The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A British female tennis player (and, no, it isn't Laura or Heather)

3 posters

Go down

A British female tennis player (and, no, it isn't Laura or Heather) Empty A British female tennis player (and, no, it isn't Laura or Heather)

Post by newballs Thu 01 Sep 2011, 1:10 pm

It's about time Baltacha was given some credit where credit is due.

She's made the 3rd round of the Aussie open twice and the 3rd round of Wimbledon once which puts here way ahead of any of her current British counterparts. Interestingly Keothavong has only made the 3rd round at one slam (here at Flushing Meadows) whilst it appears to be only the second time Bally has qualified for the US Open (made 2nd round last year).

So far she has made the second round of each slam this year but gone no further. If she beats Kuznetsova today then it'll be another 3rd round appearance and (just maybe) the press will give her the kind of exposure she deserves. Don't wish to get too excited, and it was a while ago, but she has apparently beaten Kuzzy before when they were juniors.

Watson and Robson may well be the future but Bally is the present. A sustained run in the top 50 is not beyond her being still only 28 considering Li Na's and Schiavone's late run of form).

Apologies for the diatribe but a certain male British no.1 from Dunblane gets loads of publicity. Someone who spent a number of years in nearby Perth deserves the same.

newballs

Back to top Go down

A British female tennis player (and, no, it isn't Laura or Heather) Empty Re: A British female tennis player (and, no, it isn't Laura or Heather)

Post by Chazfazzer Thu 01 Sep 2011, 1:25 pm

I do respect Baltacha and her achievements, but I hardly think that someone who's never been past the third round of a grand slam deserves the same level of publicity as a three-time grand slam finalist and multiple Master's series winner!

Chazfazzer

Back to top Go down

A British female tennis player (and, no, it isn't Laura or Heather) Empty Re: A British female tennis player (and, no, it isn't Laura or Heather)

Post by time please Thu 01 Sep 2011, 2:04 pm

She is probably very grateful that she doesn't suffer from the same publicity overload as AM newballs, but I do have sympathy with the gist of your post - it always makes me gnash my teeth when commentators go on and on about 70 whatever years since the last British slam winner, more often than not forgetting to insert 'male' between last and British. If I were Viriginia Wade or Sue Barker I would be really irritated!

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by newballs Thu 01 Sep 2011, 3:25 pm

Chazfazzer Henman got loads more publicity too with one masters title to his name. She doesn't need or indeed merit the kind of focus Murray gets but seemingly gets all but ignored in the stampede to focus attention and praise both Robson and, more recently, Watson have been getting.

Slam 4th round/ QF (at a push)? She knows that would possibly be the limit for her achievements tennis wise but even if she never gets past another second round match not a bad achievement methinks.

newballs

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down