The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Burns vs Mitchell.

+6
No1Jonesy
88Chris05
Fists of Fury
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
captain carrantuohil
Scottrf
10 posters

Go down

Burns vs Mitchell. Empty Burns vs Mitchell.

Post by Scottrf Wed 07 Sep 2011, 12:24 pm

With Burns looking like he might move up, who would you pick?

'Fantasy fight' but I think a possibility. They have been sparring apparently.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Burns vs Mitchell. Empty Re: Burns vs Mitchell.

Post by captain carrantuohil Wed 07 Sep 2011, 12:29 pm

Mitchell, without much hesitation. Burns doesn't hit anywhere near hard enough, which is what you need to offset Mitchell's technical ability. Inside the distance, I would have thought.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Wed 07 Sep 2011, 12:29 pm

They sparred in the build up to both of their last fights. I mentioned on the other Burns thread I can see this happening for Marquez's WBO title because he will need to vacate it for not defending it for over a year and he's fighting Pac for a 147lbs belt.

I would put money on Frank having this lined up. Their will be a few brown envelopes on it's way to the WBO head office as we speak.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Wed 07 Sep 2011, 12:29 pm

Mitchell, hands down, for me.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Wed 07 Sep 2011, 12:35 pm

Mitchell should deal with Burns pretty easily Burns has no power to trouble him and Mitchell is a pretty good boxer.

Lets face it that's what Frank wants Burns sells no tickets, Mitchell will pull a crowd especially at Upton park or the O2.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Wed 07 Sep 2011, 12:36 pm

Mitchell, for my money. While some argue that Burns is underappreciated, I tend to go along the other line - I think he's treading water and will be found out against the top men - or even the ones close to that status - that 135 lb has to offer. Martinez aside, Burns has just always looked distinctly average, in my eyes.

He certainly can't go toe-to-toe with Mitchell and outslug him, and to be honest I don't think he can beat him on the outside, either. He might have half a chance if he uses his size to make it a truly ugly fight and bully Mitchell when he can, but I'd be amazed if anything other than a Mitchell win came to pass. Mitchell by late stoppage.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 07 Sep 2011, 12:36 pm

Thought Mitchell wanted Katsidis again? Can they really overlook him again?

Back to top Go down

Post by No1Jonesy Wed 07 Sep 2011, 12:46 pm

I'd see Mitchell winning this fight quite comfertably inside the distance

IMO if Mitchell took a fight with Burns he would be taking a step backwards albeit Burns was a WBO SF Champion. Mitchell needs to get back up to World Stage gatekeeper opponents before pushing for another title shot

No1Jonesy

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Wed 07 Sep 2011, 8:31 pm

Burns manager has advised him not to fight Broner. Sounds like they know he can't beat Broner.

http://news.boxrec.com/news/2011/ricky-burns-manager-advises-against-broner-bout
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Thu 08 Sep 2011, 11:40 am

I would bet a lot on Mitchell stopping Burns with relative ease.

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Tue 13 Sep 2011, 1:52 am

Burns would win this in a close match. Mitchell is good but Ricky is world class

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 13 Sep 2011, 9:16 am

Steffan wrote:Burns would win this in a close match. Mitchell is good but Ricky is world class

Is that just because the question is Celt v Brit??

Can't see how Ricky, as nice a lad as he is, can win this. He's not a pressure fighter and can't bang which is how the only fighter to really expose Mitchell did it. Mitchell's technically very strong which counters Ricky's similar competence but can hit a lot harder. Mitchell will keep him at range with his long jab leaving Ricky with the only option of trying to get in on the inside - everytime he does this Mitchell will utilise that lovely uppercut he was so proficient in versus Murray.

Mitchell LKO.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 13 Sep 2011, 9:45 am

TopHat24/7 wrote:
Steffan wrote:Burns would win this in a close match. Mitchell is good but Ricky is world class

Is that just because the question is Celt v Brit??

Can't see how Ricky, as nice a lad as he is, can win this. He's not a pressure fighter and can't bang which is how the only fighter to really expose Mitchell did it. Mitchell's technically very strong which counters Ricky's similar competence but can hit a lot harder. Mitchell will keep him at range with his long jab leaving Ricky with the only option of trying to get in on the inside - everytime he does this Mitchell will utilise that lovely uppercut he was so proficient in versus Murray.

Mitchell LKO.

That is pretty much how I see the fight, a Mitchell KO in the later rounds.

The one caveat I would add is that Burns is, or soon to be was, a titleholder and the confidence that this will give him shouldn't be underestimated. He also appears to know his limitations, and this, coupled with the confidence gained from winning his "world" title makes him a dangerous propostion for Mitchell, especially if any of Kevin's out of the ring problems re-surface.

I greatly respect the way Ricky has made the most of his skills and come back from some losses, but I doubt he will have enough to beat Mitchell.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down