The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

British top 50

+2
AlexHuckerby
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
6 posters

Go down

British top 50 Empty British top 50

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sat 27 Aug 2011, 7:13 pm

With the domestic boxing season under way I thought I would compile a top 50 of British boxers with the intent on editing the list on a weekly basis the same as the rankings you would see in various publications and just about every boxing website.

My word isn't final on this I will go with the view of the majority and am open to editing the list as of now. If you feel I have missed anyone out please let me know.

Only 2 rules really all fighters need to be British and inactivity for over a year will mean a fighter is ineligible for the rankings.

Their was no movement in the rankings after the weekend. McDonnell doesn't justify being moved up just by beating Hall and Hall shouldn't be moved down for losing to a Euro level fighter.

This weeks domestic fights fights are:

Commonwealth title
Obodai Sai vs Jamie Cox

Paul McCloskey vs Breidis Prescott

Vacant Commonwealth title
Carl Frampton vs Mark Quon?????

1) Carl Froch
2) Amir Khan
3) David Haye
4) Ricky Burns
5) Matthew Macklin
6) Kell Brook
7) Nathan Cleverly
8) Darren Barker
9) Matthew Hatton
10) Ryan Rhodes
11) Rendall Munroe
12) Kevin Mitchell
13) Ola Afolabi
14) Brian Magee
15) Paul McCloskey
16) John Murray
17) Jamie McDonnell
18) Gavin Rees
19) Enzo Maccaranelli
20) Danny McIntosh
21) Ashley Theophane
22) George Groves
23) Jason Booth
24) James De Gale
25) Tyson Fury
26) Dereck Chisora
27) Stephen Smith
28) Tony Bellew
29) Anthony Crolla
30) John Simpson
31) Martin Murray
32) Stuart Hall
33) Gary Sykes
34) Lee Purdy
35) Prince Aarron
36) Lee Haskins
37) Martin Lindsay
38) Craig McEwan
39) Lee McAllister
40) Denton Vassell
41) John O'Donnell
42) Liam Walsh
43) Scott Quigg
44) Lenny Daws
45) Gary Buckland
46) Frankie Gavin
47) Billy Joe Saunders
48) Karl Place
49) Jamie Cox
50) Carl Frampton

Last edited by prettyboykev on Tue 06 Sep 2011, 9:16 pm; edited 6 times in total
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

British top 50 Empty Re: British top 50

Post by AlexHuckerby Sat 27 Aug 2011, 7:22 pm

Would maybe drop Macklin down a couple but generally I can't disagree think Kell will truly join the elite, he really is Special K. :P

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sat 27 Aug 2011, 7:24 pm

Macklin is so high because I felt he beat a world class performer in Sturm which no one below him can really make a claim to have done yet. I agree with you on Brook he is something special.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sat 27 Aug 2011, 7:28 pm

Fair enough, I felt he nicked that aswell but for me would rate him just under Cleverly for the time being.
Kell will be the next big British fighter, going out on a limb.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sat 27 Aug 2011, 10:26 pm

Not sure that's going out on a limb. Seems a bit like predicting the next pope will be catholic.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sat 27 Aug 2011, 10:33 pm

Meh not really you could make cases for Degale - Groves - Billy Joe Saunders - Cleverly even Burns. Also you could predict given a bit of a tough division he isn't good enough.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sat 27 Aug 2011, 10:41 pm

You could make cases but you know yourself as good as they all look (with the exception of Cleverly and Burns who I don't rate) Kell is very special.

Outside Mayweather and Pacquiao I would back Kell to beat anyone at 147lbs.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sat 27 Aug 2011, 10:51 pm

Over Berto and Ortiz?

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sat 27 Aug 2011, 10:58 pm

Aside from his win over Berto who himself is pretty unproven what has Ortiz done? Quit against Maidana was rotten against Peterson and got a one sided decision over an old man in Nate Campbell.

I never watched Berto or Ortiz and felt they were anything special.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sat 27 Aug 2011, 11:03 pm

Hm, perhaps would be tough fights though... what about when Khan moves up to Welter?

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sat 27 Aug 2011, 11:05 pm

I would pick Khan to beat Berto and Ortiz comfortably. With Brook it's hard to judge. Brook is more of a Nas like natural talent where as I think Khan is a very well trained boxer.

Right now I would pick Khan depending on how he takes to moving up in weight.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by paperbag_puncher Sat 27 Aug 2011, 11:11 pm

prettyboykev wrote:Aside from his win over Berto who himself is pretty unproven what has Ortiz done? Quit against Maidana was rotten against Peterson and got a one sided decision over an old man in Nate Campbell.

What has Brook done that would put him ahead of an Ortiz? Guys like Peterson, Campbell and Berto are miles ahead of the opposition that Brook's faced to date. He's a year older as well. Would wanna get his skates on and fight someone credible soon.

paperbag_puncher

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sat 27 Aug 2011, 11:11 pm

Just not sure about Khan. Just still get the feeling if he comes up against someone who is a live opponent and can dig will he drop? He didn't against Maidana, but just feel he is a bit of an accident waiting to happen.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sat 27 Aug 2011, 11:14 pm

paperbag_puncher wrote:
prettyboykev wrote:Aside from his win over Berto who himself is pretty unproven what has Ortiz done? Quit against Maidana was rotten against Peterson and got a one sided decision over an old man in Nate Campbell.

What has Brook done that would put him ahead of an Ortiz? Guys like Peterson, Campbell and Berto are miles ahead of the opposition that Brook's faced to date. He's a year older as well. Would wanna get his skates on and fight someone credible soon.

I'm not saying Brook has done more but you can't say they guys look more talented. I think Brook won't struggle with the step up in class I think he will get better because he was getting frustrated and their were rumours he had started slacking in training. Like I said I've never been that impressed with Ortiz or Berto.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sat 27 Aug 2011, 11:15 pm

AlexHuckerby wrote:Just not sure about Khan. Just still get the feeling if he comes up against someone who is a live opponent and can dig will he drop? He didn't against Maidana, but just feel he is a bit of an accident waiting to happen.

I like Khan but I think his indiscipline may cost him at some point. He should have boxed maidana's ears off instead of being like Bambi on ice in the 10th round.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sat 27 Aug 2011, 11:18 pm

Kell is so talented and incredibly difficult to solve. Solving Brook for me is in a way like solving FMJ. Not as good or as difficult but a hell of a tricky customer.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sat 27 Aug 2011, 11:19 pm

He has that style that will give most fighters nightmares. I don't understand why Warren held him back he could have made a fortune.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sat 27 Aug 2011, 11:21 pm

Warren should have a handle on his head, because he's a mug

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by paperbag_puncher Sat 27 Aug 2011, 11:21 pm

prettyboykev wrote:
paperbag_puncher wrote:

I'm not saying Brook has done more but you can't say they guys look more talented. I think Brook won't struggle with the step up in class I think he will get better because he was getting frustrated and their were rumours he had started slacking in training. Like I said I've never been that impressed with Ortiz or Berto.

I guess we'll only know when he takes that step up. With all due respect to him its easy to look talented against the guys hes faced.

paperbag_puncher

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sat 27 Aug 2011, 11:23 pm

paperbag_puncher wrote:
prettyboykev wrote:
paperbag_puncher wrote:

I guess we'll only know when he takes that step up. With all due respect to him its easy to look talented against the guys hes faced.

Not sure it's easy to look like you have his talents. It may be easy to look good but Kell has always looked a bit special.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sat 27 Aug 2011, 11:33 pm

He fought a tough Kevin Mcintyre, in which most people thought he would have a very tough night in, however he blew him away in emphatic fashion. Michael Lomax looked like a very tough nights work as he was a very respectable domestic fighter, however Brook impressed again and beat him in 3 rounds. He fought Bienias, a guy who had only been stopped once and had been in against decent Euro level opposition, again Brook impressed and scored a 6 round knockout. He then fought Michael Jennings, a guy who had fought at World Level, granted was beaten by Miguel Cotto (No shame in that) but had flirted with World level opposition and was more than a respectable opponent, Brook won this due to a cut in the 5th. He then fought Philip Kotey a tough guy who had been in with tough level of opposition and had a decent winning record, Brook impressed again by knocking him out in 2. Then faced N'Dou facing a guy who had never been stopped was known as a serious hard man, he won in a very one sided points decision against a guy who had been against top top fighters. Hardly tomato cans

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sat 27 Aug 2011, 11:45 pm

He's pretty much strolled through the domestic and European scene and even held one of those awful inter-continental belts. The only fighter who has done that in as impressive a manner that I can remember is Nas.

Comparing him to Nas is unfair because Nas was so talented it was scary but then again he's put up with that comparison since very early on in his career and for a lad from Sheffield who idolises Nas that can't be easy.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sat 27 Aug 2011, 11:47 pm

Same gym and everything

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by paperbag_puncher Sun 28 Aug 2011, 12:07 am

Fair enough points but I won't regard him as highly until he takes that step up. In fairness you cant dismiss Nate Campbell as a credible opponent and then hold up N'Dou as a tough test. He was like 40 and hadn't much left to trouble Brook other than his chin.

paperbag_puncher

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 28 Aug 2011, 12:16 am

Probably wasn't as past it as Campbell was to be fair. But still a tough guy that doesn't stop coming.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by paperbag_puncher Sun 28 Aug 2011, 12:29 am

AlexHuckerby wrote:Probably wasn't as past it as Campbell was to be fair. But still a tough guy that doesn't stop coming.

I dunno Campbell had won his last 5 before being head butted into submission by Bradley. Whereas N'Dou had only won 3 outta his last 9. Tough bloke but not exactly in the habit of winning.

paperbag_puncher

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sun 28 Aug 2011, 12:41 am

N'Dou's defeats were to Alvarez, Cintron and twice to Malignaggi though which was tougher than the level Campbell was fighting at.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by paperbag_puncher Sun 28 Aug 2011, 12:57 am

We're splitting hairs here they were both past their best. I'd rate Campbell as a better win though. Ortiz to me has achieved more at this point. If Brook steps up and wins then I'll get excited seems in no rush though..

paperbag_puncher

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sun 28 Aug 2011, 1:09 am

I wouldn't argue Ortiz has achieved more purely because of his win over Berto. I think he is in a rush he had a contract dispute with Warren. Basically he didn't want to sign a new contract so Warren left him to rot. Hopefully now he's with Matchroom hopefully he will be more active and at a higher level although his next fight is nothing special.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 28 Aug 2011, 2:15 am

I like Hearns think they're good for boxing. Warren just does the same old tricks everytime.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam_Main Sun 28 Aug 2011, 3:59 pm

Very good list, if i'm being harsh I would say Walsh should be higher McAllister ans Groves and Degale a little to low.
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000094431208

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sun 28 Aug 2011, 4:07 pm

Groves and DeGale are low because everyone above them is at European level or above.

Where would you rank McAllister and Walsh it has to be in line with the level they are competing at though.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon 29 Aug 2011, 10:53 pm

This is going down like Gary Glitter at a kids party.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Tue 30 Aug 2011, 9:21 pm

think if froch loses to ward then he should slip below amir khan, however i think he might win.

good list and good idea, think david price and mike perez may need adding, and would probably swap hatton and rhodes, he lasted the 12 with alvarez and has had a win since. has enzo been active in the last year?

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue 30 Aug 2011, 10:17 pm

Froch's last 6 fights imo would keep him above Khan until Khan beat a top fighter. Perez is fighting out of Southern Ireland so not British and Price would be getting added when Enzo is inactive for a year in a few weeks.

Took the point on board about Hatton and Rhodes and changing it now.

See the democracy works Gadafi should have been more like me and he wouldn't be living in a cave now. Very Happy
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Tue 30 Aug 2011, 10:35 pm

it would be his second loss in the super 6 though, depends who khan fights i suppose- i would like to see him against matteysse, not so much against morales. but wouldnt argue too much about it really. shame about perez i think he will do well if he gets the right fights.

i hear gadafi is hiding at floyd mayweathers house with him and 50 cent, hes the peace keeper at the gym.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue 30 Aug 2011, 10:41 pm

Better chance of finding Gaddafi their than Floyd Snr the crazy old crack head.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon 05 Sep 2011, 10:25 pm

Looking for a prospect to place on the list as Maccaranelli has been inactive for almost a year so will be removed as he has nothing lined up.

Any ideas?
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Mon 05 Sep 2011, 10:27 pm

Galahad, Place.

McDermott should maybe still be there.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon 05 Sep 2011, 10:33 pm

I've not seen much of Galahad is he good?

Place is an excellent shout I forgot about him.

McDermott I wasn't sure about not even good enough for British level tbh.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Mon 05 Sep 2011, 10:38 pm

Wasn't Larry one of the Sky 11 for 2011? Maybe not. Dunno, McDermott is decent but I can see why you wouldn't want him up there.

Galahad I'm not sure I've seen. If I remember right he was supposed to be on McCloskey Khan undercard but didn't fight for some reason.

Having Gavin so low is crazy. I think Enzo/McIntosh are too high too.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon 05 Sep 2011, 11:02 pm

I think your right about Larry probably a Nelson pick the guy picked Kell Brook as his fighter of the last season!

I tried to rank the fighters alongside the level they were fighting at. McIntosh lost his European title to a good fighter in Gutknecht in Germany.

Gavin I struggled with because he is still a prospect but wasn't sure whether to take his amateur credentials into it. His last 2 performances have been well below what they should have been as well.
I'm open to change where would you put him?
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Mon 05 Sep 2011, 11:07 pm

Dunno, I was just doing it on looks, haven't thought in detail about it to be honest. Just throwing a few names at you because you asked. Probably somewhere around the 30 mark.

Looking at it there's quite a few changes I'd make, not that I'm having a go, it's subjective and small margins. I don't think Simpson is that far behind world level considering his losses have been mainly controversial. I'll have a look at doing a list myself tomorrow.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon 05 Sep 2011, 11:13 pm

No bother mate like I said I'm open to change.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down