The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jamie Hagan

+5
D24tress
greybeard
Standulstermen
Feckless Rogue
stevetynant
9 posters

Go down

Jamie Hagan Empty Jamie Hagan

Post by stevetynant Sun 04 Sep 2011, 9:15 am

Could one of our Connacht or Leinster supporters explain to me what is the thing with Jamie Hagan. Everytime I read the Irish Indo or come on a rugby website the Irish supporters or press seem to really rate this guy - there were even those pondering whether he should now be in New Zealand.

I realise the front row is not Irelands strong point at the moment (outside the Ross/ Flannery and Healy) but I just don't see why people rate him so highly. Admittedly I've only seen him play a few times but he does no more than hold his own at scrum time at best and the few charges I saw inevitably ended with loosing the ball. Perhaps I've just seen a few days when he had poor games but I can't understand why he's rated so highly - anyone want to explain? Doh

stevetynant

Back to top Go down

Jamie Hagan Empty Re: Jamie Hagan

Post by Feckless Rogue Sun 04 Sep 2011, 10:03 am

"but he does no more than hold his own at scrum time"

Which makes him one of the greatest props in Ireland.
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by stevetynant Sun 04 Sep 2011, 10:07 am

he does no more than hold his own at scrum time at best

stevetynant

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Sun 04 Sep 2011, 10:51 am

I think Feckless has it spot on. There is a paucity of TH's in ireland. We have one very good Lh and another who looks great coming through. TH is another story.

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by greybeard Mon 05 Sep 2011, 9:59 am

Rather than being a great player, Hagan represents great hope. He's good, not great, but we're all hoping desperately that it's only a matter of time before he's international standard.

Leinster fans hope this because we want him to be a major part of our team and that's the level we expect from our players, Connacht fans probably hope this because it's a feather in their cap and a good bit of PR to use when trying to sign new players; it shows that they're capable of bringing on new talent.

I've seen him play a few games and he has usually been better than he was at the weekend.

But to be honest the questions from other posters about whether he should be in NZ was premature and not realistic.

greybeard

Back to top Go down

Post by D24tress Mon 05 Sep 2011, 10:05 am

Prop is alot different then any other position because they might be bad in there early years but can come really good as they reach there 30's

Hagan can hold his own now and we would be hoping as he gets older and more time under feek and ross he will become better.

D24tress

Back to top Go down

Post by greybeard Mon 05 Sep 2011, 10:26 am

Have to say I was confused by George Hooks comments that he and Carr will have to quickly learn that 'this is a different level' or something like that.

It's not as if they've been playing AIL for the past three years or something.

greybeard

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Mon 05 Sep 2011, 10:32 am

greybeard wrote:Have to say I was confused by George Hooks comments that he and Carr will have to quickly learn that 'this is a different level' or something like that.

George Hook is a human frisbee and he'd benefit from watching some rugby before he comments on players. I'm pretty sure that he only watches the matches he's covering. Remember he called Clint Newland "Craig Ryland" in an article in the Indo?! Shockingly bad journalist, he's a novelty on TV and it's funny at times but if his arse and his elbow were standing beside eachother he wouldn't be able to tell them apart.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by D24tress Mon 05 Sep 2011, 11:00 am

Mickado wrote:
greybeard wrote:Have to say I was confused by George Hooks comments that he and Carr will have to quickly learn that 'this is a different level' or something like that.

George Hook is a human frisbee and he'd benefit from watching some rugby before he comments on players. I'm pretty sure that he only watches the matches he's covering. Remember he called Clint Newland "Craig Ryland" in an article in the Indo?! Shockingly bad journalist, he's a novelty on TV and it's funny at times but if his arse and his elbow were standing beside eachother he wouldn't be able to tell them apart.

not to mention his commentary on cormac murray playing at scrum half

D24tress

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Mon 05 Sep 2011, 11:05 am

He's been calling Andy Trimble all sorts too.

He's like a stupid version of Eamonn Dunphy.

On the subject of Hagan, he's a decent young tight head prop. He can hold a scrum and he isn't shy of carrying, i expect him to improve and hope he can make it to international level. I haven't really heard any more hype other than that, any calls for him to go to the WC are more to do with the state of the props we are taking rather than a reflection on him.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Mon 05 Sep 2011, 11:08 am

This is the same guy who stated publicly he didn't like Tommy Bowe. Said he didn't have any pace!!
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Mon 05 Sep 2011, 11:16 am

There’s a cracking video on youtube called (something like) George Hook v Johnny Sexton.

Basically it’s a collection of clips from the build up to the Ireland v England game this year where Hook is saying that Sexton is crepe, that he can’t manage a game, that his decision making is terrible and it’s all interspersed with clips from the same game of Johnny setting up tries, nailing kicks etc.

He says something like “Kidney has suffered because of his loyalty to certain players”, then in the next sentence he says that “Kidney is persisting with Sexton at the expense of ROG”. The man makes no sense.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by D24tress Mon 05 Sep 2011, 11:25 am

Question if you were a rugby journalist and you had the chance to be a rich journie who gets the good gigs except you had to come out with some tripe articles about the haka,wallace, and the dirty boks every now and then would you do it.

D24tress

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Mon 05 Sep 2011, 11:29 am

D24tress wrote:Question if you were a rugby journalist and you had the chance to be a rich journie who gets the good gigs except you had to come out with some tripe articles about the haka,wallace, and the dirty boks every now and then would you do it.

What's my other option? Write good articles, keep my credibility and don't make a lot of money?

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by greybeard Mon 05 Sep 2011, 11:34 am

Isn't that what we do on here? Wink

greybeard

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 05 Sep 2011, 11:36 am

Mickado wrote:He's been calling Andy Trimble all sorts too.

Too be fair he gave Trimble a public apology recently because of his performances in the warm ups and said he had been "magnificent".

Rava thats not fair everyone knows Bowe got faster when he moved to the Ospreys Wink . I remember a few seasons ago Bowe made the only clean break in the game against Italy, scything through a small gap and running 20-30metres up field to set up an attacking platform and Hook said he was the worst winger Ireland ever had for not finishing of the break with a try!

Last season he said Ferris was Irelands most important player and this year he said he shouldn't be in the team. Not so long ago he was saying Paddy Wallace should start at 12 and now he's slagging of Kidney for having a blind spot for Wallace.

Occaisionally Hook talks a lot of sense but I think he loves playing the pantomine villain and coming out with these sweeping statements to wind people up.

Anyone remember the Hook and Pope roadshow? I remember John Hayes wife giving him a right grilling one time, it was hilarious. "Back up the truck".... Wink

rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by D24tress Mon 05 Sep 2011, 11:47 am

Mickado wrote:
D24tress wrote:Question if you were a rugby journalist and you had the chance to be a rich journie who gets the good gigs except you had to come out with some tripe articles about the haka,wallace, and the dirty boks every now and then would you do it.

What's my other option? Write good articles, keep my credibility and don't make a lot of money?

Your other option is sticking to what you have got now, but the rugby job is amazing WC lions tours all the games you could want, all you got to do is drop an article once a week.

D24tress

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Mon 05 Sep 2011, 11:48 am

No Rodders, you misunderstand.

He’s been calling him Tom, Dick or Harry Trimble, he can’t get anyones name right!

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Mon 05 Sep 2011, 11:49 am

D24tress wrote:
Mickado wrote:

Your other option is sticking to what you have got now, but the rugby job is amazing WC lions tours all the games you could want, all you got to do is drop an article once a week.

In the words of Spinal Tap lead axe man Nigel Tufnell, "what are the hours?"

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by D24tress Mon 05 Sep 2011, 11:56 am

Mickado wrote:
D24tress wrote:
Mickado wrote:

In the words of Spinal Tap lead axe man Nigel Tufnell, "what are the hours?"

As much as you want, you are essentially stuart barnes/gerry thornley, one article a week, however you will have to go to all the ireland games, and do a report on a h cup game every weekend.

However you have to be an idiot about some things and you positively cant write anything positive about paddy wallace or new zealand

D24tress

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Mon 05 Sep 2011, 11:57 am

So be paid to be a WUM?
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by D24tress Mon 05 Sep 2011, 12:02 pm

red_stag wrote:So be paid to be a WUM?

Essentially yes but you get to the dream rugby job

Its the basic morals -v- money debate.

D24tress

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Mon 05 Sep 2011, 12:14 pm

I'd be a clueless WUM for money. In a heartbeat. In fairness i'd only have to learn how to be a WUM...

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Mon 05 Sep 2011, 12:22 pm

I'd do it I reckon. Only if I only have to (get to:) ) do the WUM articles as a rarity. I'd prefer to be seen as a journalist who talks common sense but likes to leave little barbs and snares in there for the easily led rather than an out and out WUM article.

I work in the rugby industry anyway so have a nice enough job Smile
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by D24tress Mon 05 Sep 2011, 12:24 pm

Me too in a second, thats why people like stephen jones dont need to be taken seriously.

I'd say he tells his mates about great wums he has been thinking up, like leaving BOD out of his lions selection, that will get the paddies wound up.

D24tress

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Mon 05 Sep 2011, 12:25 pm

Exactly, I don't know why people get so riled up by journalists. I think its an important part of the media when done in a clever way.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 05 Sep 2011, 12:26 pm

Mickado wrote:No Rodders, you misunderstand.

He’s been calling him Tom, Dick or Harry Trimble, he can’t get anyones name right!

To be fair Stuart Barnes called him James Trimble during the England game.

Anyone remember when Murray Mexted kept referring to BOD as John O'Driscoll in the last WC?
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by D24tress Mon 05 Sep 2011, 12:40 pm

Its the funniest in the RTE studios when hooky goes off on a rant
You can always see conor o'sheas face drop and then he has to keep reminding him of the names, its like he is looking after his senile grandad who keeps on saying inappriopriate things infront of guests

D24tress

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down