The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Congratulations Novak and Roger

3 posters

Go down

Congratulations Novak and Roger Empty Congratulations Novak and Roger

Post by Guest Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:28 pm

First of all I would like to congratulate both of these champions on a great match, clearly the best match of the tournament so far and one of the best matches of the year.

For Novak, even at 2 sets down I never felt that he was out of it and that in itself speaks volumes about the improvement in his game and most of all his mental resolve. A year ago if anyone had said that Novak would be 2 sets down to RF at the USO and that he would have fought back from that position to take the match, I doubt that anyone would have believed them. He stepped up his game from the third set onwards (Roger's level clearly dipped too) and became more aggressive. When Novak plays aggressively he is a completely different player; he has the FH to dictate points and take control of the centre of the baseline. Novak is starting to build the same aura of invincibility that Roger and Rafa had.

As for Roger, in the end it was a dissapointing loss given the circumstances of the final set. However Roger reminded everyone why he is the concensus GOAT. At 30 yrs of age, married with 2 young children, having won everything the sport has to offer, he is still, as Novak put it, 'the greatest challenge in tennis'. Roger played a peak Novak right down to the wire, despite being five years past his own prime. I for one hope that he continues to play for many years to come, even if he does not win another slam. Matches like yesterday, in the long run, will only add to his legend and what he has achieved thus far is set in stone - nothing can diminish his standing in the sport. Additionally, yesterdays match showed once again how tight it is at the top and RF is still right in the mix.

ghost

emancipator

Back to top Go down

Congratulations Novak and Roger Empty Re: Congratulations Novak and Roger

Post by luciusmann Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:00 pm

Finally a positive post. I fully agree Emancipator. Despite the loss and what other posters might call 'wishful thinking' I think everyone will agree it was a great match yesterday and I actually believe if Fed can continue to play like that he can without doubt win one more slam (2 might be difficult but if he plays for another 2/3 years, who knows.

I've said elsewhere but I will say it again, when and where I don't know, maybe Fed will take us all by surprise but it truly is Djokovic's moment for now. Djokovic can achieve something on Monday which only Delpo has ever done, beat Federer & Nadal in successive matches and in the same grand slam. That really would be an achievement which underlines his superb form this season. Beware what Laverfan said earlier this year though about the record of those who've won 3 slams in a calendar year and what's happened to them in the subsequent year.....funny how when laverfan said that, it seemed Nadal was on cruise control to win 2 or 3 slams and now no one thinks that's anywhere near as likely.

luciusmann

Back to top Go down

Post by Manojchandra Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:41 pm

Agree with the sentiment. Let's see a great final too.

Manojchandra

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:54 pm

Yes, credit to Roger. As I have said before at 30 years old he is still Novak's toughest challenge which speaks volumes about his ability and his legacy in the game.

Of course what more can you say about Novak. He shows his fitness, mental toughness, as well as the fact that contrary to popular opinion among some he is a talented ball striker with a vast arsenal of weapons. Most importantly he can bring those weapons to bear in the biggest matches at the most crucial times.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:03 pm

socal1976 wrote:Yes, credit to Roger. As I have said before at 30 years old he is still Novak's toughest challenge which speaks volumes about his ability and his legacy in the game.

Of course what more can you say about Novak. He shows his fitness, mental toughness, as well as the fact that contrary to popular opinion among some he is a talented ball striker with a vast arsenal of weapons. Most importantly he can bring those weapons to bear in the biggest matches at the most crucial times.

Yes I agree.

Novak has a very strong all round game with no obvious weaknesses. Novak has reached the summit, but remaining there will be a more difficult task. When you have reached such lofty heights there is only one way left to go. The pressure and challenge of remaining at the top will be huge over the next couple of years. His mental toughness will be tested to the limit. Since 2000 only Federer has managed to stay at the very top for consecutive years. However, for what he has achieved this season alone, he (Novak) deserves huge credit.

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:35 pm

Emancipator, that is the most impressive of fed's accomplishments for me as well the incredible consistency at the top that he has been able to maintain. And its tough to get to the top maybe tougher to stay there.

Novak will have to get up pretty early in the morning to replicate anything like that type of consistency. There is bound to be someone who rises up in the next year or two who is going to threaten his dominance it always happens. And all glory is fleating especially in tennis. As a fan that is why I am enjoying why it lasts.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down