The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Brundle's take on Schumachers moves on Hamilton

3 posters

Go down

Brundle's take on Schumachers moves on Hamilton Empty Brundle's take on Schumachers moves on Hamilton

Post by Belgarion of Riva Tue 13 Sep 2011, 9:19 am

I've highlighted some interesting statements;

"Surprisingly, they were not asked to comment on the robust defence by Michael Schumacher from Lewis Hamilton.

A steward told me after the race that he was very frustrated not to have been consulted during the race, particularly as he takes a very dim view of what he perceived as blocking.

I asked race director Charlie Whiting if the stewards can call up issues for themselves if they are not happy with something they see, and he said: "Absolutely".

The procedure which did happen was race control spoke with the team and gave a warning which translated into two radio calls from team principal Ross Brawn to Schumacher to leave more space for Hamilton.

This undoubtedly confirmed Schumacher was driving in an aggressive and questionable manner, and it must be said that many teams and drivers would have appreciated this service in the past rather than being issued an immediate penalty.

The regulations are very clear that you cannot force another driver off the track. It should have been at least investigated as to whether Alonso did this to Vettel, and Schumacher to Hamilton.

When the stewards look at an incident, they have GPS trace overlays, car data, and many camera angles to carefully analyse a driver's consistency of line and actions.

I have learned several times again this season that one camera angle may well not tell the whole story.

There is an agreed code of conduct that only one move across the track is allowed in defence of a position, and there is a further sporting trust between many of the drivers.

The 'one-move' arrangement can be complicated on an incident-by-incident case as to whether or not retaking the racing line for braking and turn-in constitutes a second move, or a right having successfully defended the position.

Furthermore, when trying to drop a car out of the slipstream on a long straight by weaving around, when does this become a block?

Hamilton fell foul of this in Malaysia on the long pit straight when moving four times in front of Alonso, having been warned the year before.
Continue reading the main story

Schumacher's secondary defensive moves were pushing the limits to the absolute extreme and he was lucky to get away with it

There were several questionable moves on Sunday by Schumacher - during braking into Ascari; the apparent sweep right pushing Hamilton onto the grass at Curva Grande; and the clear double move between the second chicane and first Lesmo corner.

It must be noted that Jenson Button cruised up and passed the pair of them in a handful of corners, and Hamilton made it quite clear his priority was finishing the race.

Sometimes you do get a psychological block when following a particular driver on a given day. I know that feeling well.

I also know the feeling of being on the receiving end of Schumacher's late moves, especially when I was his team-mate. He barged me on to the grass big time in Hungary in 1992.

But this is my view of Sunday.

Did we see a consistency of application of driving standards rules? No.

Have drivers been penalised for less than Schumacher did? Yes.

Has Hamilton been punished for less? Yes.

I thought Hamilton handled the post-race interviews very maturely.

With the information I have would I have penalised Schumacher in the race? No, we need quality racing and it's meant to be tough out there, but a reprimand may have been appropriate.

I stand by what I said in commentary - Schumacher was placing his car very well, but his secondary defensive moves were pushing the limits to the absolute extreme and he was lucky to get away with it.

Why are we sensitive to blocking?

It's the scourge of all junior racing, and will sooner rather than later cause the death of a driver or marshal, or send a car flying into the grandstands.

It's not about favouring one driver over another."

Even Brundle sees the bias against Hamilton now.

Full article below
Source: BBC Sport - http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/formula_one/14883755.stm

Belgarion of Riva

Back to top Go down

Brundle's take on Schumachers moves on Hamilton Empty Re: Brundle's take on Schumachers moves on Hamilton

Post by Guest Tue 13 Sep 2011, 10:44 am

Stewarding has been a disgrace this year, in my view has phychologically had a detrimental effect upon drivers decisions in races when attempting overtaking moves. I've watched f1 since the early 90's and collisions and incidents are what made the sport fantastic to watch, however the new stewardship completely destroyed the feeling of actual racing in f1 and that meant that no drivers attempted dangerous moves, bar hamilton who is a true racer. It is no fact artyon senna would be turning in his grave at the punishments given out for nothing offences.

The drivers agreed that the 2011 season would be a year where the stewards would investigate every collision or case of poor driving. Unfortunately for Hamilton he is the most aggressive driver on the grid and makes overtaking maneouvers out of nothing, some are successful and some not....thats racing. He was always going to be in the limelight and the stewards and ex drivers i.e lauda, were always waiting to punish someone with an offence to set their stall out for the season. The Malaysian grand prix incident of weaving against hamilton was an absolute disgrace. To be given a drive thru penalty for the evidence that was shown was ludicrous. Hamilton was never 'warned' unlike schumacher this weekend and the bias was clear and evident. Brundle maybe seeing the light but he only cares about Jenson. It's always Jenson this or Jenson that. Also the BBC forum after Monza was like a love-in, it was disgusting.

In my view with the tightened stewardship has had a negative effect upon the racing this season. drivers are just waiting for the artificial DRS zone which i'm not a fan of, in which to make their overtaking manoevre which requires no skill whatsoever in the majority of cases. Here they can make a clean move without a huge risk as alot of the drivers unlike Hamilton etc, lack the aggressive nature and sheer ability to pull of astonishing moves like the one webber pulled on alonso in spa. The bias is evident and clear but this season is over anyway. Hopefully positive changes can be made for next season.

Back to top Go down

Brundle's take on Schumachers moves on Hamilton Empty Re: Brundle's take on Schumachers moves on Hamilton

Post by Critical_mass Tue 13 Sep 2011, 10:55 am

John wrote:Hopefully positive changes can be made for next season.

Things wont change, i reckon how it is now is set to stay for a while.. unfortunately. Its ruining the sport for me and its not just things regarding Lewis. Daft penalties against other drivers are also ruining the sport. They are killing F1!

Critical_mass

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 13 Sep 2011, 11:13 am

agreed f1 is slowly being killed. the racing has gone and conservation of tyres is now the most important element to the so called 'f1 show'. with bizarre stewarding, a dominant team, DRS 'artificial overtaking' now taking over the entire race requiring no or limited skill and all this plays into the hands of the apparently world class, smooth operating, expert overtaking sensation that is known as Jenson Button. FIA what have you done???? the real racers are being handcuffed.....baffling!

Back to top Go down

Post by Belgarion of Riva Tue 13 Sep 2011, 12:05 pm

F1 is losing it. Look at Motogp, people are allowed to race without team orders and without stewards interfering.

Motogp will give you the racing fix. Hell, even Superbikes, gp2, karting etc. F1 has become a button pushing, tyre conservation, fake overtaking exercise. With one team dominating the sport, winning all the time. Racers lose out whilst scavengers get all the plaudits and a time trialist is a double world champion.

What a joke.

Belgarion of Riva

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 14 Sep 2011, 12:13 pm

couldnt agree more riva

Back to top Go down

Post by monty junior Wed 14 Sep 2011, 8:01 pm

Preserving tyres has always been a big part of F1, especially with the slicks of the 90s for example which could experience a 5 second drop off if drivers just went hell for leather with no care for them. I agree about the DRS, it is awful, but if they toned it down to say end up with half the advantage of the given top speed it helps give then its a worthwhile addition because lets face it the last 4 or 5 years, has had barely any overtaking compared to just now.

I don't get all the doom and gloom, Vettel has driven the best in the best car and made no mistakes, sometimes there just happens to be seasons like that. However i doubt redbull can keep it up and when they drop a bit there's 4 or 5 drivers good enough to win the championship. We might even get some new faces at the front because it does get a bit tiresome with the same guys in the best cars all the time.

monty junior

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down