The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Minnows competing with the bigger fish

+5
Kingshu
Cowshot
red_stag
aitchw
kiakahaaotearoa
9 posters

Go down

Minnows competing with the bigger fish Empty Minnows competing with the bigger fish

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Mon 12 Sep 2011, 8:47 am

Well yesterday´s game against SA and Wales was by far and away the best match of the tournament so far. Good to see Wales play so well and you have to feel for them. But SA showed their resilience and the importance of taking your chances when you have them. So many swings in momentum during that match, and from a neutral´s perspective it was a great rugby contest.

But with the other matches so far, the top teams haven´t shown anything so far to write home about. Wales probably played the best and still couldn´t come out on top. NZ had a good first half and then fell away abruptly in the second half. England, even more than SA, somehow found a way to win in a match that looked for the great part to be moving away from them. Australia took until the second half to move up a gear, France found themselves in a game against Japan, Ireland found it hard work against a spirited USA side, Fiji didn´t have it easy against Namibia and Scotland found themselves beaten up front by a very combative Romanian side.

So plenty of work for the top sides to work on. Still plenty of rugby left and in the pools games, points are the most important factor rather than the manner of the win. But regardless of the form of the top sides, let´s take our hats off to the so-called minnow sides who are showing a lot of pride in their play and really taking the game to the top sides. So far we haven´t had any cricket score blow outs which is great for the tournament. Firstly, it does the top sides no good in being able to score with abundant ease and secondly it does the minnow sides no good to have their pride smashed to smithereens on the park.

What we´ve seen this tournament so far is that the skill base is not so disparate. Defensive structures are holding shape well against the top sides and they´re even capable of retaining possession and scoring points. Tonga, although not strictly a minnow, seemed to overcome their stage fright of the first half and came out in the second half and held their line and even scored a try. That second half, although very scrappy for the ABs, was much better than the first half in terms of later on in the touranament. Knowing how to scrap your way to a win is an important thing in knockout rugby. England and SA showed how to do it and it´s no secret they´ve done well in previous touraments. So even though the top sides have yet to show their best rugby, I´m delighted to see the so-called minnow sides performing so well. Good on them and maybe an upset will come from their ranks and if so it will be richly deserved. The fact that these games are relatively close means that rugby is developing outside the traditional spheres and that can only be a good thing. Keep up the good work and hopefully the games like USA vs Moscow, Georgia vs Romania will have a lot of support from the crowds and they are able to demonstrate that this tournament is theirs as well.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Minnows competing with the bigger fish Empty Re: Minnows competing with the bigger fish

Post by aitchw Mon 12 Sep 2011, 9:04 am

Totally agree with that. I always look forward to seeing the 'smaller' nations at the World Cup, to see them progressing and the game developing into a truly world sport. Over the 50 years I have played and watched rugby the more recent expansion in participation has been a source of real pride in the game I love. Recognition of the spirit in which we play has been a major part of that.

Well done to all of them. I hope they take some great memories and experience back home at the end of it.

aitchw

http://www.winmax-leisure.com

Back to top Go down

Minnows competing with the bigger fish Empty Re: Minnows competing with the bigger fish

Post by red_stag Mon 12 Sep 2011, 9:34 am

Never mind memories I'm still hopeful there can be a result.

Tonga v France

Italy v Ireland

Samoa v South Africa

Samoa v Wales

Fiji v Wales

Georgia v Argentina

Romania v Argentina

Georgia v Scotland

Any possible upsets there?
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Mon 12 Sep 2011, 9:44 am

Samoa are worth a shout although it´s a disservice to call them a minnow. They´ll have great home support and if they´re in with a sniff, they seem to be able to lift their performance. I hope for their sake they can not only sneak an upset but can also progress through to the quarters.

As for the other ones you mentioned there Stag, Georgia or Romania might be outside chances and Fiji have shown in 2007 what they´re capable of. But I´m also looking forward to the likes of USA vs Russia, Georgia vs Romania, Japan vs Tonga or Canada to see these teams compete on a fairly even pegging and showcase their talents.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Cowshot Mon 12 Sep 2011, 9:57 am

The gap betwen the traditional big boys and the newer teams is getting smaller. Don't think anyone has a 50+ margin (yet, anyway) and teams seem to be coming from ever more unusual places.

And of course everyone supports the minnows against the big sides, which must help create a great atmosphere at the competition. An upset is only a matter of time.

Cowshot

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Mon 12 Sep 2011, 10:10 am

Big scores may appear in the last stages of the groups as fatigue and injuries, will take a greater toll on the minnows than the big teams.

But its good they are able to keep it close at present, like the Georga manager said the gap between EC1 and top teir in Europe is closing.

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Mon 12 Sep 2011, 10:20 am

That´s true Kingshu but generally the minnows have the advantage that the top sides rotate and rest their top players against the lesser sides which brings the gap down to a more even pegging.

What´s pleased me most so far is that the forwards in particular have shown they can compete. With coaching and video analysis, defensive structures appear more solid as well. Add in players who have been drafted in overseas to bring experience and composure and things appear rosy.

What this World Cup is showing so far is that there are a lot of teams who are ready for more meaningful competition with the top sides and the IRB should be looking at ways to further develop these sides. Obviously the current comps like the Pacific Cup or Churchill Cup are doing wonders but the IRB shouldn´t rest on their laurels and think that the status quo is enough to move in the right direction. The sevens circuit has thrown up some emerging nations and just goes to show how important regular and meaningful competition can quicken the pace of development.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 12 Sep 2011, 10:22 am

I agree with Kingshu, when fatigue and injuries start playing a role in later pool matches, the "minnows" with their lack of quality depth may start to struggle.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Cowshot Mon 12 Sep 2011, 10:29 am

Obviously the current comps like the Pacific Cup or Churchill Cup are doing wonders...

Churchill Cup is finished. It was apparently only set up for a few years. If I have got this right and it really is gone, I think that's a bad mistake. It has been a great little competition well worth the watching and I wish it ws continuing.

Cowshot

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Mon 12 Sep 2011, 10:34 am

Don´t worry, you got the win Biltong. I´m sure Matfield´s and Botha´s absence won´t prove too harmful for SA. Whistle

Just kidding mate. It will be interesting to see later on how the "minnows will be effected". But the other advantage they hold over the bigger teams is that their team is largely a big unknown quantity which makes it difficult to appear. This may well prove less of an advantage though the more the tournament progresses as opposition coaches will become more savvy to their style of playing.

Then again, teams like Georgia and Romania don´t hide their particular strengths, especially with bodies like they have. It´s like the whole team is a carbon copy of one another. A team of front forward clones with more or less the same attributes and skills from 1 to 15. I´m sure when the scrums occur, numbers 9 to 15 instinctively crouch just before the scrum hit.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Mon 12 Sep 2011, 10:37 am

Yeah Cowshot, just read England Saxons won sixth and final Churchill Cup. With a bit of luck that means the tournament will involve more teams and be called something different, but if it means the demise of this tournament then that´s exactly the narrow mindedness and lack of foresight I was talking about earlier.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 12 Sep 2011, 10:39 am

biltongbek wrote:I agree with Kingshu, when fatigue and injuries start playing a role in later pool matches, the "minnows" with their lack of quality depth may start to struggle.

I think so too. The worst time to play the "minnows" is in the first few rounds of games. I think a lot of them will struggle to back up their performances but I think the performance gap is narrowing and the top 10 sides can no longer expect an easy game against the lower ranked sides.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 12 Sep 2011, 10:42 am

kiakahaaotearoa wrote:Don´t worry, you got the win Biltong. I´m sure Matfield´s and Botha´s absence won´t prove too harmful for SA. Whistle

Just kidding mate. It will be interesting to see later on how the "minnows will be effected". But the other advantage they hold over the bigger teams is that their team is largely a big unknown quantity which makes it difficult to appear. This may well prove less of an advantage though the more the tournament progresses as opposition coaches will become more savvy to their style of playing.

Then again, teams like Georgia and Romania don´t hide their particular strengths, especially with bodies like they have. It´s like the whole team is a carbon copy of one another. A team of front forward clones with more or less the same attributes and skills from 1 to 15. I´m sure when the scrums occur, numbers 9 to 15 instinctively crouch just before the scrum hit.

laughing Excellent Kia, now that I can actually imagine.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Mon 12 Sep 2011, 10:46 am

Or maybe the numbers on their jerseys can be peeled off and if 1 to 8 are feeling the strain, 9 to 15 can swap numbers and the ref will never know. They all look the same.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Cowshot Mon 12 Sep 2011, 10:47 am

With a bit of luck that means the tournament will involve more teams and be called something different

Hope so. If I have remembered right, English Rugby pretty much paid for the whole thing, including helping teams like Georgia get to the competition, and didn't want that to be a permanent commitment. I suspect that the original idea was to find a sponsor, but since 99.9% of the Board were playing stupid self indulgent power games designed to show how they and they alone were responsible for any England success no one could be bothered.

Skin the lost of them and use them for Rugby balls. mad

Cowshot

Back to top Go down

Post by Gunner Mon 12 Sep 2011, 1:53 pm

Possible Shocks for me.

Scotland v Georgia
Why?
Snow, Rain, 7.30pm kick off

Tonga v France
Why?
The NZ Tongan Community + god!!!!!

Samoa v Wales/Boks
Why?
See Tonga and A Tuilagi

Italy v Ireland
Why?
Race to the bottom!!!!

Gunner

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon 12 Sep 2011, 2:03 pm

Agree the competitions around the world are benefitting the smaller nations.

But also the number of these players now playing in the top leagues.

Russians at Sale, Georgians in the french leagues, PIlanders everywhere. etc.
Dont get as many cricket scores as in the past.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 12 Sep 2011, 2:17 pm

The RWC and minnow teams are the best way of window shopping for professional clubs, usually they can get those "minnow" players at bargain basement prices if they aren't contracted already.

It is like having a scout scour the earth for talent, only this way it is cheaper and you can do it from your arm chair.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Gunner Mon 12 Sep 2011, 2:21 pm

biltongbek wrote:The RWC and minnow teams are the best way of window shopping for professional clubs, usually they can get those "minnow" players at bargain basement prices if they aren't contracted already.

It is like having a scout scour the earth for talent, only this way it is cheaper and you can do it from your arm chair.

Anyone need a Romanian frontrower?

Gunner

Back to top Go down

Post by Gunner Mon 12 Sep 2011, 2:23 pm

biltongbek wrote:The RWC and minnow teams are the best way of window shopping for professional clubs, usually they can get those "minnow" players at bargain basement prices if they aren't contracted already.

Gunner

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 12 Sep 2011, 2:26 pm

Gunner wrote:

As Kia aluded to earlier, if the fornt row has been contracted any of the other players all the way to 15 can be used to scrummage, even the back crouch when the referee start crouch, touch, pause, engage. They are all big enough to be usefull.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon 12 Sep 2011, 2:32 pm

"Anyone need a Romanian frontrower?."

If he's called Tincu....the Falcons will have him please! Very Happy

I just love the fact so many other nations are playing now to varying levels.

In Europe all the Euro Nation leagues under the 6n- Czech Republic, Germany, etc

Africa has the african championships....and teams like Kenya performing so well in the 7's.
In asia there is the 5 nations aswell and whilst japan dominate - there is a promotion / relegation method, and teams like Thailand are playing (in the 3 division i believe.)

Its good to see and fascinating to watch their progress.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Mon 12 Sep 2011, 2:40 pm

Yes, I agree the combination of meaningful competition around the globe and players playing in professional leagues is helping develop the game. But if Argentina is only just being admitted to decent annual competition, then it shows there is still a lot of work to be done.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down