The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rugby players liking football , do you ?

+14
Turkster
BATH_BTGOG
formerly known as Sam
red_stag
nottins_jones
Irish Curry
GunsGerms
Thomond
Cari
Cymroglan
thebandwagonsociety
nottins
Otagolad
perand25
18 posters

Go down

Rugby players liking football , do you ? Empty Rugby players liking football , do you ?

Post by perand25 Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:24 pm

It seems as though a lot of rugby players and former players have a huge interest in football , Greenwood is a big Man City fan , Dayglo - Chelsea , Danny Care- Liverpool , Moyne - Arsenal , there are more that I can't recall right now , any other football fans on here ? I personally dont like it anymore i used to play both football and rugby but became fed up with football due to the mentality of a few fans that spoil it for many . I had my rear windscreen smashed by a couple of Arsenal fans because they just lost a game and my screen had an England Rugby sticker in it, could you imagine that happening the other way round! I also went to a chelsea v west ham game a few years back i sat in the family area and there were 10 year old boys screaming out the ref was a c--t through the whole match and the dads encouraged them. It just tarnished the whole feeling of football for me.

Last edited by perand25 on Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:29 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Expanded on why im a miserable bugger)

perand25

Back to top Go down

Rugby players liking football , do you ? Empty Re: Rugby players liking football , do you ?

Post by Otagolad Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:06 pm

I'm a huge United fan and have been for the last twenty years - managed to get to quite a number of their games in the UK when I worked there.

To be honest, and like most Kiwis I imagine, I like most sports if played at a high level and that I expect is why the international players do as well, certainly if the UK players are anything like the ex AB's and Blackcaps I know.

I saw in the paper the other day that a number of the AB's have ownership of race horses and are well into that and they all have spoken highly of their times in Italy meeting some of the Italian football team.

Otagolad

Back to top Go down

Rugby players liking football , do you ? Empty Re: Rugby players liking football , do you ?

Post by nottins Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:24 pm

Otagolad wrote:I'm a huge United fan

Cambridge ?
Carlisle ?
Colchester ?
Ebsfleet ?
Hartlepool ?
Hereford ?
Leeds ?
Manchester ?
Newcastle ?
Oxford ?
Peterborough ?
Rotherham ?
Scunthorpe ?
Sheffield ?
Southend ?
Torquay ?
West Ham ?

nottins

Back to top Go down

Post by Otagolad Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:25 pm

There's only one United - queue singing and taunting of Liverpool fans

Otagolad

Back to top Go down

Post by nottins Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:58 pm

Ah, that will be Leeds then.

nottins

Back to top Go down

Post by Otagolad Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:07 pm

Only when they sell us brilliant players

Otagolad

Back to top Go down

Post by thebandwagonsociety Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:03 pm

I thought a nice touch was the post match interviews at the HC final. Greenwood asked what he said at halftime and he replied that he mentioned Liverpool in Istanbul and how comebacks do happen in finals. But Sexton is a United fan himself.

thebandwagonsociety

Back to top Go down

Post by thebandwagonsociety Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:09 pm

Oh, to answer the thread question, I'm a Liverpool fan. Don't think it is that big of a deal following both sports. I'd just find that I would watch a random rugby game where I don't follow either team and be entertained more often than I would watch a soccer game where I don't follow either team and be entertained.
But then I'd follow NFL most seasons, MLB from the all-star break onwards most seasons, the NBA once the playoffs come around. I can't follow ice hockey on tv, but find it entertaining and easier to follow when at a game.

thebandwagonsociety

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:43 pm

Most sport orientated people will be interested in more than one sport.
Rugby historically has closer links with cricket than any other sport.
Many venues, including St. Helen's Rugby and Cricket Ground, Carisbrook, Eden Park, Raeburn Place, Headingley Stadium, Sydney Cricket Ground, McLean Park. the Oval, Cardiff Arms Park and Limavady Cricket and Rugby Club have been used for both rugby and cricket over the years

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:53 pm

thebandwagonsociety wrote:Don't think it is that big of a deal following both sports. I'd just find that I would watch a random rugby game where I don't follow either team and be entertained more often than I would watch a soccer game where I don't follow either team and be entertained.
Agree with that. I still follow Leeds (THE United Very Happy ) and want them to do well. I used to go and watch York City a fair bit as a kid too. I played football to a semi-decent level (old div 3 trials).

I follow most major sports to a degree (except motor sports - awful). I don't understand why you can't enjoy both although, like many, I've become pretty disillusioned with many aspects of soccer in recent years. Still enjoy it though.

I think it's quite easy for rugby fans to become quite snooty about other sports (especially soccer) and I'm not sure that helps anyone.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:58 pm

I don't follow football here at all - but I love Gaelic football. Up The Dubs!!! Very Happy

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:38 pm

Dublin don't play Gaelic football,unless it's the Ulster version of Gaelic Football. Wink Also known as "puke" football.

I'm a big soccer fan and follow my local side Cork City( who have given us Premiership stars Shane Long and Kevin Doyle aswell as Sunderland's David Meyler and various other Championship and league one players.) aswell as following Leeds United.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:00 pm

Cari wrote:I don't follow football here at all - but I love Gaelic football. Up The Dubs!!! Very Happy

Dublin are going to get smashed as usual probably against Donegal on Sunday if not then by Kerry in the final. Colm Gooch Cooper rival to Leo Cullen for Irelands most handsome man could beat Dublin by himself.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:09 pm

Football is a diseased game, a very sick sport. Watched a bit of Arsenal v Udinese match tonight. within minutes Theo Walcott flopped to the floor as an Italian defender grazed his chin with his elbow. It was the rugby equalivent pain wise as an O'Gara tackle on Sean O'Lomu running at full tilt. Basically you can't feel it, yet Walcott went down like he was concussed and had to receive attention. The commentators (Jim Beglan and co.) as if brainwashed were appauled by the actions of the Italian protesting for a "definite red card".

I used to love this game, and I still enjoy a kick around but it is not a spectator sport and more. It has run it's course.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Irish Curry Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:22 pm

I used to follow football almost like a religion but as leinsterbaby said because of all the diving and petty arguing that is always going on I have lost interess to a degree. Rugby is my sport now along with Hurling and Gaelic Football Braveheart
Irish Curry
Irish Curry

Back to top Go down

Post by nottins_jones Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:42 pm

Majority of rugby fans in Wales like football. Not myself personally although it's fun to play with your mates and great fitness. The football fans here tend to follow Swans, CArdiff, Man Utd, Liverpool(loyal aren't they!), Arsenal, Chelsea and the usual big club. But these guys will rarely turn out to watch Wales play football. However, they'll get together for a big all dayer in Cardiff when Wales are playing rugby. And it's a good day out mind!
nottins_jones
nottins_jones

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:57 pm

I really really find football boring to watch and play,even as a young lad i didn't like it.
It has to be Rugby and Power-Lifting all the way for me i love watching rugby i love playing rugby,i can lift weights all day and if time allowed watch people deadlifting squating and benchpressing on youtube all day if i could.
I enjoy watching boxing UFC and pride but besides some boxing classes in the local club as a teenager i have never had any participation in these blood sports.

A lot of the Scarlet players always talk about football usually ManU or Liverpool fans,I have always had a theory on Rugby players who play or support football,if your a back your more likely to support or play football but the forwards are less likely.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:32 am

I remember an interview after the Heineken Cup final this year with Johnny Sexton. He was asked about the comeback, and what the speech must've been like in the changing room at half time, and he made references to a match that Liverpool had played when they made a comeback in the second half despite being 3 - 0 down. I'm guessing he likes football too.

Leinsterbaby - we'll see. Wink

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:01 am

Sexton probably does alright. Was disappointed with the guy referencing football as a source of inspiration for his great day. He is still young though.

It's the same every year with Dublin, noone knows how good they are cause they are overhyped to the max and then they just capitulate in the semis or something.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:08 am

I like soccer. I don't understand why people can't like more than 1 sport.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:09 am

Leinsterbaby - I think they'll beat Donegal and get to the final anyway Smile

Staggy - who says you can't like more than one sport? I would've thought it's somewhat inevitable given that sports don't run all year round. Most fans have another sports interest when the rugby season ends.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:17 am

I'm a big Tigers fan but I'll still play for my local team over going to a Tigers game. I'm a Leicester City fan and I also follow F1 and NFL but given the opportunity I'd participate in any of those sports over watching them from a stand. Unfortunatley no one has ever offered me the chance to drive an F1 car and I don't think there's an American Football team nearby.

I do dispise the way footballers roll around despite barely being touched, the constant demanding cards and directing of verbal abuse to match officials is disgusting.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:19 am

Nobody on this thread but I know a lot of rugby fans who will belittle other sports like League and Football to an astonishing level.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:22 am

red_stag wrote:Nobody on this thread but I know a lot of rugby fans who will belittle other sports like League and Football to an astonishing level.

How strange. Although I'm not really into League for instance, I will watch a game if it's on TV - like the Challenge Cup is on the BBC this weekend, so I'll watch it. I don't like watching soccer, just because I don't find it exciting enough, but I wouldn't have a go at someone else for supporting a team as well as a rugby one.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by BATH_BTGOG Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:28 am

Theres nothing wrong with the game of football itself, its the culture surrounding it that puts me off going to a game, although I have got tickets to see the 2012 QF football at he MS, why? They were the only ones I could get Crying or Very sad If only rugby 7's were in the next Olympic games.
BATH_BTGOG
BATH_BTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Turkster Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:34 am

nottins_jones wrote:Majority of rugby fans in Wales like football.

how do you know, have you asked them? I don't know any rugby fans that like football, does that mean the majority don't? Headscratch

Turkster

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:41 am

Same here I used to love football and I still play more than rugby but it is how the game has evolved and the culture surrounding the game that I can't stand. I just hope rugby doesn't evolve the same way.

I love golf too. Watch and play a lot.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by BridgendBoyo Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:09 am

Im a Liverpool fan, however over the last few years ive fallen out of love with football, teams are far too defensive and theer are too many negative aspects in the game now. I try and watch the odd Liverpool game, especially as my best mate is a man utd supporter, as his dad. So ive enjoyed the last few times Liverpool won as ive rang his dads house, as he answers i start singing 'ring of fire' by jonny cash. mates dad then tells me to go forth and multiply.

Im sure ive read that phill bennet and gareth edwards played for swansea youth teams

Other than rugby i watch alot of boxing and cricket, which if im honest i prefer to soccer

BridgendBoyo

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:12 am

A lot of this diving rubbish doesn't go on at lower levels so I don't see too much of it. Except when Limerick play,awful bunch of cheaters.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:13 am

Boyo - I wouldn't be surprised if Bennet and Edwards used to play football. Ryan Jones did, Shane Williams did a bit as well I think, and Shane used to be a gymnast. There's a few Irish players who once played Gaelic football as well - it shows on some of them when they hoof the ball down the field.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:14 am

Soccer,can help you develop your footballing skills and your rugby brain.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:18 am

Cricket is fun to play but dull to watch. Boxing is not something I'd want to participate in but can be fun to watch. Though is is fairly corrupt too.

Tennis, golf, rugby, American football (despite ads) are my favourite spectator sports and I reall enjoy watching them all. Gaelic football can be good too to play and watch.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:21 am

Cari wrote:Boyo - I wouldn't be surprised if Bennet and Edwards used to play football. Ryan Jones did, Shane Williams did a bit as well I think, and Shane used to be a gymnast. There's a few Irish players who once played Gaelic football as well - it shows on some of them when they hoof the ball down the field.

Rob Kearney played GAA which helps him catch any bomb launched in his direction regardless of heavy traffic same with Geordan Murphy.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by BridgendBoyo Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:22 am

Thomond wrote:Soccer,can help you develop your footballing skills and your rugby brain.

totally opposite for me, i had always played rugby as kid, even learned to kick with my left foot. Mates dad who coached a local team saw me play in a kick about against his son asked me to go and play for them. Scored two goals on my début, having never played a 'proper' game of soccer, second game i scored 5 goals, though we did win 13-0 so it did take the shine off my efforts

BridgendBoyo

Back to top Go down

Post by BridgendBoyo Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:27 am

leinsterbaby wrote:
Cari wrote:Boyo - I wouldn't be surprised if Bennet and Edwards used to play football. Ryan Jones did, Shane Williams did a bit as well I think, and Shane used to be a gymnast. There's a few Irish players who once played Gaelic football as well - it shows on some of them when they hoof the ball down the field.

Rob Kearney played GAA which helps him catch any bomb launched in his direction regardless of heavy traffic same with Geordan Murphy.

Barber in town is best mates with Lee Byrne. Byrne was always good under the high ball, this was not down to have played GAA, but his mate said " see the thing is with Lee, is that he's stupid. Thats why he always catches the high ball, he can only concentrate on one thing at a time, so he's only thinking about catching the ball and not about the back rower who's about to smash him"

BridgendBoyo

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:32 am

Leinsterbaby - that's true, they make good fullbacks. I've looked at a couple of players in the GAA and thought they'd make good fullbacks Smile I think O'Leary and Bowe played some GAA too.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:39 am

I reckon Dublins Bernard brogan would make a very tidy centre. He is quite fast, skillfull, has a low centre of gravity and quite powerful legs. He is also quite strong and has excellent balance and movement.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:40 am

BB bottles it when it matters though. We can't have that for Ireland.

The difference between TOL and our other GAA players is that TOL was a hurler. I think you can see that he didn't play much football with his ball skills!

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:55 am

Thom - ah right, I didn't realise TOL was a hurler...maybe he could reconsider returning to hurling? Wink

Leinsterbaby - I'd love to see Bernie to play for Leinster! Very Happy

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:00 am

Soccer,can help you develop your footballing skills and your rugby brain

If you read Geech's autobiography he says the worst thing a young sportsman can do is specialise. The more sports played the more you will learn and develop a wider range of skills. Geech played a bit for Yorkshire Cricket I believe as well as playing for Headingly RFU.

Jordan Crane used to be a goalkeeper on the books of West Brom until they told him he had to stop playing rugby and Strettle was on the books at Sheffield Wednesday for a time.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:13 am

Sam, I agree,I always found it strange that people limited themselves to one sport, Ireland is now a place where most sports are accepted and many kids play a variety of different sports a big change from 30-40 years ago.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:32 am

Cork native Jordan Coughlin Senior cup winning number 8 for Clongowes is also in the Ireland under 20 cricket team and is predicted to be a great cricketer but also an immensely promising rubgy player and may have been snapped up by Leinster. Not sure.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:16 pm

Smile Footballs great, I love playing and watching it. The pro game has got out of hand though with playes wages and behaiviour on the field, ticket prices, fans conduct, total media saturation. I went to few Swansea games last season including the play off final but there's no chance of going this season. People qeued for days for season tickets overnight just to see premier league football, despite never seeing a Swans game before! If rugby and football are on the box at the same time, I usually keep switching channels trying to watch both...

Don't ask me on GAA. Haven't a clue... Erm
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:40 pm

I love Football and Rugby.

Both great sports, both have pro's and cons.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:57 pm

The cheating(diving) trying to get players sent off, and the amout of money ruins football.

On top of that players like Balloteli(sp).

This gut gets paid so much money per week, and acts like a child.
Crowd trouble aswel.
Having said that I'll not stop loving football.

Went to Wales/Ireland 6N game this year and Macedonia/Ireland in the Euro 2012, 2 great weekends for 2 completely different sports.

I do agree with what some have said, some rugby fans have a snobbish attitude towards football, have not heard as much of the same football fans about rugby.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by faraway Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:21 pm

i used to watch football religiously, the Italian league and the champions league were normally aired on a free sport channel, so there was high quality football on TV when I was growing and I used to love it, so much that i started playing in my school's football team.
but 2006 world cup did it for me, the amount of cheating and diving just put me off. and 2010 world cup just confirmed that i'm not missing anything.

i don't hate football, i hate what it have become of it. the whole cheating, diving, corruption, selfish egotistical disrespectful players, money driven FIFA, immature childish coaches etc.

but rugby, although it's my favourite now, is not the only sport i love watching. tennis, athletics, swimming, cycling and league to name a few.

faraway

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down