The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ireland not showing on Australia's radar.

+14
kiakahaaotearoa
GunsGerms
OzT
Bujin
Boyne
Pal Joey
Biltong
Geordie
boomeranga
aucklandlaurie
D24tress
Tayto
rodders
MunsterMac
18 posters

Go down

Ireland not showing on Australia's radar. Empty Ireland not showing on Australia's radar.

Post by MunsterMac Wed 07 Sep 2011, 10:34 am

From reading the Aussie media over the last while it would seem that the general concensus is that Australia have already won Group C with Italy and Ireland giving them useful workouts along the way and are already planning for the knockout stages where New Zealand are the most likely hinderence to them winning the Webb Ellis for the 3rd time.

Example.

Sydney Morning Herald's Rugbyheaven website:

"Fortunately, the Wallabies have been presented with an excellent early opportunities in their opening group C encounters - against Italy and Ireland - to work on their possible Achilles heels and build on the best bits from the Tri Nations. The Italians will be rigorous up front if maddeningly limited in their broader game plan. But they have the players to test the legitimacy of advancements in Australian forward play. Ireland, injury-prone and unconvincing in their preparation, will pray for the rain that will allow them to take the Munster approach. Both tests are welcome."

In an article which is over 1500 words this is the only mention of Ireland whereas New Zealand are mentioned 25 times.

I'm not of course confusing the Aussie media with the team and management but the signs are (and Matt Williams hinted as such on Newstalk last week) that if nothing else our disasterous August has convinced an Australia which was already sceptical of our merits that Ireland do not pose a serious threat.

If Ireland have been holding something in reserve (straw clutching I know) then is there is the possibility that Australia will be caught slightly off guard next week?

MunsterMac

Back to top Go down

Ireland not showing on Australia's radar. Empty Re: Ireland not showing on Australia's radar.

Post by rodders Wed 07 Sep 2011, 10:41 am

To be fair we haven't done much in recent times to deserve to be on the ozzie radar.

That is good news if the Auzzies have one eye on KO stage though and see us as a warm-up for the QF.

I think they will be full focused though and we will have to be at our very best not to be blown away.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Ireland not showing on Australia's radar. Empty Re: Ireland not showing on Australia's radar.

Post by Tayto Wed 07 Sep 2011, 10:46 am

Well they wrote the same garbage before meeting England in the last WC and look what happened to them.

Rugby is a funny old game on any given day and the more the Aussies big it up, better the feeling of seeing them munch humble pie.

Tayto

Back to top Go down

Post by D24tress Wed 07 Sep 2011, 10:49 am

We have been poor and i think it is good that we are under the radar, cause we have some special players and if it clicks right we could steamroll australia(eveything would need to go more then right) but it is possible.

I hope QC is over confident and holds on to the ball for a second too long and gets 1f-ed up

I dont care what my head says anymore i'm backing us
in the words of tommy teirnan

"i'll propably win the fecking thing"

D24tress

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Wed 07 Sep 2011, 10:58 am

Munstermac
just because it wasn't in the SMH doesn't mean that Robbie deans has not got a route of progression going from Two good victories over NZ and SA. maintain the momentum,make few changes going into Italy,and if that team is still running hot,then they will be fizzing to play you guys 6 days later.
Australia is a team that needs confidence, and once they've got it they thrive on it, to some it may appear cocky or even arrogant,but its not its just their chemistry.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by boomeranga Wed 07 Sep 2011, 11:08 am

MunsterMac - Did you actually read it or just skim to see how many times Ireland was mentioned? Most of the article is about our flaws and how success can blind you to them - hence the title "Be warned, recent success may blind Wallabies to dangers".

We also dont play you this week. We play Italy. That's probably why it talks about them more than you.

boomeranga

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 07 Sep 2011, 11:13 am

Any team with:
O'Connell
O'Driscoll
O'Brien
Ferris
Heaslip
Bowe
etc

should not be taken lightly....regardless of form.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by MunsterMac Wed 07 Sep 2011, 12:57 pm

Boomeranga - Yep read the whole thing and yes while the article's theme is towards warning of not overlooking flaws in the Aussie play it's main focus is on fixing those flaws so as to be in a better position to eventually take on the All Blacks.

Ireland and Italy are just useful stepping stones in that direction.

And yes you do play Italy next week (not that they get too many mentions either) but as I say that game (along with the Irish game) is deemed as just an opportunity to improve for the greater tests to come.

Whatever happened to taking one game at a time and not looking too far ahead?

MunsterMac

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 07 Sep 2011, 1:04 pm

You can't take what the media put out there as the approach the Assies will take. 🤦
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Wed 07 Sep 2011, 1:21 pm

I read on Tuesday that the Wallabies are treating each match as a 'Final' so I guess that would include the Ireland match.

Don't worry - they will be well prepared for that match as well.

It may sound like overkill (to treat the USA and Russia as 'finals' too) but I'd much prefer to hear that kind of general talk rather than all the nonsense hype about resting certain players for certain matches or even fielding 2nd/3rd string sides for certain opposition. To me that shows more disrespect and could be limiting certain possibilities. This is not the Australian way I'm afraid.

I'm glad we are taking things one match at a time, starting with our recently successful line-up - with several options on the bench, of course and the potential to make adjustments after each performance. It's a refreshing change to be in this position but still so much lies ahead.

Just a word of caution if you like. I wouldn't assume everything you read or interpret from the SMH as some sort of gospel truth of an intention to demean or overlook any of our upcoming opposition. There will always be strange-sounding statements (to unfamiliar eyes and ears) and perhaps even 'misleading facts' from certain journalists but these comments should never be confused with what actually is planned by the management and squad. So far I believe they have been sensible in their approach to this WC and have probably kept a few journos 'under the radar' instead and let's hope Peter Fitzimmons censored has a calmer and more respectful approach this time too....and doesn't curse us prematurely again!

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Boyne Wed 07 Sep 2011, 1:57 pm

Whatever Linebreaker. We are going to hocky yiz.

boxing

Tumbleweed

I have a mate from Biron Bay coming over here next week. I bet the bu ggar timed his trip to gloat.

Boyne

Back to top Go down

Post by boomeranga Wed 07 Sep 2011, 2:00 pm

Fair enough then Munster. However you want to interpret our journos, be sure to take a look at the team that's been named this week. It's as strong as we can currently put out, and guaranteed to be the same approach next week.

boomeranga

Back to top Go down

Post by Bujin Wed 07 Sep 2011, 2:00 pm

Agree with Linebreaker. There is nothing in this article to suggest, like it is trying to be implied, that Australia are treating the matches against Ireland and Italy as guaranteed victories. Also there is nothing from the players or management to suggest this either. The fact is that Ireland are a top quality team and have traditionally given Australia trouble in matches. They will be taking Ireland very seriously and will be fully focused on putting in a top performance. Ireland are not under the radar at all.

But if you do want to look at the media for any sort of guidance to how they are thinking, you can look at an article from the same website, which finishes with the following quote:

As the crowd continued to swell for autographs, O'Neill finished with a warning for Wallabies fans buoyed by last week's Tri Nations win.

''Whilst we've won the Tri Nations, the door is shut on that. The celebration is over and we're moving on to a tournament where everyone has to have one thing on their minds - remember Marseille,'' he said, in reference to the 2007 World Cup.

''Because there we were, choked to death by England. We had arguably the better rugby team. We played some good rugby but we were smashed at the breakdown, smashed at the scrum … and game, set, match. So the moment someone gets complacent or a bit cocky, remember Marseille.''

Bujin

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Wed 07 Sep 2011, 2:02 pm

Boyne wrote:Whatever Linebreaker. We are going to hocky yiz.

boxing

Tumbleweed

I have a mate from Biron Bay coming over here next week. I bet the bu ggar timed his trip to gloat.

Byron is a beautiful place... he doesn't need to gloat, mate. Very Happy

I'm hoping for a cricket score more like!

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by OzT Wed 07 Sep 2011, 2:03 pm

Bujin wrote:
''Because there we were, choked to death by England. We had arguably the better rugby team. We played some good rugby but we were smashed at the breakdown, smashed at the scrum … and game, set, match. So the moment someone gets complacent or a bit cocky, remember Marseille.''

A+

True oh so true, be a good rallying call, Remember Marseille!!

OzT

Back to top Go down

Post by OzT Wed 07 Sep 2011, 2:04 pm

Too many druggies now though linebreaker, a beautiful place but too many hippies I think..

OzT

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Wed 07 Sep 2011, 2:09 pm

There'd be a big market for

REMEMBER MARSEILLES t-shirts, I'd say. chin

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Wed 07 Sep 2011, 2:11 pm

OzT wrote:Too many druggies now though linebreaker, a beautiful place but too many hippies I think..

Was going to mention that T... no shortage of narky folks up there - although some people are still nice.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Bujin Wed 07 Sep 2011, 2:11 pm

Byron is awesome. And the hippies are alright, they don't bother you and just want to 'chill out' and worship the sun etc. My (Irish) brother-in-law went travelling through there on his own and the locals looked after him very well.

Bujin

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed 07 Sep 2011, 2:51 pm

The Aussie team are always the best prepared and most professional in their approach. You can guarantee that each Aussie will be given a pamphlet on Ireland (as in 03 wc) and they will have done their homework extremely well. We are well on the teams radar. They will have done their homework on every potential opposition.

I wouldnt be too concerned with Aussie media. It is quite Anglo centric so if it doesn't concern Britain their knowledge becomes a little hazy. For example on Aussie news if they are talking about the banking crisis in Ireland they will jump to their correspondent in London to get their view. Ireland will hardly get a mention. Also Aussie fans aren't very well educated on NH rugby in general as rugby union isn't that popular in Australia in the first place.

However, there are lots of hard core Aussie union fans who know all about Ireland. There are even some great Aussie based pundits such as Djuro Sen who know a lot about NH rugby.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed 07 Sep 2011, 2:56 pm

...to add Ireland isn't on a lot of Aussies radars in the first place, for example it is the only place I can think of where you might find someone called Patrick Walsh ect. who has no idea that they actually have an Irish name/heritage.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Wed 07 Sep 2011, 3:12 pm

Too true leinster.

You either never get enough info, the right info... and if you ever do; you can bet somebody will flip it around to suit the lowest common denominator. Or even worse, a mythical expectation which some goose believes we all have.

Makes me churn and cringe quite often - but I keep a distance from getting dragged into those worthless 'debates'.

Enjoy the tournament... I 'd like to see Ireland do well. OK

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Wed 07 Sep 2011, 3:15 pm

You only have to look at Ireland´s World Cup performances against Australia to know that Deans will prepare his Wallabies side thoroughly for this match. A forward-oriented style of play grinding down the Wallabies is a dangerous prospect so expect some mind games to be employed in the weeks leading up to the match. This match is going to be huge!

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 07 Sep 2011, 3:33 pm

Munstermac, perhaps you are a little too sensitive about this issue? kiss

The likely hood that australia will dee Ireland as easy meat, or just a training session is ludicrous. they will take your team as seriously as they will take New Zealand.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Wed 07 Sep 2011, 3:36 pm

I agree with the lads take it easy Munstermac - I'm sure Italy fans could say that they aren't on our radar and realistically Italy beating us is as likely as us beating the Aussies.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed 07 Sep 2011, 3:40 pm

I think it will be too and until recently there wasn't much to suggest that it wouldn't be a close/highly entertaining game as they usually are Ire v Oz at the WC.

However, if anyone can predict with any certainty whether or not the Ireland rugby machine will begin to purr again then they know something I don't.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 07 Sep 2011, 3:43 pm

Italy are on my radar stag. Thats the big crunch game for me. The Australian game may determine if we get past the QF but it's the Italy game that will determine if we even get that far.

After 2007 I'm taking nothing for granted, even beating the USA and Russia. Beating Australia would be a massive bonus but for me it's not the be all and end all.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by OzT Wed 07 Sep 2011, 5:07 pm

Bujin wrote:Byron is awesome. And the hippies are alright, they don't bother you and just want to 'chill out' and worship the sun etc. My (Irish) brother-in-law went travelling through there on his own and the locals looked after him very well.

Not much wrong with drugs and the hippies, if that's your scene, and during most the year it is a beautifully chilled out place... just not quite so round New Year time.

I really do hope the wallabies treat every game as a final, only need one slip up or lack of preperation, look at Samoa, and our RWC could be a short one... least not far to fly home to!

OzT

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Wed 07 Sep 2011, 8:24 pm

Methinks it's more the mindset of SH journalists that are creating this sense of Ireland and other pool teams being of poor fair and an easy ride. Not without some compelling reasons given recent matches.

I wouldn't doubt for a moment that Deans won't think any such thing and will give the matches full preparation.

Greg Growden of the SMH is notorious for his cheerleading of the Wallabies and dismissing most NH opposition. In an article about 10 steps for the Wallabies to win the Cup he had this to say:

"CLUE NO.1 Take advantage of the draw
The Wallabies cannot complain about their pool. Unlike the All Blacks, who have France in their pool; the Springboks, with Samoa and Wales; and England, who must get around Argentina; the Wallabies have a clear run, as Ireland, their only real threat, appear off the pace. Beating Italy, the US and Russia won't pose too many problems, enabling them to finish top of their pool, and with it a reasonable ride to the final. But if they stumble at pool stage, look out. There could be a repeat of 2007, and an unacceptable early departure."

Arrogant, but probably fair comments - Ireland are off the pace. And Ireland are less of a threat than Argentina are to England in his view. Given Ireland's performances in RWC generally, and in RWC 2007, this is hardly surprising.

What might make him chew on the end of his pen a bit is if Australia struggle against Italy and only manage a small margin win against them. But it'll still be a win.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by MunsterMac Thu 08 Sep 2011, 4:40 pm

I agree with the lads take it easy Munstermac - I'm sure Italy fans could say that they aren't on our radar and realistically Italy beating us is as likely as us beating the Aussies.

No worries Stag. Didn't realise I was getting over excited. Headscratch

And I would imagine Italy are on our radar but on its outer edge given that we don't play them till early October whereas Australia play us next week.

That's kinda my point.

MunsterMac

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Thu 08 Sep 2011, 4:58 pm

According to the irb rankings, Georgia are closer in points to us than we are to Australia!
irb rankings
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Thu 08 Sep 2011, 5:03 pm

Hey we have lost 4 on the trot. Don't care what anyone says those games matter a lot. If we fail to get out of the group we will be a tier three nation going into the next WC which will be a rucking disaster.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Jello Biafra Fri 09 Sep 2011, 1:06 am

Phil Kearns doesn't give Ireland much hope. He was the odd one out on the Rugby Club panel. It was the general consensus Ireland will qualify 2nd but Kearnsy tipped Italy.

Mind you, he also tipped Wales for a semi-final berth.

Jello Biafra

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Fri 09 Sep 2011, 7:03 am

Kearns tipped well in the S15... but I saw his RWC tips too. Quite unique!

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 09 Sep 2011, 7:06 pm

i think the australia vs ireland game will be very intresting

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down