The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Carl Froch comments on Andre Ward

+9
OasisBFC
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
BALTIMORA
eddyfightfan
Super D Boon
JACKMAGIC
Rowley
88Chris05
Steffan
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Carl Froch comments on Andre Ward Empty Carl Froch comments on Andre Ward

Post by Steffan Thu 25 Aug 2011, 12:47 pm

Im sure many of you have read them on BBC Sport

"I have not been impressed with Andre and his level of opposition"

"He's fought good fighters but not at the level where we are now"

"He has no power whatsoever"

"Sure, his hand-speed is fast but even he'll tell you he's not as fast as Andre Dirrell and I handled Dirrell quite easily"

Here is the video interview with Froch where he referes to Ward as "a dirty fighter" who "will try to run and hold"

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/boxing/14624171.stm

Froch certainly does not rate Ward at all and is confident going into this match up

Could that be his undoing though

Regards

Steffan

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Carl Froch comments on Andre Ward Empty Re: Carl Froch comments on Andre Ward

Post by 88Chris05 Thu 25 Aug 2011, 12:51 pm

Have to admit that I'm worried about the possibility of Froch going in to this fight with a 'he can't hurt me' mentality. If he truly does believe that, it could be his undoing. However, I reckon that Froch knows that Ward's abilities are considerable. As Ward himself said, it's Froch's job in a sense to talk as if his opponent is no real threat.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 25 Aug 2011, 12:53 pm

Is a difficult one to call becaue obviously the name that leaps of the page when looking at their respective records is Kessler and goes without saying that Andre got much the better result in that one, however in that one and in the super six generally you would have to say things have been pretty agreeable for Andre, all hone fixtures and with the withdrawals from the super six his draw post Kessler has not been too taxing.

Personally I think with the prize of winning the super six so close would not think either fighter will come in at less than 100% and Carl underestimating him is unlikely to be a problem

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by JACKMAGIC Thu 25 Aug 2011, 1:24 pm

I seriously doubt that Froch will be taking Ward lightly. As Rowley pointed out there will be the issue of the Kessler fights they have shared. I think that essentially saying that Ward can't hurt him is just an attempt to goad Ward into a tear up style fight which is where Froch will have the best chance of winning. If ward relies on his boxing skills then I think Froch knows he could be in trouble. Badly want Froch to win though!

JACKMAGIC

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Thu 25 Aug 2011, 3:01 pm

The bit about handling Direll "quite easily" is the kind of remark that makes me dislike Froch intensely. Just as when he gave himself "an A+ for that performance". It's okay being confident but it's his sheer arrogance that's the turn off.

Can't stand Ward either so hopefully they'll both knock each other out.

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Thu 25 Aug 2011, 3:02 pm

i genuinely think ward cannot hurt froch. he has had his chin tested by bigger punches and ward isnt known for his power anyway. that doesnt mean he will have it easy, as pinning ward down will be the hard bit.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Thu 25 Aug 2011, 3:03 pm

Conversely though Super D, we can hardly expect him to say "yeah, I struggled with a bit of speed". It's not like Dirrell was simply being evasive, he was turning his back and running away.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Thu 25 Aug 2011, 4:06 pm

Ward can hurt Froch with his head charges and shoulder slams. He roughs up his opponents. The gloved parts of his anatomy won't bother Froch though. A lot depends on how dirty the referee allows Ward to be. I see Froch giving back the juicy stuff but he'll be the one that gets penalised for it.

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Thu 25 Aug 2011, 10:16 pm

When did he deal with Dirrell comfortably that was close. Jonson caught Froch with his big rights easily and too comfortably. While I don't expect Ward to stand in front of Froch like Jonson did Froch has a very lazy left hand and Wards speed is the key imo. If he throws the right hook and consistently lands like Jonson he wins comfortably for me.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by OasisBFC Sun 28 Aug 2011, 10:54 am

come on, its all talk.
of course he rates ward.

in other interviews he openly states ward is the best fighter in the s6 along with him. and froch would be unbeaten if it wasnt for kessler - as would kessler if it wasnt for ward.

OasisBFC

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Sun 28 Aug 2011, 10:56 am

OasisBFC wrote:come on, its all talk.
of course he rates ward.

in other interviews he openly states ward is the best fighter in the s6 along with him. and froch would be unbeaten if it wasnt for kessler - as would kessler if it wasnt for ward.

And Calzaghe.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Waingro Sun 28 Aug 2011, 12:22 pm

lol Froch also said he thought it would be him and Ward in the fighter coz they were the 2 best fighters he obviously rates Ward but knows he can beat him. I think Froch will destroy Ward he has too much power.

Waingro

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sun 28 Aug 2011, 12:31 pm

I'm not sure Froch is that much of a big hitter that Ward will be too worried about his power. Kessler is a bigger hitter than Froch.

SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Sun 28 Aug 2011, 1:07 pm

prettyboykev wrote:I'm not sure Froch is that much of a big hitter that Ward will be too worried about his power. Kessler is a bigger hitter than Froch.

I don't think there's much in it. They both looked a bit bust up when they fought.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sun 28 Aug 2011, 1:23 pm

BALTIMORA wrote:
prettyboykev wrote:I'm not sure Froch is that much of a big hitter that Ward will be too worried about his power. Kessler is a bigger hitter than Froch.

I don't think there's much in it. They both looked a bit bust up when they fought.

Their isn't although I would favour the Dane in the power stakes. It was more directed at Waingro who felt Froch's power was the key for him winning the fight. I feel Froch needs to make this an ugly fight because at distance Wards speed could be crucial whereas I'm not sure he's as effective on the inside. The way Jonson caught Froch with his right hand so frequently worries me as they were big slow clubbing shots that Froch should have seen coming especially after the first 3 or 4. If he is open to that I expect Ward to exploit it because he will have seen it and will be looking for it.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Sun 28 Aug 2011, 1:37 pm

prettyboykev wrote:
BALTIMORA wrote:

Their isn't although I would favour the Dane in the power stakes. It was more directed at Waingro who felt Froch's power was the key for him winning the fight. I feel Froch needs to make this an ugly fight because at distance Wards speed could be crucial whereas I'm not sure he's as effective on the inside. The way Jonson caught Froch with his right hand so frequently worries me as they were big slow clubbing shots that Froch should have seen coming especially after the first 3 or 4. If he is open to that I expect Ward to exploit it because he will have seen it and will be looking for it.

I think Kessler is a bit more snappy with his punches, whereas Froch seems to go for the big wallop. I'm not sure turning it into an ugly fight will be the best thing. Bika did that and still lost. Ward seems to be too comfortable in an ugly fight. Against Kessler, Green and Bika Ward relied on smothering, ugly in-fighting and holding. I'd like to see Froch control range with his reach advantage, and be prepared for Ward when he tries to come inside. There's no reason Froch shouldn't be able to use his jab to good effect, but that'll depend on Ward's ability to get inside it and inevitably use his head.

Interestingly and a little disappointing too, Froch is reportedly making an issue of Ward's association with Victor Conte, although personally I think this is a mix of distraction tactics and the current topic of the moment.

http://www.worldboxingnews.net/2011/08/froch-upset-at-ward-conte-link-wants.html

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sun 28 Aug 2011, 1:44 pm

BALTIMORA wrote:
prettyboykev wrote:
BALTIMORA wrote:

I think Kessler is a bit more snappy with his punches, whereas Froch seems to go for the big wallop. I'm not sure turning it into an ugly fight will be the best thing. Bika did that and still lost. Ward seems to be too comfortable in an ugly fight. Against Kessler, Green and Bika Ward relied on smothering, ugly in-fighting and holding. I'd like to see Froch control range with his reach advantage, and be prepared for Ward when he tries to come inside. There's no reason Froch shouldn't be able to use his jab to good effect, but that'll depend on Ward's ability to get inside it and inevitably use his head.

Interestingly and a little disappointing too, Froch is reportedly making an issue of Ward's association with Victor Conte, although personally I think this is a mix of distraction tactics and the current topic of the moment.

http://www.worldboxingnews.net/2011/08/froch-upset-at-ward-conte-link-wants.html

It might just be mind games but if he it's true he should be getting tested.
My worry with Froch trying to control range is Wards hand speed. Froch has the longer reach but not by much and I think if he gets into a battle of the jabs Ward will land his quicker and more often.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Sun 28 Aug 2011, 1:53 pm

Kev I agree Froch can't expect Ward to be controlled as easily as Abraham was. My main concern is that Ward will want to fight in his usual style of jab-head-hold. It's not simply that it's unattractive to watch. It's just not what boxing is about, in my opinion.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sun 28 Aug 2011, 2:06 pm

It's not but it's worked for him so far so I don't see why he would change. Like Froch says if he wants to get dirty then Froch will need to get dirty. I don't think this fight will be a classic probably more of a disappointment which will be fitting for a tournament that started out with so much potential but has somewhat petered out.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Sun 28 Aug 2011, 2:15 pm

prettyboykev wrote:It's not but it's worked for him so far so I don't see why he would change. Like Froch says if he wants to get dirty then Froch will need to get dirty. I don't think this fight will be a classic probably more of a disappointment which will be fitting for a tournament that started out with so much potential but has somewhat petered out.

I think you're pretty spot on there. We've seen in the Dirrell fight that Froch isn't afraid to play rough if need be, and Ward hasn't had an entertaining fight in this tournament yet. Unless Ward really does a number on him I can't see Froch giving up until the final bell, 'cause we know he has heart. Ward on the other hand brings the confidence of being unbeaten and having pretty much walked things so far. I wonder though how much heart Ward has if a fight doesn't go his way, because he seemed just a little taken aback when Bika gave him a taste of his own medicine.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sun 28 Aug 2011, 2:28 pm

BALTIMORA wrote:
prettyboykev wrote:It's not but it's worked for him so far so I don't see why he would change. Like Froch says if he wants to get dirty then Froch will need to get dirty. I don't think this fight will be a classic probably more of a disappointment which will be fitting for a tournament that started out with so much potential but has somewhat petered out.

I think you're pretty spot on there. We've seen in the Dirrell fight that Froch isn't afraid to play rough if need be, and Ward hasn't had an entertaining fight in this tournament yet. Unless Ward really does a number on him I can't see Froch giving up until the final bell, 'cause we know he has heart. Ward on the other hand brings the confidence of being unbeaten and having pretty much walked things so far. I wonder though how much heart Ward has if a fight doesn't go his way, because he seemed just a little taken aback when Bika gave him a taste of his own medicine.

I was a bit disappointed with Kessler in that way. I was screaming at my TV for him to rough the dirty bar steward up a bit more. Like you said Bika did do it to him and he never liked it and I hope Froch does the same. Ward is skilful and has the hand speed that could worry Froch but he's a spoiling kind of fighter which are awful to watch. Another thing is Froch being 34 and having had the much tougher journey to this point their may come a time where Father time catches up but I think he has a few more in him yet.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Sun 28 Aug 2011, 2:41 pm

Yeah, in the interview after the fight Kessler just seemed to have been too naïve. I think he's too much of a nice guy, and perhaps that comes from not fighting abroad too much, I don't know. I'm hoping Froch proves too strong for Ward to be able to smother effectively, and too aggressive to allow Ward to get away with murder.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sun 28 Aug 2011, 3:05 pm

I was surprised to see he hs only fought outside Denmark 5 times in 46 fights. One was in Vegas early in his career and the others were Calzaghe in Wales, Ward in California, Mundine in Australia and Haussler in Germany. Sieglitz is travelling to Denmark to defend his title as well.

Regardless of the outcome of Ward-Froch this isn't good for Froch with Kessler and Bute looking like they won't travel.

I've got a feeling Froch's first fight after the s6 might be against Brian Magee who holds an interim title.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 28 Aug 2011, 4:40 pm

Not sure on that, think Froch will know that if he takes a backward step people will hound him even after all the great fights he's recently fought because it stands out as a drop in class. He will want Bute badly as well I reckon.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sun 28 Aug 2011, 4:56 pm

I don't think Bute wants any part of Froch, Ward or Kessler think he's happy fighting in Canada against guys he knows he'll beat and every once in a while in Romania.

Froch is desperate to fight in Britain again and I don't see any of the top guys coming over here.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 28 Aug 2011, 4:58 pm

Think he'll pursue he Bute fight, let's be fair to Bute, he went after Kessler and Kessler decided to turn him down so I think he has some ambition personally, cannot for the life of me see as to why some people have him rated as No. 1 in the division though, he hasn't beaten anyone major!

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Sun 28 Aug 2011, 5:00 pm

I think either way, win or lose, after the S6 final Froch will look to have a stay-busy fight that presents a moderate challenge but nothing more. I also think he'd be entitled to it after his recent run.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 28 Aug 2011, 5:03 pm

i think he'd be entitled but so many will jump down his throat for not facing Bute.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sun 28 Aug 2011, 5:17 pm

Bute doesn't want any of the top guys he's making good easy money why would he risk that? He could have been in the s6 but said no then he got offered Kessler in America and said no.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 28 Aug 2011, 5:22 pm

Not true Kev, it was a contractual thing that he wasn't able to be in the S6, though he wanted to be, I heard that he offered Kessler a shot and Kessler said no?
Why would he want the big guys? For the massive pay days.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Sun 28 Aug 2011, 5:29 pm

AlexHuckerby wrote:i think he'd be entitled but so many will jump down his throat for not facing Bute.

I don't think many would criticise Froch if he were to take a soft touch after his last half dozen or so fights. If he was to procrastinate and fight bum after bum, THEN he'd be open to criticism.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 28 Aug 2011, 5:38 pm

Not many people in the know, but there's lots of muppets that will jump to criticise, same way people did to Mayweather fighting Marquez and Mosley who in my opinion were quality opponents, just shadowed by the fact that there was a bigger name out there in MP.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sun 28 Aug 2011, 5:52 pm

AlexHuckerby wrote:Not true Kev, it was a contractual thing that he wasn't able to be in the S6, though he wanted to be, I heard that he offered Kessler a shot and Kessler said no?
Why would he want the big guys? For the massive pay days.

What was the contractual dispute because e is signed up by showtime? Dan Rafael amongst others reported he knocked it back and the same with the Kessler fight. Kessler apparently said he wouldn't do it in Canada.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 28 Aug 2011, 5:57 pm

I'm unsure of the details I'd need to clarify it but I read that there was some form of dispute that didn't allow him to do the S6 Tournament, unsure as to whether Kessler wanted to fight in America, if he did and Bute said no then I stand corrected, what does he think the worst is going to happen to him if he steps foot outside his own yard, he might want to try and get a big American fan base going considering his clear talent?

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sun 28 Aug 2011, 6:00 pm

I think he would fight in America but maybe he would like one or two gimme fights in the States before taking a chance. Like you I think he is very talented I think he would be very tough for anyone at 168lbs as he's probably the most well rounded boxer out of the lot of them.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 28 Aug 2011, 6:24 pm

Let's say hypothetically Ward beats Froch and then the big showdown for Ward Bute is in motion - where in Gods name would they fight? I think they'd fight 6 rounds in Ward's backyard then go back to Canada for the last 6!

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sun 28 Aug 2011, 6:28 pm

4 inches is a fairly sizeable reach advantage especially for a super middleweight, if he gets the snap behind his jab and follows it up with combos to head and body I fully expect Froch to break Wards resolve.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Sun 28 Aug 2011, 6:30 pm

AlexHuckerby wrote:Let's say hypothetically Ward beats Froch and then the big showdown for Ward Bute is in motion - where in Gods name would they fight? I think they'd fight 6 rounds in Ward's backyard then go back to Canada for the last 6!

Ward would have two belts, Bute can actually fill seats. Tough call.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sun 28 Aug 2011, 6:34 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:4 inches is a fairly sizeable reach advantage especially for a super middleweight, if he gets the snap behind his jab and follows it up with combos to head and body I fully expect Froch to break Wards resolve.

Is it 4 inches I thought it was 2. Boxrec have it as 4 though. It is a decent advantage but may be cancelled out with Wards speed.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sun 28 Aug 2011, 6:36 pm

See it the other way myself, Froch's jab neutralising Wards speed which I think is fairly over rated, he's spoken about as a slick boxer but I just don't see it.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 28 Aug 2011, 6:38 pm

Think it will actually be Frochs most boring fight to date in honesty... (Cynical I know) Froch will need to be prepared for the inside game, say what you want about him being dirty on the inside, but he made Green look so bad on the inside (Not that he's the greatest technical boxer that has ever lived) Froch moves and controls range in the way he did against AA he could do it, but this is a far tougher challenge than AA...

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Sun 28 Aug 2011, 6:44 pm

prettyboykev wrote:
Imperial Ghosty wrote:4 inches is a fairly sizeable reach advantage especially for a super middleweight, if he gets the snap behind his jab and follows it up with combos to head and body I fully expect Froch to break Wards resolve.

Is it 4 inches I thought it was 2. Boxrec have it as 4 though. It is a decent advantage but may be cancelled out with Wards speed.

Boxrec have it as four inches based on fingertip-to-fingertip, I believe. So, a couple inches per arm, assuming they're the same width from armpit to armpit. I think.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sun 28 Aug 2011, 6:59 pm

Reach is always determined by wingspan rather than just arm length.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sun 28 Aug 2011, 7:02 pm

4 inches isn't much then because Froch is a bit broader at the shoulders than Ward.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Sun 28 Aug 2011, 7:32 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:Reach is always determined by wingspan rather than just arm length.

It's not always presented the same way in the stats though.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sun 28 Aug 2011, 7:33 pm

Tale of the tape always uses wingspan.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Sun 28 Aug 2011, 7:46 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:Tale of the tape always uses wingspan.

I could be wrong but I think some fights on HBO have taken the measurement from armpit or shoulder to the tip of the knuckles of a clenched fist.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sun 28 Aug 2011, 7:54 pm

You could well be right on that actually

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 28 Aug 2011, 7:59 pm

BALTIMORA wrote:
Imperial Ghosty wrote:Tale of the tape always uses wingspan.

I could be wrong but I think some fights on HBO have taken the measurement from armpit or shoulder to the tip of the knuckles of a clenched fist.

I could be wrong but I think that was in the earlier days of HBO, I think they do wingspan now, don't quote me on this though!

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Sun 28 Aug 2011, 8:02 pm

BALTIMORA wrote:
AlexHuckerby wrote:Let's say hypothetically Ward beats Froch and then the big showdown for Ward Bute is in motion - where in Gods name would they fight? I think they'd fight 6 rounds in Ward's backyard then go back to Canada for the last 6!

Ward would have two belts, Bute can actually fill seats. Tough call.

Have always maintained that this fight won't happen. Ward if he wins S6 will be universally regarded as the top dog including the Ring Magazine and hold two belts so won't fancy risking it. He will move up the scales and target BHop or Dawson whilst Bute will continue to rake it in fighting janitors and refuse collectors.

That's my take on it anyway. OK

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next