The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NWQ/NIQ players list and comparison.

+3
Standulstermen
greybeard
Kingshu
7 posters

Go down

NWQ/NIQ players list and comparison. Empty NWQ/NIQ players list and comparison.

Post by Kingshu Mon 05 Sep 2011, 1:29 pm

I did this last year comparing the NWQ players with the NIQ players, as with the teams having limited quotas the higher the quality you can get the better.

Last year the NWQ team was about par with the NIQ team.

All the NWQ players

Hooker
Tom Willis

Prop
Deacon Manu
Ben Castle
Taufa'ao Filise
Nigel Hall
Dan Way

Lock
Michael Paterson
Sione Timani

Flanker
Chauncey O'Toole
Andries Pretorius
George Stowers

Xavier Rush
Ben Morgan

Scrum half
Kahn Fotuali'i
Ruki Tipuna
Joe Bedford

Flyhalf
Dan Parks

Centre
Casey Laulala
Hanno Dirksen

Wing
Tommy Bowe
Sean Lamont
Nikki Walker

Fullback
Jamie Smith
Ben Blair
Joshua Davies

Total 26

All the Irish NIQ players

Hooker
Ethienne Reynecke
Richardt Strauss

Prop
John Afoa
Rodney Ah You
Peter Borlase
BJ Botha
Wian du Preez
Dylan Rogers
Heinke van der Merwe
Nathan White

Lock
Johann Muller
Steven Sykes

Flanker
Pedrie Wannenburg
Ray Ofisa

George Naoupu

Scrumhalf
Ruan Pienaar

Outhalf
Miah Nikora
Matt Berquist

Centre
Lifeimi Mafi
Henry Fa'afili
(Matthew Jarvis)*

Wing
Simon Danielli
Fetu'u Vainikolo
Doug Howlett
(James Loxton)*

Fullback
Jared Payne
Isa Nacewa

* see https://www.606v2.com/t7312p50-ireland-take-wales-to-irb-over-loxton-and-jarvis-eligibility-row

Total 25

Prop seams to be an area both struggle to fill with 5 NWQ props and 8 NIQ props. While at the same time Hooker seams to be an area of strength for some reason?

The Welsh regions seam to have met the quota of NWQ payers with 24 The provinces have 25 players and Munster have still a NIQ slot to fill, meaning the total will be 26, however I believe Connacht are allowed 2 extra NIQ spots.

You could argue that the Welsh are weak at Scrum half with 3 NWQ players there, compared to 1 NIQ, or you could say it's a strong area and the WRU are ok with NWQ scrumhalves coming in (have the WRU a say in what positions, the regions can or cannot sign players?), and that Ireland areweek in Scrumhalfs and limited on the number so they develop IQ scrumhalfs for the national team. Personally think that Wales have some great scrumhalfs currently so don't see why they need 3 NWQ scrumhalves.

Now for fun

NWQ XV
15 Ben Blair 14 Tommy Bowe 13 Hanno Dirksen 12 Casey Laulala 11Nikki Walker 10 Dan Parks
9 Kahn Fotuali'i 1 Tom Willis 2 Taufa'ao Filise 3 Deacon Manu 4 Sione Timani 5 Michael Paterson 6 Andries Pretorius 7 George Stowers 8 Xavier Rush

NIQ XV
15 Jared Payne 14 Doug Howlett 13 Lifeimi Mafi 12 Isa Nacewa 11 Simon Danielli 10 Matt Berquist 9 Ruan Pienaar 1John Afoa 2 Richardt Strauss 3 BJ Botha 4 Johann Muller 5 Steven Sykes 6 Pedrie Wannenburg 7 Ray Ofisa 8 George Naoupu

I'll admit that the teams could be tweaked (I put Bowe at center as there is only one NWQ center, and Afoa at loosehead to get Botha in the team) but they should be about right, (feel free to say what you think the best team is)

Personally I think this year the NIQ team is a lot stronger than the NWQ team, which would go someway to suggest the Irish teams, have recruited better this summer, and will have stronger squads.

and are there any conclusions you can draw from a NWQ/NIQ comparison?

Last edited by Kingshu on Mon 05 Sep 2011, 3:52 pm; edited 6 times in total

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

NWQ/NIQ players list and comparison. Empty Re: NWQ/NIQ players list and comparison.

Post by greybeard Mon 05 Sep 2011, 1:52 pm

Interesting that, Danielli apart, the NIQ players are all SH, but there are many more NH players in the NWQ list. Not sure what that might be indicative of, though.

greybeard

Back to top Go down

NWQ/NIQ players list and comparison. Empty Re: NWQ/NIQ players list and comparison.

Post by Standulstermen Mon 05 Sep 2011, 1:56 pm

Rodders pointed out that Ulster only had 1 NIQ in their squad against Glasgow which bodes well for the future.

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by mpc28 Mon 05 Sep 2011, 2:00 pm

Aaron Jarvis qualifies for Wales through a Welsh grandparent i believe.

mpc28

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Mon 05 Sep 2011, 2:03 pm

mpc28 wrote:Aaron Jarvis qualifies for Wales through a Welsh grandparent i believe.

You won't want him.
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by mpc28 Mon 05 Sep 2011, 2:09 pm

Cumbrian wrote:
mpc28 wrote:Aaron Jarvis qualifies for Wales through a Welsh grandparent i believe.

You won't want him.

You're the 2nd Bath fan to tell me that haha, seemed a strange signing as the ospreys have a lot of props anyway.

mpc28

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Mon 05 Sep 2011, 2:15 pm

oh see that Aaron Jarvis is Welsh qualified will remove and amend accordenly

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Mon 05 Sep 2011, 2:18 pm

To be fair, it could be argued that none of the NWQ props are first choice for their region
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Mon 05 Sep 2011, 2:19 pm

Also, Paul Tito is now WQ.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by mpc28 Mon 05 Sep 2011, 2:21 pm

Kingshu wrote:oh see that Aaron Jarvis is Welsh qualified will remove and amend accordenly

Paul Tito is Welsh qualified aswell i think.

mpc28

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Mon 05 Sep 2011, 2:22 pm

And Ben Blair is unlikely to return for the Blues
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Mon 05 Sep 2011, 2:30 pm

I believe that Welch is now welsh qualified, and Morgan will be by Xmas.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Mon 05 Sep 2011, 2:31 pm

Ben Blair is still listed as a registered player for the Blues on the Cardiff Blues website so he still counts as taking up a NWQ space, and remains

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Mon 05 Sep 2011, 2:32 pm

Matthew Javis and James Loxton at Connacht are NIQ as they have played U20s for Wales.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by mpc28 Mon 05 Sep 2011, 2:45 pm

Hanno Dirksen is a NWQ player i believe so he is one for the list.

mpc28

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Mon 05 Sep 2011, 3:04 pm

Damien Welch has been removed as he is WQ, Morgan remains as currently he is NWQ but won't make the NWQ list next year.

Connacht officials have contacted the IRFU and the Irish governing body is believed to have sought clarification from the IRB on the matter.

For Matthew Jarvis and James Loxton I'll wait on the outcome on if the IRB confirms that the two men are Irish-qualified or not, as it depends on if the Wales under 20 team, counts as their second team as they don't have an 'A' team ( and I've edited it so much that can't be bothered).

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/my_club/connacht/9399558.stm

https://www.606v2.com/t7312-ireland-take-wales-to-irb-over-loxton-and-jarvis-eligibility-row

606 can't decide yet either

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Mon 05 Sep 2011, 3:43 pm

Kingshu - I only remembered them because they were contraversial (wish i could spell).
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Mon 05 Sep 2011, 3:50 pm

I'm glad you pointed it out cos it was something I'd missed entirely, was an intresting read, the bbc and 606 thread, it did say there would be a meting a few months ago that would resolve it, but can't see anything about the outcome.

I add them in in brackets but not count them, untill someone can come up with the IRB ruling.

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by greybeard Mon 05 Sep 2011, 3:51 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:Matthew Javis and James Loxton at Connacht are NIQ as they have played U20s for Wales.

That's still not settled, but the IRFU have not counted them as NIQ to avoid Connacht going over their quota.

greybeard

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down