The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is why I love connors, and what are your thoughts are today's rivalries soft?

+9
legendkillar
bogbrush
hawkeye
JuliusHMarx
newballs
Danny_1982
Simple_Analyst
yummymummy
socal1976
13 posters

Go down

This is why I love connors, and what are your thoughts are today's rivalries soft? Empty This is why I love connors, and what are your thoughts are today's rivalries soft?

Post by socal1976 Tue 30 Aug 2011, 6:39 pm

So how do these latest rivalries stack up against their predecessors? According to Connors, today's competitors seem "soft" compared to those of his day. "There was nothing quiet about our rivalry. And we weren't afraid for people to know it," Connors said earlier this summer, highlighting the personal antagonism that existed between him and McEnroe. "When we walked out onto the court, the tennis was almost secondary. It was true and it was deep.

"I would have played him on crutches."

It was Connors who famously vowed after a loss to Borg, "I'll follow that SOB to the ends of the Earth," a sentiment that is hard to see ever being expressed by, say, Nadal, even after his recent string of losses to Djokovic.

http://espn.go.com/tennis/usopen11/story/_/id/6906447/us-open-novak-djokovic-rafael-nadal-roger-federer-maintain-fierce-rivalry

Are today's rivalries as good or better. Doesn't seem like being in his mid 50s has mellowed James to much. God he is such a beautiful A hole. Today's rivalries are helped by the current schedule which requires the top guys to play each other more often than was common in the borg, connors, and mac days. Lendl to was another guy that added a lot of animosity to the rivalries of that period.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

This is why I love connors, and what are your thoughts are today's rivalries soft? Empty Re: This is why I love connors, and what are your thoughts are today's rivalries soft?

Post by yummymummy Tue 30 Aug 2011, 6:42 pm

Lendl was a scary person - he reminded me of a skeleton - and

his on court persona was just about as thrilling!

Give me Mac any day !

yummymummy

Back to top Go down

This is why I love connors, and what are your thoughts are today's rivalries soft? Empty Re: This is why I love connors, and what are your thoughts are today's rivalries soft?

Post by socal1976 Tue 30 Aug 2011, 6:45 pm

yummymummy wrote:Lendl was a scary person - he reminded me of a skeleton - and

his on court persona was just about as thrilling!

Give me Mac any day !

Have to agree I loathed lendl when he was playing but came to respect him and like him more after he stopped playing. I was always a connors man and got to like Mac towards the end of his career. For me those guys both had more charisma and fire than we see from the current champs. Out of Fed, Nadal, and Djoko I think Novak has the more outgoing personality and is a little more forceful.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by yummymummy Tue 30 Aug 2011, 6:48 pm

Unfortunately the tennis *stars* of today lack the character

of the 70/80s stars socal .

Big Money has stifled Big Personalities as far as I'm concerned !

yummymummy

Back to top Go down

Post by Simple_Analyst Tue 30 Aug 2011, 6:50 pm

Nadal has beaten Djokovic 16 times already, he won't want to follow end of the earth lol. Tennis has an image of respect about it now it's an individual sport so bad blood rivalries wouldn't come across as nicely. A team sport is better for such or trash talking sport like boxing. Imagine Nadal telling Federer on court across the net ; I own you or Djokovic shouting across to Nadal, 5-0 2011. Would you want that?

Simple_Analyst

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Tue 30 Aug 2011, 6:53 pm

Have to agree with yummy, the corporate and commercial nature of the modern game has taken out some of the public fire of these players as all of them seem to prefer good PR so they can be more effective corporate pitchmen.

SA, I like today's guys but they really don't compare in terms of personality and fire in their rivalries like the 70s and 80s. I think Novak and Roger have that bit of hate in their rivalry, they don't like each other no matter how nice they play in public. Again I think it has a lot to do with money and public relations.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by yummymummy Tue 30 Aug 2011, 6:55 pm

Big Bucks Rule socal This is why I love connors, and what are your thoughts are today's rivalries soft? 291114

yummymummy

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Tue 30 Aug 2011, 8:32 pm

It would be nice to see a bit more intensity in the rivalries, but players know that it will not benefit their commercial appeal if they display anything other than total respect for their rivals.

Of the current top 4, Murray is by far the most 'unpolished' in terms of how he conducts himself. He swears, gets angry, screams at his box... And nobody ever says "great, someone showing their emotions". All you ever hear is criticism of the way he conducts himself.

Can you imagine if one of the top players took it up a notch and started trash talking about a rival? Look at how Djokovic was treated after he knocked Roddick out of the open a few years back and answered back to Roddick's criticism on the mike after the match. You'd think he'd robbed someone the way the crowd reacted. Granted, that was in Roddick's back yard but the truth is it would have been the same anywhere.

So some people (including me) may want a return to a time when rivalries were more fierce and players more honest and open about who they don't like... But the truth is the vast majority would frown upon it and the player would be committing commercial suicide.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by newballs Tue 30 Aug 2011, 8:35 pm

Connors was in all honesty a bit of an a-hole and Mac not far behind but boy did they make it box office stuff.

Most of today's players in comparison are the closest thing to watching paint dry. Come big Jimmy and John and show us how it was done properly.

newballs

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Tue 30 Aug 2011, 8:38 pm

OMG I agree with everything socal is saying, including the bit about being a Connors fan, but eventually warming to Lendl and Mac.
thumbsup

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Tue 30 Aug 2011, 8:57 pm

Danny_1982 wrote:It would be nice to see a bit more intensity in the rivalries, but players know that it will not benefit their commercial appeal if they display anything other than total respect for their rivals.

Of the current top 4, Murray is by far the most 'unpolished' in terms of how he conducts himself. He swears, gets angry, screams at his box... And nobody ever says "great, someone showing their emotions". All you ever hear is criticism of the way he conducts himself.

Can you imagine if one of the top players took it up a notch and started trash talking about a rival? Look at how Djokovic was treated after he knocked Roddick out of the open a few years back and answered back to Roddick's criticism on the mike after the match. You'd think he'd robbed someone the way the crowd reacted. Granted, that was in Roddick's back yard but the truth is it would have been the same anywhere.

So some people (including me) may want a return to a time when rivalries were more fierce and players more honest and open about who they don't like... But the truth is the vast majority would frown upon it and the player would be committing commercial suicide.

This is the bit I've never understood about Murray because thats excactly as I see him. Someone who would do anythiing for a win and has little respect for anyone. But all his fans try and sell him as a sweet misunderstood, butter wouldn't melt in his mouth, everyone loves him young boy. I will never understand the contradiction

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Tue 30 Aug 2011, 8:58 pm

Good article!!

Can anyone imagine Connors quitting in matches left, right and centre? No way, the guy was a fighter!!!!
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by yummymummy Tue 30 Aug 2011, 8:59 pm

hawkeye wrote:
Danny_1982 wrote:It would be nice to see a bit more intensity in the rivalries, but players know that it will not benefit their commercial appeal if they display anything other than total respect for their rivals.

This is the bit I've never understood about Murray because thats excactly as I see him. Someone who would do anythiing for a win and has little respect for anyone. But all his fans try and sell him as a sweet misunderstood, butter wouldn't melt in his mouth, everyone loves him young boy. I will never understand the contradiction

This is why I love connors, and what are your thoughts are today's rivalries soft? 1505004552

yummymummy

Back to top Go down

Post by yummymummy Tue 30 Aug 2011, 9:02 pm

What a load of twaddle hawkeye !

Murray is a talented and *natural* tennis player with a great

understanding of the game and has a way of working out his

opponents game and a lot of sheer talented shots !

yummymummy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 30 Aug 2011, 9:06 pm

I'm sure the Connors-Borg-Mac rivalries were pretty exciting...

but boy... don't they love reminding us.. enough is enough..

I mean JMac and Connors love to bring up their rivalry in just about every interview they conduct.

Yeah, yeah, we get it Jimbo and JMac.. you guys were the original bad boys..

You were so mean and bad you made Mike Tyson look like a cuddly toy..

You guys had soooo much character and fire and passion.. the stars of today pale in comparison...

We understand.. and we will forever pine for the 'good old days' when men were real men,

In fact we miss you so much that we wanna see you continue your deep hatred and rivalry even now that you are virtual geriatrics.. and i'm not just referring to the over 50's, but the younger fans too - afterall who'd wanna watch Fed-Rafa-Djoko when we can still watch you guys hobbling after drop shots at the Royal Albert Hall?

U see we're all so captivated and enthralled by your eternal antagonism.. the greatest rivalry that tennis, indeed sport, has ever seen.

You guys were so cool, spunky and individual, that the world should never forget the scorching intensity of your clashes..

There should be monuments in Trafalgar Square and billboards in Time Square commemorating those glory days.. lest we ever forget.

Heck, they should show mandatory clips of your encounters before every match, just to fire up the wannabes of today..

Blood, guts and glory - you had it all.

As for those people who say that you're just a couple of brash, cocky, uncultivated, egotistic, narcissistic, lime-light hugging, unabashed loud-mouths...

Someone get me a bucket.

vomit

ghost

emancipator - Give me the humility and class of Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic any day.

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Tue 30 Aug 2011, 9:17 pm

I wouldn't mind seeing players win ugly more. I certainly enjoyed Del Potro and Murray back in Rome in 2008. There is no harm in a bit of angst. Being p.issed off with your opponent isn't a lack of respect, but more of a sign of the inner demands you demand of yourself and how much of 'that' performance you give.

I don't mind the occasional Phuck you at the net than the gentleman handshake.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Tue 30 Aug 2011, 9:20 pm

yummymummy

So what sort of player is he. A killer, take no hostages win at all costs or a sweet, loved by everyone, its the taking part thats important variety? I'm confused by what I see on court and what he says in interviews and how he's portrayed by fans such as yourself.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Tue 30 Aug 2011, 9:27 pm

Jeez emancipator tell us how you really feel this time don't hold back. I am sorry as much as I am fan of Novak and the new generation of players for sheer star quality and charisma these guys don't really match up to the 80s guys, even the late 80s guys like Agassi or Becker. Maybe I am partial but I think Novak has some of the "it" factor the others had. Nadal is too humble, and fed is a bit too elegant and together to really fire up the antics off the court.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Positively 4th Street Tue 30 Aug 2011, 10:50 pm

I'm not sure Connors and McEnroe would go on like that if they were playing now, not to that extent anyway. A product of their era in some sense. I do quite like to see a bit of edge though.

Maybe if there was 2 top guys from the same place it would lend itself to it more. Didn't Henin and Cijsters have a bit of bad blood in their earlier years?

Positively 4th Street

Back to top Go down

Post by Positively 4th Street Tue 30 Aug 2011, 10:55 pm

socal1976 wrote:Maybe I am partial but I think Novak has some of the "it" factor the others had. Nadal is too humble, and fed is a bit too elegant and together to really fire up the antics off the court.

There is no 'maybe' about it socal! Don't see it myself. Found Agassi interesting, Safin and Goran too were characters.

Positively 4th Street

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Tue 30 Aug 2011, 10:56 pm

"
In fact we miss you so much that we wanna see you continue your deep hatred and rivalry even now that you are virtual geriatrics.. and i'm not just referring to the over 50's, but the younger fans too - afterall who'd wanna watch Fed-Rafa-Djoko when we can still watch you guys hobbling after drop shots at the Royal Albert Hall?"

Laugh Laugh Laugh

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Tue 30 Aug 2011, 10:58 pm

Nole not only posseses tons of fire, but also the guts to live it, I loved it when he stuck it up to the neurotic Arthur Ashe crowd 3 years ago....

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Tue 30 Aug 2011, 11:33 pm

I get a little weary also of the big rivalry talk. Borg always stands aloof, just as he always did.

Not quite sure where this "Toughguy Nole" thing is coming from, I find him very humble on the court and I think he has a slight junior thing going on with Federer that means even though he plays his guts out and is now passed him he still seems to look at him as the Daddy.

Not criticising Nole here, I think he's a genuinely a nice guy and not this streetfighter some like to project onto him.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Tue 30 Aug 2011, 11:33 pm

[quote="yummymummy"]
hawkeye wrote:

He's not misunderstood. He's an elite athlete. He's guarded around the media so people think he is withdrawn and moody, but after how the British media treated him a few years ago I don't blame him. He is apparently a nice guy with a good sense of humour, but this is professional sport not Big Brother so who cares?

As for him having "little respect for anyone" I'm not sure where that has come from. He always says it's an honour to be on the court with Federer, and is quite close with Rafa and has always been friends with Novak and compliments both regularly. Would do anything for a win? I should hope. Nothing wrong with being ferociously competitive. That's the aim of the game isn't it?

It's becoming very easy on here to separate those who constructively criticise Murray, and those that just don't like him and are quite bad at disguising it.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Tue 30 Aug 2011, 11:52 pm

Todays rivalries would make hyena's cry.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Chazfazzer Wed 31 Aug 2011, 12:08 am

He's not misunderstood. He's an elite athlete. He's guarded around the media so people think he is withdrawn and moody, but after how the British media treated him a few years ago I don't blame him. He is apparently a nice guy with a good sense of humour, but this is professional sport not Big Brother so who cares?

As for him having "little respect for anyone" I'm not sure where that has come from. He always says it's an honour to be on the court with Federer, and is quite close with Rafa and has always been friends with Novak and compliments both regularly. Would do anything for a win? I should hope. Nothing wrong with being ferociously competitive. That's the aim of the game isn't it?

It's becoming very easy on here to separate those who constructively criticise Murray, and those that just don't like him and are quite bad at disguising it.

One of my friends went to Wimbledon this year, and managed to get quite close to Murray's practice court when the Scot was knocking up. So close in fact that he could hear what Murray was saying. Apparently Murray was not being overly complimentary about the various players that were being mentioned, and in fact was openly slagging some of them off. I didn't see this myself so I don't know how true the story is, but the respectful and gracious media personas that these players create for themselves is probably quite far removed from their actual personalities. I'm willing to bet that most of the top players are arrogant d**kheads, quite frankly.

Chazfazzer

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Wed 31 Aug 2011, 12:20 am

Interesting you should say that... Because One of my friends went to Australia this year, and managed to get quite close to Murray's practice court when the Scot was knocking up. So close in fact that he could hear what Murray was saying. Apparently Murray was really complimentary about all his peers and was the nicest person ever.

He also saw Rafa, Roger and Novak together and they were laughing about how they like to drown kittens, and then all three of them starting shooting at a puppy that walked past past with air rifles.

True, I swear.... Wink

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by Chazfazzer Wed 31 Aug 2011, 12:30 am

Yeah I forgot to mention that when I went to Wimbledon this year I heard Andy Roddick having a quiet discussion with his coach about what he should do with all the decaying corpses he had left rotting in his attic.

In all seriousness my previous story was not made up, but it doesn't make Murray a bad person or anything. In plenty of matches against mates I've talked about other guys I've played and poked fun at their shortcomings, so I guess we all do it. Maybe Murray had had a bad day, or was in a bad mood. Whatever. I think it does just show that the players' apparent respect for every opponent may occasionally just be a facade.

Chazfazzer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down