The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ospreys v Leinster 02/09/11

+33
Notch
doctornickolas
The Great Aukster
valjester
Taffineastbourne
nottins_jones
poissonrouge
Cymroglan
HammerofThunor
asoreleftshoulder
welshy824
thebandwagonsociety
jb1973
Shifty
Feckless Rogue
ScarletSpiderman
wales606
Jenifer McLadyboy
MBTGOG
rodders
Smirnoffpriest
TBJ9625
greybeard
caoimhincentre
Rava
pete (buachaill on eirne)
Davie
Thomond
D24tress
red_stag
Mickado
Gibson
Cari
37 posters

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Go down

Ospreys v Leinster 02/09/11 - Page 5 Empty Ospreys v Leinster 02/09/11

Post by Cari Thu 01 Sep 2011, 1:00 pm

First topic message reminder :

The team to face Leinster this weekend in the Ospreys first game of the new Pro-12 is as follows:

15 Richard Fussell
14 Kristian Phillips
13 Andrew Bishop
12 Ashley Beck
11 Hanno Dirksen
10 Dan Biggar
9 Rhys Webb

1 Duncan Jones
2 Mefin Davies
3 Cai Griffiths
4 Ian Gough
5 Ian Evans
6 Tom Smith
7 Justin Tipuric (Capt)
8 Jonathan Thomas

Replacements

16 Matthew Dwyer
17 Ken Dowding
18 Joe Rees
19 James King
20 Morgan Allen
21 Tom Isaacs
22 Matthew Morgan
23 Sonny Parker

We're missing a few key players who are all on international duty - and some off with injuries. If anyone's got the Leinster team, please post it in reply. Smile

Last edited by Cari on Thu 01 Sep 2011, 1:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

Cari

Back to top Go down

Ospreys v Leinster 02/09/11 - Page 5 Empty Re: Ospreys v Leinster 02/09/11

Post by RubyGuby Mon 05 Sep 2011, 5:54 pm

Great first half for the Ospreys but for me this was woeful coaching from Holley and Johnson by not going all out for the bonus point before piling on the replacements. That's what marks out the Leincesters, Munsters and Leicesters from the rest - when the points are there for the taking you take them - Those teams would have been ruthless with it and ensured a bonus point win before watching a potentially impressive performance dwindle out into a load of rubbish. Hard facts but thats the way it is and until we change that culture it will remain difficult to ensure consistent top class performances IMO. Yes I am frustrated with it in spite of the encouraging show. thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Mon 05 Sep 2011, 6:04 pm

Ruby,
Thought your attitude was superb in the 1st half. We fought back and kept it scoreless - at least, in the 2nd. I agree with you though. Should have got the WPB. All these lost points make such a differ come the playoff battles.

But, I thought you played so well, considering the players missing and it being the 1st game of the season. Lots of encouragement for O's this season. They are going in the right direction imo. Ale
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Mon 05 Sep 2011, 6:11 pm

Its not just the loss of the point Gibbo its the fact that you are shaping a culture there - a bonus point win would have felt very different. This is a typical old fashioned win, skill and guile and the win is in the bag and now we can take the foot off the gas. You mention how well we started, well that's how the top Irish and English teams finish. If we want to start to shape a culture then the coaches need to apply a little more thought. Everyone was so happy afterwards, yet IMO they have just thrown a point away. That's taking nothing from the Leinster side but there was 1 try there for the O's in the 2nd half. This creates that comfort zone for players - They should have had a roasting for not getting that extra point instead they sit back and take the plaudits for beating a 3rd string Leinster side. It berates me thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by greybeard Mon 05 Sep 2011, 6:14 pm

Don't think of it as a 3rd string team, it was still Ospreys v Leinster. Effectively a top of the table 8 pointer no matter what week it was played when it all comes out in the wash.

greybeard

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Mon 05 Sep 2011, 6:24 pm

RubyGuby wrote:Its not just the loss of the point Gibbo its the fact that you are shaping a culture there - a bonus point win would have felt very different. This is a typical old fashioned win, skill and guile and the win is in the bag and now we can take the foot off the gas. You mention how well we started, well that's how the top Irish and English teams finish. If we want to start to shape a culture then the coaches need to apply a little more thought. Everyone was so happy afterwards, yet IMO they have just thrown a point away. That's taking nothing from the Leinster side but there was 1 try there for the O's in the 2nd half. This creates that comfort zone for players - They should have had a roasting for not getting that extra point instead they sit back and take the plaudits for beating a 3rd string Leinster side. It berates me thumbsup

Oh I see her you are coming from Ruby. I agree. If Leinster had the O's by the throat, like ye did us - at the RDS, I would be pished-off we threw away a BP. Ruthlessness needs to be an in-built and encouraged club culture, for those aiming to win silverware. Munster have it in spades. No matter what team turns out for them.

I think Grey just made a salient point there too. Come the playoffs - that was an 8 pointer. Sooo.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Mon 05 Sep 2011, 9:43 pm

Whoever wins the league this year, the fans of that team will get no peace anyway because we will all belittling the achievement because of the world Cup taking players away.
I think the Ospreys have the biggest advantage though, we have 5 of the first 6 games at home and about 10 Welsh Internationals in our team.

I'm not concerned about the bonus point as there was no way the referee was going to allow us to get it, he was so biased towards Leinster to stop them getting hammered after halftime that it was a disgrace, with a fair referee who didn't ignore all Leinsters faults and give everything 50-50, and even 25-75 Leinsters way, the Ospreys could of won by a bigger margin.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by jb1973 Mon 05 Sep 2011, 10:27 pm

not so sure it was the team easing off as much as the team was knackered,

duncan j gough and meifin can't play for 80 mins at full pelt and once we struggled up front leinster got into the game .

It;s a thumbs up from me but if we are behind with 20 to go with this team I think well lose games

jb1973

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Mon 05 Sep 2011, 11:06 pm

I'm a little surprised at you JB - I would have thought that you saw there was a bonus point there for the taking - It was such an encouraging first half and whilst I was not expecting the same intensity there was definately 1 try to be had - Blaming the ref is no excuse although I agree some players might have been blowing. However, taking Kristian Phillips off and replacing with a scrum half on the wing was strange thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by jb1973 Mon 05 Sep 2011, 11:15 pm

isaccs is a more of a utility back than an out and out though i think mate?

Bit disaapointed in phillips he never seems to get involved enoug, young dirksen is into everything. Hopefully prydie will be back by the end of the month.

I agree the BP was there but i do feel age caught up with our pack, hopefully well see a full 80 mins on the weekend <ok>

jb1973

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Mon 05 Sep 2011, 11:22 pm

I agree on Phillips and don't see him having an international future, given the space, gaps and broken play he's fine but he generally waits for it to appear - Dirksen is John Kirwan like and just wants it and loves it. I sense a cultural change at the O's for the better and just a sense of disappointment at the lost point would have appeased me - It will be fascinating to see these welsh youngsters develop over time - Prydie, Morgan, Owen (nxt season) - Rhys Webb is looking the real deal and the centre partnership was exciting and well balanced. Lots to look forward to as long as they keep some perspective and set some realistic goals. thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Tue 06 Sep 2011, 5:23 am

Last edited by Gibson on Wed 07 Sep 2011, 3:28 am; edited 2 times in total
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by TBJ9625 Tue 06 Sep 2011, 8:53 am

was anybody else pleased/impressed with JT's performance? Lots of people have identified Gough and Webb as having good games, but I thought JT put in a great game. Possible best game in last 2 seasons. Tackled well, carried well, showed leadership, supported and generally up'd his game to old levels. I was quick enough to be critical last season, so lets hope he continues
TBJ9625
TBJ9625

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Tue 06 Sep 2011, 9:01 am

JT had an excellent game and could well have been MOM - Did a lot of the hard work and foraged well -

Gibson - You have to move away from the Ospreys and welsh stereotypes, they are in a minority of course and tend to taint the general perception of the welsh, a bit like everyone in Ireland likes a drink but not everyone is the great Paul McGrath Wink thumbsup

I once met a tee total Irishman!! or was it a dream guinness

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Tue 06 Sep 2011, 5:06 pm

RubyGuby wrote:JT had an excellent game and could well have been MOM - Did a lot of the hard work and foraged well -

Gibson - You have to move away from the Ospreys and welsh stereotypes, they are in a minority of course and tend to taint the general perception of the welsh, a bit like everyone in Ireland likes a drink but not everyone is the great Paul McGrath Wink thumbsup

I once met a tee total Irishman!! or was it a dream guinness

Yes quite true it's not as if the Welsh say all Irish steal diesel, live in caravans, steal anything that isn't nailed down, and take all our drain covers! Though that is the impression we get from all the Irish travelers that live in South Wales!
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Tue 06 Sep 2011, 9:35 pm

Sorry lads. Didnt mean to cause offence. Mea culpa.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5