The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wales Team v Italy

4 posters

Go down

Wales Team v Italy Empty Wales Team v Italy

Post by Enforcer Tue 22 Feb 2011, 10:20 am

The Welsh team has been announced and the big news is that Jonathon Davies couldn't overcome his injury probelms in time for this Saturday's game. James Hook has been moved to centre with Stephen Jones reclaiming the Number 10 jersey.

Leigh Halfpenny has been deemed fit enough to take a place on the bench.

Wales: Lee Byrne (Ospreys); Morgan Stoddart (Scarlets), James Hook (Ospreys), Jamie Roberts (Cardiff Blues), Shane Williams (Ospreys); Stephen Jones (Scarlets), Mike Phillips (Ospreys); Paul James (Ospreys), Matthew Rees (Scarlets, capt), Craig Mitchell (Ospreys), Bradley Davies (Blues), Alun Wyn Jones (Ospreys), Dan Lydiate (Newport Gwent Dragons), Sam Warburton (Blues), Ryan Jones (Ospreys).
Replacements: Richard Hibbard (Ospreys), John Yapp (Blues), Jonathan Thomas (Ospreys), Josh Turnbull (Scarlets), Tavis Knoyle (Scarlets), Rhys Priestland (Scarlets), Leigh Halfpenny (Blues).

Enforcer
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Wales Team v Italy Empty Re: Wales Team v Italy

Post by ospreylian Tue 22 Feb 2011, 11:02 am

enforcer

not sure that this team will have enough to overcome a desperate Italy, on their home turf.
Hook, the moving piece in Gatlands jigsaw, plays in yet another position.

I fancy that when he goes to Perpiganan I fancy his desire to return to Wales to play for his country may be quite diminished.

ospreylian

Back to top Go down

Post by Enforcer Tue 22 Feb 2011, 4:49 pm

This is going to be a tough game, there is a lot of praise being heaped on our pack - but the Italians won't see much on paper to worry them.

I don't think Hook is anywhere near as effective in the middle, we struggled to break the gain line against England and I can see the same thing happening Saturday.

There is not even much to change the game on the bench.

Very worried.

Enforcer
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Scarpia Thu 24 Feb 2011, 8:25 am

If Hook has to be in the centre I would have thought 12 would be better than 13. How much ball will get with Roberts inside him?

Scarpia

Back to top Go down

Post by goranth Thu 24 Feb 2011, 8:57 am

More than you think Scarpia. It has been shown that hook gets a lot of ball at 13 for wales.

I do have one question. If Hook was not moved to 13 who are our credible (please note the term) options at 13?

goranth

Back to top Go down

Post by ospreylian Thu 24 Feb 2011, 9:16 am

I believe Goranth the very fact that you have to ask that question exposes the folly of having such a small squad.

Gatland will have the relative luxury of a larger squad at the world cup, and if he followed that format now, then your query may not even be relevant.

ospreylian

Back to top Go down

Post by goranth Thu 24 Feb 2011, 9:19 am

You are missing the point. without Shanklin, Bishop and Davies due to injury our other contenders are regional players who are either not good enough or not ready for the step up.

with that in mind thwere is only one choice. Move Hook back to 13 and play Jones at 10. this is a no brainer, which makes the comments so astonishing. Hook is not being badly treated. he is having to fill in due to injuries. welcome to professional sport.

goranth

Back to top Go down

Post by ospreylian Thu 24 Feb 2011, 9:43 am

Goranth

But you've skipped over my point.............which is why have such a small squad to start?

George North proved that having young men in the squad can work, Prydie was a failure, but that's not to say that the next one would be the same.

With having this small squad then only the absolute top players get a chance, it can also restrict the progression of others.

ospreylian

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down