The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Week one discussion thread

+22
mckay1402
Gaelic-Warrior
thunder and lightning
cherriesfna
Karld
arizona_tom
Dave.
GB1919
Luke
crazy_dave23
Brady12
Thomond
GSC
Leedscowboys
skins4ever
twelve283
The Mangler US_UK
Grizzly
Pr4wn
BamBam
RDuncan8
Derbyblue
26 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Week one discussion thread Empty Week one discussion thread

Post by Guest Fri 09 Sep 2011, 1:53 am

Greenbay looking very impressive early on, let's see what the saints can do in reply.

Oh and thank you mr 11/1 Greg Jennings for first TD Smile

Back to top Go down

Week one discussion thread Empty Re: Week one discussion thread

Post by Guest Fri 09 Sep 2011, 1:53 am

Nothing is the answer

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue Fri 09 Sep 2011, 2:16 am

Why not log in to the chat box?

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by RDuncan8 Fri 09 Sep 2011, 3:22 am

Where is the chat box?

RDuncan8

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Fri 09 Sep 2011, 12:28 pm

Looks like no one spotted this last night, when the chat box is up it is right at the bottom of the main page. Check in the chat box thread on the top section for when it will be up

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 09 Sep 2011, 12:38 pm

think it may be because i was on my phone and it doesn't show the full site

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Fri 09 Sep 2011, 1:26 pm

What did you think of the game? The Packers were very impressive but Brees and that passing attack are going to be lethal again

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Fri 09 Sep 2011, 1:30 pm

Brees was the best player on the field imho. He was without Lance Moore and he had constant pressure in his face.

The Saints defense really didn't play very well at all. The new DT pair of Franklin and Rodgers generated little to no pressure at all and you could see that they really missed Will Smith. Cam Jordan looked helpless at DE.

The biggest deficiency in the Saints defence was the tackling. They just didn't seem to be able to wrap up and make good contact. The linebackers were totally out-matched.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 09 Sep 2011, 1:33 pm

i enjoyed it. Was a brilliant game to open the season with. My one criticism of the Saints is that last play was an awful lot of pressure on a rookie, I know it was only from a yard out but it was predictable and the Packers had plugged every hole before Ingram was even given the ball. Given as well that he'd fail to convert a 3rd an 1 in the 3rd quarter with exactly the same play I felt they may have gone with faking the hand off and then Brees looking to pass or even running himself because there was acres of space to either side of the line of scrimmage

But the Saints will definately be one of the teams to watch come the end of the year.

As for the Packers I can't really criticize anything they done. Rodgers just picked up where he left off...incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Fri 09 Sep 2011, 1:35 pm

Yer I would probably agree with you mate, Rodgers will get the plaudits but 419 yards and 3 TD passes is pretty damn impressive. People have been saying that the Saints linebacking corps is in need of help for a couple of years but they haven't done anything about it yet.

Jordan wasn't projected as a 4-3 DE was he? I remember thinking at the time he might not be the ideal fit

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by Grizzly Fri 09 Sep 2011, 2:26 pm

bambamwillis wrote:Yer I would probably agree with you mate, Rodgers will get the plaudits but 419 yards and 3 TD passes is pretty damn impressive.

You mean Brees right ?
Rodgers is just ridiculous, gazzy D said he just picked up where he left off, his passer rating last night was around 132, one day he'll have an average game and only have a rating of 90 and we'll be asking what went wrong.
The guy is seriously good

Grizzly

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Fri 09 Sep 2011, 3:22 pm

Grizzly wrote:
bambamwillis wrote:Yer I would probably agree with you mate, Rodgers will get the plaudits but 419 yards and 3 TD passes is pretty damn impressive.

You mean Brees right ?
Rodgers is just ridiculous, gazzy D said he just picked up where he left off, his passer rating last night was around 132, one day he'll have an average game and only have a rating of 90 and we'll be asking what went wrong.
The guy is seriously good

Doh that was in reply to Pr4wn so was agreeing that Brees was probably the best player on the field! Should have made it clearer

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by Grizzly Fri 09 Sep 2011, 3:34 pm

Yeah I see how it reads now, my mistake

Grizzly

Back to top Go down

Post by The Mangler US_UK Fri 09 Sep 2011, 6:17 pm

Exciting game coming down to one play at the goal line. Rodgers is awesome, but how great was Brees almost bringing the Saints back? Both teams should offensive juggernauts this season.

The Mangler US_UK

Back to top Go down

Post by twelve283 Fri 09 Sep 2011, 6:22 pm

Greg Jennings touchdown:

Saints cornerback Patrick Robinson is in man coverage with inside leverage which allows him to play the slant route. When Greg Jennings releases of the LOS like that Robinson should do a better job of getting hands on the WR but he allows him free release. Robinson should read the receivers eyes and when Jennings turns and shows both shoulders he should be ready to react to the throw. Good throw from Aaron Rodgers to the outside knowing that the corner in trouble playing inside leverage it means only Jennings can make a play on the ball. That’s tough to defend against and it looks like Robinson is expecting a fade throw. Robinson’s struggles in man coverage, along with most of the other Saints defensive backs it has to be said, is why they switched to playing the cover 2 that the commentators were talking about.

Green Bay Packers nickel and “psycho” packages:

The Packers 2 DL nickel package involves two down linemen playing often playing 3 technique (outside shoulder of the OG) with the two rush outside linebackers staying on the field in a two point stance outside of the OT. The Packers are able to run various zone blitzes, rushing 3, 4 and 5 out of this package as well as multiple types of coverage.

The psycho package involves 1DL with 5 linebackers, two of which line up on the LOS, however I’ve often seen them use a 2DL variation with one of the DL in a 2 point stance and a rush LB as the 3rd man on the LOS. Often when Green Bay utilises the 1DL, 155 package they will play the single DL in a two point stance so there are essentially no down linemen. The linebackers are often walking around and basically the defense is trying to cause as much confusion for the offense and the OL as possible with overloads to one side, all sorts of blitz combos etc.

I’ll try and find some video and/or pictures for this stuff later which will help demonstrate it but for some reason the NFL.com video isn’t working for me ATM.

twelve283

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue Sat 10 Sep 2011, 1:23 pm

Some injury news from the Saints vs Packers game:
"Packers cornerback Tramon Williams left Thursday night’s game against the Saints after hurting his shoulder, but the injury does not appear to be serious.

Coach Mike McCarthy seemed optimistic as he said today that Williams has a shoulder bruise and will be re-evaluated next week.

McCarthy also said safety Nick Collins suffered a bruised wrist and will be ready to go next week." http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/09/09/tramon-williams-has-bruised-shoulder/

"Saints wide receiver Marques Colston suffered a broken collarbone in Thursday night’s loss to the Packers.

Jay Glazer of FOX Sports reports that Colston will miss approximately four weeks with the injury." http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/09/09/saints-lose-marques-colston-to-broken-collarbone/

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue Sat 10 Sep 2011, 1:31 pm

In other news, players will not be getting fined by the NFL for wearing red, white and blue on Sunday, as long as the special gloves and boots are made by companies that have sponsorship deals with the NFL.

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by skins4ever Sat 10 Sep 2011, 3:03 pm

But Woodson will likely get fined (if not suspended) for thinking he was in a boxing ring. I like the guy, and he is a great talent, but he should have been ejected for that and so the league should suspend him for a game.

Look for the Saints to bring someone in at WR. After Henderson and Meacham they don't have any real depth and with a collarbone injury I don't expect Colston to figure again until week 6/7.

skins4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by Leedscowboys Sat 10 Sep 2011, 4:13 pm

Pr4wn wrote:Brees was the best player on the field imho. He was without Lance Moore and he had constant pressure in his face.

The Saints defense really didn't play very well at all. The new DT pair of Franklin and Rodgers generated little to no pressure at all and you could see that they really missed Will Smith. Cam Jordan looked helpless at DE.

The biggest deficiency in the Saints defence was the tackling. They just didn't seem to be able to wrap up and make good contact. The linebackers were totally out-matched.

Did we watch the same game? I thought Rodgers was the best player and the better QB, you only need to look at the way he marched down the field on their first drives and came away with TD.
Leedscowboys
Leedscowboys

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sat 10 Sep 2011, 10:15 pm

Rodgers got his team out to an early lead and just coasted.

He outplayed Brees.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sat 10 Sep 2011, 10:17 pm

On another note, odd that Payton chose to run the ball on the last play.

If I'm a head coach and I have a top 4 QB, and SB MVP in Drew Brees in my backfield, I'm letting him throw it when the game's on the line. Not my rookie RB making his debut.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Sat 10 Sep 2011, 10:24 pm

Leedscowboys wrote:
Pr4wn wrote:Brees was the best player on the field imho. He was without Lance Moore and he had constant pressure in his face.

Did we watch the same game? I thought Rodgers was the best player and the better QB, you only need to look at the way he marched down the field on their first drives and came away with TD.

I get what you're saying, but...

On Brees' first posession, he completes to Colston who then fumbles and loses the ball. On his next posession he marched his team down the field for a TD. There was nothign between them, really. And it was a real treat to see two of the game's best QBs going at it. No interceptions, no real errors, just pure brilliance.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by twelve283 Sun 11 Sep 2011, 12:35 am

I’m with Pr4wn on this one, didn’t think there was much between the two quarterbacks TBH.

The Saints were having trouble early on in both coverage and getting to the QB. Patrick Robinson was getting picked on in man coverage with no help over the top and Roman Harper had a rough time as well. They went to more cover 2 to give the corners some help and that had limited success and they ended up with the corners playing so far off that they were just giving up yards underneath. The Saints weren’t getting pressure early on either so they tried to blitz and still didn’t get any pressure. Not trying to take anything away from Rodgers, he played well, but IMO he had it a little easier.

Conversely the Packers appeared able to get pressure on Brees quite often. They were in that 245 nickel package on a lot of snaps and were pretty disruptive for the most part. It’s worth noting that when they went to their dime package at the end of the game and sent only 3 rushers Brees had no trouble moving the ball. The only thing about Brees was that I though there were a couple of occasions where he should have thrown the ball away but he didn’t.

As for the final play of the game, when you’re running the ball from a yard out it’s not so much on the RB as it is on the OL. You are putting your faith in the OL to win the battle up front and they didn’t.

twelve283

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Sun 11 Sep 2011, 6:05 pm

GO Bucs!

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Brady12 Sun 11 Sep 2011, 6:26 pm

Go Vick

Brady12

Back to top Go down

Post by crazy_dave23 Sun 11 Sep 2011, 6:29 pm

What a shock... Kerry Collins has fumbled...

crazy_dave23

Back to top Go down

Post by Brady12 Sun 11 Sep 2011, 6:32 pm

Fantastic!! That what happens when you put all your eggs in one basket, franchise falls apart when he gets injured.

Brady12

Back to top Go down

Post by Brady12 Sun 11 Sep 2011, 6:36 pm

Has Palmer left the Bengals? Who's this Dalton guy?

Brady12

Back to top Go down

Post by Brady12 Sun 11 Sep 2011, 6:38 pm

crazy_dave23 wrote:What a shock... Kerry Collins has fumbled...

Not once but twice!!

Brady12

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Sun 11 Sep 2011, 6:50 pm

Just a quick heads up, 5 live sports extra are doing commentry on the giants redskins game tonight (currently doing the tigers twins baseball game). I think the nfl game starts about 9ish.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by crazy_dave23 Sun 11 Sep 2011, 6:54 pm

Brady12 wrote:Has Palmer left the Bengals? Who's this Dalton guy?

Serious... do you not follow the offseason?
Anyway Palmer retired at the end of last year because the Bengals refused to trade him. Dalton is a second round pick out of TCU thrown in at the deep end.

crazy_dave23

Back to top Go down

Post by crazy_dave23 Sun 11 Sep 2011, 6:58 pm

Brady12 wrote:
crazy_dave23 wrote:What a shock... Kerry Collins has fumbled...

Not once but twice!!

On the plus side he is currently 5/5 on throws he actually gets away!

crazy_dave23

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Sun 11 Sep 2011, 7:01 pm

Freeman picked off. 10-6 Bucs. Talib returned for a touchdown on a Stafford pick early on.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Brady12 Sun 11 Sep 2011, 7:16 pm

crazy_dave23 wrote:
Brady12 wrote:Has Palmer left the Bengals? Who's this Dalton guy?

Serious... do you not follow the offseason?
Anyway Palmer retired at the end of last year because the Bengals refused to trade him. Dalton is a second round pick out of TCU thrown in at the deep end.

Cheers...What a joke that is? Can't he just sign with someone else now? He's only early 30's isn't he?

More a casual fan than an officianardo. I tend just to follow the results can catch The Patriots games when there on sky

Brady12

Back to top Go down

Post by crazy_dave23 Sun 11 Sep 2011, 7:22 pm

No, NFL contracts to specific teams continue when you choose to "retire". I think he has 4 years left with Cincinnati so it would be a fair while before he was a free agent.
Else players unhappy at their teams would just retire to break their contract and come back through free agency.

crazy_dave23

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Sun 11 Sep 2011, 7:25 pm

The Bucs are 13-10 down now. They have been awful on offense and poor enough on defence.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Sun 11 Sep 2011, 7:30 pm

20-10 can't see the bucs coming back. The Lions have had double the amount of offesnsive plays. Sweet jebus that is pathetic. Looking for another 4th Quarter comeback!

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by crazy_dave23 Sun 11 Sep 2011, 7:32 pm

I've seen Freemans stats... don't look great.
On the plus side Nate Burleson is pulling along my fantasy team slowly but surely

crazy_dave23

Back to top Go down

Post by GB1919 Sun 11 Sep 2011, 7:37 pm

The Ravens-Steelers game has been a cracker so far. 21-7 at half time and the Ravens OL has looked superb considering they didn't play a snap together during the preseason. The Steelers have barely been able to lay a finger on Ray Rice, let alone actually stop him.

GB1919

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Sun 11 Sep 2011, 7:40 pm

He had a bad pre season,at 75% or so for the game today. Good drive to end the half. 20-13

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by crazy_dave23 Sun 11 Sep 2011, 7:42 pm

GB1919 wrote:The Ravens-Steelers game has been a cracker so far. 21-7 at half time and the Ravens OL has looked superb considering they didn't play a snap together during the preseason. The Steelers have barely been able to lay a finger on Ray Rice, let alone actually stop him.

Yeah, I'm enjoying it so far. Ray Rice has been looking top notch.

crazy_dave23

Back to top Go down

Post by Brady12 Sun 11 Sep 2011, 7:44 pm

crazy_dave23 wrote:No, NFL contracts to specific teams continue when you choose to "retire". I think he has 4 years left with Cincinnati so it would be a fair while before he was a free agent.
Else players unhappy at their teams would just retire to break their contract and come back through free agency.

Farce! So he'll still get a salary?

Get in! Steelers 0-1 now for sure

Brady12

Back to top Go down

Post by GB1919 Sun 11 Sep 2011, 7:47 pm

Amazing start to the second half too, faked extra point converted for two. If you're not watching, you should be.

GB1919

Back to top Go down

Post by crazy_dave23 Sun 11 Sep 2011, 7:50 pm

Brady12 wrote: Farce! So he'll still get a salary?

Nope... you only get a salary if you report to your job!

crazy_dave23

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave. Sun 11 Sep 2011, 7:51 pm

Any good punts gents?

Dave.

Back to top Go down

Post by crazy_dave23 Sun 11 Sep 2011, 7:51 pm

GB1919 wrote:Amazing start to the second half too, faked extra point converted for two. If you're not watching, you should be.

Missed this... went to put the kettle on when the got the TD (great catch) and assumed the XP would be an XP!

Just seen it on replay... absolutely immense fake... rarely do you just see the holder stand up catch the snap and run in untouched!

crazy_dave23

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Sun 11 Sep 2011, 8:22 pm

Freeman injured,the Bucs down by 14 and have just punted. mad

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by arizona_tom Sun 11 Sep 2011, 8:51 pm

Has any1 got a good redzone link? the one im using on firstrow keeps buffering

arizona_tom

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Sun 11 Sep 2011, 9:08 pm

The Bucs have been really frustrating today. Mike Williams gets a TD. 27-20 a minute 30 or so to go. Onside kick to come,the Bucs have lost I would think.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by crazy_dave23 Sun 11 Sep 2011, 9:15 pm

arizona_tom wrote:Has any1 got a good redzone link? the one im using on firstrow keeps buffering

I've pretty much lost all links... I like to have redzone muted on the side, but haven't had it barring the first 10 mins

crazy_dave23

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next