The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Keeping it clean

+7
Union Cane
HumanWindmill
azania
D4thincarnation
TRUSSMAN66
88Chris05
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
11 posters

Go down

Keeping it clean Empty Keeping it clean

Post by Guest Thu 24 Feb - 2:35

Not a reference to the antics of people on the board although I'm sure there's a topic in there somewhere, but more a question re fighters.

There've been a few threads over the years about fighters who were proficient in the "dark arts" or who weren't afraid to play fast and loose with the Queensbury Rules. However I'd like to flip the question on it's head and ask who, in the history of professional boxing, conducted themselves with dignity and a sense of fair play? Marciano was known to be a gent outside the ropes but once inside, his use of elbows and forearms is well documented. Even greats like Ali weren't adverse to bending the rules occasionally.

My obvious choice is undoubtedly, the Black Prince himself, Peter Jackson. At all times, it appeared he was a fair fighter, never resorting to personal insults or "dirty" tactics to seek any advantage. Only rarely was he angered by the actions of an opponent and only after provocation did he seek to deal out a measure of retribution. Reports have it that Jackson once asked to enter the ring first much to the chagrin of his opponent but just as Jackson stepped through the ropes, his oppoent did the same thing. Jackson was annoyed at this display of unsporting conduct and proceded to deal out a meticulous beat down on his man.

So who else was known to be a sportsman in the boxing ring?

Last edited by DAVE667 on Thu 24 Feb - 5:19; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Keeping it clean Empty Re: Keeping it clean

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Thu 24 Feb - 2:39

Big Audley Harrison seems to be a perfect gent inside the ring.

So much that he never wanted to harm a hair on David Hayes head.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Thu 24 Feb - 2:43

Dave, hopefully you can shed some light on this rumour that I've heard, as you are 606's Peter Jackson expert (and I like the article by the way).

I've heard that giraffes never existed until Peter Jackson uppercutted a horse.

Can you verify?
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 24 Feb - 2:46

Stanley Ketchel......he took being nice to a whole different level even making sure other guys Wives were taken care of...

What a guy!!

Mike Weaver was a true gent of modern times..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Thu 24 Feb - 2:48

Deleted

Last edited by D4thincarnation on Wed 1 Jun - 1:20; edited 1 time in total

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 24 Feb - 2:49

Nice example Reborn but not quite what I meant. I think, especially in his early career, Bruno was far too nice (hanging his chin out for all and sundry to have a swing at) but later on in his career, his reputation for holding and hitting behind the head seemed to blight him.

The MASSIVELY under-rated Richie Woodall also appeared to be a bit of a gent in the ring and seemed to find that sort of thing beneath him. Would have been even more impressive to see him destroy Nigel Benn insde two rounds using nothing but the artistry of his boxing.

Chris, Jackson would never resort to such actions. Now, I gather that on his travels he actually spent some time in Wales where he became something of a local hero (this much is actually true, the rest may prove to be drivel). It's rumoured that he visited a local mine and, being the gentle soul he was, took time to visit the pit ponies. Such was the wondrous spirit of the man that these tough, hardy creatures decided to emulate him and hold their heads high thus as a result, their necks elongated to such a degree that, from a distance, they appear to be a bizarre looking Shetland giraffe!

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 24 Feb - 2:50

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Stanley Ketchel......he took being nice to a whole different level even making sure other guys Wives were taken care of...

What a guy!!

Mike Weaver was a true gent of modern times..

lol. What did Mike Weaver do?

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Thu 24 Feb - 3:02

Patterson for me, Dave.

Floyd seemed to be a living monument to decency and dignity whether in the ring or out of it,

He's one of the very few who was permitted to get away with calling Ali ' Cassius Clay ' ( though he shipped a savage beating for doing so, initially, ) since he always said ' it was the name his mother gave him. ' Ali, devoid of malice by then, continued to call Floyd ' The Rabbit ' and honours were shared.

Great man was Floyd Patterson.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Thu 24 Feb - 3:06

"The rabbit has a bad habit"

Rolling Eyes
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Thu 24 Feb - 3:11

For much the same reasons as Windy mentioning Patterson, I'd have to offer up Barney Ross, one of my all-time favourites. A clean fighter, a proper-all rounder and, according to those around him, a true gentleman outside the ring as well. A decorated war hero for his services in WW2 on top of all that - what more could anyone ask for.

Class personified, was Barney Ross.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Thu 24 Feb - 3:54

Afternoon Dave

Since I bang on about the old timers, I thought I'd heap praise on the modern guys. Lennox Lewis always class personified for me never resulted in any rough house tactics. Manny Pacquiao a true gent in every way turns into a ferecious powerpunching whirlwind inside, although always fair touching gloves at every opportunity and even giving some respite to an outgunned Margarito last time out, A couple of fighters who gained the limelight for the RIGHT reasons.

Cheers

Rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Thu 24 Feb - 3:55

rodders - pm for you

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by fearlessBamber Thu 24 Feb - 3:56

Jermain Taylor

fearlessBamber

Back to top Go down

Post by fearlessBamber Thu 24 Feb - 3:57

Michael Moorer

fearlessBamber

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 24 Feb - 4:09

Perhaps surprisingly one of the old time British refs whose name escapes was asked who the best guy he ever reffed was and he answered Eubank, said he was always respectful in the ring and when giving the instructions etc and never tried to pull a stroke.

Can only assume he was not reffing when Chris nutted that geezer!

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 24 Feb - 4:19

I was about to point out the glaringly obvious Dan Sherry incident

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 24 Feb - 4:23

Glad you did Dave couldn't remember his name for the life of me

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down