The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fair Cop

+3
rodders
Impossible Standards
Cymroglan
7 posters

Go down

Fair Cop Empty Fair Cop

Post by Cymroglan Mon 05 Sep 2011, 5:23 pm

PC Brett O'Hagan accused of South Wales rugby attack
A police constable attacked a detective during a rugby match, leaving him needing surgery, a jury has heard.

Brett O'Hagan allegedly lashed out at force colleague Gareth Bishop, causing facial cuts, a black eye and broken nose.

Newport Crown Court heard Mr Bishop was playing for South Wales Police and Mr O'Hagan, 31, for opponents Wattstown.

Mr O'Hagan, of Porth, Rhondda, denies wounding with intent to cause grievous bodily harm, claiming self defence
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-east-wales-14792953

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Fair Cop Empty Re: Fair Cop

Post by Impossible Standards Tue 06 Sep 2011, 10:59 am

A quote from the article:
"I lashed out with a straight-arm punch and he ran onto my fist."

Laugh
Impossible Standards
Impossible Standards

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue 06 Sep 2011, 11:03 am

I saw this yesterday. I wonder if this will set a precedent for rugby? Surely what happens on a rugby pitch should stay on a rugby pitch?

I can't believe that detective bloke went crying to the police.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Tue 06 Sep 2011, 11:05 am

It's a bit pathetic, but then again if the one cop was hitting someone on the ground and the other cop jumped in to help his mate...

bit pathetic really, this is a normal incident every week in a rugby game, if he cant take it, maybe he should play football...
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue 06 Sep 2011, 11:08 am

There's a difference between fisty cuffs on the pitch (which should stay on the pitch) and then a serious attack which is intended to injure. Not sure which side of the line this falls but a complaint to the WRFU disciplinary committee would seem a more moderate reaction than full police charges. Unless of course there was existing bad blood and the detective expected some sort of issue.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by bathmad Tue 06 Sep 2011, 11:44 am

formerly known as Sam wrote:There's a difference between fisty cuffs on the pitch (which should stay on the pitch) and then a serious attack which is intended to injure. Not sure which side of the line this falls but a complaint to the WRFU disciplinary committee would seem a more moderate reaction than full police charges. Unless of course there was existing bad blood and the detective expected some sort of issue.

Agreed. Big difference. Opposing prop to exception to the fact that I was better than him once, punched me blindside. It went through disciplinaries etc etc but in the amateurs there's no tv evidence. Funnily enough I didn't share a beer with him afterwards with my nose on the other side of my face. That's a whole world away from being part of the game.

bathmad

Back to top Go down

Fair Cop Empty Fair Cop

Post by Spade Tue 06 Sep 2011, 3:08 pm

I know people who were at this match and have said that there were no boots used just 2 players having a go....just the one who came off worse reported it to the Police...it was not in the Ref's report as it was not issue on the day......At this rate the game will be dead in a few years time with people too afraid to go in to a tackel a little rough just incase they end up in court.....BAD for the game !!!!

Spade

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Tue 06 Sep 2011, 3:11 pm

Has this Police investigation got anything to do with the rugby side of things ? If these two serving police officers had a fight on the street the police would still want to know whats behind it.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Tue 06 Sep 2011, 4:42 pm

Obviously there is some kind of work vendetta here. something not related to rugby, because even when you do have a scrap on the field, in my experience it's forgotten about at the final whistle and you shake hands.
I remember in a game while playing for Porthcawl Youth RFc, against Canton Youth RFC, their prop bit me twice, head butted me at every scrum, threatened to knife me and hit me at every line out. I punched and kicked him back, but at the final whistle we shook hands and had a bit of a giggle walking back to the dressing room. We then met at the bar for sausages and chips and a couple of pints. I was ok because we won 15-8 though!
That's rugby to be honest.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue 06 Sep 2011, 4:51 pm

We then met at the bar for sausages and chips and a couple of pints

Standard post match fare right there. The amount of times I've been served sausage, chips and beans on a gray day post match in a Leicestershire pub must be in the hundreds.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Tue 06 Sep 2011, 5:03 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:Standard post match fare right there. The amount of times I've been served sausage, chips and beans on a gray day post match in a Leicestershire pub must be in the hundreds.

We played them at home a few months later and at the first scrum I asked him if we were going scrap this time and he replied with "na mate, I like you, I'll feel guilty if I whack you now!" Typical Ely boy! Laugh
We beat them 44-7 at home, from what I remember, I never seen him since though.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down