The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Was It Worth The Risk?

+5
RubyGuby
TheGreyGhost
Luckless Pedestrian
mckay1402
bedfordwelsh
9 posters

Go down

Was It Worth The Risk? Empty Was It Worth The Risk?

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:58 pm

So both Wales and England are going into their first games with key players ruled out and in our case doubts hanging over a few others.

So as the title says was it worth the risk carrying them players thorough the first couple of games?

Not really sure how bad Moodys' injury is and how close to playing he is BUT I have a sneaky suspicion that we won't see Jenkins or Wellies until at least the quarters if we make it and that puts a heavier burden on the rest of the squad.

I can understand the risk in taking Jenkins as he is one of few our recognised world class players, though that said I am sure Iestyn Thomas would and could do a job for us.

There were players left out that could have easily taken R Jones' slot and been fully fit from the off, S Jones less so but still could have taken fully fit players instead.

bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Was It Worth The Risk? Empty Re: Was It Worth The Risk?

Post by mckay1402 Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:01 pm

Yes I think it was worth the risk. Having experienced players in the squad is invaluable and even if they aren't playing they will be able to keep the younger players (of which there are many) a bit grounded. it's a huge thing for these boys and players like Ryan and Stephen have a huge part to play in encouraging them and bringing them on. So although they might not be able to play I absolutely think Gatland and Johnson have done the right thing
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:06 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:I have a sneaky suspicion that we won't see Jenkins or Wellies until at least the quarters if we make it

If we make it to the quarter finals, why bring Stephen Jones back at all? Clearly, we'll have done just fine without him.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:07 pm

mckay,

Fair point but I still think its a big risk especially in our group, as I said I am sneaky feeling we won't see S Jones or Jenkins before the quarters. W

Which means that Hook and James will pretty much have to play in all games as we do not have the luxury of being able to play bad and still win games.

bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreyGhost Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:14 pm

Well look at it the other way, South Africa rested most of their top side during most of the 3N and it still looks like they've lost Botha to an achillies. Unless PDV is up to his trickery.

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:16 pm

I don't agree. After the South Africa match we are unlikely to come up against a strong scrum in our group which means that James can be rested. Hook and preistland can cover each other so they will share responsibility. I don't see it as a bad thing to have world class players coming back in time for the quarter finals if we make it.

From Englands point of view Moody is just too good to leave behind and again the experience he brings is invaluable.
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:21 pm

mckay1402 wrote:I don't see it as a bad thing to have world class players coming back in time for the quarter finals if we make it.

But they still won't have had any game time. My view is that if neither of them have played by the quarter final, they shouldn't play in the quarter final.

Additionally, dropping players who have got us to the quarter final in favour of players who have sat and watched is pretty shabby and wouldn't be great for squad unity.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:22 pm

The only risk we've made is in taking Andy Powell! The rest are fine IMO - However we could well be out of the tournament after only 2 games - That is a very realistic proposition Sorry

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:32 pm

Going into ANY RWC game with a player carrying an injury is flawed,it can come back and bite you.SA scrum is not the strongest of the SH scrums,indeed it has been the weakest.
Although it is improving an edge there would be useful,as the Boks line out
is probably the worlds best.
The Refs are targetting certain areas,viz Scrum,Breakdown,Maul,Offside,and High and dangerous tackles.
They are SUPPOSED to have no teams or players,targetted but play the game as they see it.
IF that is the case the 7`s will be nullified,ditto rush.scramble defence,and the kick and chase.
Supposedly leading to a faster,more attractive game,wow that sounds same old tune.
Red cards are apparently the first option,how long are players suspende in a RWC if you get one?

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:36 pm

luckless_pedestrian wrote:
mckay1402 wrote:I don't see it as a bad thing to have world class players coming back in time for the quarter finals if we make it.

But they still won't have had any game time. My view is that if neither of them have played by the quarter final, they shouldn't play in the quarter final.

Additionally, dropping players who have got us to the quarter final in favour of players who have sat and watched is pretty shabby and wouldn't be great for squad unity.

lp,

I agree and if any coaches/management are worth they salt they will send their biggest lump of a forward or back straight at the player just coming back in.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:45 pm

emack2 wrote:.SA scrum is not the strongest of the SH scrums,indeed it has been the weakest.

Morning Alan, that is not entirely correct.

Our scrum is fine when PDv stops dabbling with CJ v d Linde and John smit at prop.

Beast, Smit/Bismarck and Jannie is a strong enough scrum. Without Owen Franks New ZEaland also looked weak.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by OzT Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:05 pm

Hey biltong, how are you?

Do you thing Botha's out of the Welsh game or was that a trick?

OzT

Back to top Go down

Post by OzT Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:06 pm

Oops no worries biltong, I see this is already being discussed in another thread

OzT

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:26 pm

G'day OzT, how are you mate, I just had a great weekend, went to a little picturesque town of Clarens in the northern Freestate, with my buddies on a "recce" with our Star Cruisers, had a good party and did 1000km's on my trusty steed.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:31 pm

Biltong?

Which key players are England missing? If you refer to Moody, i think you'll find a thread on this where a good split think he should not be in the squad?

With regards to warm up games. Yes you can wrapplayers up in cotton wool etc, but the bottom line is you need to play some tough test matches . You dont want to be going into the WC totally cold. Injuries can happen.

At least we are prepared.

What if Moody had played all the warm ups, then was injured in the 1st minute against Argies and out for the tourney.

If's and but's

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by OzT Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:36 pm

G'day biltong.

You talking of a Yammaha type of star cruiser???? If so defo a good ride!

AndI am good as, hell we won the 3Ns 1st time for many years, got to feel good.

Just killing time now, as most of us are, waiting for the real thing to start!!

OzT

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:56 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:Biltong?

Which key players are England missing? If you refer to Moody, i think you'll find a thread on this where a good split think he should not be in the squad?

With regards to warm up games. Yes you can wrapplayers up in cotton wool etc, but the bottom line is you need to play some tough test matches . You dont want to be going into the WC totally cold. Injuries can happen.

At least we are prepared.

What if Moody had played all the warm ups, then was injured in the 1st minute against Argies and out for the tourney.

If's and but's

GeordieFalcon, I think you want to address this to someone else, mate. Have no idea what you are on about. Hug
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:16 pm

Afoa was the All Blacks problem,he is at best a bench player,he is pants as a Scrummager.The mobility/versatility bit is rubbish the ability to run a 100metres in10secs.SHOULD not be on his CV,a props role is to Scrummage[primary]act as an lineout option,or support players.In the old days the jumper leapt into the air,once there he could be SUPPORTED[not Lifted]coming down.Clean out rucks,cover defend,and then take part in dribbling or passing rushes.
With Line out lifting now legal,he has to throw his jumper up in air[as the poor sole is no longer capable of jumping]
Ben Franks,Owen Franks,Woodcock are all great scrummagers and i admit i would be happier with Wyatt Crockett in the squad. NO BOK prop has impressed me since os Du randt[discussed this with David Leigh on the old 606].THE beast another Afoa highly mobile no great scrummager,it seems since there a relatively few scrums.Scrummagging is no longer a props primary role.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:53 am

Sorry Biltong Doh

Your right it should have been Bedford Welsh....

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:19 am

Geordie,

Moody is seen (by the management) at least as a very key member of the squad and is still overall captain, hence the 'missing key players quote'.

bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down