The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Club or Country ?

+13
Josiah Maiestas
Kay Fabe
ReallyReal
User Name
westisbest
sodhat
ADMIN
MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch
Crimey
Dass
Tranquil Chaos
Liam_Main
Kenny
17 posters

Go down

Club or Country ? Empty Club or Country ?

Post by Kenny Tue 06 Sep 2011, 11:42 pm

Watching the England game this evening i had a heated discussion with a friend regarding whether you would prefer your club to be successful or your country .

So the question is simple which is more important to you your club or your country............If you had to choose your club side to win their league or cups ........or .........your national side to win a trophy ........................ which would it be ? and NO sitting on the fence .

Last edited by KingKenny7Heaven on Tue 06 Sep 2011, 11:57 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : phrasing)
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Club or Country ? Empty Re: Club or Country ?

Post by Liam_Main Wed 07 Sep 2011, 12:55 am

I would rather watch Newcastle vs Sunderland then England vs say Brazil or Argentina. When it comes to World Cups though i'm all England.

Tough one but i'm edging towards my club.
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000094431208

Back to top Go down

Post by Tranquil Chaos Wed 07 Sep 2011, 1:04 am

Club for me, the thing that highlighted it for me is whenever liverpoolput in a god awful performance, my feelings then are alot stronger than when england do the same, plus i do like banter that club football tends to bring
Tranquil Chaos
Tranquil Chaos

Back to top Go down

Post by Dass Wed 07 Sep 2011, 1:06 am

Country every single time I'm just extremely patriotic, I'm always more depressed watching Scotland lose over Hibs and I get enough practice with both.

Dass

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Wed 07 Sep 2011, 6:57 am

I think I support club over country to be honest, perhaps it's just there are more club games so I feel more attached to Liverpool than I do to England.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch Wed 07 Sep 2011, 7:38 am

I would rather see Wales merely QUALIFY for a tournament, than see Watford win the premier league. I'd love to feel part of that big tournament atmosphere, the excitement of the build up to your team's game on telly. Rather than having to tag onto England's support. Being a Welsh football fan hurts - consistently. So a reprieve would be amazing.

Back to top Go down

Post by ADMIN Wed 07 Sep 2011, 7:48 am

Club no question.
I struggle to cheer on international players that every other week of the season I can't stand (A. Cole, Terry, Gerrard etc).

ADMIN
Founder
Founder

https://www.606v2.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Dass Wed 07 Sep 2011, 7:58 am

Can't tell much on such a tiny amount of data but I wonder if the source pool was wide enough if we would see England being different to the rest of the home nations.

Is club over country a more English premise?.

Dass

Back to top Go down

Post by MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch Wed 07 Sep 2011, 8:22 am

Like you said Dass - you can't really tell on such a small sample, but I imagine that is probably the case.

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Wed 07 Sep 2011, 9:16 am

I'm finding that my views on this are changing the older I get, and as it stands I'm ending up closer to club over country.

I don't know whether it's the media treatment of England, the players, the performances or the fact the FA don't know their ar5e from their elbow, but I'm definitely not as bothered by England's performances as I was before.

That isn't to say I don't care or want us to win; I do, desperately, but I think it matters less to me now than it did. Come Euro 2012 I'll probably have changed my tune and be wearing a full England ensemble though.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch Wed 07 Sep 2011, 9:18 am

Also it would depend when you ask the question.

During a football season people are more likely to say club.
During the summer (and a tournament) they'll probably say country.

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Wed 07 Sep 2011, 9:25 am

Both for me.

I'd just love to see Ireland qualify for a tourament.

Also would love to see Villa get back into europe.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Wed 07 Sep 2011, 9:51 am

It would be club every time for me , simply for the same reasons as Hero i cant cheer players i cant stand week in week out for their clubs .
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by User Name Wed 07 Sep 2011, 10:14 am

Club - Just not a fan of International Football.

User Name

Back to top Go down

Post by ReallyReal Wed 07 Sep 2011, 1:39 pm

It seems to depend on the team you support Rolling Eyes

As a proud yet realistic Wigan Athletic fan I dream of seeing us win a major trophy, yet as an equally proud Englishman, I'd do pretty much anything to see us win the Euros or the WC, neither seem likely to happen in the near future, but I've always dreamed of watching an English captain lift the WC, I just hope I live long enough for my dream to come true.

ReallyReal

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 07 Sep 2011, 1:59 pm

Club for me everytime.it's like king kenny said further up, I can't bring myself to cheer for players who week in week out I despise when playing for their club

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Wed 07 Sep 2011, 4:49 pm

I'd love to see Scotland do well but it's not even close, I'd disband thw National team id it helped my club

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Wed 07 Sep 2011, 5:01 pm

Likes of Lampard and Gerrard and other experienced always gets picked despite having sh** form, this makes it impossible to want them to win. There should be a selection process similar to cricket, as it currently stands it's a waste of time viewing.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 07 Sep 2011, 5:14 pm

Josiah Maiestas wrote: There should be a selection process similar to cricket

I have been banging on about this for donkeys and wonder if it will ever happen? Lets be honest almost every club manager in the world is having players brought for them by chairmen, directors of football, sporting directors, tea ladies etc etc so I see no reason why the head coach of a national team can't just train and pick a team from a pool of in-form deserving players chosen by a board of selectors???

If the above question was asked 20 years ago I'd guess that the majority would have gone with national success over club success but the monster that is the Premier League has turned half of our players into hate figures.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Wed 07 Sep 2011, 9:39 pm

FreekShow wrote:

I have been banging on about this for donkeys and wonder if it will ever happen? Lets be honest almost every club manager in the world is having players brought for them by chairmen, directors of football, sporting directors, tea ladies etc etc so I see no reason why the head coach of a national team can't just train and pick a team from a pool of in-form deserving players chosen by a board of selectors???

If the above question was asked 20 years ago I'd guess that the majority would have gone with national success over club success but the monster that is the Premier League has turned half of our players into hate figures.

Well said OK
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by hodge Wed 07 Sep 2011, 10:27 pm

Being a fan of Bristol City, I would rather see us have a year/period of sucess or what is considerd sucess for us than England win a euro/world cup, don't get me wrong I still want England to do well and go watch them, but I feel more connected to my club by going to watch them 20 or so times a season

hodge

Back to top Go down

Post by jbeadlesbigrighthand Thu 08 Sep 2011, 5:41 pm

FreekShow wrote:

Cricket and football are entirely different beasts. Whereas football is a team playing a team at all times, cricket is essentially a series of one-on-one contests. In cricket, tactics revolve around how you will play against a particular player. In football, tactics centre around how the entire team will interact. It's why selection decisions in cricket are limited to 5 vs 6 batsmen and 0,1,2 spinners, while football has an almost infinite option of formations and roles within formations.

jbeadlesbigrighthand

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 08 Sep 2011, 6:14 pm

jbeadlesbigrighthand wrote:
FreekShow wrote:

Cricket and football are entirely different beasts. Whereas football is a team playing a team at all times, cricket is essentially a series of one-on-one contests. In cricket, tactics revolve around how you will play against a particular player. In football, tactics centre around how the entire team will interact. It's why selection decisions in cricket are limited to 5 vs 6 batsmen and 0,1,2 spinners, while football has an almost infinite option of formations and roles within formations.

I was talking about a squad selection based on merit and not tactics which would obviously be the head coach/managers task. The point Josiah was making was that under-performing players are getting in on reputation alone ahead of form. I don't think a selection panel is such a bad idea.

The bottom line is that England will take a 23 man squad to the Euros made up of 3 GK's, and probably 7 defenders, 8 midfielders and 5 attackers regardless of who their opposition is.

What is worrying is that today I have read Harry Redknapp waxing lyrical about Rio Ferdinand and Frank Lampard which suggests to me that should he get the job then we will probably be stuck with the old guard for another two years at least!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Grizzly Mon 12 Sep 2011, 9:02 pm

Looks like the answers in here mirror the attitudes of the players, supporters it seems would prefer to watch their clubs play and the players we know have no interest in playing for England.
We are the laughing stock of the world because our players are the only ones in world football who seem to prioritise their clubs so why not just pull out of all international competition, would seem a sensible solution.

Grizzly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 12 Sep 2011, 9:53 pm

hard decision to be honest, but you would have to choose country surely.

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon 12 Sep 2011, 10:36 pm

It's got to be club they pay the wages.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down