The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Somerset beat Gloucestershire and seasons chances

3 posters

Go down

Somerset beat Gloucestershire and seasons chances Empty Somerset beat Gloucestershire and seasons chances

Post by hodge Wed 24 Aug 2011, 11:27 pm

As the title says and it all but confirms their place in the semi finals and a win against Essex would confirm a home semi final. We are at the business end of the season with Somerset all but in the semi's of the CB40, in finals day of the T20 and 21 points off the top of the table with 2 games to go.

Firstly CC div 1, realistically any of the top 4 in my opinion can win it and this is how they run down:

Lancashire: played 13, points 198, remaining games
Vs Worcestershire, New Road
Vs Hampshire, Liverpool
Vs Somerset, Taunton

Durham: played 14, points 188, remaining games:
Vs Sussex, Hove
Vs Worcestershire, Emarites Durham

Somerset: played 13, points 177, remaining games:
Vs Hampshire, Taunton
Vs Yorkshire, Headingly
Vs Lancashire, Taunton

Warwickshire: played 12, points 172, remaining games:
Vs Yorkshire, Headingly (in progress)
Vs Yorkshire, Edgbaston
Vs Nottinghamshire, Edgbaston
Vs Hampshire, Rose Bowl

For Somerset I still believe the title is just about winnable and will be decided in the Lancashire game providing Warwickshire don't win all 4 of their games so this competition is very much up in the air about who will win.

Chances of winning: Outside but not unthinkable

CB40:

Likely Semi finalists:

Somerset
Sussex
Surrey
Durham

If Somerset beat Essex then a home tie vs one of Durham or Sussex will be on the cards if i have it right that Surrey get the other home game for best performance in the group stages. If Somerset have their full strength team I see no reason that Somerset cannot progress to the finals as only Surrey have perfromed better in the group stages (so far...)

Chances of winning: Good, Somerset's long batting line up could again the difference maker along with Gregory, Kartik and Alfonso's bowling

T20:

Somerset Vs Hampshire
Lancashire Vs Leicestershire

IMO Hampshire will want to have Somerset bat first and hope Somerset can't post a big total and like last years final attempt to chase it down, however with Pollard back and Buttler looking in great touch at the moment Somerset look like they will be able to post a big score as you would assume a couple of Trescothick, Kieswetter, Trego, Compton, Hildreth, Pollard, Butter or Meschede would be able to get going. Somerset have shown though they arn't just a big hitting team, in the CB40 game against Notts Somerset were very capable of picking up quick 2's alot even on Taunton and most of the guys in the teams are quick between the wickets. Then there is the (predicted) bowling line up of Gregory, Kartik, Alfonso, Kirby and Trego for Hampshire to negotiate. Hampshire will be the toughest game of finals day for Somerset imo so if they win that they should win the tournament, if they face Lancs they have the mental side of beating them in 05.

Chances of winning: Very good

What do you reckon on my assesment of Somerset's chances?

hodge

Back to top Go down

Somerset beat Gloucestershire and seasons chances Empty Re: Somerset beat Gloucestershire and seasons chances

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Thu 25 Aug 2011, 10:12 pm

Hodge - good article. Unfortunate that so much of Somerset last cc match was rained off - I think that's slowed the momentum.

Durham are out of it. I was critical of their lack of ambition in a recent cc match where they failed to press for victory (see Durham thread). And since then they've gone backwards.

I think it's realistically between Lancs and Warks - unless losses to the weather all go in Somerset's favour.

I think Somerset have excellent chance in both limited overs competitions. Can be a bit of a lottery at this stage but I think they will win one of them....Hope for Somerset v Surrey final in CB40 Very Happy

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Somerset beat Gloucestershire and seasons chances Empty Re: Somerset beat Gloucestershire and seasons chances

Post by JDizzle Thu 25 Aug 2011, 10:29 pm

I think the CC is our least chance of a trophy this season, althought we should beat Hampshire (but you never know) and that would throw it open again! The T20 will be crucial to all success this year because if we get one trophy and break that mental barrier after all our seconds last year we might win two or even three trophies this year!

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by hodge Thu 25 Aug 2011, 11:13 pm

agree if Somerset finish runners up in even 2 trophies this year the psychie of the team could be bad for the next few seasons if they get close to winning trophies

hodge

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Sun 28 Aug 2011, 2:09 pm

I seriously doubt whether Somerset will win any trophies this year now. Last year, I genuinely thought we were outplayed in both finals and did all we could in the CC, but were just unlucky. Yesterday though, we bottled it. Pure and simple. I don't think this bunch of players will have it in the jead to win a trophy this year now.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by hodge Sun 28 Aug 2011, 2:26 pm

same, i'm starting to think that we will finish 2nd in all 3 again, lose to probably Surrey in the CB40 and just a good finish would leave us 2nd in the CC so runners up again. Although i think this somerset team just needs 1 cup victory then they will be a serious threat all the time, the bulk of the team is young so something needs to be done in that respect or it could effect them for years.

hodge

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Mon 29 Aug 2011, 8:27 pm

Trescothick might be out for rest of the season after he picked up injury today. (scan on Tuesday to see how bad the injury is)...

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by hodge Mon 29 Aug 2011, 9:43 pm

he will be a big loss, however today we didn't have Kieswetter or Buttler and were able to put on a big total so theres still a very good chance of reaching the final.

Me and my dad looking to get tickets for semi final

Last edited by hodge on Tue 30 Aug 2011, 12:51 am; edited 1 time in total

hodge

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Tue 30 Aug 2011, 12:30 am

Tres would be a huge loss to us if he is out for the season. Especially in the CC. Just look at the runs he has scored this year, it is ridiculous! If he misses most of the rest of the season, then I will be even more sure that we will win nothing!

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Tue 30 Aug 2011, 9:20 pm

hodge wrote:

Me and my dad looking to get tickets for semi final

Pleased to hear Miandad is hoping to go..... Very Happy

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by hodge Tue 30 Aug 2011, 9:42 pm

well have got tickets now Very Happy

hodge

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Thu 01 Sep 2011, 4:45 pm

Looks like we are throwing away our chances in the CC aswell in this game aginst Hampshire. At least Lancs have lost. Only hope is that Durham draw with Sussex and Yorks beat Warwickshire, but it is unlikely.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by hodge Sun 04 Sep 2011, 9:25 pm

ITS ON! Somerset Vs Surrey

In the field Somerset again looked very good and had alot of energy about them and enthusiasm. Bowled well, spinners were a bit expensive however my main problem with our bowling attack WHY NO LEWIS GREGORY!?! to me it looked like Alfonso didn't want to use him at all when he's been one of our best bowlers in this format.

We proved to that we dont need Tres at the top of the order (despite being a big help!) Suppiah batted very well and a good outing from Jones as well, another one out of the Somerset acadamy. Trego steady again and has been underrated this season for me with the bat. Didn't really need Buttler or Meschede.

Surrey will be a much harder opposition, we need to get this mental block about finals out of the teams head. With the return of Kieswetter the batting is strengthend, is 13 days enough for Tres to get better and have so painkillers? he didn't rule himself out on commentary. Could Nick Compton also return? I'm not sure how long he is out for

Predicted team (no Tres):

1) Kieswetter (w)
2) Suppiah
3) Trego
4) Hildreth
5) Meschede
6) Buttler
7) Gregory
8) Kartik
9) Thomas (c)
10) Kirby
11) Dockrell

If Tres and Compton both fit then I would imagine Dockrell and Suppiah would both miss out

hodge

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Sun 04 Sep 2011, 11:15 pm

I would imagine that Gregory might also miss out for Tres if he is fit, with Arul batting 7. I don't like our chances against Surrey though. Our spinners need to bowl exceptionally well to restrict that powerful Surrey batting line up and they will be key. Hopefully the pitch will have some life in it which might favour us, especially if Som bat first and get a big score with the pressure on Surrey under lights!

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by hodge Sun 04 Sep 2011, 11:33 pm

If Tres is fit I would imagine Gregory would play as under Tres he's used as one of the main seamers, today Thomas used Meschede and Trego alot more without giving Gregory one over.

I'm not sure what Somerset would rather do, depends on the weather I reckon, if theres a chance of rain we will bowl first wanting to know DL score

hodge

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down