The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Im fed up...

+11
Thespacedragon
Comfort
Geordie
Impossible Standards
Kingshu
wales606
Standulstermen
doctornickolas
GavinDragon
Shifty
dragonator
15 posters

Go down

Im fed up... Empty Im fed up...

Post by dragonator Fri 09 Sep 2011, 9:16 pm

Year after year we (dragons) get promised the lot from better performances to better results. Take for example this year, the fans were promised two 'marque signings' and who did we get? Joe Bedford and Jamie Smith. I apologise to anyone if this topic is a bit too negative or not really interesting but I've seen no progression. We may as well not bother going to the away fixtures and save travel expense. I'm hoping this season won't turn into a disaster. Onto a different discussion, the referee was poor.

dragonator

Back to top Go down

Im fed up... Empty Re: Im fed up...

Post by Shifty Fri 09 Sep 2011, 9:19 pm

ah cmon things are not that bad...
you were never going to beat Leinster away, and you'll hammer aironi at home next week. Dragons are just a home side thats all.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by dragonator Fri 09 Sep 2011, 10:00 pm

For an afterthought I do understand I was a bit over reactive. And Alyn you are right, the Dragons at home are much more confident and formidable. I knew it would be challenging to come away from the RDS with any result but the basics errors were frustrating. I'm still hoping for a play-off place (4th) and this year should be the most likeliest as we are not in the Heineken Cup. Staying positive......

dragonator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 09 Sep 2011, 10:05 pm

Still time for marquee signings. We also have to be realistic. No region can afford to make big signings now really. If we finally signed Andy Tuilagi that would be a start.

We miss Aled Brew so much. Mike Poole isn't playing bad, but it's a big loss for us. He really is the heartbeat of our team.

Back to top Go down

Post by dragonator Fri 09 Sep 2011, 10:11 pm

Risca, its a valid point about staying within our means financially and I'm in total agreement. What is the news on Tualagi? it seems to have gone a bit quiet on that one. We definitely need to bring in a centre whether it be him or someone else

dragonator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 09 Sep 2011, 10:14 pm

I have heard it's done, as allegedly is the signing of the pacy Saffer wing Chavanga. I'm very sceptical of those deals though, as they've not been announced. This Tuilagi signing has dragged on way too long.

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Sat 10 Sep 2011, 8:16 am

what dissapoints me is that we seem to have dropped this heads up aproach we had last year, sayng that mind i havent seen all of both matches so if some one wants to correct me?

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Sat 10 Sep 2011, 8:38 am

oh and hughes has to start at 13

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by doctornickolas Sat 10 Sep 2011, 9:19 am

Lets be fair the Dragons have a decent first 15 but struggle for depth.

The Dragons have the core of their team away in NZ and just don't have the quality that maybe some other teams do to cover those.

When you are missing your first choice hooker, 2nd row, 2 back rows then that is going to make a major difference.

Also as you say Brew is a major point of Dragons attack.

You do need a decent centre and, even though he comes with baggage, I would make a move for Henson as there will be few quality players available at the moment. Unless of course they are waiting for the end of the WC and hoping to pick up someone.

doctornickolas

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 10 Sep 2011, 10:05 am

doctornickolas wrote:Lets be fair the Dragons have a decent first 15 but struggle for depth.

The Dragons have the core of their team away in NZ and just don't have the quality that maybe some other teams do to cover those.

When you are missing your first choice hooker, 2nd row, 2 back rows then that is going to make a major difference.

Also as you say Brew is a major point of Dragons attack.

You do need a decent centre and, even though he comes with baggage, I would make a move for Henson as there will be few quality players available at the moment. Unless of course they are waiting for the end of the WC and hoping to pick up someone.

No arguments here. Still at least some fringe players like Coombs are standing up.

It's a split amongst the Dragons support over Henson. I'd probably take him though.

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Sat 10 Sep 2011, 12:34 pm

I do find it strange that Jamie Smith was given a three year contract and is a bench player

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sat 10 Sep 2011, 12:54 pm

GavinDragon wrote:oh and hughes has to start at 13

+1
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Sat 10 Sep 2011, 2:09 pm

Hanson would ruin the team spirit that the dragons have, its their biggest strength. Hanson would be bad Newark answer they would go backwards with him.

Agree though that they do need a top quality back. as every time I've seen them play the tatix is pass to brew and see what he can do (honestly was at the ulster v drains game last year and not once in the 80 minutes did they pass to the other winger, ). they need someone else that they can pass to.

As for top 4 yoube git high hope but are in fir disappointment. Top 4 would prob mean being the top Welsh region, a bit to high an expection, a more realistic aim would be to finish above Connacht. both teams ate going to push higher than normal and I think both will finish above a Welsh region. Connacht and dragons are about the same level at the minute, dragons will have to improve over the next few years just to stay level with them.

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by Impossible Standards Sat 10 Sep 2011, 6:43 pm

Dragonater I think your feelings represent most of the supporters at the moment! Sometimes I wonder why we bother going to away matches. I was shocked when the stats were out on our record in Ireland. It's a pathetic record to be honest. Sad
Impossible Standards
Impossible Standards

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 13 Sep 2011, 12:14 pm

"Year after year we (dragons) get promised the lot from better performances to better results. Take for example this year, the fans were promised two 'marque signings' and who did we get?"

Are you a Newcastle Falcons fan in disguise.....cos we think exactly the same

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Comfort Tue 13 Sep 2011, 4:46 pm

9. Evans
10. Tovey
11. Brew
12. Smith (Tuilagi/Henson maybe?)
13. Hughes
14. Chavanga?
15. Thomas (when back from injury)

a lot of maybes/ifs there but that could be a ridiculously exciting backline!

chin up dragons fans, lets at least wait until the fat lady sings and we all know what we're stuck with? good luck for the season. Ale

Comfort

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Tue 13 Sep 2011, 6:54 pm

I really like the Dragons, but their fans need to be realistic here, you have been awful for years, yet now Edwards is coach there is a real chance of progress, there is no shame in losing 2 games away to the stronger Irish sides.
You'll win next week, get into the Hazell stand and enjoy yourself against Aironi!

The rumor is Tuilagi isn't coming, apparently he signed a contract but has done a Joost van der Westhuizen on us...
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Thespacedragon Tue 13 Sep 2011, 7:39 pm

I am frustrated that we didn't get a bonus point or 2 in Ireland. We do lack strength in depth but when our Welsh boys return, what a team we will have!!!
I hope there are a few more players to come in.
I am puzzled why Bedford is picked ahead of Wayne Evans. Evans has been one of our best players for the past few seasons and although he was injured, if he is fit now, he needs to be first choice.

Roll on Saturday and let's hope we pile on the points against them!! Yahoo

Thespacedragon

Back to top Go down

Post by RuckingFlanker86 Tue 13 Sep 2011, 8:05 pm

We've only played two games and we didn't have the luxury of both of them being at home like some teams! Anyway not many teams come away from Leinster and Munster with anything let alone the Dragons, regardless of them missing their internationals or not. Alot of teams have lost more players than us to their national sides but I doubt they are all as much value to them than our five are to us.

Still hopeful on the signings, heard a rumour from another forum that both rumoured signings are on their way. As far as I'm aware the sources are trustworthy. But then who knows!

RuckingFlanker86

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Wed 14 Sep 2011, 12:46 pm

Two of our hardest games are over and done with, we could've picked up a losing BP but we didn't - its not the end of the world.

Biggest issue for me is the injuries we've picked up allready. Can this Tuilagi play centre too ?
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by RuckingFlanker86 Wed 14 Sep 2011, 6:10 pm

Think centre is his position of choice, but does play wing aswell. If Chav is coming as rumoured then suppose he'll mainly play centre.

RuckingFlanker86

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Wed 14 Sep 2011, 6:56 pm

Nobody has said anything anbout Will Harries, I thought he was due back soon from his knee injury or has he left?

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by RuckingFlanker86 Wed 14 Sep 2011, 6:59 pm

Back december I think, maybe earlier if rehab is going good.

RuckingFlanker86

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Wed 14 Sep 2011, 7:26 pm

Thanks,

His name was not coming up, I thought I missed a transfer. He will add a lot to the team allowing Harris to play 13 and strengthen the attack and defence.

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by manofgwent Wed 14 Sep 2011, 7:58 pm

I too get frustrated with my region. There have been promises and there have been hints of new signings. I'm sure a couple will come in, but just dont build up the fans hopes all the time. Two big hitters we were promised! We've been linked with Gavin Henson, although I don't think too many fans ever thought that was going to happen.
I had a letter from the dragons today. Apologising for the delay on the new super duper swipey swipe season ticket card. That's the sort of professionalism I've come to expect from us. 1st home game in 3 days time, 2 weeks after some and it still isn't ready!!
At the Leeds friendly. I bought a round and the new lad serving me had to ask what dd he have to punch into the til to put a magners through. The guy told him. 1 worthy's and half a squash. I was rocking!!
I still don't think the new stand is real. I think it's just a massive poster, like the sea in the Truman show!
On our start. I'm not too worried. We're always a completely different team away from home. We wouldn't have picked anything up in Ireland, even if both teams were at full strength. I'm sure we'll be fine after the WC. My worry is how strong the blues look. The blues and ospreys depth is really showing now and I thought if we were going to qualify for the HC, the blues were the team we'd most likely pip. Still there's a long way to go and just be end on a positive not. Just how good are Toby, Danny and big bird gonna be when they get back in just over 2 weeks time!!!!!!!

Last edited by manofgwent on Wed 14 Sep 2011, 8:02 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spelling)

manofgwent

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Wed 14 Sep 2011, 9:21 pm

The delay with the new stand is a bit unfortunate, but to be honest guys it's the first time Rodney Parade has had a serious upgrade for a long time, and you have to expect teething problems early on.
The faults with the new computer system isn't the fault of the boardroom, but the people who are contracted to make it work, the board is doing their best.

I was at the Leeds game and I didn't see any lad there, isn't it normally the 2 tatooed ladies? Assuming your getting your drink from the Walkabout.

Having seen all the regions so far this season, I think the Dragons are no worse than any of the others. The Scarlets are probably bottom of the pile, from what I have seen so far this season.
The Blues backs look on fire, but the pack needs to tighten up at the rucks. The Ospreys are looking great in the back line also, though consistency does seem to be a problem for a few players at the region, but that is to be expected with young players.

Providing it doesn't rain, and isn't wet the Dragons can expect a bonus point win on Saturday.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by manofgwent Wed 14 Sep 2011, 11:42 pm

Alyn. I know. The fact that it's taken years for any upgrade is just a bit of a running joke with my fellow dragons.
The bar I bought my magners (worthy's and half a squash) was under the hazell stand.
Really I'm dead chuffed with how it's going and the quality we're developing for the national team. I just enjoy having a laugh at my own region. Any team that writes their club name on the match ball, just in case it gets hoofed over one of the stands, deserves to be ripped!
It's a great region to support. Im still pinching myself that we had 3 of the welsh pack on Sunday and we actually had 1 more starter than the blues. That's never happened. Even as a Newport fan back in the day, I can only remember us having the odd international. A lot of springboks at one point though. Just out of interest. When Wales played SA at Wembley. South African players who'd played for Newport or ended up at Newport were; kempson, Garvey, teichmann, Franco smith and Monty. I don't think skinstad played that day.yet I think Wales only had Rogers and howarth. It was on ESPN classics a while back. Crazy! We saw some top talent, but I'm so pleased that our top talent these days is welsh!

manofgwent

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Sun 18 Sep 2011, 6:17 pm

MOG: what about Marinos and the "Welsh " Aus, Jason Jone Hughes, the success of Newport was bought at a high price at the time, Newport probably lost some young players because of these imports taking the starting position within the team!

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum