The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ten Steps to Fix WWE's Storytelling Approach

+5
MtotheC
Bonesaw's ready
Samo
Shot 21 LCFC
Brady12
9 posters

Go down

Ten Steps to Fix WWE's Storytelling Approach  Empty Ten Steps to Fix WWE's Storytelling Approach

Post by Brady12 Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:55 pm

Found this on Pro Wrestling Torch, by Shawn Valentino - Who describes himself as an author..... Anyone have any idea who he is?

1) The characters must behave logically in the confines of the universe they create.

I have already written an article condemning WWE’s cheap tactic of resorting to shoot style promos to spark interest in their product. I likened C.M. Punk’s usage of behind-the-scenes insider terminology to Christian Bale calling out the fact that Heath Ledger is dead in the middle of a Batman movie. Even if it garners some momentary interest, I do not see any long-term value in breaking the fourth wall and destroying the credibility of the world of escapism that any brand of entertainment is attempting to create.

I think the best segment of the year was the pre-WrestleMania promo between Undertaker, Triple H, and Shawn Michaels. They sold the idea that winning and losing was a matter of major consequence to their careers and the fact that HBK was forced to retire due to the stipulation the year before added to the gravitas. None of the characters were making snarky comments or winking and smiling at the audience, and it resulted in the most dramatic in-ring masterpiece of the year. Although Punk did create a buzz and have a great match with Cena, the damage it has caused the product has outweighed the admittedly high quality of his performances. Storyline presentation has been a mess, and the characters have been going in and out of character and alienated the viewer from the escapist journey viewers seek when watching wrestling.

(2) No more worked-shoot promos

To summarize my first step into a practical method to achieve the verisimilitude that WWE should be seeking would be to advise them to stop with the worked-shoot promos. Sure, they can be funny and generate gasps from the audience, but the overall negative effects outweigh the heat ignited amongst a small part of their audience. What comes out of the characters mouth's should remain focused on forwarding stories within a reality where winning and losing and settling personal grudges are what drive them.

(3) Slowly phase out matches between “stars” on free television

PWTorch editor Wade Keller has written many columns that have advocated the return of squash matches. When I first started watching wrestling, viewers were accustomed to seeing Superstars fighting generic jobbers and showing off their entrance and key moves. Not only did it allow viewers to become familiar with the characters, it also made the rare occasions when two top stars fought seem special. Of course, the Monday Night Wars changed everything and now nearly all matches on television are between so-called stars. The problem with that goes back to what PWTorch columnist Bruce Mitchell has said, “If everything is important, then nothing is important.” Can anyone name ten great matches on Raw and Smackdown over the last year or two? WWE (and TNA) present hundreds of bouts where big-name wrestlers collide ever year and almost none of it is of any consequence. I do realize it would take time to train most viewers to accept squash matches again, but I feel that if they slowly re-introduce them to the audience, it would help move stories forward in a more intelligent, interesting fashion, and it would help build up characters instead of having them needlessly exchange wins and losses to the point that no one gets over.

(4) Take two or three young wrestlers and give them larger-than-life personas and names/entrances

The death of “Macho Man” Randy Savage earlier this year reminded many people of a time when wrestlers would jump off the screen with their charisma and magnetism. I do not believe there is anyone in today’s wrestling universe that has that type of spectacular appeal. There is a reason that The Rock returning earlier in the year ignited such a spark in the programming. To illustrate an example of what is wrong with today’s wrestling, I will look at the old Legacy trio of Randy Orton, Cody Rhodes, and Ted DiBiase, all talented young wrestlers, but none of them really have the flash and excitement to truly appeal to a casual fan. When my friend, who does not watch wrestling regularly anymore, looked at them, he said they look like they came off an assembly line of generic action figures. Now let us look at their fathers, “Million Dollar Man” Ted DiBiase, “The American Dream” Dusty Rhodes, and “Cowboy” Bob Orton. All of them had completely different body-types, personas, and promo techniques.

I am not saying a complete return to a cartoonish universe will work, but I do believe WWE needs to get behind three young wrestlers and give them some type of larger-than-life character based on traits of their own personality and attempt to make them into stars. They should give them a flashy entrance with cool music instead of the generic tracks they have saddled their wrestlers with in recent years. WWE should celebrate the uniqueness of their Superstars that the average person can be in awe of.

(5) Do not underestimate the importance of good commentary

One of the most entertaining aspects of 1980s WWE was the banter between Gorilla Monsoon and Bobby Heenan or Vince McMahon and Jesse Ventura. I loved the dynamic between the babyface host and the funny heel with an alternate set of values but believes he is right in his views. At the time, most matches were squashes or time-fillers, but the announcers made the show fun to watch. Let us contrast that to the generic cookie-cutter faces and annoying color guys that host today’s shows. Thankfully WWE brought Jim Ross back, but he needs to be the main voice of the program. WWE should replace Josh Mathews and move Jerry Lawler and Booker T, both embarrassing themselves on commentary, to new roles. I would like to see Ross with a consistent, toned-down Heel Michael Cole. On Smackdown, they can experiment a bit, but anyone has to be better than Booker. I would like to see Mick Foley return as the color guy because he was becoming good in that position before he left WWE. If WWE can place a strong combinations at the announce table that can entertain while telling the story and building up the characters, the quality of the show will grow exponentially.

(6) They should keep the World Title belt on at least one champion until WrestleMania

There was a time when holding the World Championship was a prestigious honor. Those days have gone the day of the dinosaur. Now it is merely a symbolic gift that is given to anyone that has put in some solid service with the company. Not only that, it is passed around so often that holding the gold no longer has any value. I watch the show every week, and I often have no idea who the champion even is. WWE needs to rebuild the importance of the World Title. It will take a long time to do so, but one approach they can take is to structure a long-term plan around one champion and stick with it barring unforeseen disaster. I would like to see them take one of their current champions, either Orton or Del Rio, and have him hold the Championship until WrestleMania. I don’t want to hear about wrestlers being 15-time champions. I would prefer to see a strong long-term champion with many meaningful victories against credible challengers until losing the belt actually means something.

(7) No more heel or face turns until WrestleMania unless it organically takes place due to fan reaction

One of the most frustrating parts of watching wrestling in recent years is how characters completely change between hero and villain or vice versa without any real explanation as to why they have adopted a new set of values. If WWE wants to pride itself as competing with other mainstream entertainment companies they need to learn how to create consistent characters with a strong constitution. To develop that discipline, I would like them to keep all of their wrestlers as either babyfaces or heels without changing them until WrestleMania. This allows viewers to become familiar with and connect to the current incarnation of their characters. That way, if they turn, it would mean much more. Additionally, wrestlers should not suddenly shift between good and evil without a logical explanation for their change. Their should be a moment that causes them to shift so fans aren’t left confused as to why a character has abandoned their previous code of conduct.

(8) Create four tag teams with a cool name and set of tandem moves and keep them each together for at least one year

Tag team wrestling has been a dying art in wrestling for years, but with a little bit of effort it can thrive again. I am not a fan of thrusting random wrestlers together temporarily and calling them a tag team. I want to see the return to two Superstars in similar outfits with double team moves and a cool name and entrance music. There are so few tag teams today that the division has all but ceased to exist. One way to get viewers interested in tag action again is to create teams that have a collective identity and that are working towards a championship that actually means something. If WWE could take eight wrestlers and make four teams that will stay together for at least a year, then they could plant a seed to grow an area that was once one of the highlights of their programming.

(9) Bring back managers

There is not much explanation needed here. I would like to see at least two male managers with strong, unique personalities worked into the shows over the next year. It is true that Vickie Guerrero is an excellent performer, but I want to see the return of the arrogant, annoying villain with a stable of wrestlers that he or she is using for personal glory. This would not only help solidify the line between heel and face, but the manager would also serve as a mouthpiece for stars that are not yet established at promos.

(10) Write four-month story arcs for wrestlers and stick to the plan

Most of the great storylines in wrestling history took a long time to develop and built to a compelling conclusion that made sense and captivated audiences. Looking back at the ridiculous fly-by-night booking in recent months shows that WWE needs to write out their plots ahead of time and stick with the program. Otherwise, they risk losing any type of sustained fan interest or trust that what they are viewing will have any type of logical payoff. I would like to see Vince McMahon and his staff plan out long-term angles for its main characters and stay on track, whether it is going the way they want or not. Right now what is most important is that the stars are portrayed in exciting, intelligent tales of good and evil that makes sense to the average viewer.

None of the ten steps that I have outlined require major budget increases or philosophy changes. They are measures that can easily be weaved into the programming over the next few months and create a more entertaining and well-presented product. Just like movies, if WWE wants to be an entertainment company, they need to seek verisimilitude. They are at a major advantage to UFC because they are in control of their own universe and are able to create dramatic stories with larger than life characters.

If they develop the discipline to showcase this fictional world they create in the best manner possible, then the Road to WrestleMania will be a pathway to larger audiences and superhero tales that would even make comic books envious

Brady12

Back to top Go down

Ten Steps to Fix WWE's Storytelling Approach  Empty Re: Ten Steps to Fix WWE's Storytelling Approach

Post by Shot 21 LCFC Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:16 pm

I definately disagree with 1 2 and 3.

I like all these worked shoot promos. It is something fresh and different.

And Im sorry but bring back squash matches on Raw and Smackdown?!?! How will that make things interesting?! I could honestly say if they bought that back I would stop watching it.

Agree with what he says about managers though. They need some more. Michael Cole definately needs to be one of them too.

Shot 21 LCFC

Back to top Go down

Ten Steps to Fix WWE's Storytelling Approach  Empty Re: Ten Steps to Fix WWE's Storytelling Approach

Post by Samo Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:06 pm

Shot 21 LCFC wrote:
And Im sorry but bring back squash matches on Raw and Smackdown?!?! How will that make things interesting?! I could honestly say if they bought that back I would stop watching it.

He didnt say interesting, he said entertaining. I agree. We had 2 unbelievable PPV matchs between Punk and Cena, then got Punk-Cena 3 on RAW. Im not going to argue that RAW and SmackDown havent had some incredible matchs worthy of a PPV slot, but not the same week in week out.

Samo

Back to top Go down

Post by Bonesaw's ready Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:30 pm

Completely agree with a need to end the worked shoots, can't conceive anything more damaging to an entertainment program than breaking down the fourth wall. For me it serves only to wax the egos of those watching (I'm so smart, I know it's fake), or to acknowledge that the WWE is addressing issues its audience has with the product (CM Punk's promo where he listed all the greivences people have with the program).
Well, rather than speak directly to the audience about this I'd rather see it addressed internally.
The worked shoot feel to this has already led me to turn off from the only wrestling angle I've been interested in since I returned to watching WWE post WM27. That and Kevin Nash.

I also agree that the commentary needs to be more consistent to sell the performers, I think the WWE would find it easier to establish new faces if they rewarded their honourable behaviour on commentary. The commentators seems to switch their principles based on whose in the ring. Maybe this is the reality now after the anti-hero character has become more popular over the years.

Bonesaw's ready

Back to top Go down

Post by MtotheC Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:56 pm

A good read and some interesting thoughts, however all of these steps hark back to an earlier era in wrestling history which says to me that the original author would like the product he's watching to be more like it was when he was younger, which I think is the constant in terms of opinions for most wrestling fans. Basically he's saying if wrestling was more like it was in the past I would find it more entertaining!

MtotheC

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:11 pm

I wouldn't be a big fan of squash matches, I think if they hadn't ever gone to big names facing each other on free TV than they could have continued it, but I don't think there is any going back now, as there is no way that watching the stars squash people every week will pull in the viewers more than not knowing who is going to win when two top stars face each other.

I agree that shoot-promos should be kept at a minimum, I still hope the CM Punk storyline moves more away from the "shoot" style.

I do think managers are a simple solution to the guys who are bad on the mic, and I cannot work out why the WWE seems so scared about using them despite their successes in the past. The only worry I would have is that the manager might overshadow the actual wrestler, but as long as the wrestler is good enough in the ring, that shouldn't be a problem.

Tag team wrestling I'm not sure about again, it offers an alternative to the singles wrestling that everybody is used to, and offers so many more potential storylines and match-ideas than just singles wrestling. As well as that, tag teams are always an excellent way of being able to push somebody further up the card, as they are already known from their tag team days so it's not as huge a jump, the most recent example being Miz 'n' Morrison.

I think the rest of your points are pretty much just logical storytelling and should happen in any form of entertainment, be that wrestling, a TV drama, a film, a book or a game. WWE has an itchy trigger finger and if something isn't working immediatly they pull the plug and try something different, that is not going to be sustainable long-term and once this current generation of fans grows up, WWE has to think where is the fan base going to come from if people can't follow the stories logically.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:43 pm

I think squash matches should be brought back, not for RAW though, thats what SuperStars should be used for, there should easily be five or six 4 minute squash matches per week with split screens so they can air a promo from the guy at the same time, a 7-10 minute Main Event and an on stage Interview

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by pauline1981 Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:07 am

have no storylines just have fights

pauline1981

Back to top Go down

Post by User Name Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:52 am

the-gaffer wrote:I think squash matches should be brought back, not for RAW though, thats what SuperStars should be used for, there should easily be five or six 4 minute squash matches per week with split screens so they can air a promo from the guy at the same time, a 7-10 minute Main Event and an on stage Interview

Brodus Clay has just been squashing dudes on that for a few weeks now, Mason Ryan returned this week aswell

User Name

Back to top Go down

Post by pauline1981 Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:54 pm

User Name wrote:
the-gaffer wrote:I think squash matches should be brought back, not for RAW though, thats what SuperStars should be used for, there should easily be five or six 4 minute squash matches per week with split screens so they can air a promo from the guy at the same time, a 7-10 minute Main Event and an on stage Interview

Brodus Clay has just been squashing dudes on that for a few weeks now, Mason Ryan returned this week aswell
brodus clay rocks

pauline1981

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:05 pm

pauline1981 wrote:have no storylines just have fights

I think UFC is for you.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by pauline1981 Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:31 pm

invincibleILeak (CL-6WF) wrote:
pauline1981 wrote:have no storylines just have fights

I think UFC is for you.
ufc is to homoerotic

pauline1981

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down