The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How much do Scotland miss Thom Evans?

+8
flankertye
emack2
funnyExiledScot
R!skysports
Seagultaf
Tattie Scones RRN
bathmad
mckay1402
12 posters

Go down

How much do Scotland miss Thom Evans? Empty How much do Scotland miss Thom Evans?

Post by mckay1402 Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:21 am

Scotlands lack of cutting edge in the backs is well documented and one man who could almost always break the line was Thom. I think Scotland have really missed him since he had to retire and will really struggle to find someone as good. Interesting article in the Scotsman...

http://sport.scotsman.com/rugby/Brother-Thom-is-missing-link.6828235.jp

Personally I think Thom was the better brother but having both of them in the side was a real boost.
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

How much do Scotland miss Thom Evans? Empty Re: How much do Scotland miss Thom Evans?

Post by bathmad Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:49 am

How many tries did he score in a Scotland shirt?

bathmad

Back to top Go down

How much do Scotland miss Thom Evans? Empty Re: How much do Scotland miss Thom Evans?

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:00 am

Not as much as we miss Toony, Alan Tait and John Leslie.

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Post by Seagultaf Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:38 am

Who else in the Scottish squad could get Kelly Brooks pregnant?

Legend or what?

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:58 am

1 try in 10 games apparently. Compare that to the rest of the team...
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by bathmad Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:29 am

1 try, so not really missed then...

bathmad

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:36 am

Now do not shoot me down in flames, buuuuuuuut

I was never hugely mega impressed with Thom, thought that he did not make the most of his speed and was a little light weight at times. Think he has lots of potential and could have been great, but injury forced his retirement.

I sometimes think we look back fondly at what might have been and mix it up with reality.

A good player, could have been great

(Ok ready to be shot down)

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:36 am

yes because the only thing a player can be measured on is the amount of tries he scores. Also like I said compare that to the rest of the Scottish team and that is not a bad ratio.
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:07 am

mckay1402 wrote:yes because the only thing a player can be measured on is the amount of tries he scores. Also like I said compare that to the rest of the Scottish team and that is not a bad ratio.

It's actually a worse ratio than all the Scotland outside backs, but I'd put that down to the fact that the team was really only just finding its feet under AR when he broke through and we were hardly using our wingers well.

Personally I don't see him as the missing link in our side, his brother is equally as able on the wing, and with Ansbro also coming into the side and NDL finding form, we have a couple of pretty nimble backs now to choose from. Our biggest problem is still the 10/12 axis, where we only have one dimensional options to choose from.

It's a real shame we lost him, because he would have suited the way we're playing the game now, especially with Jackson at 10. His ratio would have certainly ended up being better than 1 in 10.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:12 pm

The only time I,saw him play was against England in the match he was
injured .
They played a running game for the first time ,when expected to be a kicking game.
They ran England ragged until he went off,a great loss to them.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:16 pm

Not sure which match that was. He suffered his main injury against Wales.

I'd say his worst moment in a Scotland jersey was against England, getting run down on the angle by Moyne. Hardly embarrasing, but for a sprinter I'm sure he's annoyed he didn't step on the gas that fraction of a second sooner.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by flankertye Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:23 pm

No real shame in getting ran down by Ugo Monye, he's also a ex sprinter.

flankertye

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:36 pm

They both have about the same 100m time, was not that he did not hange his angle or made it more difficult

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by Manky-Flanker Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:40 pm

Thom was the Magners league top try scorer in 09, beating the likes of Shane Williams and Tommy Bowe etc, before he got injured at the beginning of 2010.

its not too often a Scottish winger can claim that prize....

Guess we may have to wait for Visser to qualify before it happens again.

Manky-Flanker

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:54 pm

.......or Lee Jones. Definitely one to watch this season.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:49 am

The jury will be perpetually out on Thom I would think.

True, he didn't average a high number of tries per game but he always, always made ground and his running off the ball carved huge holes as he genuinely panicked defenders.

He always reminded me of Strettle - a guy who seemed to be incredibly quick but who was always the provider and never seemed to get across the whitewash himself. Sadly, I also think Thom would have matured as Strettle recently has but we never got the chance to see it.

Personally, I prefer Max as centre and am looking forward to the day when we get Visser and Jones on the wing, with Rory as full back. Lee Jones is an absolute blaster - he just needs some confidence and time to mature.

Plenty of other posts banging on about the great Irish backs coming throught the junior ranks and whilst I'm not a fan of talking up young players as it just puts pressure on them - I think, if anything, Jones is being undersold.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:26 am

funnyExiledScot wrote:
mckay1402 wrote:yes because the only thing a player can be measured on is the amount of tries he scores. Also like I said compare that to the rest of the Scottish team and that is not a bad ratio.

It's actually a worse ratio than all the Scotland outside backs, but I'd put that down to the fact that the team was really only just finding its feet under AR when he broke through and we were hardly using our wingers well.

Personally I don't see him as the missing link in our side, his brother is equally as able on the wing, and with Ansbro also coming into the side and NDL finding form, we have a couple of pretty nimble backs now to choose from. Our biggest problem is still the 10/12 axis, where we only have one dimensional options to choose from.

It's a real shame we lost him, because he would have suited the way we're playing the game now, especially with Jackson at 10. His ratio would have certainly ended up being better than 1 in 10.
+1

No point in looking back at what might have been - in S Lamont and M Evans I think we have two players capable of scoring plenty of tries if they are given ball in the right spaces Braveheart

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:36 am

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:
No point in looking back at what might have been - in S Lamont and M Evans I think we have two players capable of scoring plenty of tries if they are given ball in the right spaces Braveheart

No point in England looking back and thinking what might have been if they hadnt been poached either. After all they have two talented young English 13's in errrr and ermm errr hmmmm

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:43 am

Laugh

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down