The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stat nerds, when was the last time on the ATP tour that in a 5 set match.....

+4
Mad for Chelsea
Josiah Maiestas
newballs
socal1976
8 posters

Go down

Stat nerds, when was the last time on the ATP tour that in a 5 set match..... Empty Stat nerds, when was the last time on the ATP tour that in a 5 set match.....

Post by socal1976 Sat 03 Sep 2011, 11:12 am

that a player failed to hold his serve one time. Carlos Berlocq was broken 8 times in a row. Both games he won came on Novak's serve in set 3. By the way big worry for me Novak started stretching and grimacing in set three and promptly lost his serve twice in a row to a highly overmatched player. Despite the score line this was a very ominous match for Djokovic. He may have this problem for the rest of the season. If he is grimacing and rubbing his shoulder in round #2 I don't even want to think of what will happen come the qf, sf, and final if he gets there. I have never felt this bad after my man double bagelled someone.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Stat nerds, when was the last time on the ATP tour that in a 5 set match..... Empty Re: Stat nerds, when was the last time on the ATP tour that in a 5 set match.....

Post by newballs Sat 03 Sep 2011, 11:19 am

socal I was also wondering if this was some kind of slam first i.e. first time a player had ever won games in a five set match where the only games won were breaks of serve.

Didn't notice any grimacing from Djokovic - other than the peed off look when he was broken for the second time.

newballs

Back to top Go down

Stat nerds, when was the last time on the ATP tour that in a 5 set match..... Empty Re: Stat nerds, when was the last time on the ATP tour that in a 5 set match.....

Post by Josiah Maiestas Sat 03 Sep 2011, 11:46 am

Nole's shoulder was fine to me, he lost those games because he got bored and dint wanna embarrass Berlocq (although arguably 2 bagels is quite embarrassing) I would be a lot more concerned for his opponents rather than the Dominator Cool
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Sat 03 Sep 2011, 11:51 am

And if you check the 2007 Aus. Open first round, Murray beat Alberto Martin 6-0 6-0 6-1 Shocked
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Sat 03 Sep 2011, 12:00 pm

does David Cup count as ATP, Murray beat some guy 6-0 6-0 6-0 a couple of months ago in Glasgow. Apart from that, can't really remember one...

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Sat 03 Sep 2011, 12:27 pm

socal - I didn't see Djokovic's match, and I've not seen any reports that suggest he was struggling with his shoulder.

Was it really hindering him at the end?

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Sat 03 Sep 2011, 2:26 pm

well jstu going by the stats it seems his first serve didn't have the pop it normally does, he was winning less than 70% of points behind it, so that maybe suggests he's still a bit tender about the shoulder?

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sat 03 Sep 2011, 2:45 pm

Nothing wrong with his shoulder, just the usual stuff.

We can look forward to some traditional MTOs in the later stages accompanied by anxious commentary and no ill effects.

It's the part of modern tennis that I despise the most.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Sat 03 Sep 2011, 3:23 pm

socal1976 wrote:that a player failed to hold his serve one time. Carlos Berlocq was broken 8 times in a row. Both games he won came on Novak's serve in set 3. By the way big worry for me Novak started stretching and grimacing in set three and promptly lost his serve twice in a row to a highly overmatched player. Despite the score line this was a very ominous match for Djokovic. He may have this problem for the rest of the season. If he is grimacing and rubbing his shoulder in round #2 I don't even want to think of what will happen come the qf, sf, and final if he gets there. I have never felt this bad after my man double bagelled someone.

I don't like the sound of that at all socal - silly boy to have played Cincy at all mad

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Sat 03 Sep 2011, 3:29 pm

We can look forward to some traditional MTOs in the later stages accompanied by anxious commentary and no ill effects.

It's the part of modern tennis that I despise the most.
First time you've ever mentioned that before laughing
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by yloponom68 Sat 03 Sep 2011, 3:39 pm

Edberg, at Wimbledon, and Lendl in Paris, both won Major singles matches by the scoreline, 6-0, 6-0, 6-0.

yloponom68

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Sat 03 Sep 2011, 3:54 pm

I don't like the sound of that at all socal - silly boy to have played Cincy at all mad
Winner of Montreal should never need to play Cinci at all, especially when the winner is a top 10 ranked GS champ, terrible decision by him and his team, but we've been through that before.

Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sun 04 Sep 2011, 4:41 am

Yes, I have to agree with the posters maybe he should have taken a withdrawal in the Quarters or semis come up with some lame excuse, but you know the critics would be all over him for that as well.

Fellas I watched the match early in the third set he started windmilling his arms and grimacing and lost back to back breaks to a guy who was struggling to win points before that. His serve hasn't been the same since the middle rounds of Cincy.

Timeplease have to agree wholeheartedly with your comments. But I think he probably would have faced some penalty as Cincy is a mandatory.

pS dJOKO actually got 10 straight breaks, in my original post I said he got 8 breaks in a row.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sun 04 Sep 2011, 5:10 am

Mad for Chelsea wrote:does David Cup count as ATP, Murray beat some guy 6-0 6-0 6-0 a couple of months ago in Glasgow. Apart from that, can't really remember one...

It does but berlocq is a decent pro the guy he beat from what luxemborg i think isn't even a challenger level guy. But you are right for sure MFC that is definetly the last time I have heard of a 5 set match on the ATP to where the opponent failed to hold serve. In that match Murray broke his opponent 9 times in a row, Berlocq got broken 10 times in a row, something I never thought possible.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down