The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Samoa name Full Strength team for Namibia - 4 days before Wales game.

+6
Ozzy3213
Biltong
nottins_jones
Cymroglan
Taylorman
Shifty
10 posters

Go down

Samoa name Full Strength team for Namibia - 4 days before Wales game. Empty Samoa name Full Strength team for Namibia - 4 days before Wales game.

Post by Shifty Mon 12 Sep - 19:00

Samoa have named their first choice team for their first World Cup game against Namibia. the exact same team who beat Australia in fact.
Samoa Coach Dickie Tafua says, "this is our first game, the best team we've selected. We're not worried about the second game."
4 days later the same team are likely to face Wales.
Namibia have also named their strongest pack to by physical with Samoa.
Coach Johan Diergaardt, in explaining the changes from the Fiji game, says, "up front we want to be a little bit more physical, and out back we want a little more speed."

Samoa:
15 Paul Williams,
14 Sailosi Tagicakibau,
13 George Pisi,
12 Seilala Mapusua,
11 Alesani Tuilagi,
10 Tusi Pisi,
9 Kahn Fotuali'i,
8 George Stowers,
7 Maurie Faasavalu,
6 Taiasina Tuifua,
5 Kane Thompson,
4 Daniel Leo,
3 Anthony Perenise,
2 Mahonri Schwalger (capt),
1 Sakaria Taulafo.

Replacements: 16 Ti'i Paulo, 17 Census Johnston, 18 Joe Tekori, 19 Ofisa Treviranus, 20 Junior Poluleuligaga, 21 Eliota Fuimaono-Sapolu, 22 Tasesa Lavea.

Namibia: 15 Chrysander Botha, 14 Danie Dames, 13 Danie van Wyk, 12 Piet van Zyl, 11 Llewellyn Winkler, 10 Theuns Kotze, 9 Eugene Jantjies, 8 Pieter Jan van Lill, 7 Jacques Burger (capt), 6 Jacques Nieuwenhuis; 5 Henk Franken, 4 Heinz Koll, 3 Raoul Larson, 2 Hugo Horn, 1 Johnnie Redelinghuys.
Replacements: 16 Bertus O'Callaghan, 17 Jane du Toit, 18 Nico Esterhuyse, 19 Rohan Kitshoff, 20 Ryan de la Harpe, 21 Darryl de la Harpe, 22 TC Losper.

Last edited by AlynDavies on Mon 12 Sep - 19:13; edited 2 times in total
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Samoa name Full Strength team for Namibia - 4 days before Wales game. Empty Re: Samoa name Full Strength team for Namibia - 4 days before Wales game.

Post by Shifty Mon 12 Sep - 19:01

As a Wales fan this is fantastic news, Namibia have said their going to go at the Samoa pack, so hopefully they will put a few dents in them for us, while Wales get the extra 3 days rest to get over their knocks.
Wales also made minimal tackles against South Africa and havent been bashed up quite as badly as we thought they might be.

Good news lets hope Namibia do us a favor.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Samoa name Full Strength team for Namibia - 4 days before Wales game. Empty Re: Samoa name Full Strength team for Namibia - 4 days before Wales game.

Post by Taylorman Mon 12 Sep - 19:17

Samoa will be going in with their full team to get match fit.

From what I can see they're buzzing, have no major injuries and this is to get them on the field as prep for the Wales game, get their combinations going, lines and angles right, scrums and lineouts sorted.

They'll be ready on Sunday and Wales I think again are going to provide the match of the weekend after their SA effort. Best I've seen them for ages. The only down side is they just still have no penetration and that side to side getting nowhere stuff is still there. SA made what, 100 tackles?

Thats saying more of Wales than SA as I think you'll find tackle counts are usually high on Wales- good at recycling, not so good at breaking through.

But what a match that's going to be. Love this game...

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Mon 12 Sep - 19:21

Wales did cut Argentina and England to pieces with minimal chances a few weeks ago. i don't really think you can say the Welsh attack is blunt on the one South Africa game, though it may lull Samoa in a false sense of security. Wales are capable of scoring points against Samoa. South Africa have a brilliant defence, Samoa doesn't, they really struggle in that area.

I think it's fantastic Samoa are taking such a heavy risk by playing their full team before they play us though, they will be knackered at the end of the Wales match.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Mon 12 Sep - 19:29

I think they know that they must beat Namibia and come out of that game with a bonus point win.
That single point Sunday makes a hell of a difference..

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Mon 12 Sep - 19:40

Cymroglan wrote:I think they know that they must beat Namibia and come out of that game with a bonus point win.
That single point Sunday makes a hell of a difference..
I'm guessing they will make changes when they know they have won the game, so the best case scenario for Wales is for Namibia to push them for as long as possible.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Mon 12 Sep - 20:08

AlynDavies wrote:Wales did cut Argentina and England to pieces with minimal chances a few weeks ago. i don't really think you can say the Welsh attack is blunt on the one South Africa game, though it may lull Samoa in a false sense of security. Wales are capable of scoring points against Samoa. South Africa have a brilliant defence, Samoa doesn't, they really struggle in that area.

I think it's fantastic Samoa are taking such a heavy risk by playing their full team before they play us though, they will be knackered at the end of the Wales match.

Thats fair enough then. Can't say I watched a lot of those recent matches. It was more the 6N where I was supporting them, and AI's, Fiji etc I was basing that on so apologies there. Good point, and explains to me why they're at the level they are. I thought that was all they were missing last year.

That game will have everyone jumping out of their skins, believe me. Can't wait...

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by nottins_jones Mon 12 Sep - 20:50

Taylor, when do NZ play France? And personally, I wouldn't expect us to cut loose, it's got us nowhere in the past. Saying that we are a totally different team now so who knows. I think we can dominate them up front and I just hope the ref DOES punish them when we're driving them back in the scrums.
nottins_jones
nottins_jones

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 12 Sep - 20:53

Taylorman wrote:Samoa will be going in with their full team to get match fit.

From what I can see they're buzzing, have no major injuries and this is to get them on the field as prep for the Wales game, get their combinations going, lines and angles right, scrums and lineouts sorted.

They'll be ready on Sunday and Wales I think again are going to provide the match of the weekend after their SA effort. Best I've seen them for ages. The only down side is they just still have no penetration and that side to side getting nowhere stuff is still there. SA made what, 100 tackles?

Thats saying more of Wales than SA as I think you'll find tackle counts are usually high on Wales- good at recycling, not so good at breaking through.

178 tackles
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Mon 12 Sep - 21:07

When you look at the Samoa results they seem to be all over the shop.
They seem to do a France it depends what Samoan side turns up.

http://www.rugbydata.com/samoa/gamesplayed[list=1]

When link opens select games played just under Statistics for Samoa

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Mon 12 Sep - 21:08

nottins_jones wrote:Taylor, when do NZ play France?

Sat, Sept 24th.

We're not reading a lot into that game. We've played France before though they're record at Eden Park is better than most- only team to win there since 1986 (94) and in 79 Arguires team took us apart there with some scintillating tries. Patrice Lagisquet, Didier Cordonieu, Alain Caussade, Rives, Averous, a young Blanco, JL Joinel, Dubrocca, - one of my favorite ever matches.

Its not a 2007 or 1999 match for us but we will want to close it out without too much fuss. Not sure France are the team they have been.

The Wales Samoa match offers much more...Loved watching Wales play SA and can't wait to see this Samoan team hit their straps.

We're well and truly spoilt with all this rugby all around us...like kids who can't keep their hands out of the candy jar...

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Mon 12 Sep - 21:13

Cymroglan wrote:When you look at the Samoa results they seem to be all over the shop.
They seem to do a France it depends what Samoan side turns up.

http://www.rugbydata.com/samoa/gamesplayed[list=1]

When link opens select games played just under Statistics for Samoa

It literally does depend which side turns up Cymro. If you look at their two most recent results the win over Australia and a defeat to Tonga, not one player who was in the matchday 22 against Tonga started against Australia.

when they put out their strongest team, they are a force, but they have little depth, in particular in key decision making positions.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Mon 12 Sep - 21:27

The teams:

Samoa squad v Australia
Samoa: 15 Paul Williams, 14 Sailosi Tagicakibau, 13 George Pisi, 12 Seilala Mapusua, 11 Alesana Tuilagi, 10 Tusi Pisi, 9 Kahn Fotuali'i, 8 George Stowers, 7 Maurie Fa'asavalu, 6 Taisina Tuifu'a, 5 Daniel Leo, 4 Kane Thompson, 3 Anthony Perenise, 2 Mahonri Schwalger (c), 1 Sakaria Taulafo.
Replacements: 16 Ti'i Paulo, 17 Census Johnston, 18 Filipo Lavea Levi, 19 Manaia Salavea, 20 Brenton Helleur, 21 Eliota Fuimaono Sapolu, 22 James So'oialo.
Sky Bet Prediction: I expect this to be fairly close until about the half-hour mark. Australia by 26!

Well they got that wrong.

They are putting the same side out v Namibia.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Mon 12 Sep - 21:46

It also depends on how much time they've had together. Usually they have a few days training then straight into the first game, maybe a second or third and then they separate again.

At World Cups they're together for extended period, they had the PNC to prepare and the game against Australia. It's the main reason they do relatively well at the WC. Last time out they didn't do too well but if I remember they had something like 17 injuries and they don't have the depth to cope with that (who does?)

I'll be getting behind Wales for the rest of the games but I'm hoping for Samoa win in this one (for Manu).

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Mon 12 Sep - 21:59

It's asking a bit much for that side to compete at international level with only three full days rest between tests.
Even the slightest of injuries don't get much time to heal.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Mon 12 Sep - 22:32

Cymroglan wrote:It's asking a bit much for that side to compete at international level with only three full days rest between tests.

Samoans are a different breed in a way. They'd be ok to play every day if they could they love it so much. If theyre hurting or fatigued they probably wouldnt even know it.

They'll be fine.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Mon 12 Sep - 22:40

Taylorman wrote:
Cymroglan wrote:It's asking a bit much for that side to compete at international level with only three full days rest between tests.

Samoans are a different breed in a way. They'd be ok to play every day if they could they love it so much. If theyre hurting or fatigued they probably wouldnt even know it.

They'll be fine.

I'd go along with that. The thing is they do most of the big tackling rather than taking the hits, so I don't think they get battered up quite the same way as other teams.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Mon 12 Sep - 22:57

HammerofThunor wrote:It also depends on how much time they've had together. Usually they have a few days training then straight into the first game, maybe a second or third and then they separate again.

At World Cups they're together for extended period, they had the PNC to prepare and the game against Australia. It's the main reason they do relatively well at the WC. Last time out they didn't do too well but if I remember they had something like 17 injuries and they don't have the depth to cope with that (who does?)

I'll be getting behind Wales for the rest of the games but I'm hoping for Samoa win in this one (for Manu).

If that is correct then they do have their fare share of injuries,The only injury I can clearly remember was full-back Gavin Williams against Tonga.
This has nothing to do with rugby but I served in the Army with many Fijians they were strong fit lads but they seemed to suffer with stamina but then that does not mean all Pacific Islanders would be the same.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Mon 12 Sep - 23:04

Taylorman wrote:Samoa will be going in with their full team to get match fit.

The single improvement to counter our lack of go forward is to bench Philipps. His love of close quarter battle, crabbing, pausing, looking up and finally passing gives defences time align and to cross the gainline and we start going backwards, become lateral. We need to be more creative and attack slightly wider than we did v SA to draw in Samoa backline, then the gaps should open up

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Tue 13 Sep - 2:05

Remember the last time we played Samoa and refused to adopt the more effective strategy? We were clearly making more ground coming off the base of the ruck and actually looking for the contact. Instead we made futile efforts to play a different style and tried to open gaps and find space, resulting in an unsavoury amount of lateral running and the Samoans tackling like beasts which of course upped their confidence to the max. Our handling was a joke that day and we barely got away with the result.

That side will be gunning for our scalp as always, perhaps more so than usual considering the occasion. But I'm confident that if we play with the same heart and pressure as we did against SA then we can do it. When you were the better side against the defending world champs and they were lucky to get away with it then I think it's safe to say a change of tactics isn't required.

What I really want to see if we have the Samoans reeling at any time is for us to take full advantage. The difference between a victory and a brave defeat is arguably the ability to close out the game which we must learn to do when presented with the chance. The more you put past the opposition, the more you chip away at their confidence and if the ground work is there as it was against the Boks we need to make it count.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Tue 13 Sep - 17:08

I'm not sure how much you can gauge from the previous Samoa games, it's fun to mention the 1999 game, but Wales banished that memory in 2000 when we stuffed them by 50 points in Cardiff, after all their players retired after the world Cup.

2009 isn't much better, Wales dominated the game they just didn't score points when they had territory and possestion and it was only silly errors at crucial times that stopped Wales running up a cricket score. A little bit of luck at the end for Samoa got them a score and gave it credibility.

If we assume the team that beat Australia, and the one that is lining up against Namibia is their first choice, then Samoa picked these players against Wales in 2009, Australia and Namibia.
Though nearly all the players who played for Samoa in 2009 are in their World Cup squad.

12 Seilala Mapusua
11 Alesani Tuilagi,
8 George Stowers,
5 Kane Thompson,
2 Mahonri Schwalger (capt),
17 Census Johnston, (tight head prop)
18 Joe Tekori, (lock)
19 Ofisa Treviranus, (openside)
20 Junior Poluleuligaga, (scrum half)

Wales pretty much stuffed this Samoa team everywhere apart from on the score board, because Dan Biggar had a bit of a mare!

Last edited by AlynDavies on Tue 13 Sep - 17:15; edited 1 time in total
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Tue 13 Sep - 17:14

AlynDavies wrote:2009 isn't much better, Wales dominated the game they just didn't score points when they had territory and possestion and it was only silly errors at crucial times that stopped Wales running up a cricket score. A little bit of luck at the end for Samoa got them a score and gave it credibility.

Was that the time when Samoa were camped on the Welsh try line at the end and so fortunately reffing towards Wales resulted in the turnover when a try would have won the game for them?

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Tue 13 Sep - 17:25

HammerofThunor wrote:Was that the time when Samoa were camped on the Welsh try line at the end and so fortunately reffing towards Wales resulted in the turnover when a try would have won the game for them?

Depends how you look at it really...
Wales totally dominated the first 60 minutes, to the point where Samoa only had the ball when trying to scramble it away.
At 61 minutes with Wales leading 17-6 and Wales players lineup to score inside the Samoa 22 having a huge overlap, Dan Biggar threw a totally stupid long pass which was intercepted by center Seilala Mapusua, who run the length of the pitch to score and put the score 17-13, and Samoa sniffed a win, but Wales held on. The "turnover" as you put it, was actually a silly pass from their scrum half which totally missed all their players and went into touch. Wales got the scrum as the pass was forward and Wales cleared their lines. Though the game actually ended near the Samoa try line, with them under pressure, they tried to run the ball from underneath their own posts, messed it up and Andy Powell kicked it through but couldn't quite score as the ball went over the dead ball line and Fitzgerald blew for full time.
You seem very anti Welsh so I'm not suprised you remember the fact that Wales almost lost through silly play, but forget they totally dominated Samoa for 60 minutes.
As for your referee comment, you forget Wales cut through in the first 50 seconds through Dwayne Peel, Warburton took the pass and got tackled just short with Wales players all over the ruck and the Samoan tackler (14) the only defender who was on the floor, and played it with his hands on their try line. that could easily be a yellow card right there (and should of been), so Fitzgerald was pretty lenient towards them all the way through. In fact AFTER Peel passed to Warburton he got late tackled and shoulder charged in the face by Full Back Lolo Lui, which did result in a Yellow card. Jiffy christened him "late Lui".

Last edited by AlynDavies on Tue 13 Sep - 17:34; edited 4 times in total
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by nottins_jones Tue 13 Sep - 17:30

The forwards are a far better unit now and the backs are very potent. We dominate Samoa for 60 mins and game is well over for them. Easier said than done though, I can't wait to take a look at them versus Namibia.

Come on WALES.
nottins_jones
nottins_jones

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Tue 13 Sep - 17:31

Diagonal Dan had a mare that day

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Tue 13 Sep - 17:35

Cymroglan wrote:Diagonal Dan had a mare that day

Balls I wish I'd explained it like that instead of mentioning the intercept try, lol. 🤦
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 13 Sep - 17:37

I remember that 2009 game as being a scrappy affair where Wales were lucky not to concede a penalty try and lose the game.

Oh, but I'm probably being anti-Welsh [slapsownwrist]

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Tue 13 Sep - 17:43

AlynDavies wrote:
HammerofThunor wrote:Was that the time when Samoa were camped on the Welsh try line at the end and so fortunately reffing towards Wales resulted in the turnover when a try would have won the game for them?

Depends how you look at it really...
Wales totally dominated the first 60 minutes, to the point where Samoa only had the ball when trying to scramble it away.
At 61 minutes with Wales leading 17-6 and Wales players lineup to score inside the Samoa 22 having a huge overlap, Dan Biggar threw a totally stupid long pass which was intercepted by center Seilala Mapusua, who run the length of the pitch to score and put the score 17-13, and Samoa sniffed a win, but Wales held on. The "turnover" as you put it, was actually a silly pass from their scrum half which totally missed all their players and went into touch. Wales got the scrum as the pass was forward and Wales cleared their lines. Though the game actually ended near the Samoa try line, with them under pressure, they tried to run the ball from underneath their own posts, messed it up and Andy Powell kicked it through but couldn't quite score as the ball went over the dead ball line and Fitzgerald blew for full time.
You seem very anti Welsh so I'm not suprised you remember the fact that Wales almost lost through silly play, but forget they totally dominated Samoa for 60 minutes.
As for your referee comment, you forget Wales cut through in the first 50 seconds through Dwayne Peel, Warburton took the pass and got tackled just short with Wales players all over the ruck and the Samoan tackler (14) the only defender who was on the floor, and played it with his hands on their try line. that could easily be a yellow card right there, so Fitzgerald was pretty lenient towards them all the way through. In fact AFTER Peel passed to Warburton he got late tackled and shoulder charged in the face by Full Back Lolo Lui, which did result in a Yellow card.

You made all that up right? Very Happy Don't remember it that well so definitly bow to you version. I seem to remember thinking the first yellow was a bit unfair but my memory is obviously dodgy.

England 'totally dominated' Wales for most of the game a few weeks ago and still deservedly lost.

Regarding my Anti-Welsh, I suppose I am (although I try not to be). Wales used to be my 2nd team before I moved there 3 years. That was 3 years of being told England were rubbish and everyone (and I mean every single Welsh person I met, except my father-in-law) wanted England to lose evry game. This built up to me watcing the 2007 final in Resolven and had everyone telling me England didn't deserve to be in final, it was boring and had chants of where England could stick their chariot. Not long after I moved away (for work) so my only contact with 'Welsh rugby' was 606. Although there are some good Welsh posters (Cymroglan, Shrink, JB1793, welshy824 etc) the **** are the ones who win on volume. I do try and get over it (as it's pathetic) and support Wales for my in-law/wife but have struggled at times. After the South African I will be backing them against everyone other than Samoa (for Manu).

And I still get to the odd Osprey game when I'm visiting the in-laws (rarely). If you looked at my profile I do list the Ospreys as one of my teams.

I also hate Mike Phillips. I think this is ok though as my wife fancies the pants off him (the main reason I hate him).

Last edited by HammerofThunor on Tue 13 Sep - 22:01; edited 1 time in total

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Tue 13 Sep - 17:44

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=48JF7IV7
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=2OXD5XBN

Feel free to download the game and watch it again thumbsup
It saves the thread decending into a petty slagging match.

HammerofThunor wrote:You made all that up right? Very Happy Don't remember it that well so definitly bow to you version.
Nope the game is on my hard drive and one I like to watch occasionally Smile.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by welshy824 Tue 13 Sep - 21:10

HammerofThunor wrote:
England 'totally dominated' Wales for most of the game a few weeks ago and still deservedly lost.

Regarding my Anti-Welsh, I suppose I am (although I try not to be). Wales used to be my 2nd team before I moved there 3 years. That was 3 years of being told England were rubbish and everyone (and I mean every single Welsh person I met, except my father-in-law) wanted England to lose evry game. This built up to me watcing the 2007 final in Resolven and had everyone telling me England didn't deserve to be in final, it was boring and had chants of where England could stick their chariot. Not long after I moved away (for work) so my only contact with 'Welsh rugby' was 606. Although there are some good Welsh posters (Cymroglan, Shrink, JB1793, etc) the **** are the ones who win on volume. I do try and get over it (as it's pathetic) and support Wales for my in-law/wife but have struggled at times. After the South African I will be backing them against everyone other than Samoa (for Manu).

And I still get to the odd Osprey game when I'm visiting the in-laws (rarely). If you looked at my profile I do list the Ospreys as one of my teams.

I also hate Mike Phillips. I think this is ok though as my wife fancies the pants off him (the main reason I hate him).

=( i am not a good welsh poster, BOOO HOOO Crying or Very sad

in regards to that, i do think welsh do take the as long as we beat the english (which is a quality song btw) too far, although i dont tend to support england in matches its not because of my hate of england but merley as i like the underdogs to do well.

also have to say that bit about the chariots does fit into perfect timing with swing low sweet chariot

welshy824

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Tue 13 Sep - 22:09

welshy, what do you mean? You're in there, read it again Hug .

I don't think it's hate of England (except in the odd extreme occasion) and I don't expect any non-English to support England. However the active desire for England to lose, which I generally came across, makes me want to return the favour. No probles with the Welsh in any other way. I didn't call off the wedding and I can sing (if you call it that) Little Saucepan in welsh (if not write it Rolling Eyes ).

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by welshy824 Wed 14 Sep - 16:57

yay! Hug
yeh i understand i guess some people still find the "old rivalry" quite a big thing, whereas it is i still think both teams can aspire to more than beating each other.

and dont worry about the writing in welsh, i can barely do it (well i can as long as it was whatever i did in my gcses!!!) and speaking welsh add boyo or a welsh accent and you are sorted Wink

welshy824

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Wed 14 Sep - 17:47

HammerofThunor wrote:welshy, what do you mean? You're in there, read it again Hug .

I don't think it's hate of England (except in the odd extreme occasion) and I don't expect any non-English to support England. However the active desire for England to lose, which I generally came across, makes me want to return the favour. No probles with the Welsh in any other way. I didn't call off the wedding and I can sing (if you call it that) Little Saucepan in welsh (if not write it Rolling Eyes ).

Wales actually like the English, we only behave oddly on international rugby days, when we get over excited. Most Welsh people support the English football team, I do.
English rugby will always be assosiated with the English upper class, and public schools for the Welsh and that image will never die, hence the hostility, but it's only for the rugby team not England. thumbsup

Remember in older days, the home nations used to team up to play each other, the thing is Scotland and Ireland refused point blank to team with England... Wales did it happily. Wales and England beat Scotland and Ireland every time we teamed up also Wink.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down