The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

France Name Team for Opening Fixture Against Japan

+12
wales606
Geordie
nottins_jones
westisbest
funnyExiledScot
flankertye
whocares
Mick(TEFC)
Luckless Pedestrian
red_stag
Boyne
MBTGOG
16 posters

Go down

France Name Team for Opening Fixture Against Japan Empty France Name Team for Opening Fixture Against Japan

Post by MBTGOG Tue 06 Sep 2011, 7:11 am

France: 15 Cedric Heymans, 14 Vincent Clerc, 13 Aurelien Rougerie, 12 Fabrice Estebanez, 11 Maxime Médard, 10 Francois Trinh-Duc, 9 Dimitri Yachvili, 8 Raphael Lakafia, 7 Imanol Harinordoquy, 6 Thierry Dusautoir (c), 5 Lionel Nallet, 4 Julien Pierre, 3 Nicolas Mas, 2 William Servat, 1 Fabien Barcella.
Replacements: 16 Dimitri Szarzewski, 17 Jean-Baptiste Poux, 18 Julien Bonnaire, 19 Pascal Papé, 20 Morgan Parra, 21 David Skrela, 22 David Marty

Thoughts?

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

France Name Team for Opening Fixture Against Japan Empty Re: France Name Team for Opening Fixture Against Japan

Post by Boyne Tue 06 Sep 2011, 7:21 am

Thoughts?

My initial thought is that 100% of the French subs would make it onto any other home nations starting 15.

🤦

Boyne

Back to top Go down

France Name Team for Opening Fixture Against Japan Empty Re: France Name Team for Opening Fixture Against Japan

Post by MBTGOG Tue 06 Sep 2011, 7:22 am

I doubt Skrela, Marty and Papé would but possibly the rest.

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Boyne Tue 06 Sep 2011, 7:25 am

Id have Marty ahead of Darce and Pape ahead of Donners. Anywho, great team and I hope they do well.

PS Im sure England and Scotland would take Marty as well. Wales and Scotland Skrela.

Boyne

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Tue 06 Sep 2011, 7:40 am

No way Skrela or Pape would. Marty might possibly for Ireland or Scotland.

Lakafia has done very well to earn a starting spot ahead of Bonnaire, Picamoles and Oudraogo.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Tue 06 Sep 2011, 7:42 am

I genuinely don't think it's any coincidence that Ireland played their best rugby against France when Skrela was at fly half. France really should pray that nothing happens to Trinh-Duc.

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Boyne Tue 06 Sep 2011, 7:43 am

Which is bizarre because TD is not an amazing 10.

I think Skrela is suffering from the same maladie as K Earls..

Boyne

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Tue 06 Sep 2011, 7:45 am

MBTGOG wrote:I genuinely don't think it's any coincidence that Ireland played their best rugby against France when Skrela was at fly half. France really should pray that nothing happens to Trinh-Duc.

+1
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Tue 06 Sep 2011, 7:46 am

Trinh-Duc might not be amazing but he is pretty damn good. He has really improved over the past year.

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 06 Sep 2011, 7:58 am

MBTGOG wrote:France really should pray that nothing happens to Trinh-Duc.

Absolument.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Mick(TEFC) Tue 06 Sep 2011, 8:15 am

ML says it's his standard team, and that if the French had the privilege to play a quarter final, things would be different.

Skrela,after an injury riddled season, has things to prove;he may not be a great attacking player, but there are no questions about his defensive capacities.
Mick(TEFC)
Mick(TEFC)

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Tue 06 Sep 2011, 8:17 am

happy with this team - ML was initially hinting that he would go for the team that played Ireland in Bordeaux - this one looks like our strongest possible XV at the moment (bar barcella whose form might still be dodgy but he need game time anyway).

Trinh-Duc is underrated, his kicking game might not be fantatsic but all the creativity/speed the french can show is coming from him. he looks average vs a cooper or carter and have not got the experience of a contepomi but I'd rather have him than any of the other NH fly-half.

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by flankertye Tue 06 Sep 2011, 8:19 am

Not an expert at french rugby, but Haymens over Medard at fullback? What on earth.

flankertye

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 06 Sep 2011, 8:24 am

Harinordiquy at 7, Lakafia at 8, Yachvilli at 9 and Estabenez at 12 stand out for me. Classic Lievremont.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Mick(TEFC) Tue 06 Sep 2011, 8:26 am

The Toulouse back three are interchangeable,but Clerc on the wing is a certainty.Pity they didn't take Poitrenaud.
Mick(TEFC)
Mick(TEFC)

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Tue 06 Sep 2011, 8:28 am

flankertye wrote:Not an expert at french rugby, but Haymens over Medard at fullback? What on earth.

it's just that we need Medart on the wings more than at fullback!

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Tue 06 Sep 2011, 9:00 am

Like the look of that team.

Looking forward to the France/All Blacks game.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Tue 06 Sep 2011, 9:05 am

Heymans is actually one of my favourite players.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 06 Sep 2011, 9:07 am

He scored a great try when France beat New Zealand in New Zealand a couple of seasons ago. Quality player.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by nottins_jones Tue 06 Sep 2011, 10:13 am

The only way we (Wales) would take Skrela is if he was playing 12 and wouldn't have the kicking duties. I think that's an awesome France line-up. Medard is wasted on the wing though, I'd swap him around with Heymans for the full backline potential to be unleashed.
nottins_jones
nottins_jones

Back to top Go down

Post by nottins_jones Tue 06 Sep 2011, 10:17 am

Mick(TEFC) wrote:The Toulouse back three are interchangeable,but Clerc on the wing is a certainty.Pity they didn't take Poitrenaud.

I disagree. Poitrenaud can be a wonderful attacker but I've always seen him as a massive liability in defence. I didn't expect him nor Bastareud to make the RWC squad when they were last being talked up as world class in 2010. Best idea Lievremont has ever made was to leave them out.
nottins_jones
nottins_jones

Back to top Go down

Post by Mick(TEFC) Tue 06 Sep 2011, 10:22 am

Best idea Lievremont has ever made was to leave them out.

I disagree; his best idea was to leave after the RWC.
Mick(TEFC)
Mick(TEFC)

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 06 Sep 2011, 10:23 am

"Harinordiquy at 7, Lakafia at 8,"

Yeah thats the bit that i noticed aswell. Surely Harin will be 8 for the most part though.

Hell of a player he might be......a 7 he is not.

Is this yet another sign that the back rows are heading towards being 3 6'5s in the back three. People who can do everything well.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by nottins_jones Tue 06 Sep 2011, 10:41 am

Not a Lievremont fan then... He could help France pull something off in the World Cup though. Win against NZ in NZ during his reign might I remind you. Wink
nottins_jones
nottins_jones

Back to top Go down

Post by Mick(TEFC) Tue 06 Sep 2011, 10:44 am

Yes, and I was an ardent fan for the first couple of years when it was obvious that he was giving everyone a run;then when he decided to stick to a group of 35, I and others, started to worry Wink
Mick(TEFC)
Mick(TEFC)

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Tue 06 Sep 2011, 10:45 am

Parra is the second best SH in the NH (behind Yachvilli), although hes possibly the best (I havent been as impressed with Yachvilli lately), and France get to bring him off the bench?! Erm
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by deadfred Tue 06 Sep 2011, 10:52 am

If France win the WC the genius of MLs selections will be paramount. He has created a situation where injuries are not a great threat to France as they have such strength and recent international experience in depth. The team that wins the WC will probably have handled the injuries they get with the smallest impact and France of all teams are in the best position to do this.

The WC is about the whole squad and France arguable have the strongest 30 if not the strongest 15.

deadfred

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Tue 06 Sep 2011, 11:15 am

Deadfred - having the strongest 30 is useless if you don't know your best 15.

It hurt NZ in last RWC and it may happen here with France. Its great to know you have 30 guys who will do a job but what happes for a must win game. Who plays?
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Tue 06 Sep 2011, 11:56 am

Not happy with Parra being put on the bench, I'll have to change my fantasy team! Will Yachvili be kicking at goal?

robbo277

https://twitter.com/#!/robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathman_in_London Tue 06 Sep 2011, 11:56 am

My first thought is that poor Japan are going to be spending a lot of time under their posts. That is a very strong team. Will Medard and Heymans switch around for attack/defence do you think?

Bathman_in_London

Back to top Go down

Post by jb1973 Tue 06 Sep 2011, 5:54 pm

who will be the goal kicker yashvili? (sp)

jb1973

Back to top Go down

Post by Mick(TEFC) Wed 07 Sep 2011, 3:18 am

Yep, Yach is place kicker
Mick(TEFC)
Mick(TEFC)

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Wed 07 Sep 2011, 5:00 am

French game plan will not be very elaborated (dont expect fancy passing game with lots of flair, too late for that) : heavy pack+strong defence + territory kicking game seem to be their recipe. Yachvili is definitely better in this scheme than Parra (a more dynamic but less experienced SH).

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down