.

Surely you won't leave us all hanging like you did after the Khan fight, will you? Not sure I can cope with being let down so badly again. Some people on here were cynically suggesting that you were only interesting in pitching to us 'ardcore fans. Low hanging fruit and all that. Not me though, I am better than that.

You're right Fists, from their point of view its great, I sure they can barely stifle their excitment. For the boxing section of this, otherwise excellent forum.....another collective groan at more guff from Primetime followed some patronising posts if one dares to have a different opinion.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 23 Aug 2011, 9:06 pm

P.S. Did you write that all on your own.

Lovely stuff.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Tue 23 Aug 2011, 9:12 pm

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:Awesome, Primetime is back to "engage" with the fans. I am positively moist with excitment at your inevitable follow up thread to discuss how the event and the broadcast goes.

Surely you won't leave us all hanging like you did after the Khan fight, will you? Not sure I can cope with being let down so badly again. Some people on here were cynically suggesting that you were only interesting in pitching to us 'ardcore fans. Low hanging fruit and all that. Not me though, I am better than that.

You're right Fists, from their point of view its great, I sure they can barely stifle their excitment. For the boxing section of this, otherwise excellent forum.....another collective groan at more guff from Primetime followed some patronising posts if one dares to have a different opinion.

Tino (and most of the rest of you), you're being a bit short sighted with this one, I feel. Do you seriously only think that Primetime are advertising here for their own benefit, with no benefits to the members of this forum? Not that I'm giving anything away, but you should really think about what you write. Personally I find it astounding that you all seem against Primetime's affiliation with this forum - it is a very good move in terms of incentives that could potentially be offered to the members, in return for a small amount of advertising on their part.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 23 Aug 2011, 9:15 pm

Nothing wrong with having a difference of opinion Tino.
But how many other forums do you know of where the likes of Primetime etc communicate with members offering freebies and competitions?

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Tue 23 Aug 2011, 9:20 pm

Y I Man wrote:Nothing wrong with having a difference of opinion Tino.
But how many other forums do you know of where the likes of Primetime etc communicate with members offering freebies and competitions?

Last time i checked sir i could get chlymidia and sex on a certain forum that a google search brought up....

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 23 Aug 2011, 9:21 pm

Jeez, Fists / Y I Man. How many times.

It is not about him/her/it being on here, it is the overbearing, gushing, and frankly ridiculous sales pitches they spew out. You are hardly going to be the most objective person to respond to this, but can you really read that utter tripe he has posted and keep a straight face? It is cringeworthy and borderline insulting.

Just come on here and post the link to buy the fight. Leave the knowledgeable and hardcore fans to decide whether to buy into it, without pumping out a load of guff like this. They can't be expecting to be taken seriously on here with garbage like that. Go to a general sports site and pitch with that tone. Not to serious fans on a boxing forum.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Tue 23 Aug 2011, 9:26 pm

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:Jeez, Fists / Y I Man. How many times.

It is not about him/her/it being on here, it is the overbearing, gushing, and frankly ridiculous sales pitches they spew out. You are hardly going to be the most objective person to respond to this, but can you really read that utter tripe he has posted and keep a straight face? It is cringeworthy and borderline insulting.

Just come on here and post the link to buy the fight. Leave the knowledgeable and hardcore fans to decide whether to buy into it, without pumping out a load of guff like this. They can't be expecting to be taken seriously on here with garbage like that. Go to a general sports site and pitch with that tone. Not to serious fans on a boxing forum.

I personally like the bit about standing southpaw but yet having knockout power in both hands.... I mean christ, after all these years a southie/orthodox who can bang with both! Who would have ever known!

With you though buddy, the sales pitch is a bit much

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Tue 23 Aug 2011, 9:26 pm

Just like most of the posts from most of our members then, Tino?

Yes Primetime are obviously going to talk the fight up, as it is their prerogative to sell it as best they can. I realise that you can make your own decisions, but we all know that hype plays a HUGE part in getting good sales figures - look at how many people bought Haye vs Harrison for crying out loud!

In that respect, they're not going to come on here and say hey, buy our fight, Mayweather is a genius and will probably school Ortiz for 12 rounds but it may be fun!

It is one thread, mate, and if you find it insulting to your boxing knowledge then fine, but there really is no need for the endless negativity from all involved above. Primetime have been good with this forum, and have some good incentives going forward, so to lay off the hounding would be nice, at the very least.

This isn't a go at you personally, far from it, but just something that a number of those above should bear in mind.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Tue 23 Aug 2011, 9:31 pm

Fists

Not quite sure what we get for incessant hounding other than, erm, a t-shirt? Or the "opportunity" (insert Union going mad) to win one?

Not having a go, but we're not getting offered free front row tickets to the next big hometown fight in exchange for 4 weeks of sales pitches... are we?

Be glad he's/they are here, controversy is popular. Wittering on about past Dempsey quotes and articles just isn't unfortunately....

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Tue 23 Aug 2011, 9:32 pm

I'm in agreement that as a sales pitch it's frankly a bit insulting. I noticed that Fists alluded to 'giving something away', and presumably he means information and not a t-shirt. Whatever it may be, I'd rather not be treated like a simpleton by having gushing salesman banter passed off as 'doing me a favour'.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 23 Aug 2011, 9:33 pm

coxy0001 wrote:

I personally like the bit about standing southpaw but yet having knockout power in both hands.... I mean christ, after all these years a southie/orthodox who can bang with both! Who would have ever known!

My own personal favoutite part was........ "his no.1 pound for pound status has only been challenged by his recent inactivity in the ring".....not even a mention of a certain guy who D4 quite liked.

Fists, that's fine. I wasn't taking anything personally, and never do. Likewise, I was not aiming anything at you guys as an admin/mod team. I have made my point and will just ignore the chaps threads in future.

I will be watching the fight regardless......in New York, the greatest place on earth!

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Tue 23 Aug 2011, 9:35 pm

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:
coxy0001 wrote:

My own personal favoutite part was........ "his no.1 pound for pound status has only been challenged by his recent inactivity in the ring".....not even a mention of a certain guy who D4 quite liked.

Fists, that's fine. I wasn't taking anything personally, and never do. Likewise, I was not aiming anything at you guys as an admin/mod team. I have made my point and will just ignore the chaps threads in future.

I will be watching the fight regardless......in New York, the greatest place on earth!

You've clearly not been to Scarborough then.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Tue 23 Aug 2011, 9:40 pm

on Primetime though?!???!?!

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Tue 23 Aug 2011, 9:45 pm

Tell me more about this Mayweather chap Headscratch

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 23 Aug 2011, 9:50 pm

BALTIMORA wrote:
Mind the windows Tino. wrote:
coxy0001 wrote:

You've clearly not been to Scarborough then.

On the contrary Balti, I was there only this year. Short break with the family in Yorkshire. Great fish and chips, but the the people of people of Scarborough aren't half grumpy sometimes.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 23 Aug 2011, 9:51 pm

coxy0001 wrote:

on Primetime though?!???!?!

Leave it Coxy. Just leave it.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Tue 23 Aug 2011, 9:54 pm

Laugh Primetime threads are the best.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue 23 Aug 2011, 10:21 pm

Will the coverage be better than the Khan fight it was terrible and pretty amateurish compared to sky considering it costs the same price. Can primetime not just use the HBO broadcast?
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Tue 23 Aug 2011, 10:41 pm

What did you feel was terrible and amateurish about it, Kev? Personally I thought it was ok, and was good to see them get the likes of Wayne McCullough as pundits, very knowledgeable and straight talking guy.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue 23 Aug 2011, 10:46 pm

Their was no studio and very little replays. McCullogh was good but when you have a pillock like Rosenthal asking you questions their is only so much one man can do. I've had primetime since they first aired boxing and they usually don't use their own broadcast team and it's usually of a better standard.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Tue 23 Aug 2011, 10:50 pm

The amatuerish bit was mainly the picture and presentation of the whole show. I've seen a better quality picture on a 10 year old camcorder.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by Waingro Wed 24 Aug 2011, 4:54 am

Mayweather is beast but he shoulda fought Hatton again. The ref was biased and they shoulda had a rematch in Manchester with a proper ref.

Waingro

Back to top Go down

Post by trottb Wed 24 Aug 2011, 8:30 am

BALTIMORA wrote:re the 'global announcement' about the rising cost of running this forum: How about some ad revenues from Primetime (the broadcaster, not the forum member)? You know, as opposed to the freebie ad that this 'thread' constitutes.

thumbsup

trottb

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 24 Aug 2011, 8:43 am

Waingro wrote:Mayweather is beast but he shoulda fought Hatton again. The ref was biased and they shoulda had a rematch in Manchester with a proper ref.

I agree he could have kicked his backside in Manchester as well as Vegas

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next