The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Charity Fight

+11
Union Cane
paperbag_puncher
The Galveston Giant
TRUSSMAN66
Rowley
coxy0001
Fists of Fury
Sir. badgerhands
Michaels, Sean
Scottrf
The Boss
15 posters

Go down

Charity Fight Empty Charity Fight

Post by The Boss Wed 7 Sep - 18:24

Morning lads,

Just a quick question I've got about a charity fght I have coming up. I used to post on the old 606 under the name of ArmaghCyclone if any of you can remember me and have been reading here for a while.

Basically I've been training for about a month now and I've noticed that I'm quite comfortable fighting out of the orthodox or southpaw stance. I know, however, that this could go either way come fight night and I could end up looking very stupid if i keep switch hitting and end up getting knocked out. So was just wondering whether any of you can give me a bit of advice on whether to stick to one stance or try to mix it up a bit.

Any other tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Chees

The Boss

Back to top Go down

Charity Fight Empty Re: Charity Fight

Post by The Boss Wed 7 Sep - 18:25

Obviously meant Cheers.

The Boss

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed 7 Sep - 18:32

You don't have a trainer mate? That's who you should listen to.

How do you train? I'd say train in one stance and stick to it. I really don't know many effective switch hitters. Most of the time one stance is more effective and you handicap yourself in the other. If you fell you are equal in each perhaps you are trying to do everything and aren't as good as you could be out of your more natural stance. That said I don't watch much amateur and maybe it does well to throw someone off.

Which is your more powerful hand? Most like to jab with their weaker hand so the overhand right is a powershot. If you focus almost exclusively on the jab maybe you want to use your stronger hand there.

Honestly you probably need advice of someone who has watched you.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaels, Sean Wed 7 Sep - 18:33

Where is One Bomb when you need him?
Michaels, Sean
Michaels, Sean

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir. badgerhands Wed 7 Sep - 18:37

Michaels, Sean wrote:Where is One Bomb when you need him?

Hard to follow One Bomb's advice though Sean.

Especially when it would be along the lines of "throw a 15 punch combo thus rendering your opponent unconscious within 9 seconds".

Sir. badgerhands

Back to top Go down

Post by The Boss Wed 7 Sep - 18:38

Cheers Scott.

I've been training with a few boxers and kickboxers from my area and taking any advice I can get.. As the title suggests its a fundraiser night so I got roped into fighting and to be honest it hasn't been the most well organised night.

My right is the stronger hand so I usually do start off in orthodox and then as the round progresses find myself switch hitting. Probably a lack of concentration from myself that I find myself in the southpaw stance, I know. It'll be my first time in a boxing ring so the nerves are starting to kick in.

The Boss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir. badgerhands Wed 7 Sep - 18:43

The Boss wrote:It'll be my first time in a boxing ring so the nerves are starting to kick in.

Good luck chap, hope it all goes well for you.

Sir. badgerhands

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Wed 7 Sep - 18:43

Armagh, how are things, mate? I remember you. Glad you've began contributing.

Good luck with the fight, if I were you I'd stick to orthodox (providing that is your most comfortable overall). Keep it simple, keep it safe. As you say, switch hitting at that level and getting clobbered would be embarassing!!

Or, as suggested above, do a one bomb and hit with such power that you go through their guard and knock them clean out of the ring (after you've KO'd all of your sparring partners, of course).

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Wed 7 Sep - 18:45

One Bomb was Shinjetsu.... who i thought was our esteemed administrator "fists of fury"?!

As my golf pro said, keep things as simple as possible as you're not ready to run. Get the basics right and you'll improve really quickly. Switch hitting from orthodox to southpaw isn't keeping things simple. For one you've gotta learn 2 different stances to balance/move which isn't as easy as people think, then there's the defencive side of things etc etc.

Look, it's just easier to pick your more favoured stance and going from there. Jumping around stances isn't going to confuse anyone but yourself and probably make you look a bit silly as you go southpaw and get sparked.

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 7 Sep - 18:45

I'd go for the full on switch hitting, Johnny Nelson style skirt shorts and flip over the top rope a la Naz, would also be tempted to enter the ring on a magic carpet. Have a bit of self belief.

Good to see you over here Armagh

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by The Boss Wed 7 Sep - 18:50

Cheers lads,

I have decided to start making a bit of a contribution again any chance I get. I think I will end up sticking to orthodox. Fights next Saturday night so I'm planning on getting a few more nights of sparring and extra training in so hopefully things go to plan. I'm a gaelic footballer first and foremost so I'm hoping the strength and fitness from that should stand to me.

Things are good with me just been too busy and not ner enough to a computer for long enough at a time to get writing on this befor now although you's have done a good job of making the forum. What about yourself?

That was one of my worries to be honest Coxy, so it looks like I've been talked into sticking orthodox.

On a lighter note I'm still trying to think of an entrance song if any one has any suggestions.

The Boss

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed 7 Sep - 18:51

Next Saturday and you just picked your stance? You're getting hammered.

Only kidding (but not really), good luck.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by The Boss Wed 7 Sep - 18:53

Nah Scott I've been fighting orthodox from I started training. I've just been wondering about the switch hitting that I find myself doing. You're probably right though haha.

The Boss

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Wed 7 Sep - 19:00

The Boss wrote:Cheers lads,

I have decided to start making a bit of a contribution again any chance I get. I think I will end up sticking to orthodox. Fights next Saturday night so I'm planning on getting a few more nights of sparring and extra training in so hopefully things go to plan. I'm a gaelic footballer first and foremost so I'm hoping the strength and fitness from that should stand to me.

Things are good with me just been too busy and not ner enough to a computer for long enough at a time to get writing on this befor now although you's have done a good job of making the forum. What about yourself?

That was one of my worries to be honest Coxy, so it looks like I've been talked into sticking orthodox.

On a lighter note I'm still trying to think of an entrance song if any one has any suggestions.

Very well, thanks.

How about 'music when the lights go out' by Arctic Monkeys...seems apt for your first fight Wink

Coxy, for the record, I'm not shinjetsu, or One Bomb, legend though he was.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Boss Wed 7 Sep - 19:02

Good shout fists! I'd been thinking Johnny Cash- Hurt or even a bit of Jimi Hendrix- All along the watch tower just for a good guitar entrance.

The Boss

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 7 Sep - 19:03

If it's a charity fight why don't you just get stuck in it's hardly likely in a charity match you'll be pitched with Roy Jones..

As it's for charity you want to put on some entertainment.....Can't see people really wanting to see a Michael Nunn switch hitting exhibition....

If you see some flesh hit it...would be my advice..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Wed 7 Sep - 19:06

Yeah, go in windmilling!! Swing for the fences!

I began boxing training last night, safe to say the legs/waist are a little stiff today! Great fun though, enjoyed it. Technique is not as easy as you would think, is it?

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed 7 Sep - 19:07

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:If it's a charity fight why don't you just get stuck in it's hardly likely in a charity match you'll be pitched with Roy Jones..
Don't say that, he'll lose hope of the win.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by The Boss Wed 7 Sep - 19:09

Truss I think that's what will happen when the gameplan goes out the window and I start to hear a bit of background noise.

Fists, it's definutely not that easy.. Trying to keep the hands up straight away after throwing a punch is hard for me.

The Boss

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaels, Sean Wed 7 Sep - 19:13

The Boss wrote:

Making your mind up - Bucks Fizz
Michaels, Sean
Michaels, Sean

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Wed 7 Sep - 19:20

I wouldn't advise switch hitting especially with no experience, if you're opponent is experienced then he will attack you every time you try and switch, you also run the risk of getting tagged while standing square on to your opponent. You have a lot more time in sparring to try things out but you won't have a moment to breathe in the fight, if you do plan on switch hitting make sure you change stance well out of range.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Wed 7 Sep - 19:21

The Boss wrote:Truss I think that's what will happen when the gameplan goes out the window and I start to hear a bit of background noise.

Fists, it's definutely not that easy.. Trying to keep the hands up straight away after throwing a punch is hard for me.

Footwork was what I found hardest. Staying balanced when throwing a punch/slipping a punch is pretty difficult, though I'm sure that'll improve in time.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by paperbag_puncher Wed 7 Sep - 19:23

I wouldn't go with hurt. Its great but a bit slow and the opening line is a bit ominous. "I hurt myself today..."

paperbag_puncher

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 7 Sep - 19:42

Fisty...Pacing myself was the hardest part....with all the adrenalin prefight and during the opening minute I always found myself tired after the first round!!

No amount of sparring prepares you for a real fight..

I read somewhere that Nigel Benn is preparing for a charity match in Ireland soon.....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Wed 7 Sep - 19:48

Ha, Armagh is going to step inside the ring to be met with the sight of an angry Nigel Benn staring him down...good luck, mate.

With last night being my first training session I'm some way off sparring and any thoughts of a fight, but I can imagine the adrenaline rush must be crazy. Nerves, also.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 7 Sep - 19:49

Do not go for Mama said knock you out by LL Cool J, so obvious. Personally I'd go for Steps

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 7 Sep - 19:56

"I was a male stripper in a coco bar....strip for me babe strip for you" would be good music!!

That way he won't want to come inside and you'll be able to pick him off.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 7 Sep - 19:58

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:"I was a male stripper in a coco bar....strip for me babe strip for you" would be good music!!

Yo do leave yourself open on occasions Truss

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed 7 Sep - 19:58

rowley wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:"I was a male stripper in a coco bar....strip for me babe strip for you" would be good music!!

Yo do leave yourself open on occasions Truss
Ooooer.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 7 Sep - 20:01

Only to sick minds!! Cool

We wouldn't be thinking your way at the blue oyster..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Wed 7 Sep - 20:03

What charity is the fight for, out of interest?

We will be expecting a full after fight report, you know!

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 7 Sep - 20:06

Fists of Fury wrote:What charity is the fight for, out of interest?

We will be expecting a full after fight report, you know!

If the hospital has Wi-fi obviously

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Wed 7 Sep - 20:07

Fists of Fury wrote:We will be expecting a full after fight report, you know!

Or at least a detailed description of the venue's ceiling...

Wink
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Wed 7 Sep - 20:13

Laugh

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Wed 7 Sep - 20:25

The Boss wrote:I used to post on the old 606 under the name of ArmaghCyclone if any of you can remember me

Remember you very well, Armagh, and always enjoyed your input.

Warm welcome aboard.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 7 Sep - 20:30

paperbag_puncher wrote:I wouldn't go with hurt. Its great but a bit slow and the opening line is a bit ominous. "I hurt myself today..."

Tyson Fury should adopt it as his own

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 7 Sep - 20:33

remember... it's the taken apart that counts!!!!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed 7 Sep - 20:33

I thought it was the ref...

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Wed 7 Sep - 20:35

I was always more comfortable fighting out of the southpaw stance despite being right handed. I found I had more snap in my jab and a decent straight left hand.

Everyone is different though so you should listen to your trainer.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by tommyhearnsprodigalson Wed 7 Sep - 23:29

I'm the same Kev

When i started a year ago i was orthodox but my jab was terrible so it was suggested going for the Ortiz way of thinking and like you my jab was instantly better, it took a while to get my left up to scratch though, it must of felt like i was tickling the bag at first, now its only a few points off my right hand on one of them arcade punch balls (although not a very good indicator) for the OP i'd suggest getting in a stance and sticking to it

tommyhearnsprodigalson

Back to top Go down

Post by huw Thu 8 Sep - 1:58

The Boss wrote:Good shout fists! I'd been thinking Johnny Cash- Hurt or even a bit of Jimi Hendrix- All along the watch tower just for a good guitar entrance.

If Hendrix you should go for Foxy Lady and put your fingers up as 'fox ears' whenever they are mentioned (like on Waynes World) but maintain a Tyson like stare. Would be VERY funny and possibly unsettle the other guy.

huw

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Thu 8 Sep - 8:37

huw wrote:
The Boss wrote:Good shout fists! I'd been thinking Johnny Cash- Hurt or even a bit of Jimi Hendrix- All along the watch tower just for a good guitar entrance.

If Hendrix you should go for Foxy Lady and put your fingers up as 'fox ears' whenever they are mentioned (like on Waynes World) but maintain a Tyson like stare. Would be VERY funny and possibly unsettle the other guy.
Laugh Quality, in terms of music for me it would depend on what kind of fight you were going to fight and obviously what music you like. For me it would probably be something from the 90's.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Thu 8 Sep - 17:44

The Galveston Giant wrote:
huw wrote:

Laugh Quality, in terms of music for me it would depend on what kind of fight you were going to fight and obviously what music you like. For me it would probably be something from the 90's.

So you would be fighting a cheesy, badly dressed fight, armed with glow sticks and a curtains hair style?

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Boss Thu 8 Sep - 18:41

If Nigel Benn were standing on the other side of the Ring then I have been feeling a bit of pain in my shoulder that could flare up on the walk to the ring.
I'll be sure to let you's know ho I get on and if you don't hear from me for a while just assume that I won laughing

The Boss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down