The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Are the NZ press just as bad as the english?

+13
blackcanelion
GunsGerms
Dr Kenneth Noisewater
TheGreyGhost
kiakahaaotearoa
Biltong
aucklandlaurie
nganboy
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
Ozzy3213
Taylorman
Pot Hale
nathan
17 posters

Go down

Are the NZ press just as bad as the english? Empty Are the NZ press just as bad as the english?

Post by nathan Wed 07 Sep 2011, 9:46 pm

i did have a little chuckle to myself reading this;

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/rugby-world-cup-2011/news/article.cfm?c_id=522&objectid=10467331

Are the NZ press just as bad as ours or worse?

nathan

Back to top Go down

Are the NZ press just as bad as the english? Empty Re: Are the NZ press just as bad as the english?

Post by Pot Hale Wed 07 Sep 2011, 10:04 pm

Oh that's a cracker. Fair play to Rattue for leaving that up.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Are the NZ press just as bad as the english? Empty Re: Are the NZ press just as bad as the english?

Post by Taylorman Wed 07 Sep 2011, 10:09 pm

Rattue trying to be the 'read me instead of the others' type of journalist by doing a Stephen Jones and failing again. Seen better articles on 606v2 on the subject...

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Wed 07 Sep 2011, 10:12 pm

Taylorman wrote:Rattue trying to be the 'read me instead of the others' type of journalist by doing a Stephen Jones and failing again. Seen better articles on 606v2 on the subject...

Good for you, wasn't after a rating of my article....

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Wed 07 Sep 2011, 10:20 pm

nathan wrote:
Taylorman wrote:Rattue trying to be the 'read me instead of the others' type of journalist by doing a Stephen Jones and failing again. Seen better articles on 606v2 on the subject...

I think Taylorman meant better articles than Rattue's as opposed to yours. I don't think he is on here to critique you.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Wed 07 Sep 2011, 10:24 pm

LDCPete wrote:
nathan wrote:

I think Taylorman meant better articles than Rattue's as opposed to yours. I don't think he is on here to critique you.

if that's the case i apologise!

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Wed 07 Sep 2011, 10:28 pm

He was spot on about France not winning the cup though

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by nganboy Thu 08 Sep 2011, 12:05 am

On the basis that journalists are out there to make money, I can't see any reason why ours would be any different from yours. I'm sure if we rated them on a scale the curve would look pretty much the same
nganboy
nganboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Thu 08 Sep 2011, 12:54 am

Still, it hasn't stopped him producing this year's one. It's even better. I suppose these articles are a little bit like the stopped clock that's right at least once a day.

This has to be New Zealand's year. Why are the other teams bothering to play, Chris?
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Thu 08 Sep 2011, 2:32 am

Good stuff Ratts..... love your work.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Thu 08 Sep 2011, 4:01 am

I know you're more familiar with him Laurie and all we can go by is the articles but the timing of all these things out of the woodwork- this, Kronfeld telling the Brits about Pocock- McCaw and there'll be more- it just screams of attention seeking when there's really nothing in the story.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Thu 08 Sep 2011, 5:53 am

taylorman
The only thing he didnt foresee was Wayne Barnes putting in a second half performance of only refereeing one side.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 08 Sep 2011, 6:48 am

Well that is one way of making yourself look really, really stupid.

He must have hidden from public for a long time after that quareter final match.

does anyone have an idea what Rattue's follow up article was.

I can just imagine:

" Well, how's that for some egg on my face, in fact call the shopping centre to bring more egg."
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Thu 08 Sep 2011, 8:25 am

There´s an English journo, Mark Reason - surely not his real name - on the stuff website who is clearly there to do the same work as Stephen Jones while he´s asleep on the other side of the world.

Every country has their own idiot scribe trying to provoke opinion and, therefore, readership just as every nation on this website has its fair share of keyboard warriors.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreyGhost Thu 08 Sep 2011, 8:35 am

He was actually spot on though. France were not threat to NZ.

NZ were 40 points better on the day, but deprived of victory by Wayne Barnes.

Perhaps Rattue should learn from history and do some investigation into the foibles of the British refs being inflicted on us this time.

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Kenneth Noisewater Thu 08 Sep 2011, 8:55 am

TheGreyGhost wrote:He was actually spot on though. France were not threat to NZ.

NZ were 40 points better on the day, but deprived of victory by Wayne Barnes.

Perhaps Rattue should learn from history and do some investigation into the foibles of the British refs being inflicted on us this time.

And Irish refs also GG? I thought that you despised them too?

Out of interest - which referees do you rate?

Dr Kenneth Noisewater

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Thu 08 Sep 2011, 8:59 am

He rates loose cannon, possible alcoholic, kiwi in disguise Steve Walsh.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreyGhost Thu 08 Sep 2011, 9:20 am

Steady on Leinster.

Steve Walsh was Referee of the Year last year.

And slurring a man's character like that will likely land you in hot water.

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Post by blackcanelion Thu 08 Sep 2011, 11:06 am

Back to the topic. I've just listened to Staurt Barnes talk about Soane Tonga'uiha. The way he tells it he was an unknown player who turned up in England from Tonga and then was discovered. Probably half the TV audience was crnging.

He's a local Auckland boy. Moved to Auckland as a young kid, grew up playing league, converted to union. Played for NZ at under 19 and under 21 (world champions) and a couple of seasons for Auckland. Left for the UK when he couldn't get a super 14 contract.

If he'd done his homework he'd have realised that
1) he had a pretty good rugby pedigree and had a good chance of doing well.
2) has strong connections with Auckland/NZ and is well known here.
3) moved during the english season, but was always going to be known by any decent scout given his history.

I wish reporters would do some background reading. I had to listen to a diatribe by a well known kiwi journalist about the perils of rest and rotation. If he'd bothered to look he'd realise that all sides rest and rotate as much as we do.

blackcanelion

Back to top Go down

Post by nottins Thu 08 Sep 2011, 11:17 am

aucklandlaurie wrote: taylorman
The only thing he didnt foresee was Wayne Barnes putting in a second half performance of only refereeing one side.

Broken Record

nottins

Back to top Go down

Post by nottins Thu 08 Sep 2011, 11:18 am

Of course the NZ press are worse than the English press.

nottins

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Thu 08 Sep 2011, 11:25 am

nottins wrote:Of course the NZ press are worse than the English press.

cough phone-hacking cough Wink

Sorry couldn't resist. Rugby in England is just lucky the national obsession with football draws away some of the media lunatic fringe.

I was a little concerned about Barnes the other day when he talked about Jonathan Poff's debut in the Jeff, and referred to him as the Crusaders' "3rd-choice openside behind McCaw and Todd". Not doing enough research to know which side of the scrum someone played on is a good way to get egg-on-face (Poff played on the blind side for the Crusaders, though was limited by their 2-opensides tactics using 2 out of McCaw, Todd and George Whitelock (who is the "3rd-choice openside behind McCaw and Todd").

Last edited by Kiwireddevil on Thu 08 Sep 2011, 11:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 08 Sep 2011, 11:26 am

Nottins, I had thought it was a myth, but I'm really starting to believe it's impossible for an English journalist to write the name 'Jonny Wilkinson' without following it with 'whose drop goal won England the World Cup in 2003.' Surely there's no one left who doesn't know that already?

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Thu 08 Sep 2011, 11:30 am

Kiwireddevil wrote:

Sorry couldn't resist. Rugby in England is just lucky the national obsession with football draws away some of the media lunatic fringe.

I was a little concerned about Barnes the other day when he talked about Jonathan Poff's debut in the Jeff, and referred to him as the Crusaders' "3rd-choice openside behind McCaw and Todd". Not doing enough research to know which side of the scrum someone played on is a good way to get egg-on-face (Poff played on the blind side for the Crusaders, though was limited by their 2-opensides tactics using 2 out of McCaw, Todd and George Whitelock (who is the "3rd-choice openside behind McCaw and Todd").

From an organisation run by a couple of aussies :p

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Thu 08 Sep 2011, 11:31 am

blackcanelion wrote:Back to the topic. I've just listened to Staurt Barnes talk about Soane Tonga'uiha. The way he tells it he was an unknown player who turned up in England from Tonga and then was discovered. Probably half the TV audience was crnging.

He's a local Auckland boy. Moved to Auckland as a young kid, grew up playing league, converted to union. Played for NZ at under 19 and under 21 (world champions) and a couple of seasons for Auckland. Left for the UK when he couldn't get a super 14 contract.

If he'd done his homework he'd have realised that
1) he had a pretty good rugby pedigree and had a good chance of doing well.
2) has strong connections with Auckland/NZ and is well known here.
3) moved during the english season, but was always going to be known by any decent scout given his history.

I wish reporters would do some background reading. I had to listen to a diatribe by a well known kiwi journalist about the perils of rest and rotation. If he'd bothered to look he'd realise that all sides rest and rotate as much as we do.

since when has being unable to get a s14 contract been a pretty good rugby pedigree?
Since when has playing league as a child been good for devloping scrummaging ( although it has enabled him to redefine Union wing play)
Since when has being vaguely well known in one region of a small nation in an obscure part of the world made someone well known to the point that casual sports fans on the opposite side of the earth (just to clarify Im not talking about Henson) would be expected to have known he would suddenly become the best attacking forward in the NH leagues within a couple of years?

Yes his research would show that the chap was a promising youngster who had failed to make the grade in New Zealand but come North with no real reputation and rapidly developed into a very strong player. His scrummaging in particular has come on leaps and bounds since his first season with Saints. I dont see anything that anyone has said that suggests noone expected that Tonga and guys like him could make the grade and go on to be fine players, but sometimes the speed and impact they have as an attacking force (like Waldrom and Brits) papers over cracks elsewhere in their game and makes the headlines, suddenly turning low key imports into overnight Sky Sports darlings.
I have no idea how good he was for Aukland, because Id never heard of him previously. Believe it or not people in the NH as a general rule dont follow NZ club rugby, so these players tend to be pretty unknown to us when they come up here. Its not unreasonable for journalists to portray thenm as unkonwns when talking to a NH audience, because thats what they are unless its guys like Dan Carter or Sir Billy Willy.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Thu 08 Sep 2011, 11:32 am

TheGreyGhost wrote:Steady on Leinster.

Steve Walsh was Referee of the Year last year.

And slurring a man's character like that will likely land you in hot water.

Is this a case of calling Stuart Barnes' kettle a pot?

Walsh got into trouble for slurring his words.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreyGhost Thu 08 Sep 2011, 11:37 am

nottins wrote:

This post was made by nottins who is currently on your ignore list. Display this post.

This post was made by nottins who is currently on your ignore list. Display this post.

Broken Record

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Thu 08 Sep 2011, 11:40 am

nathan wrote:
Kiwireddevil wrote:

From an organisation run by a couple of aussies :p

True. Though I see the latest lot getting in trouble are from the Evening Standard and the Guardian*. And don't blame Kiwis for the Aussie's sins, we quite like that 1300 mile ocean buffer zone Smile

*How ironic would it be if proved true, a paper using illegally acquired information to report on a scandal about reporters illegally acquiring information?
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreyGhost Thu 08 Sep 2011, 11:45 am

luckless_pedestrian wrote:Nottins, I had thought it was a myth, but I'm really starting to believe it's impossible for an English journalist to write the name 'Jonny Wilkinson' without following it with 'whose drop goal won England the World Cup in 2003.' Surely there's no one left who doesn't know that already?

Yep. I woke up this morning with Sky News going. It got to sports news, they mentioned the world cup starting, and then spent a minute orchestrating an opportunity to mention JW's drop goal in 2003. It went something like this:

"The rugby world cup kicks off in NZ tomorrow, England's opening game will be....[blah de blah de blah]. Messages left on world cup winner and coach Martin Johnson's phone suggest he has made a number of changes to the largely second starting line up who narrowly lost an inconsequential warm up match that was terribly important to the Welsh who were knocked out at the pool stage in the last world cup, world cup winner Jonny Wilkinson has been restored to the fly half spot after suffering a series of injuries following his drop goal that won the 2003 rugby world cup. Now that the tournaments record point scorer is back ...[click]"

If you only listened to British news channels, you would get an utter distorted view of the world. No wonder so many folks spout such complete and utter nonsense on this kind of forum.

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Thu 08 Sep 2011, 11:51 am

Sadly GG it appears the NZ Herald also has a JW obsession Wink
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreyGhost Thu 08 Sep 2011, 11:54 am

Yeah, but that was created by a girl KRD, what do you expect?

Their interest in rugby FME extends to commenting on the haircuts and fit of the shirts and comparing the size of player's scoring records.

Last edited by TheGreyGhost on Thu 08 Sep 2011, 11:56 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : spelling ;))

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Thu 08 Sep 2011, 11:55 am

To be fair though GG if there were a few more New Zealand world cup winners involved it might get mnentione dby your press once in a while.

Lets have a look what teh NEw Zealnad Herald has to say about "our Jonny"

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=10739956

Key player: Jonny Wilkinson steered England to one World Cup. Has he got a glorious final flourish in him?

....it's worth remembering that the nation mostly wearing white - when they're not in their ridiculous new black alternative - have a record to at least match this year's hosts.

So there you go , the New Zealand press cant talk about England without mentioning Wilkinson winng the world cup, obsessing about their kit, and pointing out that their world cup record is the match of New Zelands as if these are the only games that matter.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreyGhost Thu 08 Sep 2011, 11:55 am

See post above.

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Post by nottins Thu 08 Sep 2011, 11:57 am

TheGreyGhost wrote:
If you only listened to British news channels, you would get an utter distorted view of the world. No wonder so many folks spout such complete and utter nonsense on this kind of forum.

Ah, that's where you get it from.

nottins

Back to top Go down

Post by blackcanelion Thu 08 Sep 2011, 12:28 pm

Peter,
He's talking on NZ TV in the guys hometown. He was describing a player to a NZ audience, not a UK one. The information isn't hidden. He's a reporter, it takes less than a minute to read his bio.

NZ may be a obscure part of the world, but I suspect it's well known in rugby circles. The guy wasn't long out of high school and had already played provincial rugby in NZ. He'd also been a member of a world championship age group side, when he went to the UK. That's a good pedigree and reputation. NZ only has 5 super rugby sides, that means a lot of good players end up plying there trade overseas. The point is not that anyone would have predicted that he would have done as well as he has, but rather that he was a prime prospect to do well. More so than players on a retirement package. I have no doubt that the coaches and scouts were well aware of his background.

The point is that a leading reporter should have a basic knowledge when talking about a player in his hometown.

blackcanelion

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Thu 08 Sep 2011, 12:34 pm

blackcanelion wrote:Peter,
He's talking on NZ TV in the guys hometown. He was describing a player to a NZ audience, not a UK one. The information isn't hidden. He's a reporter, it takes less than a minute to read his bio.

The point is that a leading reporter should have a basic knowledge when talking about a player in his hometown.

Sorry I didnt realsie he was talking on NZ TV, in that case yes the NZ press is as bad as the English.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Great White Thu 08 Sep 2011, 12:52 pm

TheGreyGhost wrote: NZ were 40 points better on the day, but deprived of victory by Wayne Barnes.

laughing

Great White

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down